Sign in to follow this  
Destort

Why blame Theoklitos?

Let''s get one thing straight here. If any striker playing in the football league had 90 minutes of shooting at a goalkeeper with effectively no defence in front of them, they are going to score a lot of goals. The best goalkeepers in the world would struggle with the display from the outfield players on Saturday. Yes errors were made but the slating of a goalkeeper settling into a new team on the 1st game of the season is just self destructive.

I''m sure there will be a barrage of, ''becasue he''s crap'' responses, but he deserves more time.

Goalkeepers are easy targets.. When you look at the goals, the defence was static and non-existant. As someone said in WOTB The Doc and Semi must be so releived Thoe has taken the flack and diverted it wawy from them.

Can''t really say that I agree with the idea that he "deserves" more time.

I''ve only seen him twice. I thought he was very unconvincing in the Wigan game and obviously on Saturday he never looked like saving anything.

With the arrival of Alnwick he needed to make sure that he made it clear he was first choice ''keeper but he failed to do that. If he loses his place he''s only himself to blame.

If he does play again then I''ll be hoping he can put it right and show he''s a good ''keeper.

He was not the only one to be blamed.Otsemobor set the whole sorry saga going. Nelson and Doc are both too slow and should not play together again, and Dury was out of position. These are comments which were frequently made.If you read the suggested teams against Yeovil on this site, Spillane is in most of them, and Askou is in also, but it is assumed that one or both of Doc and Nelson will be dropped. One or two have even suggested bringing in Dumic or Stevens, and also Harbergham for Drury.There may have been an over-reaction against Theo, because he was brought in with such a fanfare, top signing, best in Australia, world cup candidate but for Greece or Australia? He made some fairly elementary errors.As others have observed, if a goalkeeper makes an error the result is a goal. If a defender makes an error there is always the goalkeeper to redeem things. It does seem that his failures cost us 4 or 5 goals, but in most cases there was defensive failure beforehand.

[quote user="GJP"]

I''ve only seen him twice. I thought he was very unconvincing in the Wigan game and obviously on Saturday he never looked like saving anything.

With the arrival of Alnwick he needed to make sure that he made it clear he was first choice ''keeper but he failed to do that. If he loses his place he''s only himself to blame.

If he does play again then I''ll be hoping he can put it right and show he''s a good ''keeper.

[/quote]

Alnwick looked shaky at best against Man Utd XI though. As he has in previous games I have seen him play elsewhere. His kicking was like having Andy Marshall back.

[quote user="Big Bob"]Most to blame in order : Nelson Otsemobor Doc Theoklitos[/quote]

very worrying when we have goalkeeper as manager with a defender as his assistant!

The whole defence was at fault.  However, Theo raised a lot of concerns for me with the performance and his general demeanour.

[quote user="ACE"]The whole defence was at fault.  However, Theo raised a lot of concerns for me with the performance and his general demeanour.[/quote]

Punching above his weight springs to mind!

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="ACE"]The whole defence was at fault.  However, Theo raised a lot of concerns for me with the performance and his general demeanour.
[/quote]

Punching above his weight springs to mind!
[/quote]

I think it was actually the punching above his head that was one of the problems for the first goal... [;)]

Seriously though, I''ve only been able to watch the highlights on the Beeb, and it does seem like the whole sorry collapse was brought about by Semmy''s inexplicable back-pass - in fact, it wasn''t so much a pass, as a bad attempt to lob the ''keeper.  I can only really recall the first and last goals off the top of my head, but the last saw Drury sauntering casually, sticking out a leg half-heartedly, and doing a passable impression of Etuhu as he stood back and watched the drama unfold.  I know we were already dead and buried by then, but you''d at least expect Drury to have the heart to commit himself - maybe his legs are going too.

I agree that we should be giving the defence an overhaul tonight but giving Theo the chance to see how he plays without his goal being peppered with shots.  Spillane at RB, Askou in for Nelson (The Doc at least has a proven record of being able to dispatch some last-ditch tackles, even if mostly he''s put himself in the situation in the first place) and see how Drury fairs too.  If not, a fit-again Wiggins (whenever that is) will be biting at his heels for his place.

In all, its a fine balance between giving those who performed so poorly on Saturday a second chance to show what they can do, and dropping them completely to shake them out of any comfort zone.  Personally, I''d go with:

Theo

Spillane        Doc           Askou           Drury

Hughes        Gill       Adeyemi      Hoolahoop

Martin         McDonald

But that''s just gut-instinct from someone who was, until about 17.30, enjoying the sun across the Peaks of Derbyshire, blissfully unaware of the tonking that was unfolding some hundreds of miles away....

[quote user="Destort"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Alnwick looked shaky at best against Man Utd XI though. As he has in previous games I have seen him play elsewhere. His kicking was like having Andy Marshall back.

[/quote]

Didn''t see the Utd game.

But "shakey at best" would be an improvement on what Theo has done so far.

At least Alnwick has proven he can keep goal in English club football. Still waiting for Theo to do it.

[quote user="Destort"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

WHAT!! You can''t be serious!  He was very good against Utd. Commanded his area well and, in case you have forgotten, saved a penalty! Compared to Theoklitis he was world class.  You my friend are seriously deluded.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Destort"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

WHAT!! You can''t be serious!  He was very good against Utd. Commanded his area well and, in case you have forgotten, saved a penalty! Compared to Theoklitis he was world class.  You my friend are seriously deluded.

