Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Is Semmy Mostly To Blame?

Watching the goals a few times, clearly the goalkeeper has a complete stinker. BUT:- Semmy''s backpass started the collapse, his concentration YET AGAIN letting him down.- We played with 2 slow central defenders. They''re big players designed to be physical.Colchester primarily broke through us due to the pace of their attack...would it be fair to say that tactically, the two fullbacks (especially semmy due to his pace) were expected to cover the back 2 where possible...Not making an excuse or anything of the sort, and im certainly not excusing the mistakes Gunn clearly made (although after the Wigan game etc the starting eleven he chose was probably the best, and very few people would have argued with the line-up), just simply trying to make as much sense of what was a dire performance.

[quote user="glove1"]

1. like you said, it all started from his crap backpass
[/quote]And football''s a funny sport. Who knows, if it wasn''t for that mistake...it could have been a completely different story...thats football!

[quote user="glove1"]

1. like you said, it all started from his crap backpass

[/quote]

The first goal came from a terrible backpass (if that is what it was) which surprised your keeper who unfortunately compounded it by misreading the bounce, easier to do than some think, depending on where you are at the time.  However, he missed his contact so a 50-50 fault I would say.

I would say the first is a three way split actually. Otsemobor for his backpass, Theo for missing the ball and Nelson for not covering. In that situation I simply cant understand why, as the last man, Nelson runs towards the ball- if a player is challenging the goalkeeper in the air like that you cover behind in case the ball escapes your goalkeeper. If anything, Nelson was either going to foul Lisbie or impede Theo by jumping for that ball.

After that backpass I cant remember Semi doing anything particularly bad, to be honest- certainly, only one further goal came through his involvement and that was because the cross came in from his side. The majority of the Col U goals came down the left or from long balls knocked down through Platt.

However, I have been known to the odd error of judgement so perhaps I just favour Otsemobor.

I know I''ve been banging on about it all day, but Otsemobor''s total inconsistency makes him a liability. Consistency is one of the major attributes of a defender - goalie most of all - as one lapse of concentration can quickly lead to a goal.A certain amount of variability can actually be an asset in a forward; Thierry Henry has built a career out of being totally anonymous for 80 mins. & devastating for the other 10 (or even less).Otsemobor simply cannot be used as a defender any longer.

[quote user="Shyster"]Ultimately, the blame lies with the Board, the manager & the coaching staff.[/quote]And because I''m feeling particularly generous; penultimately, the ''supporters'' who''ve financed the sh*t on display in the last five years.

[quote user="Shyster"]Ultimately, the blame lies with the Board, the manager & the coaching staff.[/quote]That maybe true, but Semmys still fcuking useless.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I know I''ve been banging on about it all day, but Otsemobor''s total inconsistency makes him a liability. Consistency is one of the major attributes of a defender - goalie most of all - as one lapse of concentration can quickly lead to a goal.A certain amount of variability can actually be an asset in a forward; Thierry Henry has built a career out of being totally anonymous for 80 mins. & devastating for the other 10 (or even less).Otsemobor simply cannot be used as a defender any longer.[/quote]Agree with all of that. One of Semmy''s first attacking runs got him into the box, and you think "Oh, looks like he might continue from where he left off pre-season" but because of his inconsistency and lack of concentration, the next thing i remember him doing is that back pass.

[quote user="ron obvious"]
I know I''ve been banging on about it all day, but Otsemobor''s total inconsistency makes him a liability. Consistency is one of the major attributes of a defender - goalie most of all - as one lapse of concentration can quickly lead to a goal.
A certain amount of variability can actually be an asset in a forward; Thierry Henry has built a career out of being totally anonymous for 80 mins. & devastating for the other 10 (or even less).

Otsemobor simply cannot be used as a defender any longer.

[/quote]

I cannot say about Semmy as I have not seen him play that much but that was certainly a monstrous back pass.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]
I know I''ve been banging on about it all day, but Otsemobor''s total inconsistency makes him a liability. Consistency is one of the major attributes of a defender - goalie most of all - as one lapse of concentration can quickly lead to a goal.
A certain amount of variability can actually be an asset in a forward; Thierry Henry has built a career out of being totally anonymous for 80 mins. & devastating for the other 10 (or even less).

Otsemobor simply cannot be used as a defender any longer.

[/quote]

I cannot say about Semmy as I have not seen him play that much but that was certainly a monstrous back pass.

[/quote]

Not least for the fact that he probably didn''t know where his keeper was.[:P]

No way.

I think that Semmy is awful, don''t get me wrong. In fact he is the worst right back I have ever seen play for city.

