Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

- Doherty: We are laughing stock after U's rout

[quote user="Duffman"]Doherty has been  the only consistent member of the team for the last 4 years.

In which time we have been relegated twice and survived relegation another time.

Now I know there are 10 other players out there with him but doesn''t it seem weird that things have gone downhill since he arrived.  

He gives away silly fouls inside and outside the box (was back to his best on Saturday with his octopus arms) and has been sent off on a few occasions for his poor timing in the tackle.    He was skinned by a kid against Man U and made to conceed a pen and then fell to floor when trying to tackle N''Zogbia a week later.   Then he gets turned by Lisbie so easily that he wouldnt have looked out of place in a Sunday league team.

Would anybody care to list his attributes ?  I dare you to.

Spurs fans laughed when we paid a Million pound for Doherty and I bet they haven''t stopped since.  

Don''t give me this bull about Doherty being our most consistent player for the last 2 or 3 years either because lets all be honest for a second, that is nothing to shout about.   I said this last year that if Gary Doherty is our best defender and most consistent then no wonder we are where we find ourselves today.    Worthy, Grant, Roeder and Gunny have all fallen for this guy and look where that got them.
[/quote]

Best post I have read today , so true and to the point. Can not understand why everyone linked to the club does not see it !!

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]Repeating myself from other posts but the Doc has been our most consistent player of the last 2/3 seasons, should have won player of the season last year, yes he had a bad game saturday but Nelson was so much worse, and Doc will prove again that he will be one of our best players again this season
[/quote]

Fully agree with that. Good post.

Doherty has been the only consistent member of our defence because he has been throughout that period our best defender. While the competition has not been good enough, and none of the last four managers have placed enough emphasis on strengthening the back four, i really have no idea why the Doc gets the most stick. Semmy Drury and Nelson were in my opinion far worse on Saturday for a start, and there were times at the end of last season when Doherty was immense, and severely let down by the haphazard collection of loanee defenders that accompanied him.

We are all aware of his shortcomings, he''s slow and his distribution isn''t great, but really what can we expect to attract? He is big, strong, brave and good in the air, and thats really the best attributes that you can realistically ask for in a league one defender. Above all, the main problem that we faced on saturday was a lack of defensive organisation, and that comes from the training pitch and the coaching team- and thats where the problems lie at the moment. We could replace Doc with Spillane or Askou and we''d still have the same problems.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="Fellas"]I think this is fantastic. According to this Doherty logic, we should sign players as long as they are slightly better than our worst players. And certainly Doc aint as bad as semmy, so we''re fine then, no problems....[/quote]

?

[/quote]

The main argument that I seem to find when it comes to Gary Doherty is that: he''s our most consistent player, he isn''t our worst player, he makes mistakes but so does the rest of the team, etc.

The thing is, how long will this go on? It''s been hapening for the past 4 years, the excuses of why a certain player is good enough etc. when in actual fact this team and it''s preceeding ones have been the worst in our club history. I''ve made excuse for many players on here including Gary but the reality is, the team is not good enough, and hasn''t been for a long time. We''ve continually followed the same lines of: "he''s an ok player", "he''s consistent" etc. but the reality is that''s why we''ve done so bad. We couldn''t replace those talented players and leaders on the park with adequate replacements. So it''s no surprise that we''ve plumbed all the way to the depths of a 7-1 thumping in league 1.

[quote user="Nicky F"]

[quote user="Duffman"]Doherty has been  the only consistent member of the team for the last 4 years.In which time we have been relegated twice and survived relegation another time.Now I know there are 10 other players out there with him but doesn''t it seem weird that things have gone downhill since he arrived.   He gives away silly fouls inside and outside the box (was back to his best on Saturday with his octopus arms) and has been sent off on a few occasions for his poor timing in the tackle.    He was skinned by a kid against Man U and made to conceed a pen and then fell to floor when trying to tackle N''Zogbia a week later.   Then he gets turned by Lisbie so easily that he wouldnt have looked out of place in a Sunday league team.Would anybody care to list his attributes ?  I dare you to.Spurs fans laughed when we paid a Million pound for Doherty and I bet they haven''t stopped since.   Don''t give me this bull about Doherty being our most consistent player for the last 2 or 3 years either because lets all be honest for a second, that is nothing to shout about.   I said this last year that if Gary Doherty is our best defender and most consistent then no wonder we are where we find ourselves today.    Worthy, Grant, Roeder and Gunny have all fallen for this guy and look where that got them.[/quote]

Best post I have read today , so true and to the point. Can not understand why everyone linked to the club does not see it !!

