Sign in to follow this  
Desert Fox

Yeovil - just back from the match

I live in Bristol and went to tonights game. Good early start... dominated first 5 minutes or so, then went flat until half time. Second half was like a different team. Spurs loanee keeper was solid and held onto the ball well. Whalley seemed lively. Cody was excellent and very unlucky not to score. Holt won everything in the air, had three chances at goal and scored three times. The Dane looks fantastic in his number 33 shirt. Nice to see a half decent Drury back in a city shirt. Good Norwich turn out 400-600 odd from the look of it. Not sure what happened to Yeovil tbh. How Cody didnt score tonight is beyond me... soo good, and I think it was him who hit the bar. Brilliant 2nd half. Oh and Hughes looks handy too!

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]

I think we should go for

Alnwick

Spillane       Askou            Doherty         Drury

Mcveigh     Hughes           Tudur Jones   Hoolahan

Macdonald     Holt

[/quote]

What about Hughes on the right and Tom in the middle.........

I have a feeling that OTJ might have to be on the subs bench.

Baring injuries I think Gunn will stick with the same team that played well in the 2nd half. (ie Hughes for the injured Gill)

I think we should go for

Alnwick

Macdonald     Holt

[/quote]Im actually pretty eager to see Paul McSmall wearing the Green and Yellow again, think it would maybe be a good choice to swap him out for Whalley.Think his work ethic could be a good asset to Cody Mac and Holt

I think we should go for

Alnwick

Macdonald     Holt

[/quote]

yep, my lineup too.

Nexus,

Put it this way, having seen Whaley play in the flesh tonight, I can see why Preston fans were not upset at his departure and many of their comments about him appear to ring true for me already.

problem with Adeyemi is the over exposure.He is not the finished article and you dont want him relaxing into the first team or worse getting a nasty whack resulting in injury from some  pub team thumper of a CB.There is no question that he wants to be on that pitch though ( just watch the replay from sky and his reaction to that peno being given )I think at the moment Gill is injured and OTJ fitness will be an issue, If OTJ is unfit then Adeyemi starts or fills in at the 60 or w/e minute mark.Saying that though over exposure is something to worry about later on rather than now, maybe when we need this rush of confidence Adeyemi is the perfect player.We will just have to wait and see what Fester & the Adams Family decide on !

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

Nexus,

Put it this way, having seen Whaley play in the flesh tonight, I can see why Preston fans were not upset at his departure and many of their comments about him appear to ring true for me already.

[/quote]Yeh i saw him on Saturday, in all honesty only people to leave after the 7-1 with any ounce of achivement were Cody Mac and Holt.Whalley looked to be more concerned with telling Semi to over lap while he cut inside than anything else.Dunno if this reflects on Whalley or Semi or both being crappy !

I agree with Adeyemi comments, you don`t want him playing too much just drift him in ant out the team for a few months.

I wouldn`t mind seeing Mcveigh at right midfielder, I still think Whaley can be a good signing though just needs to bear himself in the team a little bit.

I am looking forward to seeing Spillane keep his place I remember seeing his debut in the old Worthington days, long time ago that "/

I thought Whaley did alright tonight, but I seem to be the only one.[quote user="YellowLittle1"]

I wouldn`t mind seeing Mcveigh at right midfielder, I still think Whaley can be a good signing though just needs to bear himself in the team a little bit.

[/quote]

Agreed, on Spillane think hes proven himself worthy of a extended run in the first team.I think McVeigh needs to either start or get subbed on for Whalley at Exeter cos thus far Whalley hasnt quite settled in. Again, i get the impression McVeigh wants to be here so with him Holt and Cody Mac all putting in the effort we will at least get teh chances.

Thanks for the report Desert Fox.We certainly sounded more in control after Hughes came on. Just relieved for the team that we kept a clean sheet after Saturday - that must give them a boost for the weekend. Hope so, because they''re going to need it. Exeter losing 5-0 to QPR will give them something to prove too.

