Sign in to follow this  
Picto2007

A few things about the Bristol Game

First of all I was very surprised that Worthington didn''t give Jonson a start, but as the game started to unravel we looked good and passed the ball well.

My second gripe was the fact we couldn''t take our chances and feel that we should bury these opportunities when we play premiership opponents. These opportunities include Doherty''s one on one with the keeper near the beginning, and dohorty and McVeigh''s efforts that were headed off the line.

Am I the only one who thinks that Francis wasn''t really giving it his all? made a few mistakes in midfield that got me thinking that maybe he should have been substituted.

That leads me on to my final whinge, worthy''s substitutes!! Can someone explain to me why he took off the 2 best players on the pitch? McVeigh and Safri, and why didn''t he bring Jonson on ????? the guy said he needed a chance, and to me that seemed the perfect opportunity!

Also you can''t help thinking that if we can only win 1 - 0 against Bristol then however will we get on against Liverpool?

You''re pushing at an open door my friend, lots here have already voiced similar views.

What concerns me is that if/when we get hit by injuries the replacements we put in will be either untried or have only minutes worth of first team/premier appearances to their names.

Spawn, I totally agree with you re: subs.  Last night was an ideal opportunity to give Jonson at least a whole half (contradiction there somewhere?!) to show what he could do and all the poor guy got was a night of running up and down in front of me looking miserable. 

Now I could perhaps understand giving Svenny some time up front to see if he has sharpened up a bit, but bringing on Eddy (who we know is in good form) and Bents instead of at least allowing one of those to stay on the bench to give Jonson a go is beyond me...but I''m not the manager!  Just seemed bizarre.

Strange that Jonson has been bought, for a large fee and seemingly discarded after 2 games. The game cried out for some penetration  down the flanks, as we spent most of the evening passing it around in front of bristols back 9.  

In my opinion several players werent ''at it'' last nite...  Francis was one, Huckerby another, he shouldnt have been risked in this game given his importance to the team.

Spot on Charlie''s Dad. After a run of extremely embarassing cup exits, I''m all in favour of putting out a strongish side to get us through. But the evidence of the first 6 Premiership games is that if Hucks picks up a serious injury then we are absolutely and completely stuffed.

Quite apart from the other valid points about giving Jonson, Brennen etc a run out, to risk Hucks at all in a game like last nights was absolute madness.

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing isn''t it.

we only won 1-0. we may not have won with our 2nd stringers. and here we are moaning about team selection.

i do agree with many of you that i would have liked to have seen other players get a run out but it''s clear with the closeness of the actual result that NW got it right, again.

while we apparently dominated the game, we were only still 1-0 up and the reports do suggest that rovers had their chances late on.

so, if Worthy did try a different team, and we had lost, then what would everyone be saying?