Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Delia - what has she done wrong?

Im a big fan of Norwich but i dont know much about what goes on, off the pitch. I hate to sound like an ametuer, but i dont know much about what she''s done wrong? I know she''s Majority shareholder, but everyone must hate her for a reason.

Please fill me in guys. Thanks

Oh and by the way, im only 15.

and please dont slate me, i just seriously want to know.

Thanks

[quote user="Brendan"]Im a big fan of Norwich but i dont know much about what goes on, off the pitch. I hate to sound like an ametuer, but i dont know much about what she''s done wrong? I know she''s Majority shareholder, but everyone must hate her for a reason.

Please fill me in guys. Thanks

Oh and by the way, im only 15.

and please dont slate me, i just seriously want to know.

Thanks[/quote]As you''re only 15 and obviously quite naive on some topics I apologise for my possibly quite harsh comments in another thread earlier. You may not have seen them though as the post was swiftly deleted ;)

And regarding Delia, I try to keep my opinions to myself as nobody really knows the full extent of what goes on behind the scenes, myself included. Therefore I am not in a position to have an insightful opinion.

wellshe is running a club without the finances available, like building a house, then to pay the mortgage, selling bits of it off like the roof etc.and i think her decision making too. after all. she is a fan, a rich ish one, doesnt mean she knows any better though and she screwed up with the appointments of gunn etc. she has turned the club into an un tempting prospect for investors.

We''ll let Smudger answer this one for you Brendan. He is logged on at the moment i notice.

P.S. I didn''t realise that you were only 15 either so i apologise for my hostility earlier ;-)

[quote user="Brendan"]What about if i was to ask you about yout opinion JTG?

in a polite manner :P[/quote]Then I would say that in the past she has given a lot to this club. But that is in the past.Now she doesn''t have the finances to compete in the world of football but it SEEMS she doesn''t want to sell the club to anybody that does have the finances we so badly need.But for me her biggest crime is the string of awful managerial appointments (Grant, Roeder, Gunn especially) and her apparent lack of knowledge of how to run a football club. She has also installed a ''little old Norwich'' kind of aura around the place as well. He comments regularly make us look like a small club which are to be laughed at.

Well, ultimately the buck stops with her as NCFC is pretty much a dictatorship under her rule. Look at our current position compared to when she joined and there is your answer.

over the last 13 years she has continually brought down the club, she says she loves the club, but really to her its there to boost her ego and make money. this why the board continually choose the cheap option and not the one best one. because if she really loved the club she would have sold without greed, because when she does sell she WILL make money. anyway having both cooked for and worked for her i can tell she is false, a cheat and full of poo. oh and lastly she lives in suffolk and used to support ipswich (she even lies weakly about this, like when she denied being drunk about her half time comments the other year.)

DELIA SMITH A TRUE SHYSTER AND CHARLETON

Also this........

YouTube - Delia Smith talks Football on Simon Mayo - BBC Radio 5 Live

This...............

YouTube - Delia Smith - Where are ya!

And this................

Delia Smith has fuelled speculation that Norwich City are set to welcome new investment in the club.

Speaking at the club''s new kit launch, the joint-majority shareholder urged fans concerned at the club''s lack of summer spending to "wait and see".

Delia told BBC Radio Norfolk: "Whatever''s happening on the investment side, we wouldn''t be saying."

She also joked: "There''s loads of new investment, everything''s lovely, we''re keeping quiet about all the money."

There has been speculation over recent weeks that insurance billionaire Peter Cullum could be ready to invest in the club he has supported since childhood.

Cullum, from Norwich, founded the Towergate Partnership in 1997 and the group is now valued at £3bn.

He has previously ruled out the possibility of investing in the Canaries, until he recently told the Independent "never say never" when asked about football funding.

Speaking at the Royal Norfolk Show on Wednesday, Smith was naming no names, saying she was under strict orders.

"No, no, no, I''ve got to behave, when they let me out they say ''behave''."

Also, in what could be seen as a thinly-veiled swipe at local rivals Ipswich Town, Smith said it would be unwise to reveal their financial hand while in the midst of transfer negotiations.

"There are certain clubs who shout very loudly about all the money they''ve got, they have to pay a lot of money for players."

Sir Geoffrey Watling god rest his soul, said that nobody should ever have complete control of the club again after the chase years.After being brought in by the great man himself Mr Norwich! She has proceeded to buy all the shares up on the cheap turning loans into shares etc... till she has total control. She now prices the shares at £25 each a price that is totally unrealsitic as they are actually worth approx £0.01 we are now in a position back in the chase days where we have a person in total control that is not helping the football side. As the majority owner nobody can do a damn thing about it and that is a crying shame! The club is falling lower and lower in an attempt by her to get lucky and by some miracle get £25 each for her shares.