But...... for me the worst player on the pitch was Theo.

I don''t think that he can recover from it, this is Massimo Tiabi X 10.

I dont doubt that hes an alright keeper, but I just cant see him recovering from this. If Gunn starts him next game then I am officially boycotting the club.

The only way back for Theo for me would be to loan him to the conference and see how he gets on, if he cant cut it there then he can be sent home.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]I know I''ve been banging on about it all day, but Otsemobor''s total inconsistency makes him a liability. Consistency is one of the major attributes of a defender - goalie most of all - as one lapse of concentration can quickly lead to a goal.A certain amount of variability can actually be an asset in a forward; Thierry Henry has built a career out of being totally anonymous for 80 mins. & devastating for the other 10 (or even less).Otsemobor simply cannot be used as a defender any longer.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not least for the fact that he probably didn''t know where his keeper was.[:P]

[/quote]Probably because he had his eyes closed. He''s a complete muppet!

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]No way.

I think that Semmy is awful, don''t get me wrong. In fact he is the worst right back I have ever seen play for city.

But...... for me the worst player on the pitch was Theo.

I don''t think that he can recover from it, this is Massimo Tiabi X 10.

I dont doubt that hes an alright keeper, but I just cant see him recovering from this. If Gunn starts him next game then I am officially boycotting the club.

The only way back for Theo for me would be to loan him to the conference and see how he gets on, if he cant cut it there then he can be sent home.[/quote]I see where you''re coming from.At the same time, a half decent defensive display would have meant..at worst probably...3 of the 7 goals actually being possible. Depending on the pick of those 3, many would be dissapointed by his display but not the extent at which they are now.I''m not defending him (much like Semmy, Doc, Nelson and Drury weren''t [:D]), but if he has the guts to come out on Tuesday to a very loyal travelling fanbase, it show''s a mindset better than him sloping down into the reserves.

[quote user="loz h"]the blame lies with delia she controls the purse strings[/quote]

Even for plonker back passes?  Blimey, there''s a thing.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]I see where your coming from too Hogesar, I just dont want to see us lose away to Yeovil![/quote]Neither do i [:)]...

That''s why i''m not going [:D]I think we have to look at in a different light - it can''t possibly get any worse than yesterday [;)]

Yes but No. If this was a few years back and we had Fleming/ Mackay in the team im sure he would perform better, with less errors. He needs the captain, Doherty, to put his arm round him and give him a bit of guidence and a bit of stability, not to push him out more. Which prooves one thing, Doc cant be captain. For me all the back 5, bar Drury are in disgrace, and its made worse by their inability to talk to eah other.

Drury is no disgrace. But he is way past his best now. His body has gone in my opinion, he had the pace of an OAP yesterday and still looked like our best defender.

I assume that the club will make no efforts to try and persuade Stefanovic to stay?

I like all of you at the time put the blame on the keeper but after having seen the goals on tele its quite clearly the defence which was the main proplem with semmy being the main culprit. With the first goal the keeper should of dealt with it better but he never should of been faced with a back pass like that, The second maybe the keeper could of held it but than again our defenders were ball watching allowing the striker to nip in un challenged for the rebound. So i would stick with the keeper swap semmy for spillane askou for nelson. Adi i think will come into midfield in place of tj who is with wales and cody has got to start up front, there were signs when he came on that him and holt might work well together. This is gunn''s real big test of how good a manager he is by how city respond on tuesday and saturday.

OTBC

Dean

I dont think I have ever seen a more pathetic "backpass" by a profesional footballer in all my life. Where was the need for it? Boot the ball up field, in the stand, anywhere but there. The boy has serious concentration issues. If Spillane doesn''t start at Yeovil theres something wrong

The backpass was the catalyst to everything that followed.  It was lazy and the most ridiculous back pass imaginable and was inevitably going to put the keeper under pressure.  If you back pass dont do it so it can go in the goal,  keep it on the ground and preferably to the keepers prefered kicking foot.

Yet JOke defender decides to loft the ball so that it was ALWAYS going to bounce(!) higher than the keepers head and if left untouiched was    Even if Lisbie had not followed in early without being able to use his hands to control,  the best he could do is chest it down before clearing - giving the u players plenty of time to put theo under a lot of pressure.

Its clear that if he was paying attention that there were colchester players were close enough to cause problems - yet his still chose to a back pass and b do it how he did.

If he choses to put the ball oout for a throw or just clear over his shoulder tehre is no pressure and we are still 0-0.

The man is a dozy liability and must be dropped.  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

The man is a dozy liability and must be dropped.  

[/quote]

The most succinct description of Semmy i''ve heard