Sign in to follow this  
Damo

Michael Nelson and Gary Doherty - Worst CB partnership ever?

It goes without saying that the whole defense was abysmal on Saturday, but going by what I saw, I can''t just put it down to a blip.

Doc and Nelson  really concerned me. Both are usually reliable in the air and strong (physically) on the ground. Combined they don''t have the slightest bit of pace.
If you''re going to play someone who wins headers for fun but is slow off the mark, you need to partner him with someone that can chase the ball down and win it. It''s not much different than finding a sucessful strike pair. The big man/little man combo up front can be applicable at the back to a certain extent.
Obviously having a short guy at CB is suicide but if you have a slow defender, he''ll need a quick partner!

This is why I think Spillane is a good shout as a replacement for Nelson. I haven''t seen Askou play yet so I can''t really comment.

If I had to single one CB out in particularly, it would be Nelson. He was terrible. He was bought to rough people up and bring some no nonsense defending to the team. No nonsense, does not mean no defending, Nelson you buffoon!
For a guy who has League 1 experience, he seemed way out of his depth. To be beaten in the air by Kevin Lisbie is an inexcuseable piece of ''defending''

Slow, clumsy, dumb, confused and void of any defending knowledge. That''s my summary of this partnership. I can''t see one reason to keep them playing together.

No but Donkerty is the fastest player in the planet in a straight line. All we need is league approval to paint straight lines all over the pitch, to entice the opposition to follow them and put all strikers at the mercy of the Doc.

Normally i agree, but how many games do we give them. We let them play a few, we lose a few, Southampton catch up the 10 points already. They''ve just signed Lambert, what hope have we got then?

The change needs to be decisive.

I think I have made the point in a few posts, that Doc offers us a few things but the one thing he has never offered is pace.  He needs pace alongside him to cover for errors, as without this he also seems to lose his confidence in challenges/in the air as knows if he loses the ball will not get it back.

I saw Doc run for a train in the close season so i know he can run. Why he doesnt move that fast on the pitch is beyond me.Useless player  !

I just think that given who we have waiting to replace them, we are unlikely to lose both Doherty and Nelson and of the two I would rather keep Doc in the team who at least we know has played alright for us in the past.

We''ve seen alot of bad partnerships over the last 5 years Doherty-Fleming, Doherty-Charlton, Doherty-Shackell, Doherty-Kennedy, Doherty-Grounds, Doherty-Nelson. Oh hang on, i think theres a re-ocurring theme here.

But Yellow Beagle that''s because it''s unsettling for him and by and large he has to cover for these players....!

It has amazed me on this website just how many people think Gary Doherty is a decent defender. "Who could we find that''s better" they say.. "he gives his all", "he''s Norwich through and through". Well so am I but I''ll never make it as a professional footballer.

This guy is totally and utterly f%$&ing useless and it''s a disgrace he has been made captain of our fine club. He can''t read the game, is always out of position, unsettles the team, show no leadership skills, rarely clears his lines properly and for a former international striker offers nothing offensively.

The guy is undoubtedly the highest earner at the club, has represented Norwich during 2 relegations bringing us to our lowest place in 50 years and has now captained the club in their worst ever home defeat in 107 years.

Anyone who thinks this guy is a decent defender is a complete muppet.

Get rid of this useless liability now.

[quote user="Farro"]

It goes without saying that the whole defense was abysmal on Saturday, but going by what I saw, I can''t just put it down to a blip.Doc and Nelson  really concerned me. Both are usually reliable in the air and strong (physically) on the ground. Combined they don''t have the slightest bit of pace.If you''re going to play someone who wins headers for fun but is slow off the mark, you need to partner him with someone that can chase the ball down and win it. It''s not much different than finding a sucessful strike pair. The big man/little man combo up front can be applicable at the back to a certain extent.Obviously having a short guy at CB is suicide but if you have a slow defender, he''ll need a quick partner!

This is why I think Spillane is a good shout as a replacement for Nelson. I haven''t seen Askou play yet so I can''t really comment.