Brendan, I will try to answer as I see it. She has not actually done anything dreadfully appalling. But what she has done is run a club very very badly and without enough finances to have any hope of improving the situation. Furthermore she seems to be making it impossible for anybody else with more money to come in and try their hand at doing a better job. While she is in charge it is clear that we have no hope of a brighter future yet she continues on regardless without opening up to the fans and telling them the what''s, why''s and wherefore''s. So we can but assume she has little idea what she is doing either.

Many of us feel that the club cannot progress under Delia''s ownership and so her persistence in carrying on down the same dreary path has led people to feel malace towards her. In the past she has stated that she would give the club away for a penny if someone wanted to come and take over with better finances. Yet when Peter Cullum, probably the richest Norwich fan alive, raised his head the price suddenly went up to £56m (including a transfer kitty). She is not evil but she is no longer any good to this football club. She has made a string of bad decisions that have seen the club plummet from the Premiership to losing 7-1 at home in League 1. I think that is what she has done wrong....

No worries tim :)

Oh and anyone notice that we play "Sex on fire" by kings of leon, when we come out of the tunnel before the start of the game and 2nd half. Not a bad choice, anyone agree or disagree?

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]We''ll let Smudger answer this one for you Brendan. He is logged on at the moment i notice. P.S. I didn''t realise that you were only 15 either so i apologise for my hostility earlier ;-)[/quote]

Well if he is fifteen then surely he should be educated enough to use the search facility on this very site?

He will find all the answers there.

I certainly ain''t going over old ground yet again for somebody else (whoever they are).

One that hasn''t been mentioned since I have got to this point however... Delia knows how to stretch the truth shall we say Brendan?  Some would say that she is an out and out liar (re: investment Mr Cullum and her comments to Simon Mayo on a Radio Show and at the Royal Norfolk Show last year).

The club will never move forwards while she remains here as far too many fans do not trust a word that comes out of a boardroom where Smith & jones are majority shareholders these days.

[quote user="Brendan"]No worries tim :) Oh and anyone notice that we play "Sex on fire" by kings of leon, when we come out of the tunnel before the start of the game and 2nd half. Not a bad choice, anyone agree or disagree?[/quote]

Shame that the football isn''t on fire really isn''t it?

Although judging by the way the Doc, Ostomebor and Theoklitis handled it on Saturday it must of been hotter than fire and they were scared of getting burnt.

And im sorry Smudge, but im sure not many people on here have said what Delia has done wrong, they have just commented on it.

A brave post Brendan. 1st sign of brains is sticking your mits up when you don''t know stuff! It''s a hot question too and you''ll get a queue of people with higher blood pressure than me wanting to tell you why they hate her. Here''s my take on it: Everyone knows and even respects the fact that when Michael Wynn Jones (former publisher and media boss) got his missis (Delia) to take an active role in supplying finance to NCFC it acted as the end of a previously turbulent chapter in our history. Her involvement as new majority shareholder paved the way for previous and resented chairman Robert Chase to leave (she bought his shares and enough others to become number 1). She''s never occupied his role as Chair though, as it''s definitely not her forte! This new injection of cash (supplied complicatedly by Delia amoung others in the form of long term loans and other types of investments) and some luck / fate / decent management by Nigel Worthington and a solid group of players meant a trip to the playoff final and eventually auto promotion to the Prem''.However.....  Delia isn''t a billionaire, she''s a celebrity chef. There came a point when her clout financially and her apparent interventions into high end footballing decisions (such as the retention of certain staff etc) made everyone begin to lose patience with her. Added to this the club seemed to develop an approach to football investment under her governance which placed a higher importance on off the pitch activities such as the development of in Ground facilities (some of which were seen to be helping her to promote her own image as a restauranter and local celeb), the transferral and development of the clubs land ownership and so on. Meanwhile in every position on the pitch we were able to say that the talent was diminishing and that we had a reputation as a ''develop and sell on club''. This was worsened last season when we ended up fielding teams which were more loans than ours - placing the immediate and long term future of football development at risk.Add to this the fact that she''s astonishingly public and vocal when we are doing ok but less available when we''re not, the embarrassing concequences of having a non football celeb attached to the club and you''re almost there. Then there''s the current biggy: Her apparent reluctance to accept that her share of NCFC may (as a result of our diminished status and the weaker financial position) be worth less than it was when she acquired it. And her continued reluctance to make the club available for someone else to own at a time when we can''t believe that she will be able to encourage any real improvement - and you''re half way there.Hope this helps?

