Sign in to follow this  
Desert Fox

Yeovil - just back from the match

What a game of two halves.

In the first half both sides were poor. We were trying to pass the ball too quickly and not keep hold of possession, but equally although Yeovil were marginally the better side, they carried little threat.

The second half was a revelation. From the outset we looked a lot sharper. The key was that Hoolihan was keeping possession and looking threatening and Holt was winning everything in the air – something he didn’t do in the first half. After the penalty the confidence in the team visibly improved by the minute. We could have won by six or seven.

Major plus points:

1. Spillane clearly needs to be our first choice right back. He has physicality and gets forward with decent pace. End of contest unless Fester is stupid enough to drop him.

1. Holt will score plenty of goals in this division. Although Yeovil were poor and stood off him too much, he knows where the goal is and his hat trick goal was classy.

1. McDonald will also score plenty of goals. He has real pace combined with a work ethic. He assisted Holts first goal, hit the bar and missed a one and one. With better composure, he will net regularly.

1. Holt and McDonald clearly have a real understanding with each other and have to be our first choice strike force barring injury. Importantly both work their socks off and harry the opposition back four and look hungry.

1. Askou is real class and he makes Docherty look better. He brough real confidence to the back four and again must be first choice pick ahead of Docherty and Nelson

1. Alnwick looked very comfortable and made several good saves, although I would liked him to be more vocal – if he keeps this up is difficult to see Theo returning.

1. Adyemi still looks raw and is clearly going to be a class player, but still needs to develop his confidence – I would suggest that he is belnded in and not overplayed.

1. Hughes came on for Gill (who did quite well defensively in midfield) and immediately the team looked more comfortable in possession and less rushed. I think he will take some pressure off Hoolihan in terms of creativity.

1. Gunn is learning to use substitutes.

1. Drury looks a much better player with a more solid back four.

11.  Maric looks very physical and reminds of Dean Ashton in build. He didnt have lomg to impress, but thank god we now have cover for Holt in the big centre half department.

Some downsides:

1. Whaley looks shakey. Although he made a goal for Holt with a peach of a cross, he looks like a headless chicken at times and does not look an attacking threat. Worryingly, he does not look to have real pace or the ability to beat his man.
  2. Hoolihan drits inside a lot and this will expose our left back a lot this season. With Whaley looking dubious this season, we will struggle against sides with pacy wingers.
  3. We are very dependent upon Hoolihan for creativity (much like Hucks) and will struggle to make use of possession when he is absent. Hughes may vill this void, but we look much mre threatening with him playing in the hole rather than the wing.
  4. I think playing too defensive midned central midfileders may stifle our creativity and I would hope that Hughes can command a starting place, even if this means we ship a few goals.

Overall

Very encouraging bet lets not get carried away. Yeovil carried liitle threat and we wont know where we sit until we play a few of the better teams, but on tonights performance we look top six material. My main concern is keeping Hoolihan fit for 46 matches as he takes a lot fo kicks and we look very ordinary without him. But with better solidity at the back and a twin goal scoring threat, things are looking up - especially if we can keep a settled side.

Nice one mate !Been wanting a good review of the game, can you give us a XI player rating with a bit of a break down ?Saw Sports desk Petes but his was done in under 1 min.From the commentary ( i was watching it on here and listening to the radio ) Adams liked Askou, SDP didntGlad you seemed to say Whalley was not to good, seemed on Saturday he was shouting at Semi a lot to cut onto his runs etc and seemed very focused on what HE was gonna do rather than what the team was gonna do.

Great analysis :) Thanks for the insight! Another person saying Askou was class... makes me wonder if Pete was watching the same game after saying he was having a howler!

I was out tonight so didn''t get to listen - so just wanted to know who was actually brought on for who and at what times?

Was just tryin to write pretty much the same myself but have had a few ciders :)

For me Hughes changed the game big time, so comfortable on the ball and took the presure of other players and gave them the chance to play (wes) Holt was very good tonight and looked so strong, Whaley needs to be shown where his wing is cos the idiot didn''t run down it once

Game of two halfs big time!

And the pink un ratings are way off

Yeh getting worried about Whalley, cant judge anything from the 7-1 really truely... but... he seemed inefective there and didnt seem in the thick from the match commentary today.Pete didnt seem to rate Askou but 2 people saying hes good... hmmmm want to see more.

