Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Are these players up to it?

Well I witnessed last nights reserve game and can report that neither Jarvis, Hendo, Brennan or Shacks looked as if they were trying to catch anyones eye.

Jarvis missed a twice taken penalty by ballooning second effort over the bar, and didn''t seem interested.

The others tried but didn''t particularly impress, although City had the best chances and probably should have won, Danny Crow looked good unfortunately at around 5''8" he is the normal height for a promising City striker e.g. Hendo, Jamie Cureton etc.

How do you know they have so much potential?

If Jarvis was Norwich''s equivalent to Rooney, he would be in the team by now, no questions asked. If Hendo was really that good then he would have gone to Newcastle for, not James Milner or Darren Ambrose. If Brennan was that good, I''m sure Nigel would have him in the side like a shot, but it doesn''t seem to be the case.

As for Shackell, he will have to wait his turn but he looks like he could be good enough.

But where are our Darren Bents and Ian Westlakes and Andy Reids and Peter Whittinghams and Stewart Downings and Andy Dawsons and Calum Davidsons etc etc etc? If anything, we could do with the money from their sales!

Nigel has very little money - if he could put them in the team and avoid spending money on transfers, I''m sure he would. Wouldn''t he? I don''t know, but it seems strange.

Peter: If the players didn''t seem interested, but still created the best chances, that sounds like they are good players. Imagine if they *were* interested!

As for 5''8 not being tall enough for a striker... I don''t remember being too worried about Bellamy''s height. If you''re good enough....

[quote]Henderson, Jarvis, Brennen, Shackell (basically last years growing talent). Do you think they are up to the standard?[/quote]

Yes they are but I don''t think the youngesters warrant a place in the first XI at present considering the other players we have at our disposal.

Henderson, Jarvis, and Shackell are all potential for the future and just because they performed last year doesn''t mean to say NW is going to gamble on them just yet (especially as a poor performance could knock their confidence).
Of these Henderson has the best chance as I don''t think we''ve really sorted out the right side of midfield and there''s not much to choose between McVeigh, Jonson and Hendo.
Our defence has been our most impressive part of the team and I can''t see the need to change it and Helveg and Doherty would probably get the nod there.
Jarvis is in the queue behind Leon, Matty and Doherty (if only the queue was in that order !!!).

Brennan is a different matter and his omission perplexes me. I would have though he would be ideal in front of Drury, giving us a strong left side both attacking and defensively. Seems to me though, he''s heading for the Heckingbottom, Briggs etc i.e. a year in the reserves and then we give him away!

I have to say I am disappointed that the didnt seem interested. The club does have cover across the squad and the chances of any of the youngster getting a game this season is remote.

But surely by putting in some effort and trying to catch the managers eye with a string of positive performance there comes a time, perhaps in Jan etc, when he would have to give you a go, from the bench if necessary.

I am suprised at Hendo - he has always given his all, disappointed with Brennan but with Jarvis does it confirm the too big for his boots reputation gained over the summer? If cant be bothered to show hopw good he is why would I want him in the first team?

OTBC

It''ll be interesting to see what team Nige puts out tonight.  I can see players like Brennan, Jarvis, Hendo etc getting a game.  I know it''ll only be against a Div 3 club, but at least we''ll get a look at them.

I pretty sure Shacks will turn into a very good centre back.  In a year he''ll break through to the first team.  As for the others...  If we stay up, I doubt they will stay much longer

I doubt they will get a game, not after having played last night! Plus, Worthy has said he''ll put out a strong(est) team.