Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Delia's Two main problems

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ron obvious"]1) She is not rich enough. 2) She has a completely different agenda to any other NCFC fan. She does not see it primarily as a football club, but as a community. A Christian community.[/quote]So why do we have a goalkeeper who can''t cope with crosses?[/quote]To be fair, his inability to deal with crosses resulted in him being crucified.

But you dont REALLY think God exists do you? I thought everyone these days knew he is right up there with Father Christmas in terms of imaginary characters. When you die thats the end - just everlasting blackness without consciousness. And don''t worry, when you are bashing out a quick one there is nobody ''watching over you'' - especially not your Granny! The bible was invented by rulers wanting to scare the masses into behaving. And Dinosaur Fossils were not put there to test your faith - they actually existed millions of years before Humans and we were not put here ''In God''s own image''. By the way, the world is also round, orbiting the Sun and not a flat disk on the back of a giant space turtle.

My apologies if anyone is shocked by any of this but its the truth! :P

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]

But you dont REALLY think God exists do you? I thought everyone these days knew he is right up there with Father Christmas in terms of imaginary characters. When you die thats the end - just everlasting blackness without consciousness. And don''t worry, when you are bashing out a quick one there is nobody ''watching over you'' - especially not your Granny! The bible was invented by rulers wanting to scare the masses into behaving. And Dinosaur Fossils were not put there to test your faith - they actually existed millions of years before Humans and we were not put here ''In God''s own image''. By the way, the world is also round, orbiting the Sun and not a flat disk on the back of a giant space turtle.

[/quote]

I''m not at all shocked, but what makes you think it''s the truth?

I''m not a creationist and don''t have any problem with dinosaurs.  If you go to St John''s catholic cathedral in Norwich and look at the architecture, you''ll notice  black marble columns absolutely full of fossils - amazing. 

If you don''t mind me asking, when was the last time you went to church or read the bible?

[quote user="canary cherub"]

Not exactly.  She thinks it''s God telling her what she wants to hear.

Speaking personally my faith has nothing to do with voices in my head or "experiences" of any other kind - perhaps you''re getting confused with the occult? 

[/quote]There is no confusion. There is no rational basis for any relgion ( it is not possible to disprove areligion with physical evidence) so it comes down to metaphysical evidence - or an appeal to an authority who claims metaphysical evidence. It doesn''t mean there isn''t a religion somewhere that has access to the Absolute Truth - it;s just that there''s no way of knowing.

Anyway, getting a long way from footie now, so I''ll leave it at that.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ron obvious"]1) She is not rich enough. 2) She has a completely different agenda to any other NCFC fan. She does not see it primarily as a football club, but as a community. A Christian community.[/quote]So why do we have a goalkeeper who can''t cope with crosses?[/quote]To be fair, his inability to deal with crosses resulted in him being crucified.[/quote]And we play Yeovil three days later - will the resurrection be a hat trick of penalty saves?

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="canary cherub"]

Speaking personally my faith has nothing to do with voices in my head or "experiences" of any other kind - perhaps you''re getting confused with the occult? 

[/quote]

There is no confusion. There is no rational basis for any relgion ( it is not possible to disprove areligion with physical evidence) so it comes down to metaphysical evidence - or an appeal to an authority who claims metaphysical evidence.

It doesn''t mean there isn''t a religion somewhere that has access to the Absolute Truth - it;s just that there''s no way of knowing.

[/quote]

Yep. This is the problem I have with all of this. I''m not having a go Ron because the way you approached it makes for an interesting discussion but it will get too far away from football and way to personal. However we won''t stop it happening. These things play out in their own way. If this follows the same path as the Worthy out campaign, or even the Chase out before that, it will get a lot more uncomfortable before the end.  Expect to see all kinds of accusations made to fit in with the hate filled protests because it''s difficult for people to aim so much hatred without them.

How do we know Delia listens to voices from God in her head telling her what she wants to hear? I don''t think it''s any secret that she is a practicing Roman Catholic. I remember an article a few years ago where she openly talked about a chapel in the ground. I don''t remember there being much said on here about that but probably someone else was the scapegoat at that time.

