Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Theoklitos apologises to fans.....

Norwich keeper Michael Theoklitos has admitted his debut for the Canaries was his worst ever performance.

The Australian conceded five goals within the opening 38 minutes as Colchester United won 7-1.

The 28-year-old was jeered by some Norwich supporters as they slipped to a record home defeat.

"It''s the worst performance I''ve had in my career, I want to apologise to the fans on behalf of myself and the team," Theoklitos told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"It was the toughest game I have ever been involved with in my career, it was one you want to forget quite quickly.

"We have been doing well in pre-season and dish that out in front of our home supporters was really disappointing, it wasn''t good enough," said Theoklitos.

Norwich manager Gunn, a former goalkeeper himself, has backed Theoklitos to bounce back from his horrendous debut.

"Michael is a strong character, that''s one of the reasons we brought him to the club," said Gunn.

"We need to asses him to make sure everything physically and mentally is right and I am sure if he was put down on the teamsheet [at Yeovil in the Carling Cup on Tuesday] he''d be the first to try and make up for individual errors made on Saturday."

Theoklitos''s position in the starting line-up could come under pressure from Ben Alnwick, who is on loan to the Canaries from Tottenham.

Teenager Declan Rudd is also waiting in the wings.

Does anyone else agree with me that he just had a really bad peformance and got a bit unlucky and that doesnt mean he should get dropped? He needs to prove to himself, the team and the fans that he isnt that bad and improve his confidence...

Loz, Blackpool happen to be a league above us. So he can quite feasibly be not good enough for Blackpool, but good enough for us, capiche?

"It was the toughest game I have ever been involved with in my career, it was one you want to forget quite quickly"Now that is worrying.That was Colchester Utd we played on Saturday - not bloody Chelsea, or even Leeds or Huddersfield.If he thought that was ''tough'' I am seriously concerned about his credentials as a ''keeper.

From what I hear pre-season he was cak also.

Make Alnwick''s loan season long and then play him in the cups. Zorba on the bench so Rudd can get some game time elsewhere.

Just hope Alnwick doesn''t get injured.

[quote user="LQ"]"It was the toughest game I have ever been involved with in my career, it was one you want to forget quite quickly"

Now that is worrying.

That was Colchester Utd we played on Saturday - not bloody Chelsea, or even Leeds or Huddersfield.

If he thought that was ''tough'' I am seriously concerned about his credentials as a ''keeper.

[/quote]

Agreed

LQ, i expect better from you.

He quite clearly means the circumstances, the disastrous start, and the pressure of it being his debut, rather than the opposition being too much for him.

[quote user="Brendan"]Norwich keeper Michael Theoklitos has admitted his debut for the Canaries was his worst ever performance. The Australian conceded five goals within the opening 38 minutes as Colchester United won 7-1. The 28-year-old was jeered by some Norwich supporters as they slipped to a record home defeat. "It''s the worst performance I''ve had in my career, I want to apologise to the fans on behalf of myself and the team," Theoklitos told BBC Radio Norfolk. "It was the toughest game I have ever been involved with in my career, it was one you want to forget quite quickly. "We have been doing well in pre-season and dish that out in front of our home supporters was really disappointing, it wasn''t good enough," said Theoklitos. Norwich manager Gunn, a former goalkeeper himself, has backed Theoklitos to bounce back from his horrendous debut. "Michael is a strong character, that''s one of the reasons we brought him to the club," said Gunn. "We need to asses him to make sure everything physically and mentally is right and I am sure if he was put down on the teamsheet [at Yeovil in the Carling Cup on Tuesday] he''d be the first to try and make up for individual errors made on Saturday." Theoklitos''s position in the starting line-up could come under pressure from Ben Alnwick, who is on loan to the Canaries from Tottenham. Teenager Declan Rudd is also waiting in the wings. Does anyone else agree with me that he just had a really bad peformance and got a bit unlucky and that doesnt mean he should get dropped? He needs to prove to himself, the team and the fans that he isnt that bad and improve his confidence...[/quote]We have just signed him on a contract so he must be given chance to rectify and he wasn''t the only one that was poor.

