Sign in to follow this  
Shannock Bob

Ashamed to be a Canary yesterday

This post is not a pop at the team for yesterdays woeful performance which I obviously agree was simply awful but at the city ''fans'' treatment of the team and Gunny yesterday.

Never before have I been so uncomfortable sitting at Carrow Road. I think the way some fans behaved yesterday when things had gone wrong was shocking. Yes Theoklitos made some howlers but this was the poor lads debut and the biggest game of his career. He is obviously got some talent. He wouldnt be here if not, The calls for him to f*ck off home to Oz were terrible. Jeers of derision each time the ball approached him are not going to help this guys confidence one bit.

I was sitting in the Aviva Community stand for the first time. There were lots of children around with their families yet the atmosphere up there stunk due to several guys who polluted the air throughout. One guy in particular was the worst offender. Jumping on the players backs from the first mistake. It was indeed him that asked for Theoklitos to go home and that he would even pay for his ticket. I my friend would rather you p*ssed off somewhere and took your silly little hat with you because you and you can take the two morons who confronted Gunny with you for you are not the sort of fans we need right now.

This is a new Norwich City. Yes, yesterdays performance was fresh out of last season and what we are used to nowadays, but we will get better... These players will get better once they get used to playing as a team in a competitive environment. We just need to have a little bit more patience and faith. Yesterday was awful, it was still only 3 points dropped. We need to get behind the lads AND Gunny and things will come good. The changes we have seen this close season were huge and will not come together without a few hitches. Lets treat this as the wake up call that we probably needed to show us this wont be a walk in the park and all pull together and start heading in the right direction.

OTBC

100% Agree with this.

We''re only 3 points off Automatic promotion!!!

Also, last season''s League 2 playoffs:

Gillingham 1 - 0 Shrewsbury.

Last season''s corresponding fixture in the league:

Gillingham 0 - 8 Shrewsbury.

Spot on mate, I felt particularly sorry for Theo. Some Barclay fans even started doing that awful "you''re sh.it aarghhh!" chant when he took goal kicks. Must have done his cofidence a power of good that one.

Some good points, Bob.

A fair rule to follow, in football as in life, is that "Nothing is ever as good, or as bad, as it seems at the time". Clearly our new team was not as good as some wanted to believe based on some meaningless pre season friendlies; equally things (probably) aren''t as bad as they seemed yesterday. Days when everything the opposition does seems to result in a goal (which was the case for Col U for the first thirty minutes) can happen to every team once in a while and it doesn''t automatically make the team on the receiving end a total disaster. If memory serves, the last time we lost 7-1 (Blackburn) we nearly won the Premiership. I''m not comparing this team to that, good grief, the point is simply that things may not be quite as bad as they appear right now. A corner count of 7-1 in our favour does confirm that the 7-1 scoreline didn''t tell the whole story. I thought Wes, Cody and Adyemi showed promise, I wouldn''t give up in Whalley, Tudor Jones or Holt based on what they did as the team disintegrated around them, and I look forward to seeing if Maric and Askou''s good pre season form translates into anything more.

Bur, clearly, there''s a lot that needs serious attention:

1. The atmosphere was electric for ten minutes, the team played well (no, really), then Semmy played his ridiculous back pass and Theo flapped at it, and the ground went quiet. Where was the rousing rendition of OTBC that used to follow opposing goals? I put this first not because it''s the most important factor (it isn''t) but because it''s the only one we fans can directly affect. if we don''t do our bit, not much good whining about the players not doing their but.

2.There''s a chronic lack of pace down the spine of the team. Doc and Nelson clearly can''t play together as every time the ball was pushed past them they react like lumbering oil tankers trying to turn. Ditto Gill and Tuodr Jones. And ditto Holt and Martin. Holt and Cody (who has pace) looked a much better pairing, maybe Maric would work with one or the other. TJ and Adeyemi (who has pace) looked better too. And if Askou isn''t quick either, than maybe Doc / Askou and Spillane (who is quick for a central defender)?

3. Gunny worries me. I wouldn''t have picked him at the start, but I thought he seemed to be addressing the key issues (loan players etc). But his response yesterday - no changes at half time, never used the third substitute at all (what message does that send to those on the bench????) and that awful "I can''t explain anything" interview on Radio Norfolk had all the hallmarks of a rabbit caught in the headlights. i shall never blame him for taking the job, he thought he could do it, but he needs to start looking, at least, as if he knows what he''s doing pretty quick.

