Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

hoolahans gesture ..?

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]BGD - Are footballers really judged more harshly than us mere mortals?. Do you really think that some one who works for a customer facing organisation would get away with it if they were found to have made a rude gesture at those customers, no matter what the provocation. You know and I know it would be instant dismisal, and the said mere mortal would not have the luxury of being snapped up by another customer facing organisation (or any organisation for that matter)......How many footballers have been consigned to the dole queue for being naughty boys?, not many (if any), they even have more chance of being re-employed after serving aprison sentence!![/quote]

Honestly yes I do  because they have to maintain their composure at all times and we then judge them extremely harshly when they make the tiniest slip up, If he was a premiership footballer on 20K a week then I would have alot less sympathy but he isn''t and we still don''t know thw full story. Additionally that he wasn''t at work at the time of the incident, he was driving home after the game and was confronted by fans, what exactly happened is unclear. A poster has just shed a little more light on the situation but it still doesn''t clear up exactly what happened, only that the woman with Wes got out of the car and possibly due to what she said or what was said to her things escalated. Exactly what was said is still unknown.  

It would be a shame if a WAG was responsible for a talented footballer leaving this club

Also anyone can get work after dismissal or prison but it is hard, I am work in the rehabilitation of mentally ill offenders and frequently have to help them do just that. The whole point is that after serving a prison term and have been released you are deemed to have served your debt to society and therefore deserve a chance to get your life back on track and contribute positively to society (unless you''re Joey Barton!). That''s getting slightly off track though, once again if he was provked then it was quite possibly justified, or at least excusable. I''m sure we will find out soon enough.

Put yourself in his shoes.....

You''ve just played in the worst home defeat ever for the club, i''d like to think he tried his best. One of the better peformers on the day. Then you leave the ground to see around 100(im not sure) fans shouting,pointing etc, its not exactly easy to ignore is it?? He''s not exactly going to be a Norwich fan as much as any player. But i''m sure many of you may have done the same.

Hmm, if I were a player and was greeted by a barrage of abuse I might do the same. I know its not conduct becoming of a professional footballer but we are all human right? They shouldnt have to put up with abuse and then be expected to be all sweetness and light. Does anone know what was being said to him to illicit this response?

Bloody hell. What is the world coming to when a footballer is judged as a role model? In my day they had beards, dirty knees, drove too fast, shagged all the birds and gambled their money away.So what if he made a gesture? I''d love to see the police charge everyone on POW road on a Friday night who makes some sort of gesture; they''d have quite a bit of paperwork to fill in....

As I understand it he was out of order. Drove past the group protesting outside the City Stand and gave them the finger for no apparent reason. he also made gestures at the fans who invaded the pitch.

In his defence however i would like to think that maybe it was due to the fact that he was p**sed off at the performance and is perhaps a sign that he actually gives enough of a t*ss to get angry about what happened. It would be a shame to see our best player driven out due to some sort of rift with the fans and i''m sure none will hold this against him. After all my understanding is he is one of the very few senior players who told Gunn this summer that they want to stay and play for the club!

Probably best for all concerned if some sort of line is drawn under events on Saturday and we all move on!

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Hopefully he will come out and apologise, and then it will all be forgotten about...[/quote]

bring back the bumpy pic????? ;o(

[quote user="Mook"]Bloody hell. What is the world coming to when a footballer is judged as a role model? In my day they had beards, dirty knees, drove too fast, shagged all the birds and gambled their money away.

So what if he made a gesture? I''d love to see the police charge everyone on POW road on a Friday night who makes some sort of gesture; they''d have quite a bit of paperwork to fill in....
[/quote]

Exactly, why is it that fans can abuse players with utter impunity, yet when players react they are suddenly cast as pariahs? If it was during a game then that would be slightly different but this was when he was drving home.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Brian Gunns Dermatologist"]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]FFS... SOURCE?????[/quote]

It''s true, I heard this from a friend who was at the Capital Canaries AGM last night, came straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Very worrying, hope he''s on the team sheet tonight or it could be curtains.

[/quote]

This story has been banging about since saturday so I was not doubting it''s validity. It''s just that so many of these threads appear with no link to the original story, no credit or whatever. It can''t be that hard to post a link to a website or write "I read in the Daily Mirror today..".