If she prayed to God for guidance when she appointed Worthy then the old boy got it right. But who told her to sack him[:^)] Maybe the devil in disguise[6]

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="CaptnCanary"]

[/quote]

I''m not a creationist and don''t have any problem with dinosaurs.  If you go to St John''s catholic cathedral in Norwich and look at the architecture, you''ll notice  black marble columns absolutely full of fossils - amazing. 

If you don''t mind me asking, when was the last time you went to church or read the bible?

[/quote]

My post was a rather tongue in cheek response but letting you know my views. As you ask, the last time I went would have been fairly recently at my Brothers wedding. But I would not go for any other reason than to be there for a family member/friend on a special day. I myself had a civil service at a nice venue a couple of years ago. I dont remember the last time I read any of the bible. Probably some time when I was VERY bored in a hotel at a guess.

The reason I think that what I said is the truth is because I am very mathematical and scientific about things and always been. I believe we can prove most of how the universe was formed and works scientifically and therefore there is no need for there to be a God. This does not prove he does not exist - he may well have made it look the way it does for a reason. Stephen Hawking himself says he believes in God but knows there is no need for him to have existed for things to be the way they are. But given that there is no evidence for God to exist and that we can explain things scientifically I think it is highly improbable that God does exist. There are also many reasons that would explain why so many people in the world do believe in a God or Gods. It is comforting to some, others have been taught to fear God so that they will basically behave themselves, etc, etc. I have no problem with anyone who wishes to believe that there is a God. Thats fine with me as long as they dont want to try to convince others that they are right. Like the Jehovahs witness who tried to question me on why a pile of bricks does not evolve into a house! We can all believe what we wish to. I choose to base things on science and maths as I think they are far more reliable than old stories and beliefs that were invented to explain the then unexplainable.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="canary cherub"]

[/quote]

There is no confusion. There is no rational basis for any relgion ( it is not possible to disprove areligion with physical evidence) so it comes down to metaphysical evidence - or an appeal to an authority who claims metaphysical evidence.

It doesn''t mean there isn''t a religion somewhere that has access to the Absolute Truth - it;s just that there''s no way of knowing.

[/quote]

Yep. This is the problem I have with all of this. I''m not having a go Ron because the way you approached it makes for an interesting discussion but it will get too far away from football and way to personal. However we won''t stop it happening. These things play out in their own way. If this follows the same path as the Worthy out campaign, or even the Chase out before that, it will get a lot more uncomfortable before the end.  Expect to see all kinds of accusations made to fit in with the hate filled protests because it''s difficult for people to aim so much hatred without them.

How do we know Delia listens to voices from God in her head telling her what she wants to hear? I don''t think it''s any secret that she is a practicing Roman Catholic. I remember an article a few years ago where she openly talked about a chapel in the ground. I don''t remember there being much said on here about that but probably someone else was the scapegoat at that time.

If she prayed to God for guidance when she appointed Worthy then the old boy got it right. But who told her to sack him[:^)] Maybe the devil in disguise[6]

[/quote]

I agree we''re getting sidetracked.  To go back to the OP

[quote user="CaptnCanary"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="CaptnCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My post was a rather tongue in cheek response but letting you know my views. As you ask, the last time I went would have been fairly recently at my Brothers wedding. But I would not go for any other reason than to be there for a family member/friend on a special day. I myself had a civil service at a nice venue a couple of years ago. I dont remember the last time I read any of the bible. Probably some time when I was VERY bored in a hotel at a guess.

The reason I think that what I said is the truth is because I am very mathematical and scientific about things and always been. I believe we can prove most of how the universe was formed and works scientifically and therefore there is no need for there to be a God. This does not prove he does not exist - he may well have made it look the way it does for a reason. Stephen Hawking himself says he believes in God but knows there is no need for him to have existed for things to be the way they are. But given that there is no evidence for God to exist and that we can explain things scientifically I think it is highly improbable that God does exist. There are also many reasons that would explain why so many people in the world do believe in a God or Gods. It is comforting to some, others have been taught to fear God so that they will basically behave themselves, etc, etc. I have no problem with anyone who wishes to believe that there is a God. Thats fine with me as long as they dont want to try to convince others that they are right. Like the Jehovahs witness who tried to question me on why a pile of bricks does not evolve into a house! We can all believe what we wish to. I choose to base things on science and maths as I think they are far more reliable than old stories and beliefs that were invented to explain the then unexplainable.