[/quote]Thanks.I can''t wait for someone to list his attributes though.    Come on, someone must have a list of them.

[quote user="motley7"]

Doherty has been the only consistent member of our defence because he has been throughout that period our best defender. While the competition has not been good enough, and none of the last four managers have placed enough emphasis on strengthening the back four, i really have no idea why the Doc gets the most stick. Semmy Drury and Nelson were in my opinion far worse on Saturday for a start, and there were times at the end of last season when Doherty was immense, and severely let down by the haphazard collection of loanee defenders that accompanied him.

We are all aware of his shortcomings, he''s slow and his distribution isn''t great, but really what can we expect to attract? He is big, strong, brave and good in the air, and thats really the best attributes that you can realistically ask for in a league one defender. Above all, the main problem that we faced on saturday was a lack of defensive organisation, and that comes from the training pitch and the coaching team- and thats where the problems lie at the moment. We could replace Doc with Spillane or Askou and we''d still have the same problems.

[/quote]Doherty comes in for the most stick because he has been the only consistent person in back for in the last 4 seasons in which we have continued to leak stupid goals and give away needless fouls.The defensive organisation during a match needs to come from one of your defenders and Doherty is the fricking captain for gods sake.   How can you blame the coaches???  They are not out there and can only do so much from the sides.Bryan Gunn had a decent pre season but his biggest mistake was when he annouced his captain.Doherty has never been out of the team for a sustained period of time so you cant say the same problems would be there if he wasnt playing, I am willing to bet they wouldn''t be though.

Yes I would like to see us have a better right sided central defender playing then Gary Doherty.But, when strengthening the back 4 we should start by removing the worst player, then the next worst and so on.Step forward Jon Otsemobor, joined summer 2007, played 79 matches in two seasons, average finish: Relegated by 1 point. (survived by 3 relegated by 5)Simply, while a new right sided central defender would be very nice, an new right back, one that can be described as ever being present  [in the was present at some point sense], and doesn''t lob our keeper etc etc etc is very neccessary!

[quote user="Duffman"]Doherty has never been out of the team for a sustained period of time so you cant say the same problems would be there if he wasnt playing, I am willing to bet they wouldn''t be though.[/quote]the first 12 matches of last season isn''t a sustained period then.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Duffman"]Doherty has never been out of the team for a sustained period of time so you cant say the same problems would be there if he wasnt playing, I am willing to bet they wouldn''t be though.[/quote]the first 12 matches of last season isn''t a sustained period then.[/quote]First 12 games of last season we conceeded 15 goals.The next 12 games we conceeded 28 and Doherty got himself a nice red card in one of those against Forest.  

i think doc needs to retrack his statement about just the english league coz its gone around the world as ive just been speaking to my mate in oz and its been on there sports news! o bloody hell!

I was wondering if whoever it was who said he will prove his doubters wrong as he has done in the past could explain what that means?

He was bought to stiffen up a prem lge defence for a million quid, he is now the backbone of our div 3 defence and still looks out of his depth.

Who has he proved wrong. We could not give this bloke away, no other club in the football league would touch him and surprisingly they havent.

I know I posted this elsewhere but just had to reiterate it.It has amazed me on this website just how many people think Gary

Doherty is a decent defender. "Who could we find that''s better" they

say.. "he gives his all", "he''s Norwich through and through". Well so

am I but I''ll never make it as a professional footballer.

This guy is totally and utterly f%$&ing useless and it''s a

disgrace he has been made captain of our fine club. He can''t read the

game, is always out of position, unsettles the team, show no leadership

skills, rarely clears his lines properly and for a former international

striker offers nothing offensively. The guy is undoubtedly the highest earner at the club, has

represented Norwich during 2 relegations bringing us to our lowest

place in 50 years and has now captained the club in their worst ever

home defeat in 107 years.

Anyone who thinks this guy is a decent defender is a complete muppet.

Get rid of this useless liability now.[:@]

Brilliant comment and one I am a hundred per cent in agreement with , the blokes a complete fu*king liability and probably not even good enough for conference football.

I just hope he leaves sooner rather than later !!!!!!!