4. The goalkeeper. I used to play in goal, and you do get days like that. I remember one 5-1 defeat to this day when I seemed to fluff every shot I got. It didn''t make me a bad keeper, and so I''ll reserve judgement on Theo, but the fact that despite the "no loans" policy we brought in Alnwick when we already had Theo, Rudd and Steer rang alarm bells even before this match that all was not well. Gunn needs to get a grip quickly.

But to return to Bob''s post, we need to get behind the team. It''s bound to take time to gel, and the good pre season may have done us a disservice in obscuring that and raising expectations. At least during the game, let''s get behind them. Afterwards demonstrate, come on here and whinge, but during the game that''s all we can do, surely. The chant that hurt most from the Colchester fans yesterday was the ironic "Loyal Supporters" one at us and I don''t want to give anyone else the chance to sing that.

We have been getting behind them for ages now (all of last season and before).Do not even try and blame any of the fans for yesterday. When the team performs so will the fans.

[quote user="Shannock Bob"]

This post is not a pop at the team for yesterdays woeful performance which I obviously agree was simply awful but at the city ''fans'' treatment of the team and Gunny yesterday.

Never before have I been so uncomfortable sitting at Carrow Road. I think the way some fans behaved yesterday when things had gone wrong was shocking. Yes Theoklitos made some howlers but this was the poor lads debut and the biggest game of his career. He is obviously got some talent. He wouldnt be here if not, The calls for him to f*ck off home to Oz were terrible. Jeers of derision each time the ball approached him are not going to help this guys confidence one bit.

I was sitting in the Aviva Community stand for the first time. There were lots of children around with their families yet the atmosphere up there stunk due to several guys who polluted the air throughout. One guy in particular was the worst offender. Jumping on the players backs from the first mistake. It was indeed him that asked for Theoklitos to go home and that he would even pay for his ticket. I my friend would rather you p*ssed off somewhere and took your silly little hat with you because you and you can take the two morons who confronted Gunny with you for you are not the sort of fans we need right now.

This is a new Norwich City. Yes, yesterdays performance was fresh out of last season and what we are used to nowadays, but we will get better... These players will get better once they get used to playing as a team in a competitive environment. We just need to have a little bit more patience and faith. Yesterday was awful, it was still only 3 points dropped. We need to get behind the lads AND Gunny and things will come good. The changes we have seen this close season were huge and will not come together without a few hitches. Lets treat this as the wake up call that we probably needed to show us this wont be a walk in the park and all pull together and start heading in the right direction.

OTBC

[/quote]

I don''t believe this.

Good old Gunny 1-7 our record home defeat, in the lowest level of footy we''ve played in for ages. Well done all you wonderful players too.

Gunn couldn''t manage the traffic on the spine road.

Do me a favour. For YEARS now the fans of this club have near enough filled the stadium and keep putting money into the club. Players need to accept that thissort of stick happens in football. Kevin Lisbie got stick from the Barclay too yesterday, as did Titus Bramble last weekend. Should we apologise to them? No, of course not. If Jon Otsemobor plays excellent against Wigan, but rubbish against Colchester, do you think that''s ok? There''s only so much confidence one can try and instill into somebody, the rest has to come from within.

Theoklitos had ALREADY PLAYED FOR US last week. He looked like a totally different keeper yesterday.

I too was ashamed yesterday, but for different reasons. I''m ashamed because of the stick I got the moment I got home, people rightfully laughing at me in my City shirt which I still attempted to wear with pride. I''m ashamed because I''ve constantly sang the praises of the players and Gunn as a manager. I''m ashamed because we had such a brilliant pre-season where not only did we not lose a game, but brought in what looked life half decent players in the process.

I''m ashamed about what happened yesterday and I''ve never been in such a bad mood over a sporting event ever. Even relegation was easier to take than this absolute trash. Neil Adams hit the nail on the head yesterday on canary call. If we can''t produce when the sun is shining, the pitch is excellent and we''ve got a full house, how the hell are we going to cope on a wet wednesday night in December against the likes of Carlisle?