[/quote]And yet I believe over half the people in this country disagree with you (including people who are good at science and maths!) Yes Delia goes toward community because of her Catholicism but the the bits that lean toward "community" make money rather than lose it. It''s weird that she gets lambasted for being a Machiavellian bitch who''s out to screw NCFC for every penny in pursuit for personal wealth and yet is also the person who is too nice and Catholic to make the hard choices. Maybe she is just someone without enough money or footballing nous to make it successful but can''t give up until someone turns up to take it on?   

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="canary cherub"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree we''re getting sidetracked.  To go back to the OP

[/quote]

Oops what happened there?  I was going to say that neither of Ron''s two points are the main problem imo.  The main problem is Delia''s desire to maintain control at all costs, even failure as a football club.  We can speculate as to why control is so important to her - be it religion, childlessness, egotism, a combination of all three or none of the above - but in the end it doesn''t really matter.  It doesn''t seem to have much to do with getting her money back, and calls for her to depart only seem to make her more determined to stay. 

One thing seems clear: we''re ifalling down a very deep hole and haven''t reached the bottom yet.  Short of sending the club into administration by withdrawing our financial support there seems to be little or nothing we can do about it.

What an attitude, so now Delia is not only blamed for poor managers and players, and performances on the pitch, but for daring to want a caring community Club. On Saturday I forgot my season ticket. I suppose the Club should of refused me entry instead of politely printing me a ticket? No, Fernando, it is the passionate fans who support the Club regardless of what division we are in, regardless of terracing or seats, and it is the soft spectator of the premiership era, who demands top flight football, success, and superficiality.

[quote user="Chrisr"]

And yet I believe over half the people in this country disagree with you (including people who are good at science and maths!)

[/quote]

You are probably right - although I''d be interested to know where you got that stat of ''over half''.

But even if the majority believe it does not make them right and me wrong. People like to believe in things. Like Father Xmas as I mentioned but when you grow up you find out thats not true. Its just that in the past people have gone to alot of trouble creating the Bible and church''s and a whole mythology and what not to try to back up the God theory. Yet I remain as certain as I could possibly be that there is no God.

[quote user="corbs"]What an attitude, so now Delia is not only blamed for poor managers and players, and performances on the pitch, but for daring to want a caring community Club. On Saturday I forgot my season ticket. I suppose the Club should of refused me entry instead of politely printing me a ticket? No, Fernando, it is the passionate fans who support the Club regardless of what division we are in, regardless of terracing or seats, and it is the soft spectator of the premiership era, who demands top flight football, success, and superficiality.[/quote]It still never fails to amaze me, after everything this club has been through just how utterly clueless some people are.

[quote user="corbs"]What an attitude, so now Delia is not only blamed for poor managers and players, and performances on the pitch, but for daring to want a caring community Club. On Saturday I forgot my season ticket. I suppose the Club should of refused me entry instead of politely printing me a ticket? No, Fernando, it is the passionate fans who support the Club regardless of what division we are in, regardless of terracing or seats, and it is the soft spectator of the premiership era, who demands top flight football, success, and superficiality.[/quote]

Don''t be daft, any club would have done that.

All we demand is that the club puts football first and tries to punch its weight.  That, to me, is success. 

[quote user="corbs"]What an attitude, so now Delia is not only blamed for poor managers and players, and performances on the pitch, but for daring to want a caring community Club. On Saturday I forgot my season ticket. I suppose the Club should of refused me entry instead of politely printing me a ticket? No, Fernando, it is the passionate fans who support the Club regardless of what division we are in, regardless of terracing or seats, and it is the soft spectator of the premiership era, who demands top flight football, success, and superficiality.[/quote]

how long do you think those caring family fan''s will last when slip down furher, you can run on a budget but when you get 25000 every game it takes the biscuit! See how many of 19000 stay next season if we stay in league, Delia is a  disgrace and far from leaving a good legacy she will be branded Norwich City''s worst ever chairman!