[/quote]

It is true I was there with my four year old nephew and not even protesting just one of those walking past - I think it was completely out of order and could have led to more serious trouble - If Wes could not understand how fans were feeling then maybe he should go - he was in no danger and in the security of his car so should not have inflamed the situation

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="Mr. Bump"]Hopefully he will come out and apologise, and then it will all be forgotten about...[/quote]

bring back the bumpy pic????? ;o([/quote][:D]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

As I understand it he was out of order. Drove past the group protesting outside the City Stand and gave them the finger for no apparent reason. he also made gestures at the fans who invaded the pitch.

In his defence however i would like to think that maybe it was due to the fact that he was p**sed off at the performance and is perhaps a sign that he actually gives enough of a t*ss to get angry about what happened. It would be a shame to see our best player driven out due to some sort of rift with the fans and i''m sure none will hold this against him. After all my understanding is he is one of the very few senior players who told Gunn this summer that they want to stay and play for the club!

Probably best for all concerned if some sort of line is drawn under events on Saturday and we all move on!

[/quote]

Agreed, whilst the gesture is laudable, holding the inquiry just keeps the debacle of that game in the public eye and further contributes to division and demoralisation within the club. Should have just given him a fine and left it at that. 

Just out of interest, why did they give it large to Hoolahoop in the first place? 99% of everything we did ''well'' (i.e. wasn''t crap) in that game came through him. He had to tuck into central midfield to keep things ticking over and then had to go as far as covering the right wing too.

I can understand some fans'' anger but you have to ''target'' the right people

It is amazing how the people involved have become a drink fuelled mob, hurling abuse!!. Eye witness reports suggest that Mr H was making the gestures before he even reached this small group of 12 -18 year olds (sorry I meant to say 100+ drink fuelled mob). Apparently "he was not at work", just driving away from his place of work, now remind me if any mere mortals have been sacked for stuff they have on Facebook....... I work for a local authority, presumably if I was abused as I left the office and I reacted by giving my abusers a hand gesture and they complained about this, my bosses would let me off scot free, if you believe that then you are truly not living in the real world.......

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Just out of interest, why did they give it large to Hoolahoop in the first place? 99% of everything we did ''well'' (i.e. wasn''t crap) in that game came through him. He had to tuck into central midfield to keep things ticking over and then had to go as far as covering the right wing too. I can understand some fans'' anger but you have to ''target'' the right people[/quote]

I don''t think the fans outside the ground said anything to him. From the looks of it the guy who ran on the pitch did though. maybe he was still p**sed off from that.

Emotions were runnig high. Fans are pissed off, he was pissed off and it''s really no big deal. making it so just jeopordized his being here. We should all just move on. Ever acted in the heat of the moment?

Whether his getsure was understandable or justifiable or just out of order - the fact remains that Hoolahan is one of the few talented players we have left in the squad. That much was evident on Saturday: I thought he put in a decent shift and one of the few who even began to penetrate their defence. How does he feel playing amongst some of our present second raters? If he was in two minds about staying pre-season, what is he thinking now? And before anyone answers "good riddance if his heart isn''t in it" remember that getting quality players to up sticks and move to Norwich is not always easy and if we turn on our better players and send them packing so that the standard falls further, it will get harder still. Even without Gunn in charge.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="OldRobert"]If he indeed did make a gesture after that performance, then that shows he doesn''t give a damn, so as far as I''m concerned he can GO and the sooner the better.[:@]
[/quote]

Or it shows he''s as peed off about what happened Saturday and was just as angry as we were.  Just the other side of the argument.

[/quote]

He was indicating that we only managed to score 1 goal

I feel really sorry for the poor supporters who confronted him and having to cope with the two-fingered gesture he made at them. They will no doubt receive counselling , which one hopes will be provided by the club. There is too much of this sort of thing going on nowadays, Hoolahan should be fined at least 1 momths wages and the traumatised supporters given free tickets to future City games ( when they have recovered from their ordeal of course).

Brilliant, one of the seemingly few decent players at the club is going to be hounded out due some utter morons.

Why grass him up, where is the benefit?

If he did it, silly boy. But he''s human and probably doesn''t like been heckled in his car. I''d personally have thrown something at the idiots.

[quote user=" Baldrick"]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]FFS... SOURCE?????[/quote]

It is true. I complained to the club via the C/E and have received a response.

[/quote]

and it was........