Unless there is a rapid turnaround this month, Gunn simply must stand down for an experienced and dependable manager capable of first and foremost preventing us from slumping further. I love Gunn, he IS a Norwich legend. But his managerial reign here is fast becoming a joke. And after such a good pre-season too.

OTBC

[/quote]Pass me the sick bag.So we aren''t allowed to show disproval during the worst home defeat in our clubs 107 year history? In our first game in the 3rd tier of english football in 50 years?WE ARE SO LOW RIGHT NOW. WAKE THE F**K UP.

Bob you are not alone in being ashamed. It''s a shame you were subjected to the views of those who were making it painful for you, but sadly the efforts, thoughts and utterances of fellow supporters paled into insignificance compared to the nightmare played out on the pitch. You can''t call it a match as that signifies two teams. There was one team, Colchester and eleven so called players in Norwich City colours.

As I was at the opposite end to you (Lower Barclay) I can''t really recall anything out of order chanted towards the team or Gunn. The fact the crowd started singing the classic Gunn "no hair" song after about 5 minutes and the words stuck in my throat. Vivid recollections of Charlton came back and I couldn''t sing it, and probably never will again.

There were plenty of expletives used, and there always are, it''s a football match and even in family areas you are going to get people mouthing off, it''s the nature of the beast. During matches where we are losing we get boos, name calling etc. Yesterday was something else.

We lost 7-1 at home in a league we haven''t been in for 50 years. I am sorry but I think the crowd, considering the circumstances behaved well.

You state this is a new Norwich City. No, it''s not, it''s the same NCFC we have had for the past 5 or so seasons, a team who are lacking in determination, team spirit and guile, coupled with a manager who can''t motivate them and a team on the pitch without a reliable and upbeat captain to sort them out. Looking further up the food chain we are still owned by someone who gave Gunn, Butterworth and Crook the job because "they deserved it". That''s right, rewarding failure and just crossing fingers and hoping for the best.

The players may well get better, but not under those conditions. IF they can''t react to putting on a good performance on the first day of the season, react positively to a full house then they should not be professional footballers.

Patience and faith. For those of us who have been here since the start of Delia''s reign, the patience is wearing thin. The faith went years ago.

Yes it was a wake up call, but ask yourself, just who needs to be woken up.

OTBC

[/quote]And there ladies and gents is the reason our once great football club is at its lowest point in 50 years, fans who will forever be in denial. And those 2 guys are exactly the type of fans we need right now, they alone have got us into every national paper today and have made people sit up and realise that not all is well at Delias little toy club.

[quote user="IncH_HigH"][quote user="Shannock Bob"]

OTBC

[/quote]

And there ladies and gents is the reason our once great football club is at its lowest point in 50 years, fans who will forever be in denial. And those 2 guys are exactly the type of fans we need right now, they alone have got us into every national paper today and have made people sit up and realise that not all is well at Delias little toy club.
[/quote]

Agree with you totally Inch High

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Bob you are not alone in being ashamed. It''s a shame you were subjected to the views of those who were making it painful for you, but sadly the efforts, thoughts and utterances of fellow supporters paled into insignificance compared to the nightmare played out on the pitch. You can''t call it a match as that signifies two teams. There was one team, Colchester and eleven so called players in Norwich City colours. As I was at the opposite end to you (Lower Barclay) I can''t really recall anything out of order chanted towards the team or Gunn. The fact the crowd started singing the classic Gunn "no hair" song after about 5 minutes and the words stuck in my throat. Vivid recollections of Charlton came back and I couldn''t sing it, and probably never will again. There were plenty of expletives used, and there always are, it''s a football match and even in family areas you are going to get people mouthing off, it''s the nature of the beast. During matches where we are losing we get boos, name calling etc. Yesterday was something else. We lost 7-1 at home in a league we haven''t been in for 50 years. I am sorry but I think the crowd, considering the circumstances behaved well. You state this is a new Norwich City. No, it''s not, it''s the same NCFC we have had for the past 5 or so seasons, a team who are lacking in determination, team spirit and guile, coupled with a manager who can''t motivate them and a team on the pitch without a reliable and upbeat captain to sort them out. Looking further up the food chain we are still owned by someone who gave Gunn, Butterworth and Crook the job because "they deserved it". That''s right, rewarding failure and just crossing fingers and hoping for the best. The players may well get better, but not under those conditions. IF they can''t react to putting on a good performance on the first day of the season, react positively to a full house then they should not be professional footballers. Patience and faith. For those of us who have been here since the start of Delia''s reign, the patience is wearing thin. The faith went years ago. Yes it was a wake up call, but ask yourself, just who needs to be woken up.[/quote]

Hear, hear, well said and well written

Well done Shannock Bob.

