Sign in to follow this  
Mortz

Put yourself in Gunn's shoes

Imagine you''d played for a club 100''s of times. When your playing career finished you then work for the club you love.The club then offer you the position of manager even though you''d never managed a club before.Be honest, what would you do?I don''t blame Gunny, i blame the board.

[quote user="Mortz"]Imagine you''d played for a club 100''s of times. When your playing career finished you then work for the club you love.The club then offer you the position of manager even though you''d never managed a club before.Be honest, what would you do?I don''t blame Gunny, i blame the board. [/quote]

Board put Gunn in charge, he cant hide!! if you cant do it, dont stumble blindly along, and hoping to luck out!

I would accept the offer but would have rule myself out if i couldn''t keep us up

Or

Accept the offer and if doing bad then i would quit.

I blame the board and Gunn. Gunns record in such a short time reads - a lack of fight ending in relegation and a whole new team HE assembled and told us was good enough for promotion suffering our heaviest EVER defeat aginst bloody Colchester of all teams....where can he take us next?

You pay peanuts you get monkeys, that goes for Gunn and his signings.

Have to agree,  I mean I know managers have to start somewhere???   but where has Gunn got his experience from?   anyone can get the UEFA coaching badges!  I just wish we had gone for some exprience!   could have even given Gunn the assistant managers job.

Also what is Butterworth doing?  thought he was brought into be defensive coach? 

The board won''t sack Gunny after the first game of the season and I am sure his pride won''t allow him to quit as he will feel that he can turn things around. Personally, I am waiting until the next 3 games are out of the way before taking a view as whilst yesterday was the worst football performance that i have ever seen from any team, 3 games away from Carrow Road might help the players to get their confidence back and i can not believe that all of them are as bad as they showed yesterday (apart from possibly theo who was a complete joke). We may find that yesterday''s result was a freak and that we perform in the next three games as we did in pre-season or we may continue as badly in which case Gunn most go. I for one hope that Gunn turns it around and i can not wait until Tuesday so that I can stop thinking about yesterday!

[quote user="Mortz"]Imagine you''d played for a club 100''s of times.
 When your playing career finished you then work for the club you love.
The club then offer you the position of manager even though you''d never managed a club before.

Be honest, what would you do?

I don''t blame Gunny, i blame the board.

[/quote]

I''d have to consider my reputation after our worst home defeat ever.

If he was an honourable man he would resign.

[quote user="olster"]

Have to agree,  I mean I know managers have to start somewhere???   but where has Gunn got his experience from?   anyone can get the UEFA coaching badges!  I just wish we had gone for some exprience!   could have even given Gunn the assistant managers job.

Also what is Butterworth doing?  thought he was brought into be defensive coach? 

[/quote]

I wouldn''t have minded if he''s had been an understudy to someone, the likes of Ferguson had an apprenticeship but Gunn just jumps in a gets a lucky result against a de-motivated QPR team and thinks he''s a natural.Priceless

I would''ve bit the clubs hands off, letting my heart rule my head. Gunny is a proud man, it''s a shame he''s going from being one of the most loved and respected Norwich legends to one of the most hated!!

I do not blame him for having a go at the job. There was always a chance it could come off but he will go the way of numerous other good club players who have had a go, out on their ear with their excellent reputations in tatters. He will be remembered for being the manager who got us relegated and who managed the biggest home defeat in our history, his playing days are sadley already a thing of memory

But surely the very least we''d expect is that he would have done his homework and actually tactically prepared...?  He was quoted in the press as saying he''s watched Colchester, he certainly knew what Lisbie''s all about and we were supposed to have been after Platt so to put two centre-halves together with zero pace between them was naive in the least.  What''s more worrying is that there will be faster, trickier forwards in this league than Lisbie/Platt...we simply can''t cope with being run at through the middle.  You have to say that the fact our defence consists of three of the first choice back four from last season is extremely worrying.  Why is that that time and again as soon as we concende NOBODY looks as if they know how to stop the rot?

If I was in Gunny''s shoes.....the easy thing to do is to stay. It would take a brave man to say " I am not up to this " and walk away.

Over to you Gunny.  

i dont blame gunn for having a go when roeder went. the fact that he came back for more this season and was alowed by the board is just plain stupidity.

