Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

The last thing we need this season is a cup run

Agreed ! I thought the key to our success last year was being able to concentrate on the one competition. It may decide our survival this year.

Clubs bogged down with Cup competitions tend to fall away from their high league positions at the latter part of the season. e:g Millwall , Sunderland and Sheff Utd.

I also noted that Joe Royle did not give a convincing display of disappointment about his teams'' humiliation over last nights defeat .  He may be learning from us.

Yes Mr. Fool I agree with you, but I rather think it will be You and Me v The Rest !

On behalf of The Rest, Messrs. Fool and Jim, if being "bogged down" in a cup run is going to mean that we will "fall away from our high league position", then it''s a good job that we''re only in 17th place and may be able to take some much needed confidence and hope from a run in the Carling Cup in the "latter part of the season"!!

Then again, who needs the Mickey Mouse cup anyway?  Roll on the FA Cup in January, that''s what I say.  Let''s keep our minds on the 10 league games ahead that will, quite simply, make or break this season.

To be honest, with the fewer games played in the Prem, a run in both cups would''nt hurt us at all. In fact, as we proved last year, having games thick and fast is great news when you find your best team and put on a run.

It would have been nice to see an experimental team last night, but I see it as another 90 minutes of practice with the 1st choice team. Working together is incredibly hard at Prem level, hence our calls for Leon (which I have to agree with), Jonson etc. But I think the solution is to change one or two players at a time, which Worthy did last night.

I want success now to make the season easier rather than a late scramble, but I am mighty relieived to see that we defend as a whole and thats now 3 clean sheets. Goals will come with understanding. If we put Leon etc. in now and go backwards, then that shoots the confidence of the new players and the ones who were replaced. This may be the slower way, but it will work.

Looking good to be honest and how proud am I that the new players like Jonson are prepared to work and wait for their chance, unlike Mr Diouf! How much better will it be for him when he breaks through properly, rather than just a change to try and shake things up?

I think it depends on the side we put out really. To be honest I was disappointed with how we lined up last night. I take the point of wanting to play your strongest team, but for my mind playing a few more of the squad members from the start would have produced a better performance because they would have been more committed as they have a point to prove. We do have enough decent players to warrant putting say 5 different ones in for cup games (unlike the Div One teams you mentioned) and I think it would help everyone if we did so. I suppose from Worthy''s viewpoint he wanted to let the players get a bit more used to the diamond formation last night (any formation which finds Holt on the left wing is wrong in my book, and no wonder Damo had an average game last night - after four games when he was our best player, he has now been shunted to a role which doesn''t suit him at all).

So if we played a few of the squad members (why didn''t Ward get 90 minutes of competitive footy?) it would be fine. The only problem with a cup run is injuries and tiredness, which would be negated if we played more squad members. A team made up of the likes of Brennan, Shack, Macca, Svenny, Jonson, Mullers and Leon when fit, Jarv and Hendo, Ward would be good enough to beat most non-Prem teams in my opinion anyway. I don''t think a cup run would be bad for us because we could do with winning a few games to raise the confidence around the club. Most specifically, a couple of bigger games (possibly another Sky match as well) would bring in a bit more money on top of the standard minimum income which we budget for (eg going out in the first round of participation in both cups) which all helps when January comes around.

[quote]On behalf of The Rest, Messrs. Fool and Jim, if being "bogged down" in a cup run is going to mean that we will "fall away from our high league position", then it''s a good job that we''re only in 17th p...[/quote]

best case of arguing-with-yourself I have ever seen !

I understand all the points about the value of being out of the cups, but I can''t help but want City to carry on in the Carling Cup. Imagine a Cup final!

I think it''s a shame so many teams don''t value the cups anymore - all this stuff about teams getting tired is for amateurs! Years ago, in the days of replays and no substitutions no-one wanted to get knocked out of the cups regardless of fatigue. Modern football is all about feigning injury, whinging and haircuts (bentley, hucks, brennan there''s nothing wrong with an honest short back and sides and a dollop of brylcream)

Fans invest time and money into the club and as such they deserve a commitment to the cups. Fairplay to Worthy.

Call me controversial but I thought as supporters we are meant to support the team? If we had have gone out of the cup last night, people would be saying ''how can we possibly beat Premiership teams if we cant beat Bristol''.Now its a distraction from our main... job ...of... playing.. football...Outrageous!You cant please all of the people all of the time.On the ball City, well done lads.

I can see the pros and cons of having a little old cup run (or two!), but I noted with interest that in a tv interview Worthy referred to the benefit of the extra revenue and the opportunity that might provide him with in the January window. 

Let''s hope for a home draw in the next round then and see if we can get an even bigger crowd than last night as I think the ''striker pot'' might be the intended destination of the extra money.

I say let''s throw caution to the wind and see how far we can go. A good cup run isn''t going to do any damage since there are less games in the Premiership than Division One, plus when you''re winning, even if it be against teams like Bristol Rovers, it can only add to the team''s confidence.

Out of the 3 season''s Worthy''s been in charge we have got to one final and won a championship. Bringing the league cup home sounds like a plan to me...

I can see why you say that a cup run would divert attention from the league, but I am gagging for a good run in the cup after almost nothing in either this or the FA Cup for a long time. Last year against Southampton was terrific but its 12 years since we got to a semi final and nearly 20 since a real final (I don''t count the play off, but surely a repeat of those scenes in either cup would be a tantalising prospect?)

If we do well it will breed confidence and get the team playing together as well as giving us the chance to blood the odd squad member (though I agree with other posters that last night was a bit disappointing in that respect).

When things are going well they just want to go out and play football- a cup run will give a good release of tension for what is going to be a tough battle to survive.

Roll on Doncaster at home, then Colchester, then whoever.......

[quote]Hope we go out next round in a tricky away tie at Coventry.[/quote]

I''m totally with the Fool here, and know exactly where he''s coming from.

More games against ''lesser'' opponents, who may go over the top to gain a shock result, thus serious injury, suspensions etc. No thank you!.

It did''nt hurt us last year, did it?.