[quote user="Duffman"][quote user="Nicky F"]

[quote user="Duffman"]Doherty has been  the only consistent member of the team for the last 4 years.

In which time we have been relegated twice and survived relegation another time.

Now I know there are 10 other players out there with him but doesn''t it seem weird that things have gone downhill since he arrived.  

He gives away silly fouls inside and outside the box (was back to his best on Saturday with his octopus arms) and has been sent off on a few occasions for his poor timing in the tackle.    He was skinned by a kid against Man U and made to conceed a pen and then fell to floor when trying to tackle N''Zogbia a week later.   Then he gets turned by Lisbie so easily that he wouldnt have looked out of place in a Sunday league team.

Would anybody care to list his attributes ?  I dare you to.

Spurs fans laughed when we paid a Million pound for Doherty and I bet they haven''t stopped since.  

Don''t give me this bull about Doherty being our most consistent player for the last 2 or 3 years either because lets all be honest for a second, that is nothing to shout about.   I said this last year that if Gary Doherty is our best defender and most consistent then no wonder we are where we find ourselves today.    Worthy, Grant, Roeder and Gunny have all fallen for this guy and look where that got them.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks.

I can''t wait for someone to list his attributes though.   

Come on, someone must have a list of them.

[/quote]

Well admittedly it''s not much of a list but I''ve heard a rumour he makes a good cup of tea and apparently likes to keep his bedroom very tidy. All quiet on defensive attributes however, I''ll keep my ear to the ground

Someone said he was good in the air.

His attacking headers invariably sail harmlessly over the bar and his defensive headers more often than not go straight up in the air and put us under pressure when the eventually fall to earth.

He is rubbish in the air and that is the thing he does best.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]"Who could we find that''s better" they say..[/quote]

Perhaps you''d care to tell us? No-one else has.

[quote]He can''t read the game[/quote]

Yes he can.

[quote]is always out of position[/quote]

No he isn''t.

[quote]unsettles the team[/quote]

No he doesn''t.

[quote]show no leadership skills[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]rarely clears his lines properly[/quote]

Usually clears them pretty adequately.

[quote]and for a former international striker offers nothing offensively.[/quote]

Don''t really disagree, but scored more goals for Norwich than Cureton last year. But yeah he isn''t a striker. 

[quote]The guy is undoubtedly the highest earner at the club[/quote]

Source?

[quote]has represented Norwich during 2 relegations bringing us to our lowest place in 50 years and has now captained the club in their worst ever home defeat in 107 years.[/quote]

Well done Sherlock. Although he wasn''t exactly a big part of the side relegated from the Prem. And he''ll always have to live with being the captain of our record-breaking home defeat. Don''t envy that.

[quote]Anyone who thinks this guy is a decent defender is a complete muppet.[/quote]

Better than being a complete tosser who can''t change the record.

[quote]Get rid of this useless liability now.
[/quote]

If only that was our biggest problem eh? Seriously the criticism he gets is way OTT. I''m sure he''d get into most Champ sides. He shouldn''t be captain yes and he was appalling on Saturday and couldn''t complain if he got dropped. But he''s not a dissimiliar defender to someone like Mackay (minus the leadership qualities); put a Mackay mask on him and no-one would complain then I''m sure. Given that he''s been first-choice defender for four different managers even though plenty of other players have come and gone must say something. Not saying I wouldn''t want him replaced but it''s got to be for someone who''s actually better and who would that be? He''s a steady enough defender who does the basics well and knows his limits, and most of the time does a decent enough job. And I swear some people on here are almost glad he did so badly just so they can tear into him again. Ho hum...

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]"Who could we find that''s better" they say..[/quote]

Perhaps you''d care to tell us? No-one else has.

[quote]He can''t read the game[/quote]

Yes he can.

[quote]is always out of position[/quote]

No he isn''t.

[quote]unsettles the team[/quote]

No he doesn''t.

[quote]show no leadership skills[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]rarely clears his lines properly[/quote]

Usually clears them pretty adequately.

[quote]and for a former international striker offers nothing offensively.[/quote]

Don''t really disagree, but scored more goals for Norwich than Cureton last year. But yeah he isn''t a striker. [quote]The guy is undoubtedly the highest earner at the club[/quote]

Source?