Pete atributed a shot block in the 2nd half on Doc, Neil Adams clearly said Askou...who was it ??

Can you give us a whole team match ratings break down anyone who was at the game ??

Subs were : Hughes - Gill around the 50 -60 ( i think )                  Maric - Cody Mac around 80 - 85

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Can you give us a whole team match ratings break down anyone who was at the game ??

Subs were : Hughes - Gill around the 50 -60 ( i think )
                  Maric - Cody Mac around 80 - 85
[/quote]

So only 2 ... again? That worries me ...

Nexus,

Ratings are not my cup of tea really but hear goes:

Alnwick 7 - looked comfortable and confident but needs to shout more

Spillane 8 - He has filled out and looks very solid and provides an attacking threat.

Askou - 8 He looks classy and more importantly after the first ten minutes, he managed to bring more confidence out of the doc. Pete cant have been at the same match as me.

Docherty 7 - Did nothing wrong really apart from a few precarious slices in the penalty area. However, he still holds too much and gives away too many free kicks - meaning suspensions

Drury 7- Had a quite game and still feeling hsi way back, but made some good interceptions

Whaley 6 - He created Holts first goal, but I am far from convinced and I think he not a first 11 regular in my opinion, but he may need time to settle

Adyemi 7 - He created a goal for Holt, and looks like he is going to be a prem player at some stage, but for me lacked the confidence to get foward more, ne his better than a simple defensive midfield player and needs to be given time to devlop. I would worry about over playing him at the momemnt.

Gill - 7 Made some really good tackles, but did not offer much going forward and now looks injured

Hoolihan - 9 Without him we would have been playing hoofball

Hughes - 8 I was impressed with him and the first time since Mulryne or Crooky, we look to have a player with composure and the ability to pass well.

McDonald - 9 A real handful all night with abhuge work ethic and pace. The only negative is that he is so hungry to score that he sometimes lacked composure, but this will come with an extended run in the side

Holt 9 - A real handful phsyicaly and won everything in the air in the second half. He has a real work ethic and undertstanding with Cody. Lets hope he can last the season as he throws himself about. At least we have a back up in Maric.

Lappin and Maric did have long enough to shine, but I like what I saw of Maric, he is a srong player.

Lets hope that Fester does not get over confident and realises that he has the nucleus of a regular first 11 here, with the possible exception of Whaley and for reasons I have outlined above, Adyemi. I would like to see Hughes start the next match.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Can you give us a whole team match ratings break down anyone who was at the game ??

[/quote]

Lappin came on for Drury around the 70 minute mark

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

Subs were : Hughes - Gill around the 50 -60 ( i think )                  Maric - Cody Mac around 80 - 85[/quote]

[/quote]That''s not quite right: didn''t Lappin come on for Eileen? And why should it worry you if he only used 2 subs anyway, Shaun? Just because you''ve got six bullets in a gun, you don''t have to use ''em all to kill a man. 

[quote user="Hackney Canary"][quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s not quite right: didn''t Lappin come on for Eileen?

And why should it worry you if he only used 2 subs anyway, Shaun? Just because you''ve got six bullets in a gun, you don''t have to use ''em all to kill a man. 
[/quote]

It wouldn''t have done - if it wasn''t a recurring thing. He even only used 2 substitutes on saturday. I think one of his problems is his reluctance to use substitutes. Anyway, doesn''t matter if Lappin came on [Y]

[quote user="Hackney Canary"][quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s not quite right: didn''t Lappin come on for Eileen?

And why should it worry you if he only used 2 subs anyway, Shaun? Just because you''ve got six bullets in a gun, you don''t have to use ''em all to kill a man. 
[/quote]

Hackney,

You are quite right, but really worries me is that Fester may get over confident. He has stumbled upon what looks like a decent first 11 minus Whaley. What worries me most is that he will tinker with squad rotation rather than trying to devlop some momemtum with a regular starting 11. Lets hope I am wrong.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

Ratings are not my cup of tea really but hear goes:

[/quote]Nah those were top notch, thanks for them :)Intersting to see about Whalley, Hughes, Gill and AskouSome people already saying Gill was pants but seems like he wasnt to bad, my mates an Exeter fan and was furious we had stolen him on a free, doesnt say a lot at this level but he is a walking footy Stato and normally has a good judgement of playersThink Holt / Cody strike combo is a no-brainer for the next couple of games

Is this a worry?

