Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

Why is Theoklitos getting so much stick?

The way some are talking he was at fault for everything we did........... 

I watched the highlights on canariesworld numerous times and this is my opinion............

(1) He was somewhat at fault for the first goal but the horrific backpass put him in real trouble where he was left in no mans land knowing he couldn''t catch the ball.

Its a rare sitaution for keepers because most defenders have a brain bigger than a pea and don''t try and lob the ball back to a keeper who can''t catch it.

Semi may have the physical attributes for the Prem but he doesnt have the footballing brain for local Sunday morning football.

(2) The commentary suggested he could have done better on lisbies shot......... Having watched it again it wasn''t a bad save, maybe he could have held it but the fact is our defence were turned inside out and no where when platt followed up.

Not sure how this was that terrible. He might have done a bit better but the shot was not exactly straight at him.

(3) This goal was more horrific defending......... keeper had no chance from point blank range.

(4) This was a fantastic free kick. Bad defending gave it away. Keeper had no chance.

(5) Again terrible defending from the the throw. The header was point blank range, not sure what he could do.

Watch this goal carefully and watch how Platt leaves Semi who just watches the whole thing like he doesn''t care. Unreal.

(6) A Goss type volley that gave the keeper no chance, not sure how anyone could blame him for this?

(7) More horrific defending/missed tackles forced him to come into no mans land, not sure how its his fault so many people in front of him were so unbelieveably bad.

Again after watching all the goals carefully I don''t get why Theoklitos is getting so much stick..............

Did he have a good game......... of course not.........but I don''t think he deserves a lot of the blame which was clearly down to horrific defending.

think it is a bit unfair and that people are just following on a bit, the 2nd goal i thought he could of done better but the 3rd Nelson should of been goal side of lisbie, can''t see why he''s getting blamed for the 7th as he closed the angle down and Doc decided to run next to him instead of marking the scorer, no stopping the 6th,

Having watched the backpass from Otsemoboor over 5 times, you just gotta laugh man. It was the single worst backpass ive ever seen in my life!

[quote user="USAcanary"]

I watched the highlights on canariesworld numerous times and this is my opinion............

(1) He was somewhat at fault for the first goal but the horrific backpass put him in real trouble where he was left in no mans land knowing he couldn''t catch the ball.

Its a rare sitaution for keepers because most defenders have a brain bigger than a pea and don''t try and lob the ball back to a keeper who can''t catch it.

Semi may have the physical attributes for the Prem but he doesnt have the footballing brain for local Sunday morning football.

(2) The commentary suggested he could have done better on lisbies shot......... Having watched it again it wasn''t a bad save, maybe he could have held it but the fact is our defence were turned inside out and no where when platt followed up.

Not sure how this was that terrible. He might have done a bit better but the shot was not exactly straight at him.

(3) This goal was more horrific defending......... keeper had no chance from point blank range.

(4) This was a fantastic free kick. Bad defending gave it away. Keeper had no chance.

(5) Again terrible defending from the the throw. The header was point blank range, not sure what he could do.

Watch this goal carefully and watch how Platt leaves Semi who just watches the whole thing like he doesn''t care. Unreal.

(6) A Goss type volley that gave the keeper no chance, not sure how anyone could blame him for this?

(7) More horrific defending/missed tackles forced him to come into no mans land, not sure how its his fault so many people in front of him were so unbelieveably bad.

Again after watching all the goals carefully I don''t get why Theoklitos is getting so much stick..............

Did he have a good game......... of course not.........but I don''t think he deserves a lot of the blame which was clearly down to horrific defending.

[/quote]FFS!1. Shocking passback by Otsemobor (get rid of him), equally shocking goalkeeping, what was he even trying to do?2. Possibly the worst one, any Sunday League amateur goalkeeper (myself included) would fully expect to hold it with ease if for whatever inexplicable reason he couldn''t hold it, you palm it out of the way, not straight to their striker.3. Not a lot he could have done, very poor defending.4. Bad positioning by the goalkeeper, nothing special free kick, was put near centre. Keeper should have saved.5.  Shocking defending, Nelson looks abysmal. Keeper could have made an effort to claim prior to the header coming in but most blame is on Nelson.6. Definitely saveable, 50/50 maybe, some keepers certainly would have saved it, some certainly would.7. Truly shocking defending, Nelson in particular again.