Another Bristol based canary at the game last night. Gonna have to disagree with the Whalley criticism. I didn''t think he was a world beater but carried out that role last night very well. More defensive minded than Hooly but got forward, passed well and crossed better than a certain Mr Croft too.

Whaley sounds like he may be a bit hit and miss but played well on the right in the friendly at palace so to drop him after one indifferent game would be harsh if you ask me.

I disagree regarding Adeyemi. I don''t think he should be dropped just because we don''t want to over-expose him. If the lad is one of our best 2 central midfielders then I think he should start as much as possible. I would go with him and Hughes on Saturday and maybe then go a bit more defnsive for Brentford on Tuesday who i think are a better team. Good performances need to be rewarded and OTJ should not just be able to walk back into the team.

For an alternative (& perhaps amusing?) take on the game, try this:http://www.prideofsomerset.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=437:yeovil-0-4-norwich-report&catid=1:latest&Itemid=4Hope it works !

I think we should go for

Alnwick

Macdonald     Holt

[/quote]I agree entirely with that... if, as people say, Whalley looks like he might need time to settle, then why not give his spot to someone who''s very much settled in the area in McVeigh.  I''d fancy that team for a win against Exeter...

Some more interesting comments from Yeovil fans on the Ciderspace website:

“I think disintegrates is a strong word... we lost our shape, and a very, very good looking Norwich team took full advantage. Sure we weren''t great, but we''ve played bad before at HP, and not been taking apart that badly. If they don''t go straight back up, I''ll eat my hat.”

“With all that said, Norwich are never ever going to be the whipping boys Saturday''s result suggested... tonight just reaffirmed my belief they will go straight back up. Well worthy of the 4-0 scoreline.”

“Don’t think we played as well as we did against Tranmere, but saying that, Norwich were extremely good yesterday I think. Extremely quick in closing us down, didn''t give us time on the ball, I for one am still optimistic though.”

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Chris Goreham was salivating over Alnwicks kicking on the radio, saying they were long and direct ?!

[/quote]Think it was Neil Adams. He commented on the accuracy of his kick outs. Usually I prefer to see us build from the back - so often it''s 50:50 whether we regain possession from a long kick but if Alnwick can deliver the ball where it''s needed then at least it''s a bit removed from the big hoof.

Mick Dennis report

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=4818

I agree with everything he said about the match itself.

[/quote]Mick Dennis: "Holt is the first genuinely effective target man we''ve had since Iwan,

but whereas our Welsh icon was tall and sinewy, Holt is as bulky as a

wardrobe."
Interesting comment. Holt certainly seemed overweight to me on Saturday and I''m delighted he''s proven he can deliver even so. And I recall that Iwan was also considered overweight and unfit when he arrived at Norwich too....Wonder if we''ll see a gradual change in Holt''s physique.

What happened to - ''If they''re old enough; They''re good enough''?

Why is everybody leaving Adeyemi out of the team? From what I can see he is proving to be an excellent player and should be straight in. If he is good enough, he does not, and should not, need to be a bit-part player.

Shaun,

I did not say leave him out of the team, but rather he should not be overplayed this season as he is still devloping. Although he played well last night he needs to grow in confidence coming forward and running with the ball.

He is clearly going to be a class player and I think he will be in the prem within three years, especially as he fills out. He is going to be huge one day and reminds me of Patrick Viera.

Exactly. He is still only 17 so we have to be careful to avoid burning him out but having said that, I don''t think playing on Saturday is going to do him any harm.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Agree with not over exposing Adeyemi, also same with Spilane... need to ease them not relly on them
[/quote]

So they have a good game and then you drop them? That''ll do the lads confidence the world of good.  They are proffesional footballers no matter what age and should be treated as such.  A good run in the team, if they are playing well, can only help them to mature and become better, more confident players. Don''t mollycoddle them, it will do more harm than good.

What a game of two halves.

In the first half both sides were poor. We were trying to pass the ball too quickly and not keep hold of possession, but equally although Yeovil were marginally the better side, they carried little threat.