If I had to single one CB out in particularly, it would be Nelson. He was terrible. He was bought to rough people up and bring some no nonsense defending to the team. No nonsense, does not mean no defending, Nelson you buffoon!For a guy who has League 1 experience, he seemed way out of his depth. To be beaten in the air by Kevin Lisbie is an inexcuseable piece of ''defending''Slow, clumsy, dumb, confused and void of any defending knowledge. That''s my summary of this partnership. I can''t see one reason to keep them playing together.

[/quote]

There is 1 thing year after year thats constistant with are cr@p defence.......gary docherty

[quote user="Farro"]

It goes without saying that the whole defense was abysmal on Saturday, but going by what I saw, I can''t just put it down to a blip.Doc and Nelson  really concerned me. Both are usually reliable in the air and strong (physically) on the ground. Combined they don''t have the slightest bit of pace.If you''re going to play someone who wins headers for fun but is slow off the mark, you need to partner him with someone that can chase the ball down and win it. It''s not much different than finding a sucessful strike pair. The big man/little man combo up front can be applicable at the back to a certain extent.Obviously having a short guy at CB is suicide but if you have a slow defender, he''ll need a quick partner!

If I had to single one CB out in particularly, it would be Nelson. He was terrible. He was bought to rough people up and bring some no nonsense defending to the team. No nonsense, does not mean no defending, Nelson you buffoon!For a guy who has League 1 experience, he seemed way out of his depth. To be beaten in the air by Kevin Lisbie is an inexcuseable piece of ''defending''Slow, clumsy, dumb, confused and void of any defending knowledge. That''s my summary of this partnership. I can''t see one reason to keep them playing together.

[/quote]you couldnt know that initially....but you nailed nelson completely.

Doc isn''t actually slow at all. He is just a bit of an oaf and very clumsy.

Thought Nelson was the worst of the two on Sat - he really did look slow and didn''t even win his headers. Just seemed to point the finger and shout a lot - not what we needed.

Spillane is the man - although we also need him to play at RB so we can git rid of the main weak link in the side Jon ****** Otsemobor.

We NEED to buy 1 or 2 more CB''s this transfer window because Doherty and Nelson were shocking !!  Here are some good ones we should get :

- Ben Chorley (Leyton Orient)

- Ben Futcher (Bury)

- Efe Sodje (Bury)

- Ismael Yakubu (Barnet)

- Zak Whitbread (Milwall)

- Magnus Okuonghae (Colchester)

- Exodus Geohaghon (Kettering)

I agree completely. It''s simple that you can''t have two of the slowest centre-backs in the league partnering each other. It doesn''t work.

[quote user="USA Canary jr"]

We NEED to buy 1 or 2 more CB''s this transfer window because Doherty and Nelson were shocking !!  Here are some good ones we should get :

- Ben Chorley (Leyton Orient)

- Ben Futcher (Bury)

- Efe Sodje (Bury)

- Ismael Yakubu (Barnet)

- Zak Whitbread (Milwall)

- Magnus Okuonghae (Colchester)

- Exodus Geohaghon (Kettering)

[/quote]

Would you guys go for any of these then?

I would say that Ben Chorley is the best option. :D

- Ben Chorley (Leyton Orient)- been around a bit?

- Ben Futcher (Bury) - tall but overrated

- Efe Sodje (Bury)- too old, too shit

- Ismael Yakubu (Barnet)- not bad

- Zak Whitbread (Milwall)- superb player, worth a go

- Magnus Okuonghae (Colchester)- just paid 45k for him

- Exodus Geohaghon (Kettering)- a lower league gem

[/quote]

So ... "missing then action?"  ....who would you go for other than Zak Whitbread because i do think he may be too expensive?

Ben Chorley or Exodus Geohaghon for me.

So ... "missing then action?"  ....who would you go for other than Zak Whitbread because i do think he may be too expensive?

Ben Chorley or Exodus Geohaghon for me.

[/quote]

* "missing in action?"

sorry about that lol :L

Nelson and Doherty were shocking on Saturday but trying to go straight back to the transfer isn''t the answer. The answer is finding a partnership that works. I say drop Donkerty and give youbg Spillane a chance. And while we''re at it, drop Gill for Adeyami and give Cody a run up front.