Sign in to follow this  
Lord Flashheart

This Whole 'Hoping That City Loose' Thing

As far as I can tell hoping that City lose is the thing to do because constant defeats will get Gunn sacked, allowing another manager to take charge and hopefully do better. Call me an old traditionalist but I always thought the best thing for a team to do after a drubbing is to build up a winning mentality and start making up for lost ground as soon as possible. Judging by recent threads I''m starting to wonder whether I''m totally wrong about this. [:S]

Bryan Gunn is a decent guy I will never bet or wish bad things against a decent person nor will I never wish the team loose.If its not a freak result he will be relieved sooner rather than later.I felt the signings where good and thus I am not going to change down to one result (though what a crap result).

Thanks for that, FF. [Y] Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S]

Don''t understand wanting anything other than a Norwich win each and every time. Yes Saturday hurts like hell - but how does wanting us to lose cheer anyone up....

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Thanks for that, FF. [Y] Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S]
[/quote]

I think it may be the one step forward two steps backwards scenario that people are hoping to avoid.  Yes, it would be marvellous if Gunn got us promoted and had us in the Prem in three years time say, but for many that is never going to happen.  While we may pick up some wins under Gunn, some people (many now I am guessing) think that ultimately he will not be successful and will at somepoint during the season or the end of it be sacked and we will either be relegated again or have a poor season and finish in the lower half.  So, in hoping to avoid the said scenario, if we lose the next 6 games say, Gunn will be got rid of sooner rather than later and there may still be enough time to turn things around.

I could have said that a lot easier by just saying to avoid delaying the inevitable.

[:)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Thanks for that, FF. [Y] Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S][/quote]

I think it may be the one step forward two steps backwards scenario that people are hoping to avoid.  Yes, it would be marvellous if Gunn got us promoted and had us in the Prem in three years time say, but for many that is never going to happen.  While we may pick up some wins under Gunn, some people (many now I am guessing) think that ultimately he will not be successful and will at somepoint during the season or the end of it be sacked and we will either be relegated again or have a poor season and finish in the lower half.  So, in hoping to avoid the said scenario, if we lose the next 6 games say, Gunn will be got rid of sooner rather than later and there may still be enough time to turn things around.

I could have said that a lot easier by just saying to avoid delaying the inevitable.

[:)]

[/quote]Excellent reply. [Y] It seems that the "I hope City lose" attitude is only sensible if you assume that Gunn will inevitably fail. Thus, a run of losses would increase the chances of his dismissal sooner rather than later, giving the new manager a better chance of staging a recovery. However, can we really be that sure that Gunn is doomed to failure? Football is a fickle mistress and I doubt I could make that call with any degree of certainty, at least not enough to accept that City losing would be for their own long term benefit. [*-)]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]As far as I can tell hoping that City lose is the thing to do because constant defeats will get Gunn sacked, allowing another manager to take charge and hopefully do better. Call me an old traditionalist but I always thought the best thing for a team to do after a drubbing is to build up a winning mentality and start making up for lost ground as soon as possible. Judging by recent threads I''m starting to wonder whether I''m totally wrong about this. [:S]
[/quote]

I agree and until Delia goes she will just apoint more rubbish anyway.

I dont suport Gunn, in fact I think he should never have steped up to the plate in the first place, but I could never want NCFC to lose.  If you did, what would be the point of going, you might as well throw your season ticket in now!

Thinking about it maybe thats why some people want us to lose, as they dont go!

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Thanks for that, FF. [Y] Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S][/quote]

It''s more a case of ''knowing'' that he''ll continue to fail rather than one of ''wishing'' him to fail; so with that in mind people are wanting defeat to move things along and get Fester out quicker before further damage is done.Christ, it isn''t rocket science, Flashfart. [:P]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Thanks for that, FF. [Y] Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S][/quote]

It''s more a case of ''knowing'' that he''ll continue to fail rather than one of ''wishing'' him to fail; so with that in mind people are wanting defeat to move things along and get Fester out quicker before further damage is done.Christ, it isn''t rocket science, Flashfart. [:P][/quote]If it''s more a case of ''knowing'' that he''ll fail then why bother even ''hoping'' that he will? If it''s going to happen then it''s going to happen, dipshit. [;)]

[quote user="coops"]Lose!!!! Not loose (as in when something isn''t tight)[/quote]It was a typo. Owing to the lack of edit button I was powerless to correct it. [:(]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]

Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S]
[/quote]

So if people are hoping we lose as you suggest, why are they so upset about Saturday''s result?  They should be delighted.  Your logic is flawed.

