Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Carling Cup 2nd Round - Sunderland (H)

So, everyone is suddenly optimistic after a win against Yeovil & tipping us to win this tie easily ?

No chance.

I''ll be there, but I''m not at all confident.

Still, it will be nice to play a Premiership team all the same, & a replay of the friendly final to boot

[quote user="Yellow Fever"]

So, everyone is suddenly optimistic after a win against Yeovil & tipping us to win this tie easily ?

No chance.

Still, it will be nice to play a Premiership team all the same, & a replay of the friendly final to boot

[/quote]

I was starting to think I was alone here. How people see this as a winnable game is beyond me.

Hope we do win of course but seriously don''t see it at all.

[quote user="Yellow Fever"]

No chance.

No, not based on the yeovil win, but maybe out habit of upping our game against the bigger teams and getting good results. Also, I don''t recall too many people saying we will win it easily, more like it is a winable tie against a bigger club, but we are at home and we will make some cash from it - oh sorry for sounding positive in anyway, i''ll go and lock myself back in cupboard now, the dark dark cupboard.

[/quote]

I can''t remember for certain, and can''t be bothered to look it up, but isn''t Bruce pretty renowned for putting out weak teams in this competition?

I can''t remember any team he''s managed being much cop in the cups, anyway.

Should be a good game. I''ll be there, and though i reckon we''ll lose it''s still winnable. They all are.

No doubt sky will broadcast West ham vs millwall match coverage and the brawls outside the ground aswell.....

just like watching green street all over again once i saw that on tv :P

[quote user="bassy"]

Sunderland - no prob where on fire, Bent can be straightend by the snake.

[/quote]

WTF??????

[quote user="KingsLynnCanary"]I think i get the first cup game at home free as part of my season ticket package - not sure if that''s true for everyone?
[/quote]

Where did you get that from please?

[quote user="Sheffield uni Canary"]bit gutted won''t be here for tht game but anyone else think there is a chance it could be on tv as well???[/quote]

I was watching SSN last night and Tish was asked which tie was the one that attracted him and he said ours, His worsa were "A re-run of thier final and a potential banana skin for Sunderland" I see this as one foe the tele but e don''t play well in front of the camera''s do we  

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Sheffield uni Canary"]bit gutted won''t be here for tht game but anyone else think there is a chance it could be on tv as well???[/quote]

I was watching SSN last night and Tish was asked which tie was the one that attracted him and he said ours, His worsa were "A re-run of thier final and a potential banana skin for Sunderland" I see this as one foe the tele but e don''t play well in front of the camera''s do we  

[/quote]

What the hell happened there Itwas meant to read  Tish was asked what tie attracted him he said ours "this is a re-run of our cup final and a potential banana skin for Sunderland  

Being as I cant go I would hope they put it on the tv, but I think its unlikely. However, we have seen 12 goals involving our team in two games, have the history of us and Sunderland in the League Cup and both us and we are unbeaten in so far in the competition ([;)]) so you never know...

[quote user="Pete can symbols in usernames be banned please"]No doubt sky will broadcast West ham vs millwall match coverage and the brawls outside the ground aswell.....

just like watching green street all over again once i saw that on tv :P
[/quote]

Excellent, Sky can spin further cash from the tie by broadcasting Pay-Per-View Fight Night at the same time... ker-ching, for them!

I have no great expectationg of us getting through this tie, it''s been a long time since we beat a team from a higher league in any cup competition.

I think it was the league cup game away at Bolton when Gunny saved three pens in the shoot out.