Sign in to follow this  
matt crowhurst

Doc and Askou

After having many arguments the last few months about Doc and people saying we will never have another clean sheet with him in the team esp earlier today its nice to see that he had a steady game tonight. Is this the correct partnership though as Adams said askou looked really solid with hardly many mistakes whilst pete said askou looked awful

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]After having many arguments the last few months about Doc and people saying we will never have another clean sheet with him in the team esp earlier today its nice to see that he had a steady game tonight. Is this the correct partnership though as Adams said askou looked really solid with hardly many mistakes whilst pete said askou looked awful
[/quote]

I asked Pete about this in messages but he never answered............. he even gave one great clearence to the Doc when commentary said it was Askou..............

I don''t think Pete likes Askou............

Pete also said Doherty looked awful most of the day. Lucky for him there was not much threat from Yeovil.  Both CB looked bad and both need to be replaced by players with confidence, desire and skill. Main difference today in back was goalie was not a numpty.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Pete also said Doherty looked awful most of the day. Lucky for him there was not much threat from Yeovil.  Both CB looked bad and both need to be replaced by players with confidence, desire and skill. Main difference today in back was goalie was not a numpty.[/quote]

Yes but to be fair the keeper didnt have much to do.......... which means we are defending better as a team..........

Yes. Defensive blunders came only from the middle tonight, not all across the field, and there were fewer of them.  While he had less to do, when he did do it, he seemed to do it well most times.  I got the impression he was distributing the ball VERY well.

I''ve always maintained Gary Doherty is solid when he has someone reliable at the side of him. It''s an old cliche that people only play as well as their opposition, but Doherty only ever plays as well as the person next to him is. If you recalled when we had Tiny playing along side him he looked solid. Last season when Shackell first came in, he looked solid. When he was along side Kennedy, he looked solid. However as soon as the person along side him makes mistakes he gets nervous and makes mistakes as well. Against Colchester I thought Nelson was truly shocking, and as a consequence, so was the Doc. However by the sounds of it Askou had a good game, therefore the Doc was more assured, and also played well. This was also proved against Palace pre-season. And the result? Clean sheets both times.

Hopefully the clean sheet with give them the confidence they all need and we''ll see a much steadier performance at Exeter

[quote user="Wes Hoolahanraha-hanrahan"]I''ve always maintained Gary Doherty is solid when he has someone reliable at the side of him. It''s an old cliche that people only play as well as their opposition, but Doherty only ever plays as well as the person next to him is. If you recalled when we had Tiny playing along side him he looked solid. Last season when Shackell first came in, he looked solid. When he was along side Kennedy, he looked solid. However as soon as the person along side him makes mistakes he gets nervous and makes mistakes as well. Against Colchester I thought Nelson was truly shocking, and as a consequence, so was the Doc. However by the sounds of it Askou had a good game, therefore the Doc was more assured, and also played well. This was also proved against Palace pre-season. And the result? Clean sheets both times.[/quote]

That''s the sort of captain we need where other players have to inspire him to play well. Awesome!

Credit where credit due, Doc "sounded" as i didnt see the performance like he did alright.Still need a better player, hes not reliable and hes a donkey.Spilane showed a lot of promise though, should keep his place vs Exeter

The Doc was a good defender at Championship level and I expect he''ll show himself to be a good defender in League One.

Looking forward to seeing Askou.

And even though I''ve never really rated Spillane I hope he can make the grade and do a good job for us at right back.

Be surprised if we don''t see the same back 4 for the next couple of games.

I''m also confused with the "Askou is having a shocker" and the "Askou was fantastic tonight" opinions... I guess we have to trust Adam''s judgement over others being a former pro footballer.

Also looking at the match stats, Yeovil had just 5 shots all game with just two being on target (from official site). A home side should be having more than two shots on target and Yeovil didn''t sound all that poor when attacking so it surely has to go down to the defenders doing their jobs effectively.

Opinion over Askou was split in the press box - most of us felt he had a shaky first half - which he did - won nothing in the air and looked nervous at the back but, like the rest of the team, grew in confidence in the second half. Only time will tell.