I''m one of the forums more pessimistic posters but I don''t HOPE city will lose ANY game. I am a supporter even if my posts can be abit negative and OTT at times. My gripe is mainly with the board as I see them as the start of all our problems. They have no money, ideas or ambition, they employ cheap managers with zero experience and give him no transfer budget at all, ending with the club fielding a crap team of freebies.

Now I know I''m digressing alittle but the point is it''s hard to support any part of that (including the team at times) when it all stems from those at the top. However as I''ve said already I don''t hope for the team to lose EVER.

I sincerely hope we stuff Yeovil but I see it as unlikely.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]

Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S][/quote]

So if people are hoping we lose as you suggest, why are they so upset about Saturday''s result?  They should be delighted.  Your logic is flawed.

[/quote]I''m not the one hoping that City lose. [:S] http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1794491/ShowPost.aspx

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Thanks for that, FF. [Y] Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S][/quote]

It''s more a case of ''knowing'' that he''ll continue to fail rather than one of ''wishing'' him to fail; so with that in mind people are wanting defeat to move things along and get Fester out quicker before further damage is done.Christ, it isn''t rocket science, Flashfart. [:P][/quote]If it''s more a case of ''knowing'' that he''ll fail then why bother even ''hoping'' that he will? If it''s going to happen then it''s going to happen, dipshit. [;)][/quote]

Oh dear, are you stupid? Yes, if it''s going to happen then it''s going to happen, but the people who want defeat want it to ''happen'' sooner so''s Fester is ousted sooner.Do you get it now?

Anus.

[quote user="Ren"]

I dont suport Gunn, in fact I think he should never have steped up to the plate in the first place, but I could never want NCFC to lose.  If you did, what would be the point of going, you might as well throw your season ticket in now!

Thinking about it maybe thats why some people want us to lose, as they dont go!

[/quote]

Nail on the head there Ren. Nobody whose making the trip to Yeovil tomorrow wants us to lose. What would be the point of going?

It''s the armchair boys, valuable fans in their own right mind, who want us to lose. They are more detatched so see things from a different perspective.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Call me an old traditionalist but I always thought the best thing for a team to do after a drubbing is to build up a winning mentality and start making up for lost ground as soon as possible. Judging by recent threads I''m starting to wonder whether I''m totally wrong about this. [:S][/quote]You are just a better fan, that''s all.

I will never blame Gunn for his failure which I am sure will come about if it has not all ready. The blame lies squarely with the owners for appointing him. You cannot really blame the guy for taking the job because anybody in his position with such a love for the club would do the same thing.

With the current owners we will never be successful. No manager will ever change this. So getting rid of Gunn does not solve anything. Things will only change when new owners are running the show. Maybe an inept manager with no prior experience is exactly what we need to have any chance of bringing this change about.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Thanks for that, FF. [Y] Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S][/quote]

It''s more a case of ''knowing'' that he''ll continue to fail rather than one of ''wishing'' him to fail; so with that in mind people are wanting defeat to move things along and get Fester out quicker before further damage is done.Christ, it isn''t rocket science, Flashfart. [:P][/quote]If it''s more a case of ''knowing'' that he''ll fail then why bother even ''hoping'' that he will? If it''s going to happen then it''s going to happen, dipshit. [;)][/quote]

Oh dear, are you stupid? Yes, if it''s going to happen then it''s going to happen, but the people who want defeat want it to ''happen'' sooner so''s Fester is ousted sooner.Do you get it now?

Anus.

[/quote]Oh no I''ve upset the resident brain. [:P]I''m well aware of why they want us to lose, but I just find it rather strange when the possibility exists that we''ll win.When I grow up Shyster, I want to be as clever as you. [;)]

The sad thing is the only thing that might save us or sort us out is administration.

You know the answer to this Flash. They want defeat for the ''greater good'' (have you seen Hot Fuzz?) because we will likely lose fewer points over the season if we were to lose a few games now and then get a quality manager in.

Whilst there is a chance we could win each game, the likelihood over the course of a season is that we will lose more and win fewer than we would under say Martin O''Neill. Even you can''t argue with that can you? Gunn has shown he is no exceptional manager over the course of 20 games. He has no prior experience. I''m not sure if he even has coaching badges? What more evidence do you need to know we are not going to excel or get the most out of the players we have with him in charge?