A lot of people saying Whaley played like a headless chicken apart from one nice cross.

So would you play Paul McSmall there? Is Korey Smith back from injury? Would you play Stephen Hughes out there?

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Is this a worry?

A lot of people saying Whaley played like a headless chicken apart from one nice cross.

So would you play Paul McSmall there? Is Korey Smith back from injury? Would you play Stephen Hughes out there?[/quote]Im interested to see how McSmall is going to fair on his return, he certainly works hard and it would be nice to see what hes got to offer.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

What a game of two halves.

In the first half both sides were poor. We were trying to pass the ball too quickly and not keep hold of possession, but equally although Yeovil were marginally the better side, they carried little threat.

The second half was a revelation. From the outset we looked a lot sharper. The key was that Hoolihan was keeping possession and looking threatening and Holt was winning everything in the air – something he didn’t do in the first half. After the penalty the confidence in the team visibly improved by the minute. We could have won by six or seven.

Major plus points:

1. Spillane clearly needs to be our first choice right back. He has physicality and gets forward with decent pace. End of contest unless Fester is stupid enough to drop him.

1. Holt will score plenty of goals in this division. Although Yeovil were poor and stood off him too much, he knows where the goal is and his hat trick goal was classy.

1. McDonald will also score plenty of goals. He has real pace combined with a work ethic. He assisted Holts first goal, hit the bar and missed a one and one. With better composure, he will net regularly.

1. Holt and McDonald clearly have a real understanding with each other and have to be our first choice strike force barring injury. Importantly both work their socks off and harry the opposition back four and look hungry.

1. Askou is real class and he makes Docherty look better. He brough real confidence to the back four and again must be first choice pick ahead of Docherty and Nelson

1. Alnwick looked very comfortable and made several good saves, although I would liked him to be more vocal – if he keeps this up is difficult to see Theo returning.

1. Adyemi still looks raw and is clearly going to be a class player, but still needs to develop his confidence – I would suggest that he is belnded in and not overplayed.

1. Hughes came on for Gill (who did quite well defensively in midfield) and immediately the team looked more comfortable in possession and less rushed. I think he will take some pressure off Hoolihan in terms of creativity.

1. Gunn is learning to use substitutes.

1. Drury looks a much better player with a more solid back four.

11.  Maric looks very physical and reminds of Dean Ashton in build. He didnt have lomg to impress, but thank god we now have cover for Holt in the big centre half department.

Some downsides:

1. Whaley looks shakey. Although he made a goal for Holt with a peach of a cross, he looks like a headless chicken at times and does not look an attacking threat. Worryingly, he does not look to have real pace or the ability to beat his man.
  2. Hoolihan drits inside a lot and this will expose our left back a lot this season. With Whaley looking dubious this season, we will struggle against sides with pacy wingers.
  3. We are very dependent upon Hoolihan for creativity (much like Hucks) and will struggle to make use of possession when he is absent. Hughes may vill this void, but we look much mre threatening with him playing in the hole rather than the wing.
  4. I think playing too defensive midned central midfileders may stifle our creativity and I would hope that Hughes can command a starting place, even if this means we ship a few goals.

Overall

Very encouraging bet lets not get carried away. Yeovil carried liitle threat and we wont know where we sit until we play a few of the better teams, but on tonights performance we look top six material. My main concern is keeping Hoolihan fit for 46 matches as he takes a lot fo kicks and we look very ordinary without him. But with better solidity at the back and a twin goal scoring threat, things are looking up - especially if we can keep a settled side.

[/quote]

Yep, as I stressed all close season, there''s not enough pace and creativity in the squad and Hoolahan is going to be found out everytime by better teams than Yeovil - the same way as Huckerby was found out with the exact kind of game-play (a winger constantly cutting inside) a couple of seasons back.The squad seriously needs the option of out & out wingers or else it will flounder.

