Sign in to follow this  
Fromage Frais

The value of pre season

After having a crap weekend away with my moaning other half denying me me any access for football I return home to find thisWonderful 1-7 the cherry on the topInfact its a freak result the kind of result that you get when people have been thrown together with no test and suddenly they get one.YOu have to ask why we won most of the friendlies and then boomI cannot see this happening again I would take a bet that I could manage city against colchester and avoid a 1-7

pre-season counts for nothing its a fitness exercise, its points that make prizes and we have not got enough since gunn took over.

I was speaking to somebody before the game who went to the Wigan friendly. He told me that we played well, I told him that I would take his word for it (as I did not attend) but that a good pre season means absolutely zilch as it is all about fitness etc. I also reminded him that under Mike Wlaker (first time round) our pre season record was not good, but we did manage to compete in the top tier of English football despite this.

I can understand all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth but I agree with the poster that called it a freak result, play that game 99 more times and I doubt very much you would get a 7-1.

In some ways I would have been angrier if we had lost by a smaller margin, the freakiness of the 7-1 makes it hard to really judge how the season will pan out, that said certain players need to sort themselve out quickly!!

You really don''t think it will happen again? Why not?Personally I think it probably will happen again. Perhaps not with such an incredible scoreline but I genuinly believe unless changes are made we''ll see many more pitiful performances like that throughout the season.The hard times have only just begun. [:''(]

[quote user="Fromage Frais"]
After having a crap weekend away with my moaning other half denying me me any access for football I return home to find this

Wonderful 1-7 the cherry on the top

Infact its a freak result the kind of result that you get when people have been thrown together with no test and suddenly they get one.

YOu have to ask why we won most of the friendlies and then boom

I cannot see this happening again I would take a bet that I could manage city against colchester and avoid a 1-7
[/quote]

The reason is because pre season means absolutely zilch as a number of posters have been saying for the last few weeks. Most posters on this board however have their  heads so far up their arses and know so little about footy that they were convinced we had a team of word beaters.And if we do  actually win a game eventually they will all be talking about top 6 again! 

All the teams we faced in pre-season must be laughing at us now. Whereas they ran out for a fitness top up, and dusting off the cobwebs, we were considering our pre-season to be the equivalent of the World Cup. Just more embarrassment.

This is the kick up the arse that some of our players needed I guess.  I just got the impression that everyone swtiched off after Semis'' back pass.   Players who only turn up for 10 or 15 matches a season need a game like this once in a while, to remind them of what can happen if they switch off.   They won''t want this to happen again - maybe they''ll wake up for a while.135 points to play for.

[quote user="Beds Canary"]All the teams we faced in pre-season must be laughing at us now. Whereas they ran out for a fitness top up, and dusting off the cobwebs, we were considering our pre-season to be the equivalent of the World Cup. Just more embarrassment.
[/quote]

I''d be surprised if anyone is laughing or not those who know anything about football.  All of your pre season teams will have had similar experiences I am sure.

For the record Colchester''s was hitting the post and bar six times in the first 25 minutes away to Orient and losing 8-0, our worst ever defeat.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]This is the kick up the arse that some of our players needed I guess.  I just got the impression that everyone swtiched off after Semis'' back pass.   Players who only turn up for 10 or 15 matches a season need a game like this once in a while, to remind them of what can happen if they switch off.   They won''t want this to happen again - maybe they''ll wake up for a while.

135 points to play for.
[/quote]

I thought you went to pieces after the third goal - two is a challenge but the third leads the way to the mountain or so I have found.

I hate being 2-0 unless the third arrives.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]This is the kick up the arse that some of our players needed I guess.  I just got the impression that everyone swtiched off after Semis'' back pass.   Players who only turn up for 10 or 15 matches a season need a game like this once in a while, to remind them of what can happen if they switch off.   They won''t want this to happen again - maybe they''ll wake up for a while.135 points to play for.[/quote]

I thought you went to pieces after the third goal - two is a challenge but the third leads the way to the mountain or so I have found.

I hate being 2-0 unless the third arrives.

[/quote]Even so, Doherty seemed not to challenge Lisbie for the second goal, maybe because he didn''t have the pace to deal with him, maybe he was coasting.

[quote user="Sam-NCFC"]You really don''t think it will happen again? Why not?

Personally I think it probably will happen again. Perhaps not with such an incredible scoreline but I genuinly believe unless changes are made we''ll see many more pitiful performances like that throughout the season.

The hard times have only just begun. [:''(]
[/quote]

I agree - it could definatley happen again. When the fifth went in, throughout half-time I knew they would score more, and I was not disappointed! I see more thrashings whilst these guys are in charge of team selection/tactics

[quote user="blahblahblah"]This is the kick up the arse that some of our players needed I guess.  I just got the impression that everyone swtiched off after Semis'' back pass.   Players who only turn up for 10 or 15 matches a season need a game like this once in a while, to remind them of what can happen if they switch off.   They won''t want this to happen again - maybe they''ll wake up for a while.

135 points to play for.
[/quote]

They shouldn''t need a '' kick up the a*se '' already should they, BBB ?

This was the first competitive game of the season for God''s sake. 

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]This is the kick up the arse that some of our players needed I guess.  I just got the impression that everyone swtiched off after Semis'' back pass.   Players who only turn up for 10 or 15 matches a season need a game like this once in a while, to remind them of what can happen if they switch off.   They won''t want this to happen again - maybe they''ll wake up for a while.135 points to play for.[/quote]

They shouldn''t need a '' kick up the a*se '' already should they, BBB ?

This was the first competitive game of the season for God''s sake. 

[/quote]No arguments here Smithy...