Gunn needs to proove himself, i highly doubt he will walk people.Yes its the right thing to do but as the original poster said, he has been working his entire life for this job and will not give up without a fight, he will remain confident that he can get the job done.Blame the board for this romantic roy of the rovers senario we have, NOT Gunn.I feel bad for Gunn cos he will end up leaving us as a villan rather than as our rock of a Goalie.

[quote user="Mortz"]Imagine you''d played for a club 100''s of times. When your playing career finished you then work for the club you love.The club then offer you the position of manager even though you''d never managed a club before.Be honest, what would you do?I don''t blame Gunny, i blame the board. [/quote]If after playing 100s of times for the club, with the experience of knowing what a decent side was.  I''d have to wake up to the idea, as a manager, to realise that there''s a fair chance I''d signed up several piles of shiite.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Gunn needs to proove himself, i highly doubt he will walk people.Yes its the right thing to do but as the original poster said, he has been working his entire life for this job and will not give up without a fight, he will remain confident that he can get the job done.Blame the board for this romantic roy of the rovers senario we have, NOT Gunn.I feel bad for Gunn cos he will end up leaving us as a villan rather than as our rock of a Goalie.[/quote]Romantic being the operative word mehtinks

[quote user="glove1"]feel sorry for the guy - to sum up, he is not a manager. end of.[/quote]This is the point i''ve being trying to make!!Gunny is NOT a manager. Yet the footie club gave him the job. Fooks sake i dj at weddings most weekends yet i wouldn''t give Gunny my job..........................CAN YOU HEAR THE FOOKING PENNY DROP!!!!!

[quote user="Mortz"][quote user="glove1"]feel sorry for the guy - to sum up, he is not a manager. end of.[/quote]This is the point i''ve being trying to make!!Gunny is NOT a manager. Yet the footie club gave him the job. Fooks sake i dj at weddings most weekends yet i wouldn''t give Gunny my job..........................CAN YOU HEAR THE FOOKING PENNY DROP!!!!![/quote] After getting us relegated Gunn was begging to be reappointed for this season so you have to lay a lot of the blame at his door , should never have been given the job last season granted but he could and should of walked away , afraid being the guvnor has gone completely to his head.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Gunn needs to proove himself, i highly doubt he will walk people.

Yes its the right thing to do but as the original poster said, he has been working his entire life for this job and will not give up without a fight, he will remain confident that he can get the job done.

Blame the board for this romantic roy of the rovers senario we have, NOT Gunn.
I feel bad for Gunn cos he will end up leaving us as a villan rather than as our rock of a Goalie.
[/quote]

---------

Actually Nexus, he hasn''t been working his entire life for this job, and maybe that is why he''s not doing very well at it. Was there any sign before the vacancy came up that Gunn wanted to be a manager? If this was his burning desire/passion/lifelong ambition, why hadn''t he tried to become a manager before (not necessarily at NCFC)? He seemed quite happy doing his ambassador/scout thing, then the job comes up, he''s offered it, and has a go. Can''t blame him for that, and I really wish it had worked, for him and for us. But unless some miracle turnaround happens I hope he resigns with dignity rather than desperately clinging on until his reputation really is in tatters. 

[quote user="Mortz"]Imagine you''d played for a club 100''s of times.
 When your playing career finished you then work for the club you love.
The club then offer you the position of manager even though you''d never managed a club before.

Be honest, what would you do?

I don''t blame Gunny, i blame the board.

[/quote]

I''d ask myself the question '''' Am I qualified and do I have enough experience to get this club promoted'''' I''d say to myself no I don''t but I''ll do any role the new manager offers me to help this club get back on their feet. Thats called being honest with yourself.

I think I would have been honest enough to myself after nineteen games in charge, as well as being true to the club and it''s huge support, to admit that it had not gone at all well and that I didn''t have the necessary skills or ability to run a football team, thus I would have rejected Delia''s kind offer. Let''s face it, another club legend, Robert Fleck, had far more managerial experience than Gunn, albeit at the non-league level of football, but I''m sure there''s no way he was even considered as NCFC manager when Roeder was sacked, but to my mind he would have been a better bet than Gunny.

After giving the club it''s worst home defeat in it''s history, and relegating it to the 3rd tier to play there for the first time in 50 years i''d wonder what the hell i''d have to then do to possibly get the sack.If Gunn keeps on going at this rate he''ll be thrown out the city.As heartbreaking as it is to say, if the man was a ''decent bloke'', as many would like to assume, he would of handed in his resignation by now.The man has brought so much shame to this club in the past few months......