[quote user="LQ"]"It was the toughest game I have ever been involved with in my career, it was one you want to forget quite quickly"

Now that is worrying.

That was Colchester Utd we played on Saturday - not bloody Chelsea, or even Leeds or Huddersfield.

If he thought that was ''tough'' I am seriously concerned about his credentials as a ''keeper.

[/quote]

I think "toughest" refers to how it all panned out, i.e. making mistakes, playing badly and the team getting slaughtered, I don''t think he is referring to Colchester as the toughest team!

Now that is worrying.

[/quote]He wouldn''t have meant that Colchester were a tough proposition just that the way the game developed made it a tough game to play in.

I blame Otsemoboor more, his backpass was dreadfull, Theo paniced and tried to punch it which was just a flop. After this his confidence was zero and therefore that hindered his peformance dramatically. Otsemoboor more to blame than Theo!!??

These type of games happen, Gunny conceded 7 many years ago and even teams like Man U have conceded 5 in the (not distant) past, so how can we judge the guy after one game?? It was a freak result and I can''t see each match going the same way.Admittedly it''s an awful start and it''s a wake up call for our team who maybe presumed they should just walk through this league only to find sides will come here and actually play football (rather than the rough stuff they say league one is famed for).But the only way is up for Theo and I for one am still hopeful for this season...but then again I''ve had a really crappy last couple of days and today I''m trying to stay positive.

these guys are supposed to be professionals sabes? oi ? we wanna go up a league don''t we? so obviously tu no capiche cazzo, porca troya. brenda how are we this morning?

[quote user="Brendan"]I blame Otsemoboor more, his backpass was dreadfull, Theo paniced and tried to punch it which was just a flop. After this his confidence was zero and therefore that hindered his peformance dramatically. Otsemoboor more to blame than Theo!!??[/quote]brandon paniced is missing a k please brush up on your spelling bee

[quote user="Bryan Gunn - Tactical Genius"]From what I hear pre-season he was cak also.[/quote] Who did you hear that from, he only played in the Wigan game and it is almost impossible to put the goals down to him in that match.

We most certainly do, but the fact of the matter is we''re in League One, so most of our squad is League One standard.

Ultimately we''d no doubt like to make the Premier, but if we stuck to a transfer policy of only buying proven Premier quality right now, i doubt we''d get very far. Because we''d have a non-existant squad.

Sorry guys but the man is a professional footballer - paid good money to do his job.I know exactly what he meant and what I was saying was for a debut there was plenty of tougher opposition he could have faced in this league. Add to that the full house, ecstatic in their pre-match jubilations all ready to get behind the boys and all that malarky.Tough game? No. A tough game would have been a season opener at Elland Road with 400 away supporters being screamed down by the Leeds Utd throng. That''s tough. Not coming into Carrow Road after an unbeaten pre-season with confidence and fitness apparently peaking at just the right time.He''s got a lot to learn if he thinks that was tough.

[quote user="LQ"]"It was the toughest game I have ever been involved with in my career, it was one you want to forget quite quickly"Now that is worrying.That was Colchester Utd we played on Saturday - not bloody Chelsea, or even Leeds or Huddersfield.If he thought that was ''tough'' I am seriously concerned about his credentials as a ''keeper.

[/quote]To be fair to him, I think he was referring to the toughness of the experience of conceding seven goals, LQ, rather than the toughness of playing Colchester per se.

Got to disagree with you again LQ.

An away game to Leeds would''ve meant very little pressure. League One or not, Norwich away to anyone is never going to lead to confident and expectant supporters.

As it was, it''s his first competitive game in England, and he''s in front of 25,000 fans, probably the biggest crowd he''s ever played against, who predominantly sense an easy victory not just in this one game, but over the course of the season. Add in the fact that he''s thousands of miles from home, and i can understand how it might not have been particularly comfortable for the lad.

