Sign in to follow this  
big ed

Hello from up North!

I Have been watching your msg board with some interest since your humiliation at the weekend, I simply can’t believe that a club of your stature has been reduced to such a shambles, and would like to offer an outsiders opinion on the situation.

I’m sure you all know this, but if you really want to show Delia and co that you mean business, you have to vote with your feet and simply not turn up! Although I suspect that like many other clubs there are too many folks that will never consider this a viable option, and although perfectly understandable to want to support your team, this is not helping long-term because while this remains the case the board are under no real pressure to act. You really do have to step backwards in order to go forwards sometimes!

I don’t know the situation surrounding the appointment of Mr Gunn as manager, but I would ask one question, that being – setting aside Mr Gunn’s long association with NCFC, would he have been the best man for the job all things being equal? My guess is that he isn’t and therefore should not be your manager now. An appointment in any type of industry based on sentiment is doomed. What is a real concern is that people charged with making these decisions can be so blinded even after making bad managerial appointments in the past.

Hope you get a new board and managerial team soon and get back where you belong! If you boycott games you’ll get them sooner!

Yours an empathetic Sunderland fan

Greetings big ed.

You''ve called it more or less spot on, sometimes it takes an outsider to see things clearly.

We have an owner who has more or less withdrawn from the real world of professional football, and the more we call for her to depart the more she refuses to budge.  We''re falling down a very deep hole and haven''t reached the bottom yet, and there''s nothing so bad that it couldn''t possibly happen, including the club ceasing to exist.  Administration is starting to look like a soft option, it really is that bad.

The two lads who went on the pitch on Saturday at 0-4 and threw their season tickets at the dugout (a father and son) are not being prosecuted and have only got a caution - even the police are sympathetic.

Your support and interest is much appreciated.

[quote user="big ed"]I Have been watching your msg board with some interest since your humiliation at the weekend, I simply can’t believe that a club of your stature has been reduced to such a shambles, and would like to offer an outsiders opinion on the situation.

I’m sure you all know this, but if you really want to show Delia and co that you mean business, you have to vote with your feet and simply not turn up! Although I suspect that like many other clubs there are too many folks that will never consider this a viable option, and although perfectly understandable to want to support your team, this is not helping long-term because while this remains the case the board are under no real pressure to act. You really do have to step backwards in order to go forwards sometimes!

I don’t know the situation surrounding the appointment of Mr Gunn as manager, but I would ask one question, that being – setting aside Mr Gunn’s long association with NCFC, would he have been the best man for the job all things being equal? My guess is that he isn’t and therefore should not be your manager now. An appointment in any type of industry based on sentiment is doomed. What is a real concern is that people charged with making these decisions can be so blinded even after making bad managerial appointments in the past.

Hope you get a new board and managerial team soon and get back where you belong! If you boycott games you’ll get them sooner!

Yours an empathetic Sunderland fan[/quote]

19000 have paid,delia is sitting back and laughing! I will stand up and be counted. glad you see what trouble we are in,we have been saying this for years,shame some fans still feel the need to back her!

I feel your pain guys!

The club have your money true - however empty seats make headlines! Especially for a club that is getting 25k + every home match.

It would be impossible for the club to defend it as anything else apart from complete supporter disgust! While they have 25k every week they can always use it as a defence against any such claim!

Doesn''t sound like your going to be missing much the way things are in anyway!

Hi Big Ed...glad to see our good relations with Sunderland fans still remain....isnt it great to see Newcastle "greatest fans in the world" United in so much trouble ha ha

I agree it would send a message, especially if they stayed outside and protested during the game.

Roeder''s sacking in January was triggered by a half empty stadium for a cup replay against Charlton.  With season ticket renewal time looming they panicked, rang up the Irish FA to see if Nigel Worthington would come back part time - no I''m not making it up [:D] - then settled for a club ''Legend'' to get bums on seats for next season before the honeymoon period wore off.  Job done.

The root of the problem is this.  Delia and her husband are determined to hang on to the club at all costs, including the cost of football failure.  They won''t even stand back and let people who know what they''re doing run the club.  Gunn was their choice and theirs alone.  

Administration seems the only way to try and bring about change.  We can''t be far off it if their comment at last night''s meeting, that packing the stadium every week doesn''t even cover League 1 running costs, is true (you have to wonder how our rivals with 6 or 7k manage).  Boycotting merchandise and catering might even be enough to send the club over the edge but that won''t happen either. 

I''m Norfolk by birth and upbringing but not by descent, so I can be slightly objective.  For all their good qualities, Norfolk people can be stubborn to the point of idiocy.  Get an idea fixed in their heads (which isn''t easy in itself lol) and you''ll never shift it.  Challenge them on the season ticket issue and they''ll say "I support my team through thick and thin" and are either unable or unwilling to accept that they can''t do that at present without shoring up a failing regime and prolonging the agony.  Tough love seems to be an alien concept.

Tin hat, take cover . . . [:D]

Just to add:  One of the most outstanding qualities of Norfolk people is loyalty.  Their loyalty is being exploited by the club in a way which makes me utterly sick and very very angry [:@]

[quote user="big ed"]I Have been watching your msg board with some interest since your humiliation at the weekend, I simply can’t believe that a club of your stature has been reduced to such a shambles, and would like to offer an outsiders opinion on the situation. I’m sure you all know this, but if you really want to show Delia and co that you mean business, you have to vote with your feet and simply not turn up! Although I suspect that like many other clubs there are too many folks that will never consider this a viable option, and although perfectly understandable to want to support your team, this is not helping long-term because while this remains the case the board are under no real pressure to act. You really do have to step backwards in order to go forwards sometimes! I don’t know the situation surrounding the appointment of Mr Gunn as manager, but I would ask one question, that being – setting aside Mr Gunn’s long association with NCFC, would he have been the best man for the job all things being equal? My guess is that he isn’t and therefore should not be your manager now. An appointment in any type of industry based on sentiment is doomed. What is a real concern is that people charged with making these decisions can be so blinded even after making bad managerial appointments in the past. Hope you get a new board and managerial team soon and get back where you belong! If you boycott games you’ll get them sooner! Yours an empathetic Sunderland fan[/quote]

any chance of getting henderson on loan from you boys