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Thanks for that, FF. [Y] Still doesn''t get to the bottom of why some people think that wishing their team to get thumped each week makes more sense than just hoping that they get a grip and move onwards and upwards. [*-)] Having no confidence in Gunn is one thing, but hoping that he fails? Seems a little bit strange to me. [:S][/quote]

Anus.

[/quote]Oh no I''ve upset the resident brain. [:P]I''m well aware of why they want us to lose, but I just find it rather strange when the possibility exists that we''ll win.When I grow up Shyster, I want to be as clever as you. [;)][/quote]

Keep reading my posts and you''ll soon learn son.

[;)]

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]

You know the answer to this Flash. They want defeat for the ''greater good'' (have you seen Hot Fuzz?) because we will likely lose fewer points over the season if we were to lose a few games now and then get a quality manager in.

Whilst there is a chance we could win each game, the likelihood over the course of a season is that we will lose more and win fewer than we would under say Martin O''Neill. Even you can''t argue with that can you? Gunn has shown he is no exceptional manager over the course of 20 games. He has no prior experience. I''m not sure if he even has coaching badges? What more evidence do you need to know we are not going to excel or get the most out of the players we have with him in charge?

[/quote]It''s it''s all down to probabilities then what makes them so sure that we''ll get in a "quality maanger"? What more evidence do they need that City don''t tend to get those very often? [*-)]Just to recap, I''ve no confidence in Gunn from what I''ve seen but for as long as he''s here I''ll hope he can turn things around. To me this seems sensible, to others it seems ridiculous. [:P]

I think the point is that very few fans have any confidence left in the management team.  And how could they after such games as Norwich 0-2 Reading, Charlton 4-2 Norwich and now, with his "own team" in place, Norwich 1-7 Colchester.I don''t want City to lose.  I want them to start winning games.  I don''t believe that will happen under Gunn, his record over the last 20 games proves me more or less right on that point, and therefore I want him to leave the manager''s job as soon as possible.  And if it means we have to lose a few more games until the scales are removed from the eyes of the Chief Exec, then so be it.

[quote user="coops"]The sad thing is the only thing that might save us or sort us out is administration.[/quote]

No.. winning football matches is what''s needed.

Many of us who don''t believe Gunn is the man to make that happen don''t blame him. He obviously still believes he can and if the guy proves me wrong I will apologise to him and be the happiest "proved wrong fan" in the world. I personally don''t blame anyone but that puts me well in the minority.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Just to recap, I''ve no confidence in Gunn from what I''ve seen but for as long as he''s here I''ll hope he can turn things around. To me this seems sensible, to others it seems ridiculous. [:P][/quote]It makes sense, we all want our team to do well.But while you may *hope* for him to turn it round, on the basis of what you''ve seen so far, do you honestly believe he and his sidekicks have what it takes?

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]As far as I can tell hoping that City lose is the thing to do because constant defeats will get Gunn sacked, allowing another manager to take charge and hopefully do better. Call me an old traditionalist but I always thought the best thing for a team to do after a drubbing is to build up a winning mentality and start making up for lost ground as soon as possible. Judging by recent threads I''m starting to wonder whether I''m totally wrong about this. [:S][/quote]

this is the situation we find our selves in! its sad we have to resort to this,but delia will not accept the mistakes and blindly hopes Gunn will luck out, sooner there gone the better!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Just to recap, I''ve no confidence in Gunn from what I''ve seen but for as long as he''s here I''ll hope he can turn things around. To me this seems sensible, to others it seems ridiculous. [:P][/quote]It makes sense, we all want our team to do well.But while you may *hope* for him to turn it round, on the basis of what you''ve seen so far, do you honestly believe he and his sidekicks have what it takes?[/quote]From what I''ve seen so far I''m rather sceptical to say the least, but I wouldn''t say I''m totally convinced that he will fail, and thus I feel rather resevered in calling for his head. I remember feeling the same way that season we reached the playoff final. We were battered 4-0 on the opening day by Millwall (?). Confidence was low, fans were pessimistic, some were even calling for Worthington''s head. We looked anything but a team who were destined to do rather well in the end. It''s things like this that make football the difficult to predict game that it is, and on that basis I guess I''m just a little more cautious when it comes to questions of whether we have the right man in charge or not. [*-)]

I don''t get why people want us to lose.........

My opinion is that Gunn should be given 10 games but..............

If we lose the next 2 games (especially if we suffer another bad defeat)  I think the board will act quickly.

Maybe trying to get Steve Coppell out of retirement wouldnt be a bad thing?