Having lost a load of sleep last night after that crap performance following many similar performances and culminating in the the worse ones courtesy of that tactical master and highly qualified coach Gunn. I thought well at least we haven''t had ''blame the crowd'' posts.

My faith in the theory of why this club is where it is has just been confirmed .... yet again!

Bob,With fans like you Delia will remain here for years, you will be on the Pink un blaming the fans for having a go at the shite overpaid players we have playing for us in the Conference!It is great to know we still have fans prepared to sit in silence while our club falls apart. Lets blame the fans for it all.I am speechless at your post!

OTBC

[/quote]

3 years now and same how long to you propose we continue to put with this!As for theo he gets 2or 3 grand a  week!, 6 goals he was at fault for duvet or not..thats ridiculous!2 lads on the pitch..legends! The fact is happy clappers continue to cast a blind eye over whats going on, continue to hope he lucks out! The clubs a mess the quicker we all wake, and stand together the quicker we will get out ofthis mess!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Bob you are not alone in being ashamed. It''s a shame you were subjected to the views of those who were making it painful for you, but sadly the efforts, thoughts and utterances of fellow supporters paled into insignificance compared to the nightmare played out on the pitch. You can''t call it a match as that signifies two teams. There was one team, Colchester and eleven so called players in Norwich City colours. As I was at the opposite end to you (Lower Barclay) I can''t really recall anything out of order chanted towards the team or Gunn. The fact the crowd started singing the classic Gunn "no hair" song after about 5 minutes and the words stuck in my throat. Vivid recollections of Charlton came back and I couldn''t sing it, and probably never will again. There were plenty of expletives used, and there always are, it''s a football match and even in family areas you are going to get people mouthing off, it''s the nature of the beast. During matches where we are losing we get boos, name calling etc. Yesterday was something else. We lost 7-1 at home in a league we haven''t been in for 50 years. I am sorry but I think the crowd, considering the circumstances behaved well. You state this is a new Norwich City. No, it''s not, it''s the same NCFC we have had for the past 5 or so seasons, a team who are lacking in determination, team spirit and guile, coupled with a manager who can''t motivate them and a team on the pitch without a reliable and upbeat captain to sort them out. Looking further up the food chain we are still owned by someone who gave Gunn, Butterworth and Crook the job because "they deserved it". That''s right, rewarding failure and just crossing fingers and hoping for the best. The players may well get better, but not under those conditions. IF they can''t react to putting on a good performance on the first day of the season, react positively to a full house then they should not be professional footballers. Patience and faith. For those of us who have been here since the start of Delia''s reign, the patience is wearing thin. The faith went years ago. Yes it was a wake up call, but ask yourself, just who needs to be woken up.[/quote]

Excellent put and spot on as always gazza.

Just got home this morning from a 600 mile round trip,i have supported NORWICH for over 50 years.Yesterday was the worst day of my life,I arrived with such high expectations only to be treated to that rubbish,I love Norwich as much as life itself but now i am HURT ,ASHAMED and feel totally HUMILIATED, I just hope that the players feel this bad.I don''t blame Gunny,but I do blame the team! Please, Please,Please when will someone realise that Doc is not good enough to be in the squad, yet alone Captain, he never was and never will be,there lies most of our problems over the past few seasons,I thought he only played because we had no one else,now we have, so he must now go.My only hope is that someone within the club reads this! and lets the players know how hurt and disappointed we all are.You have badly let down 25,000 loyal fans.

[quote user="colwyn canary"]Just got home this morning from a 600 mile round trip,i have supported NORWICH for over 50 years.Yesterday was the worst day of my life,I arrived with such high expectations only to be treated to that rubbish,I love Norwich as much as life itself but now i am HURT ,ASHAMED and feel totally HUMILIATED, I just hope that the players feel this bad.I don''t blame Gunny,but I do blame the team! Please, Please,Please when will someone realise that Doc is not good enough to be in the squad, yet alone Captain, he never was and never will be,there lies most of our problems over the past few seasons,I thought he only played because we had no one else,now we have, so he must now go.My only hope is that someone within the club reads this! and lets the players know how hurt and disappointed we all are.You have badly let down 25,000 loyal fans.[/quote]

I don''t blame Gunny either but I believe he is a huge part of the problem and I don''t see where getting rid of the Doc can make more difference than getting rid of Gunn.