Was defo Askou for the block, they look very similar and even a few were sayin well done Doc

My ratings

Alnwick 6 - looked strong and made some good saves but judged one cross wrong and his kicking wasn''t that good

Spillane 6 - strong but is he really a rb? not the most mobile

Doc 5 - all over the attackers and could have given way more fouls away, i''ve always liked the Doc but he was poor and slow

Askou 7 - Better of the two and made some good challenges, but looked tired, not 100%

Drury 6 - got forward well but he also looks slow and his crossing aint up to much (nothin new)

Whaley 5 - is this bloke a winger? cos he seems to want to play everywhere else but there which is not a bad thing going forward but against better teams will leave the rb getting raped

Gill 5 - made a couple of good challenges when needed but looks scared to have the ball and with one touch missplaced passing and not bein able to head a ball, out of his depth

Adeyemi 7 - strong but still not the finished article, trys hard and looked twice the player of Gill

Hoolahan 7 - would have been an 8 but cant kick a ball with his right foot when he had good chances to shoot (whats that all about?) quality tho, but still lightweight and not much pace

Cody 7 - worked hard all game and looked so much better after the first goal, pressure lifted? also need to stop asking Gunn where to be, he needs to work that out, age and experience again!

Holt 9 - strong as a Bull, good in the air and what a finish, worked his ass off from the start and deserved his hatrick

we still looked very narrow and against better team this could be a very big problem

subs

Hughes for Gill 51mins 8 - changed the game for me, held the ball and gave other players chance to play, just what a cm should do, should start sat

Lappin for Drury 68mins 6 - solid but not really tested

Maric for Cody 85mins 6 - no time but had a good run and looks bulk, not sure him and holt would be idea together tho

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]

[/quote]They don''t have to make 3 subs, especially if your team is all over the oposition and a couple of goals up.  But didn''t Lappin also come on for Drury

Nexus,

With Hoolihan in the side, it is critical that we have a solid defensive midfielder who does the clearing up. Gill is not a flaior player, but made some really important tackles tonight. My worry is that a CM pairing of Gill and Tudur-Jones is way too defensive and this will stifle our creativity. For me Hughes did enough tonight to warrant a run in the team. We are not going to get out of this league playing hoofball and we now have not one but two strikers who are hungry and on fire, if we can keep them supplied we will score plenty of goals which may compensate for some defensive frailty, but with Spillane and Askou in the side, we have quite a big back four.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Is this a worry?

So would you play Paul McSmall there? Is Korey Smith back from injury? Would you play Stephen Hughes out there?
[/quote]

No Hughes must be played in the middle.

I think Spillane has got what it takes. He has really filled out and with a season at Luton under his belt should be ready as long as the fans forgive him the odd mistake - he is miles better that Semi defensively and looks to be quite useful going forward too. He hit a belter of a shot in an otherwise dull first half.

Chris Goreham was salivating over Alnwicks kicking on the radio, saying they were long and direct ?!So we saying the team vs Exeter should be :AlnwickSpilaine Doc Askou DruryHoolhan OTJ Hughes WhalleyHolt Cody Mac

Think thats maybe our stringest set up as of now regarding confidence and form.Notes for Exeter game =*    OTJ on international tonight  will this be a + or - for Saturday ? will he be tired or wanting to kick ass after being ripped by international team mates for the 7-1*     Gill   - Seems injured... but Exeter are his team they will either block him or he will score a hatrick vs his former team*     Adeyemi deserves to play but again dont want to put pressure on him or burn him out*     Whalley for Paul McSmall ?? Who else*     Wiggins or Lappin to cover for an injured Drury ?*     Doc. with Stef being frozen out and Nelson Doc Mk II we really need a pacey defender

I''d go with that but think we need to look for a new wide man, Whaley is defo not it! we looked narrow even when 3 up, a better team would have scored a few before us tonight and the heads would have dropped, we only started playing after the first goal. 4-0 flattered us tonight, hope everyone doesn''t start gettin carried away again

yeh thats my worry , people will say "we''re gorn ta git auto promowshon goo''ol Gunny"Kinda bad to say but....if we had lost today Fester would have one foot out of the door for sure  :(The win tonight just might be delaying the inevitable !I really hope im proven wrong and this time next year we already have 3 points to our name in the Championship

I think we should go for

Alnwick

Spillane       Askou            Doherty         Drury

Mcveigh     Hughes           Tudur Jones   Hoolahan

Macdonald     Holt