I think the main concern was his lack of "presence"; Otsemobor (may his name be cursed, even unto the seventh generation) was the architect of the ensuing chaos, but the way Theo flapped at the ball as it went over his head was ...well ... pathetic. Likewise his push out for the 2nd goal.. He really should have caught it.I know we can''t expect the new Peter Shilton in goal, but we really need someone with a bit more gumption than that.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

Try this,

1) shocking back pass, but all theoklitos has to do is out jump 5ft8 lisbie and get something on the ball, anything would have done but he failed to even touch the ball, shocking

2) Poor defending by the doc, but lisbie''s shot is poor, no more than 3 yards to theo''s left with very little power, as a keeper if your going to parry a shot the first rule is to push it away from goal, under no circumstances do you push it back into play!

3) for me there is no blame for theo on this one just shocking defending from the back four.

4) average free kick, hit the net a good yard inside the post, would expect any keeper to get a hand to it, just look at his starting position !! again shocking.

5) worst of the bunch for me, he comes out then stops then comes then takes a step back and by the time Lisbie heads is in no-mans land, again shocking defending again this time by nelson who somehow manages to do nothing !

6) no blame on this one just a great goal.

7) shocking defending again by nelson just felt theo was slow to make any decision to come out to close down but its prob a bit harsh to blame him.

thank god he has 3 games away from home to prove us wrong.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

Punch the ball instead of flapping at it ?

The shot wasn''t exactly a net-buster, could & should have held on to it

Should have commanded his area instead of jumping around on the goal line like a demented kangaroo

Positioning of wall was a bit suspect & so was his positioning for the kick.

Again. needs to command his area, & when the ball is in the area, a goalie is allowed to use his hands. perhaps he could have tried that instead of jumping up with his arms by his side

The only way he could maybe have stopped this was to grow a few inches. Still stoppable though.

Don''t panic Mr Mainwaring ! I think his goose was cooked at this point & he had realised it was a bad day at the office.

[/quote]

The whole team were worse than awful, but unfortunately I think a lot of criticism lies with the goalie. As soon as he started flapping & making mistakes the nervousness spread throughout the team.

Worse keeper I''ve ever seen in a City shirt.

[quote user="newboy"]

4) average free kick, hit the net a good yard inside the post, would expect any keeper to get a hand to it, just look at his starting position !! again shocking.

[/quote]Also, with the ball curling away, it meant the ball passed him near the centre of goal. Definitely should''ve saved.

I would think it was fairly obvious. He was absolutely, absolutely terrible. I''ve never seen a more inept goalkeeping performance in my life. The only goal he couldn''t have done anything about was the sixth.

Yes the defendng was bad but to be honest, even when the defending was at fault for the third goal or the first, he still managed to mess it up either by missing a smple punch or attempting to run out and thien watching the ball sail over his head.

I don''t post very often and I do feel a bit sorry for the bloke but I''ve never been so infuruated by a single performance in all my years of supporting norwich.

He MUST be dropped.

[quote user="Yellow Fever"][quote user="USAcanary"]

Punch the ball instead of flapping at it ?

The shot wasn''t exactly a net-buster, could & should have held on to it

Should have commanded his area instead of jumping around on the goal line like a demented kangaroo

Positioning of wall was a bit suspect & so was his positioning for the kick.

Again. needs to command his area, & when the ball is in the area, a goalie is allowed to use his hands. perhaps he could have tried that instead of jumping up with his arms by his side

The only way he could maybe have stopped this was to grow a few inches. Still stoppable though.

Don''t panic Mr Mainwaring ! I think his goose was cooked at this point & he had realised it was a bad day at the office.

[/quote]

The whole team were worse than awful, but unfortunately I think a lot of criticism lies with the goalie. As soon as he started flapping & making mistakes the nervousness spread throughout the team.

Worse keeper I''ve ever seen in a City shirt.

[/quote]

Simple question..........What would the score have been with a better keeper/performance? 4-1, 5-1 6-1 instead?

That''s my point........The keeper had a bad day but a lot of the problems that led to the goals were not his fault......

Untill we address those problems first, the worlds best goalie is still going to ship a ton of goals every game.

FWIW I am not saying Theoklitis is a good keeper. (he played badly on Saturday but did well by all acounts in the two pre-season games).......... I just think he is getting far more of the blame than he should be getting.

Bad keeping is a minor problem as we can always bring in Rudd or Ben Alnwick but bad defending (as a team) is far more worrying and much harder to put right.