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]Sir Geoffrey Watling god rest his soul, said that nobody should ever have complete control of the club again after the chase years.

After being brought in by the great man himself Mr Norwich! She has proceeded to buy all the shares up on the cheap turning loans into shares etc... till she has total control.

She now prices the shares at £25 each a price that is totally unrealsitic as they are actually worth approx £0.01 we are now in a position back in the chase days where we have a person in total control that is not helping the football side.

As the majority owner nobody can do a damn thing about it and that is a crying shame!

The club is falling lower and lower in an attempt by her to get lucky and by some miracle get £25 each for her shares.
[/quote] All very true apart from the nobody can do a thing about it point. Prolonged protests on the scale of the Chase days would be the begining of the end of her. But enough people don''t seem to care enough any more.

[quote user="Brendan"]No worries tim :) Oh and anyone notice that we play "Sex on fire" by kings of leon, when we come out of the tunnel before the start of the game and 2nd half. Not a bad choice, anyone agree or disagree?[/quote]

But Brendan,

what they have all forgot to tell you is this, 13 years ago, we were playing in European football, we were rideing high in the prem league 3 seasons we were in the top 6 of the prem

in he time she has been here we have had 2 okish seasons the rest has been a relegation battle, she may know how to peel spuds but run a football club, ask 25000 fans for the answer

Thanks Romantic, that did help.

I wonder if Delia, Gunn, any players etc, read this site or have any other sources to tell them what fans REALLY think?

Brendan

I can honestly say, I don''t think Delia has appointed a qualified manager for this club in her years at the club.

Wants to leave the club, but if you are still owner - don''t let it crash and burn. See Newcastle for other owners doing a good job of that too.

Saved the club in the ''90s - and will be loved for that. Times have moved on and so should she

[quote user="Brendan"]Thanks Romantic, that did help.

I wonder if Delia, Gunn, any players etc, read this site or have any other sources to tell them what fans REALLY think?[/quote]I wonder that too Brendan. Although to be honest I hope they don''t because if you take a random cross section of a forum like this it''s depressingly ill informed and reactionary. Fair enough, we all get angry and upset but I don''t think that it''s necessarily a genuine yardstick of how the 25000 feel on a daily basis.

Agreed that she has made some bad decisions in recruiting managers, but it isnt just her who chooses. Shed the blame?

Oh and i assume it is just the board who chooses the Management staff?

Always remember Brendan, that posts on here only represent a very small body of opinion, and in my view this board is over represented by a even smaller clique of anti delia posters. Constructive and reasoned criticism (as per Romantic) is not common on here. Amongst my friends and associates, many who are passionate Norwich fans (plus fans of other non -prem clubs) I am alone in visiting this site. Most folk make their own minds up and are not too interested in websites like this.

[quote user="Brendan"]Agreed that she has made some bad decisions in recruiting managers, but it isnt just her who chooses. Shed the blame?

Oh and i assume it is just the board who chooses the Management staff?[/quote]I think that this is an important point Brendan. No she doesn''t make the decisions in isolation although there are many on here who would have you believe that she does. An interesting way of finding out how much of a role the majority shareholders have is now available to us... As we now have a new chair and a new chief executive we will see whether they get the type of freedom that they may have in other clubs. If the rot doesn''t stop expect our new Chief Exec to want to step in and do something. If his hands are tied - he''ll walk and he''ll say why. Could be very revealing!GOD I MISS TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL!

[quote user="JF"][quote user="Snakepit boys"]Sir Geoffrey Watling god rest his soul, said that nobody should ever have complete control of the club again after the chase years.After being brought in by the great man himself Mr Norwich! She has proceeded to buy all the shares up on the cheap turning loans into shares etc... till she has total control. She now prices the shares at £25 each a price that is totally unrealsitic as they are actually worth approx £0.01 we are now in a position back in the chase days where we have a person in total control that is not helping the football side. As the majority owner nobody can do a damn thing about it and that is a crying shame! The club is falling lower and lower in an attempt by her to get lucky and by some miracle get £25 each for her shares.[/quote] All very true apart from the nobody can do a thing about it point. Prolonged protests on the scale of the Chase days would be the begining of the end of her. But enough people don''t seem to care enough any more.[/quote]True JF I was at the chase protests and believe this situation to be far worse than then, yet nobody seems to be bothered and they certainly dont seem prepared to do anything about it.Mass protests must happen with real numbers to let her know how fans feel. The protest turn outs always seem so poor it is beyond me why???!!!

Well done Brendon for starting a thread where the responses have, in respect to you, been (generally) logical & constructive. If you continue through life, getting the best out of people, as you seem to have done here, you will go far. Well done, and thank you for instigating an interesting read