[quote]has represented Norwich during 2 relegations bringing us to our lowest place in 50 years and has now captained the club in their worst ever home defeat in 107 years.[/quote]

Well done Sherlock. Although he wasn''t exactly a big part of the side relegated from the Prem. And he''ll always have to live with being the captain of our record-breaking home defeat. Don''t envy that.[quote]Anyone who thinks this guy is a decent defender is a complete muppet.[/quote]

Better than being a complete tosser who can''t change the record.[quote]Get rid of this useless liability now.[/quote]

If only that was our biggest problem eh? Seriously the criticism he gets is way OTT. I''m sure he''d get into most Champ sides. He shouldn''t be captain yes and he was appalling on Saturday and couldn''t complain if he got dropped. But he''s not a dissimiliar defender to someone like Mackay (minus the leadership qualities); put a Mackay mask on him and no-one would complain then I''m sure. Given that he''s been first-choice defender for four different managers even though plenty of other players have come and gone must say something. Not saying I wouldn''t want him replaced but it''s got to be for someone who''s actually better and who would that be? He''s a steady enough defender who does the basics well and knows his limits, and most of the time does a decent enough job. And I swear some people on here are almost glad he did so badly just so they can tear into him again. Ho hum...

[/quote]Sorry Graham but I won''t change the record until he leaves - thanks for the insult though. This is because he is useless and I despair at people like you who accept players like this at our club. You accept second best and for me that''s not good enough. Each to our own though and you fit in well with the current regime''s attitude for little Norwich.I hope the guy does well and proves me wrong but thought he was useless when we bought him in the Premiership and is just as useless a few years on a 2 divisions lower. 

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]Oh and Graham, you say at the bottom of each message you send "Norwich City Football Club - rewarding failure since 2005."

Gary Doherty is the biggest example of this.

[/quote]

We are hardly rewarding him by keeping him here. More of a punishment at the moment I''d say [;)]

[quote user="Georgie Bless"]

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]Oh and Graham, you say at the bottom of each message you send "Norwich City Football Club - rewarding failure since 2005."

Gary Doherty is the biggest example of this.

[/quote]

We are hardly rewarding him by keeping him here. More of a punishment at the moment I''d say [;)]

[/quote]

Roeder was so close to getting rid of him when he gave D''OH!-erty a deadline to sign the contract offer.  I counted down the days, hoping to read he had been picked up by some other club, but that story never came in.  I wonder why.  He is our best defender, could play for any Championship side, was Player of the Year, is wonderful and fabulous and marvelous, and yet NOBODY ELSE WANTED HIM!

That should have been enough for Roeder to just yank the contract offer all together, but instead, Don''t-hurt-me signed at the last moment when it was obvious nobody else wanted him.

I understand that he does play well often enough, but it is those mindless blunders he keeps making that cancel out all the good will he may have generated.   

Its not just the players that are a laughing stock but also us fans.I turned the mobile off in the evening on Saturday as I was getting too much stick & its not even our fault.The excuse I gave was that we have a rubbish defence one of which got the captaincy who''s main handicap appears to be that he can''t play football & as he''s in a football team,this has its obvious problems.Never thought he was any good & in my opinion is right down there with Robert Rosario with his footballing skills & prowess.Personally I''m really hoping it won''t be too long before he gets the boot as I really think he is the main catalyst of Norwich''s problems,certainly in defence & surely there must be young lads who are worth taking a chance with in this position.With the worst home defeat in Norwich''s history now under his belt ANYONE surely can''t do any worse than Gary Doherty!

[quote user="fire3822"]Its not just the players that are a laughing stock but also us fans.I turned the mobile off in the evening on Saturday as I was getting too much stick & its not even our fault.The excuse I gave was that we have a rubbish defence one of which got the captaincy who''s main handicap appears to be that he can''t play football & as he''s in a football team,this has its obvious problems.Never thought he was any good & in my opinion is right down there with Robert Rosario with his footballing skills & prowess.Personally I''m really hoping it won''t be too long before he gets the boot as I really think he is the main catalyst of Norwich''s problems,certainly in defence & surely there must be young lads who are worth taking a chance with in this position.With the worst home defeat in Norwich''s history now under his belt ANYONE surely can''t do any worse than Gary Doherty! [/quote]I couldn''t agree more, the guy is a static liability.  God knows how we get rid.  No bu88er wants him.[:''(]