More importantly though, he''s playing behind that shambles of a back four.

And you reckon that''s not ''tough''? You''re a hard woman then, LQ! ;o)

He''ll find his feet and settle in, i hope. Fact is, he can''t be as bad as we all saw on Saturday. He''d never have made it as a footballer if he was.

[quote user="LQ"]Sorry guys but the man is a professional footballer - paid good money to do his job.

I know exactly what he meant and what I was saying was for a debut there was plenty of tougher opposition he could have faced in this league. Add to that the full house, ecstatic in their pre-match jubilations all ready to get behind the boys and all that malarky.

Tough game? No. A tough game would have been a season opener at Elland Road with 400 away supporters being screamed down by the Leeds Utd throng. That''s tough. Not coming into Carrow Road after an unbeaten pre-season with confidence and fitness apparently peaking at just the right time.

He''s got a lot to learn if he thinks that was tough.

[/quote]

Regardless of what he is paid, it was still a tough situation for him being jeered everytime he came near the ball. He knows he played a terrible game and he has apologised he is only human at the end of the day. I wont be writing him off on one performance no matter how tempting it is, there are other guys who have had bad matches in that back on saturday who have many many terrible games for us, yet have chance after chance. If the guy plays on Tuesday and does bad again then sure we cant keep him in the side, but i am willing to give him another chance especially as its the carling cup not the league.

Well if he''s not mentally up for the trials and tribulations of a pro player at a well supported team that''s simply another concern to add to my (overflowing) bucket of concerns...Anyway, looking back to a quote from Gunny after the pre-season game at Selhurst I guess I''ll concede this one. They obviously just need a little more time to gel*Manager Bryan Gunn praised Theoklitos for his debut performance.He

said: “Michael was excellent. I was sitting beside Ian Crook, and we

were watching play at the other end but we could hear Michael talking

to his defenders and shouting out instructions. That''s what we knew we

were signing, someone to organise the back four and once that

relationship builds between Michael and the defence, we''ll see more of

what we saw tonight - clean sheets.”
From Cuffley''s column 29/07/09 (ie less than 2 weeks ago)

*aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I suppose there''s always the alternative theory for the conspiracists out there, that he was trying to get himself subbed at half-time so he could go and watch the Ashes match.

We''ll be alright once the series has finished!

He was only ''jeered'' after the 4th or 5th goal (and it was more an ironic cheer when he collected the ball in his hands).

Nobody was jeering him at the start of the game.

I watched him at the Wigan game and thought he looked suspect then - he wasn''t exactly ''vocal'', did not command the penalty area, didn''t come for crosses from couple of corners and generally looked a bit small/lightweight. The Wigan goals were not his ''fault'' but he didn''t get anywhere near them either.

Yes, Saturday was Theo''s biggest match of his career so far. That''s what you get for signing an Aussie keeper without much of a track record.

Kudos to him for apologising but I suspect Team Gunn were concerned about him or they wouldn''t have loaned Alnwick (unless they didn''t trust Rudd as back-up).

Saying all that, the only way we''ll know if he''s worth the 2-year contract he''s been given is if he plays a few more games. If he''s as poor as he was on Saturday then it''s going to be an expensive way of finding it out.

[quote user="Brendan"]I am very well this morning thanks Loz.

Hows this rainy Monday morning treating you?[/quote]fine thank you very much here its 38 c with blue skies of to the beach in bit

[quote user="person with unquotable log in"]I suppose there''s always the alternative theory for the conspiracists out there, that he was trying to get himself subbed at half-time so he could go and watch the Ashes match.

We''ll be alright once the series has finished![/quote]And Freddie''s back and Key''s in![;)]

Was is Crook who was responsible for bringing this Goalie to Norwich as he is from Australia, if it is this is a real worry for me. That other bloke Crook brought to the club last year was the worst player I have ever seen play profession football.