RE: 1st goal - surely from a backpass Theo couldn''t have touched the ball with his hands?

Think the major blame for that one lies with Otsemobor. Still a shocking game from Theo though, although i''d give him another chance. Despite Saturday I still believe he is a good goalkeeper.

That''s a very interesting comment TB and I''m not being argumentative , but on what exactly do you base your belief that he is a "good goalkeeper"? Have you seen him play? Is it his playing record at a decent standard of Pro Football? Or is it just that you have been told that he is ?

And there is the issue. We are told that these guys are up to standard. And sadly many of them aren''t.

Theo was partly to blame for goals 1, 2, 5 and 7.  He was almost wholly to blame for goal 4, the lining up of the wall made Paul Gallacher look like Peter Shilton.Friends who sat in the N&P confirmed he was utterly silent, didn''t command or shout at the defence, and looked like he was "bricking it".  No confidence, no confidence inspired.No surprise the EDP player ratings gave him the bottom mark of 2 (and that was 1 too many IMO).

As a bit of an aside, can anyone who was at the match tell me if Lisbie made contact with the ball before it drifted over Theo''s head? I''ve been obsessively replaying it ( from Anglia News ) & it''s impossible to tell.Struck me how, if any one of about 3 people had been half-decent, most of those goals could have been preventsd. Really, really depressing.Good free kick though

[quote user="ron obvious"]

Struck me how, if any one of about 3 people had been half-decent, most of those goals could have been preventsd. Really, really depressing.
Good free kick though

[/quote]

Look again at where Theo is standing for the free kick [;)]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

Struck me how, if any one of about 3 people had been half-decent, most of those goals could have been preventsd. Really, really depressing.Good free kick though[/quote]

[/quote]And where the ball ended up.... Not in the corner. Any keeper worth his salt would have saved that.

Good free kick though

[/quote]

Just re watch it and look at theo''s starting position, he stands about a yard from the far post, talk about inviting the shot ! my mum could have put the ball in with that amount room to aim at !

I''m pretty much with USACanary but I too wasn''t at the game so have only been able to judge Theo''s performance on what the camera showed.

What struck me most was the feeling that, not only was the keeper mistrusted by his co-defenders, but so was every other defender, with the result that (almost) everyone was trying to everyone else''s job in the box, hence ''chaos''. Whether or not you blame management for this situation, experienced footballers, like any other profession, should know that you do your own job and let other people do theirs. I sense that on Saturday they knew this, then in their collective panic, forgot it.

Because I wasn''t at the match I am reluctant to aportion blame but I was left thinking that, at times like this, clearly defined & decisive leadership on the pitch is crucial. The theory that we have lots of leaders on the pitch seems a good one but maybe this is flawed - perhaps we need just one, really good one. 

[quote user="JTG"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]

Struck me how, if any one of about 3 people had been half-decent, most of those goals could have been preventsd. Really, really depressing.Good free kick though[/quote]

[/quote]And where the ball ended up.... Not in the corner. Any keeper worth his salt would have saved that.[/quote]Not so sure - the ball seemed to curl to the right of the wall & then swerved left to end up close to the left rear stanchion. Difficult to tell from the telly angle, but it looked a fair old swerve to me.

Theo had a poor game. But you are right that he wasn''t at fault for all the goals.

The biggest thing that worried me is he looked unsure.

For the first goal he had his eyes shut! His flippin'' eyes shut! The second was a pathetic save pushed out straight to their player. The first was a keeper''s ball, which proves he isnt a keeper. A tall keeper would have had a chance at the fourth - thats not his fault but he''s way too small for the bruisers in Division 3. The only goal he didnt have a part in was the 6th. He is dire. As are our central defenders.

I can confirm that Lisbie did indeed touch the ball beofre it went over Theos head so if he had been concentrating enough and watching the ball instead of being worried about being clattered then he would have seen this and been able to just catch the ball instead of trying to punch/head the ball and doing neither

Theo could not have used his hands at all for the first goal as it was a back pass. I think Semmy and Doc should not play again as it was the same sh*t different game and this has been happening for the last 3 years. Theo had NO help what so ever. Yes theo needs to improve but the biggest change has to be Spillane for Semmy and Askou for Doc.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]Don''t understand it either and most of criticism comes from his performance on first two goals. After that he had little chance with any and to say he is the worst goalie ever seen is just plain daft.