Anyone would be better than Doc? Is Nelson? We are not very clever with scapegoats! I remember how anyone would be better than Worthy.........

Nigel, thanks but the Docs had his chances time and time again,we need someone with pace not wrestling ability,believe me im not looking for a scape goat just honesty.Askue and Spillane have that pace we must give them a try,and we must give Gunny a little more time tomake some very big decisions.

Welcome back gazza, have missed your post the past couple of months. As usual spot on and like you I''ve slowly lost my faith and my patience is wearing very very thin. Until the majority of fans realise that we don''t have to put up with this crap andwe''re going nowhere until Delia leaves, nothing will ever change

100% disagree with this and its twats like you lot that are part of the problem.Feel sorry for Theo? Are you fucking insane?IF YOU HADNT NOTICED WERE IN FUCKING LEAGUE 1 AND YESTERDAY WAS THE WORST RESULT IN OUR 100 YEAR HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!7-1??? ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THIS? ARENT YOU NOT BESIDE YOURSELF WITH RAGE? CAUSE I FUCKING AM.ITS SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND A LOT OF FANS HAVE JUST HAD ENOUGH. WE FORK OUT £300 OF OUR HARD EARNED MONEY AND WE GET SERVED UP THIS UTTER SHIT.

[quote user="CT "]We have been getting behind them for ages now (all of last season and before).Do not even try and blame any of the fans for yesterday. When the team performs so will the fans.[/quote]spot on CTim getting sick of people in this board having a pop at the fans and the 2 that ran on the pitch. Were bloody sick of the shit served up at carrow road, 7-1 is f u cking diabolical.

For the record I am not at all happy in what has happened with our club over the past 4-5 years, pretty much ever since the Championship winning season finished.  Delia et al has made her decision to stick by Gunn. I too think this is the wrong decision but whats done is done. We simply have to get on with it for now at least.  We are not going to get out of this league hurling abuse at new players in their first competitive match for the club and like anything workforce which has a massive overhaul, there is always bedding in time. The season will not be won or lost on the first day, hell even the first month so what I am trying to say is and also to dumb down a little for folks like Barclayman is this: Give these new guys a little time before crucifying the hell out of them. I believe with the right mixture of youth and experience we have the players to get us out of this league this season. But if they are reduced to nervous wrecks each time they play at Carrow Road we have no chance.

Finally I would just like to add that I am not a fan of Delia Smith or her cohorts of the past. They took us were we should be and frankly they blew it. I cannot wait for the day she sells up and moves on. But I am sensible enough to see an appreciate that the team on the pitch will perform a lot better with positive support so that is where I will be focussing my efforts right now.

OTBC

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

We lost 7-1 at home in a league we haven''t been in for 50 years. I am sorry but I think the crowd, considering the circumstances behaved well.

You state this is a new Norwich City. No, it''s not, it''s the same NCFC we have had for the past 5 or so seasons, a team who are lacking in determination, team spirit and guile, coupled with a manager who can''t motivate them and a team on the pitch without a reliable and upbeat captain to sort them out.

Looking further up the food chain we are still owned by someone who gave Gunn, Butterworth and Crook the job because "they deserved it". That''s right, rewarding failure and just crossing fingers and hoping for the best.

The players may well get better, but not under those conditions. IF they can''t react to putting on a good performance on the first day of the season, react positively to a full house then they should not be professional footballers. Patience and faith. For those of us who have been here since the start of Delia''s reign, the patience is wearing thin. The faith went years ago. Yes it was a wake up call, but ask yourself, just who needs to be woken up.[/quote]

Good post Gazzathegreat.

The guilt lies with the Stowmarket Two.

Yep agree - I felt uncomfortable in the barclay, with the boos and the your S***! When he kicked out! Totally disgraceful! As you say the samegoes for the performance, but that overstepped the mark!

I did hear one chap say, welcome back Semmy - and in a way he deserved more of it than Theo! He got the ball rolling (or lopping) in his case, which just sent everything down hill rapidly!