Canary cherub, we agree on an awful lot and many`s the time i`ve read a thread and thought "thank goodness CC has posted what i`m thinking and saved me the hassle", but i honestly don`t think Delia thinks she`s unpopular and i don`t even think there`s been any serious calls for her to go.  She does not use the internet, she has surrounded herself with people who think she`s wonderful and got rid of any critical elements (although i accept that has changed to an extent with the board changes).  She has reacted to any kind of criticism with OTT shocked indignation but, let`s face it, she hasn`t actually had alot she would actually be aware of has she?

I really think that 1000 plus Norwich fans calling for her to go would leave her stunned- she may not go straight away but a few unfavourable polls and increased pressure could do the trick.  Whether enough Norwich fans can get past the old "But she`s so nice and well-meaning" platitudes to put enough pressure on her i really doubt, but i don`t think she has felt under pressure personally at all yet.

[quote user="ron obvious"]1) She is not rich enough. This is a problem, but not insurmountable. With a decent manager, scouting system & youith academy Championship status should be easily within reach - being consistently in the Prem. would be difficult but not impossible. However, these possibilities are completely undermined by2) She has a completely different agenda to any other NCFC fan. She does not see it primarily as a football club, but as a community. A Christian community.Never, ever forget she is a committed Christian who has written books on the subject.When you read her feelings about NCFC it is that feeling of community that appeals to her most deeply. She wants to make the club the embodiment of a caring, compassionate society - with room for everybody.And that is one huge problem. In her domain, nice people get their just rewards. So Gunny gets to be manager. The ruthless, nasty decisions you have to make to succeed in real life never get made - or made far, far too late.She is not just an Egoist. It''s worse than that. She gets her direction from a Higher Authority; I seem to remember her saying she''s a great believer in prayer. Perhaps she''s praying to the wrong deity.I wonder what VIYAG thinks?

[/quote]

1. Gunn2.Being majority share holder!

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Canary cherub, we agree on an awful lot and many`s the time i`ve read a thread and thought "thank goodness CC has posted what i`m thinking and saved me the hassle", but i honestly don`t think Delia thinks she`s unpopular and i don`t even think there`s been any serious calls for her to go.  She does not use the internet, she has surrounded herself with people who think she`s wonderful and got rid of any critical elements (although i accept that has changed to an extent with the board changes).  She has reacted to any kind of criticism with OTT shocked indignation but, let`s face it, she hasn`t actually had alot she would actually be aware of has she?

I really think that 1000 plus Norwich fans calling for her to go would leave her stunned- she may not go straight away but a few unfavourable polls and increased pressure could do the trick.  Whether enough Norwich fans can get past the old "But she`s so nice and well-meaning" platitudes to put enough pressure on her i really doubt, but i don`t think she has felt under pressure personally at all yet.

[/quote]

It''s mutual Mr C, I also find you the poster I have the most affinity with.

I agree with you that she''s probably not fully aware of the extent of hostility for the reasons you state, but I think there''s more to it than that.  Her attitude is that if anyone is critical of her it''s their problem, they''re ungrateful ''unwashed scum'' (to borrow Chase''s immortal phrase).   She is very sensitive to even the mildest criticism, as we saw at the AGM, but retreats into outraged "I saved this club" mode when under pressure. 

I''ll be very interested to see what happens in the boardroom in the coming weeks, if Messrs Bowkett, Phillips and/or McNally decide to challenge the status quo.

So CC, can I summarise your position by saying that she is essentially an egoist who has deluded herself into thinking she is driven by Christian principles? I''ll bear that in mind when watching her behaviour in future. CanaryCharge, I think you''re missing the point. I''m trying to postulate a motive for her actions.And CaptnCanary: I''m afraid you don''t really understand what science is about.

These are good points.On the second, I have worried for some time about the Christian beliefs issue, not because I have strong views about religion, but because it can get in the way of common sense - just look at Blair and Bush.I have often wondered if Hamilton, Worthington, Grant, Duffey, Roeder and Gunn are Christians, and more particularly if they are Catholics.

CC, totally agree (as usual....[:D]) but i probably should have made it clear that i was refering to your point that "calls for her to go only seem to make her dig her heels in more".  You may very well be right, but i would want to see her reaction under real pressure before coming to that conclusion.  I suppose when it comes down to it i`m worried that "she`ll only dig her heels in more anyway" will become another excuse for supporters not to let her know her time is up.