[/quote]

His kicking was awful and that penalty made Evra''s at the weekend look amazing.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Destort"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

His kicking was awful and that penalty made Evra''s at the weekend look amazing.

[/quote]You still have to save it, Theo wouldnt of saved it. He''s so good he couldnt get a game for Blackpool last time he played in this country

To be honest having given it some time and thought, Otsemebor must ultimately take the majority of the blame for the game in my eyes, this is not the first time he''s made huge mistakes and shows no signs of ever improving, he must not start tonight unless Gunn is suicidal...

[quote user="ncfcfan"]
You still have to save it, Theo wouldnt of saved it. He''s so good he couldnt get a game for Blackpool last time he played in this country
[/quote]

How do you know he wouldn''t of saved it? I reckon both me and you would of probably saved it.

He was 22 and got injured, How many first team goalkeepers are that young?

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Destort"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Seriously deluded? Yes i remember the penalty save which was hit directly at him. He kicked the ball straight out of play on more than one occasion, one sliced directly to the right hand side if you remember?

I would actually listen to your opinion if you''d been watching Theoklitos for a season or 2 but you''re the typical armchair pundit.

I think that doc shouldnt be playing tonight, him and semmy just frustrated me on saturday!!! Plus the fact that doc is so slow, you can run around him without the need for any skill!! Then semmy does have pace, just doesnt use it when attacking, then that amazing back pass, he would have been better just picking the ball up!!

Anyone agree with me when i say that i thought his distribution looked pretty decent. Something that recent keepers in City colours have lacked, eg Marshall.

I was away for both the pre seasons at home :( so saturday was my first chance to really see any of the new players so it is hard to judge any new players on JUST 1 GAME!!!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="ACE"]The whole defence was at fault.  However, Theo raised a lot of concerns for me with the performance and his general demeanour.[/quote]

Punching above his weight springs to mind![/quote]

I think it was actually the punching above his head that was one of the problems for the first goal... [;)]

Seriously though, I''ve only been able to watch the highlights on the Beeb, and it does seem like the whole sorry collapse was brought about by Semmy''s inexplicable back-pass - in fact, it wasn''t so much a pass, as a bad attempt to lob the ''keeper.  I can only really recall the first and last goals off the top of my head, but the last saw Drury sauntering casually, sticking out a leg half-heartedly, and doing a passable impression of Etuhu as he stood back and watched the drama unfold.  I know we were already dead and buried by then, but you''d at least expect Drury to have the heart to commit himself - maybe his legs are going too.

I agree that we should be giving the defence an overhaul tonight but giving Theo the chance to see how he plays without his goal being peppered with shots.  Spillane at RB, Askou in for Nelson (The Doc at least has a proven record of being able to dispatch some last-ditch tackles, even if mostly he''s put himself in the situation in the first place) and see how Drury fairs too.  If not, a fit-again Wiggins (whenever that is) will be biting at his heels for his place.

In all, its a fine balance between giving those who performed so poorly on Saturday a second chance to show what they can do, and dropping them completely to shake them out of any comfort zone.  Personally, I''d go with:

Theo

Spillane        Doc           Askou           Drury

Hughes        Gill       Adeyemi      Hoolahoop

Martin         McDonald

But that''s just gut-instinct from someone who was, until about 17.30, enjoying the sun across the Peaks of Derbyshire, blissfully unaware of the tonking that was unfolding some hundreds of miles away....

[/quote]I agree with you on the defense mate, but feel a Hughes/Adeyemi midfield is the way to go tonight possibly with McVeigh on the right or a 4-3-3 with Hughes/OTJ/Adeyemi and MacDonald/Holt/Hoolahan frontline.Holt acually impressed me compared to the rest on saturday,  he just needs to get the ball more, which came from the rest of the team.

A goal keeper is only as good as his defence, but if the pillock in goal can''t organise his defence he should be dropped,

That 18 yrd box is his, what the hell he was doing to give lisby his first goal is tottally skhool boy errors,

why did he try to punch the ball when he could have caught it he has 2 bloody hands

Alnwick''s kicking was dodgy but he did nothing else wrong and frankly, as was the case when we had marshall, whilst its irritating if the keeper slices kicks out of play its by far the lesser of 2 evils in comparison with the ineptitude that we saw on Saturday. A dodgy keeper erodes the confidence of the whole defence (don''t know if he''s going to come for crosses or not etc) and I don''t see how Theo can pull it back from that display.

I would ditch Theo, nelson and Semi and go with Spillane, Doc, Askou and Drury until Wiggins is fit.

I also hope Adeyemi can play his way into the team tonight with a good performance as he is undoubtedly the future and IMHO better than any of our other central midfielders already!

Cody must also get a run in the side. We need pace and running off the shoulder alongside either Holt of Maric. A Martin/Holt/Maric combo is too one paced.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

A goal keeper is only as good as his defence, but if the pillock in goal can''t organise his defence he should be dropped,

That 18 yrd box is his, what the hell he was doing to give lisby his first goal is tottally skhool boy errors,

why did he try to punch the ball when he could have caught it he has 2 bloody hands

[/quote]

Surely, that would then have been a free kick inside the box to Col U, under the back pass rule?