The second half was a revelation. From the outset we looked a lot sharper. The key was that Hoolihan was keeping possession and looking threatening and Holt was winning everything in the air – something he didn’t do in the first half. After the penalty the confidence in the team visibly improved by the minute. We could have won by six or seven.

Major plus points:

1. Spillane clearly needs to be our first choice right back. He has physicality and gets forward with decent pace. End of contest unless Fester is stupid enough to drop him.

1. Holt will score plenty of goals in this division. Although Yeovil were poor and stood off him too much, he knows where the goal is and his hat trick goal was classy.

1. McDonald will also score plenty of goals. He has real pace combined with a work ethic. He assisted Holts first goal, hit the bar and missed a one and one. With better composure, he will net regularly.

1. Holt and McDonald clearly have a real understanding with each other and have to be our first choice strike force barring injury. Importantly both work their socks off and harry the opposition back four and look hungry.

1. Askou is real class and he makes Docherty look better. He brough real confidence to the back four and again must be first choice pick ahead of Docherty and Nelson

1. Alnwick looked very comfortable and made several good saves, although I would liked him to be more vocal – if he keeps this up is difficult to see Theo returning.

1. Adyemi still looks raw and is clearly going to be a class player, but still needs to develop his confidence – I would suggest that he is belnded in and not overplayed.

1. Hughes came on for Gill (who did quite well defensively in midfield) and immediately the team looked more comfortable in possession and less rushed. I think he will take some pressure off Hoolihan in terms of creativity.

1. Gunn is learning to use substitutes.

1. Drury looks a much better player with a more solid back four.

11.  Maric looks very physical and reminds of Dean Ashton in build. He didnt have lomg to impress, but thank god we now have cover for Holt in the big centre half department.

Some downsides:

1. Whaley looks shakey. Although he made a goal for Holt with a peach of a cross, he looks like a headless chicken at times and does not look an attacking threat. Worryingly, he does not look to have real pace or the ability to beat his man.

2. Hoolihan drits inside a lot and this will expose our left back a lot this season. With Whaley looking dubious this season, we will struggle against sides with pacy wingers.

3. We are very dependent upon Hoolihan for creativity (much like Hucks) and will struggle to make use of possession when he is absent. Hughes may vill this void, but we look much mre threatening with him playing in the hole rather than the wing.

4. I think playing too defensive midned central midfileders may stifle our creativity and I would hope that Hughes can command a starting place, even if this means we ship a few goals.

Overall

Very encouraging bet lets not get carried away. Yeovil carried liitle threat and we wont know where we sit until we play a few of the better teams, but on tonights performance we look top six material. My main concern is keeping Hoolihan fit for 46 matches as he takes a lot fo kicks and we look very ordinary without him. But with better solidity at the back and a twin goal scoring threat, things are looking up - especially if we can keep a settled side.

[/quote]

Great Post [Y]

[quote user="Scooby"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Agree with not over exposing Adeyemi, also same with Spilane... need to ease them not relly on them
[/quote]

So they have a good game and then you drop them? That''ll do the lads confidence the world of good.  They are proffesional footballers no matter what age and should be treated as such.  A good run in the team, if they are playing well, can only help them to mature and become better, more confident players. Don''t mollycoddle them, it will do more harm than good.

[/quote]

That''s what I meant. He should be treated the same as any other player. He should play from now until until his form drops and deserves to be dropped - just like any other player in our squad.

Great opening post DF. I was at the game too and totally concur with your views but could never have written it so well. It''s informative for those who couldn''t be there and much more worth while than Canary Call[:O] If you go away regularly would you be able to do this again?

I agree not to get carried away but I also think the performance merits renewed optimism. Carling Cup or not it''s a long time since we won away comfortably like that. Far more conclusive than the wins at Torquay or Rotherham a few seasons ago.

Are you going to Exeter? I am and am hoping for more of the same[Y]

Nutty,

Unfortunately I cant make Exeter. I run my own business and stay away most of the week and at weekends I have spen time with a young family. So I am hoping to make as many of the midweek/holiday period games as possible.