[quote user="astrodyne"]Ah - NOW I know why I no longer catch any fish in the Wensum......
[/quote]

Because you are fishing in the Yare!

[quote user="Demper"]These are good points.

On the second, I have worried for some time about the Christian beliefs issue, not because I have strong views about religion, but because it can get in the way of common sense - just look at Blair and Bush.

I have often wondered if Hamilton, Worthington, Grant, Duffey, Roeder and Gunn are Christians, and more particularly if they are Catholics.
[/quote]

I think you should get out more . . .

[quote user="ron obvious"]
1) She is not rich enough.
This is a problem, but not insurmountable. With a decent manager, scouting system & youith academy Championship status should be easily within reach - being consistently in the Prem. would be difficult but not impossible. However, these possibilities are completely undermined by

2) She has a completely different agenda to any other NCFC fan. She does not see it primarily as a football club, but as a community. A Christian community.
Never, ever forget she is a committed Christian who has written books on the subject.
When you read her feelings about NCFC it is that feeling of community that appeals to her most deeply. She wants to make the club the embodiment of a caring, compassionate society - with room for everybody.
And that is one huge problem. In her domain, nice people get their just rewards. So Gunny gets to be manager. The ruthless, nasty decisions you have to make to succeed in real life never get made - or made far, far too late.

She is not just an Egoist. It''s worse than that. She gets her direction from a Higher Authority; I seem to remember her saying she''s a great believer in prayer.

Perhaps she''s praying to the wrong deity.

I wonder what VIYAG thinks?

[/quote]

Ron, if we are speculating ( and presumably some of are because Cherub goes as far as to state what Delia thinks in her communications with God ), then I would like to add my own speculation as to what one of "Delia''s greatest problems" may be. For all the criticism that is thrown Delia''s way with accusations about her ego, she will just not let go of her "plaything" etc., it may just be that one of her biggest problems is Michael. He has a far longer pedigree in the affairs of NCFC than Delia does. Delia may just be yet another example of what a woman will do for her man, even if her influence/involvement in NCFC results in poor judgements. The trick may be for some astute "secret agents" to lure Michael toward a greater purpose in his declining years. If my speculation is correct then Delia would immediately divert her resources in a new direction and drop NCFC without thinking twice. [:D]   

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]
1) She is not rich enough.
This is a problem, but not insurmountable. With a decent manager, scouting system & youith academy Championship status should be easily within reach - being consistently in the Prem. would be difficult but not impossible. However, these possibilities are completely undermined by

2) She has a completely different agenda to any other NCFC fan. She does not see it primarily as a football club, but as a community. A Christian community.
Never, ever forget she is a committed Christian who has written books on the subject.
When you read her feelings about NCFC it is that feeling of community that appeals to her most deeply. She wants to make the club the embodiment of a caring, compassionate society - with room for everybody.
And that is one huge problem. In her domain, nice people get their just rewards. So Gunny gets to be manager. The ruthless, nasty decisions you have to make to succeed in real life never get made - or made far, far too late.

She is not just an Egoist. It''s worse than that. She gets her direction from a Higher Authority; I seem to remember her saying she''s a great believer in prayer.

Perhaps she''s praying to the wrong deity.

I wonder what VIYAG thinks?

[/quote]

Ron, if we are speculating ( and presumably some of are because Cherub goes as far as to state what Delia thinks in her communications with God ), then I would like to add my own speculation as to what one of "Delia''s greatest problems" may be. For all the criticism that is thrown Delia''s way with accusations about her ego, she will just not let go of her "plaything" etc., it may just be that one of her biggest problems is Michael. He has a far longer pedigree in the affairs of NCFC than Delia does. Delia may just be yet another example of what a woman will do for her man, even if her influence/involvement in NCFC results in poor judgements. The trick may be for some astute "secret agents" to lure Michael toward a greater purpose in his declining years. If my speculation is correct then Delia would immediately divert her resources in a new direction and drop NCFC without thinking twice. [:D]   

[/quote]

I wonder if he might try cooking[;)]