Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

hoolahans gesture ..?

Wes Hoolahan is under investigation by Norwich City for events outside the ground following the 7-1 defeat at carrow road on Saturday.

Hoolahan was reported to the club on Saturday evening for directing an offensive gesture at protesting fans, as he drove from the ground. In laymen’s terms, he was reported for “flicking the bird” at a group of fans who directed their anger at him as he drove past them.

If confirmed, this event could be the wedge driven between player and club that allows an 11th hour bid to take Hoolahan away from the club. Although the club has said on several occasions that Wes Hoolahan is not for sale, and that the player was eager to stay, such a negative reaction to protesting fans can only be seen as contradicting that happy player image.

Norwich City FC have confirmed that an investigation over the alleged incident is underway

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]FFS... SOURCE?????[/quote]

It''s true, I heard this from a friend who was at the Capital Canaries AGM last night, came straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Very worrying, hope he''s on the team sheet tonight or it could be curtains.

Although a big fan of Hoolahan (and players of his ilk) IF this story is true can it be excused? I wonder what would happen to an ASDA employee who did a similar thing toa group of customers. I sincerely hope it is not true.

Yeah lets drive a decent player away over some mouthy drunk prats shouting outside the ground after the match

Well done

[quote user="Ankles"]

Yeah lets drive a decent player away over some mouthy drunk prats shouting outside the ground after the match

Well done

[/quote]Almost laughable isn''t Ankles?

If he indeed did make a gesture after that performance, then that shows he doesn''t give a damn, so as far as I''m concerned he can GO and the sooner the better.[:@]

[quote user="OldRobert"]If he indeed did make a gesture after that performance, then that shows he doesn''t give a damn, so as far as I''m concerned he can GO and the sooner the better.[:@]
[/quote]

Or it shows he''s as peed off about what happened Saturday and was just as angry as we were.  Just the other side of the argument.

[quote user="Brian Gunns Dermatologist"]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]FFS... SOURCE?????[/quote]

It''s true, I heard this from a friend who was at the Capital Canaries AGM last night, came straight from the horses mouth so to speak. Very worrying, hope he''s on the team sheet tonight or it could be curtains.

[/quote]

This story has been banging about since saturday so I was not doubting it''s validity. It''s just that so many of these threads appear with no link to the original story, no credit or whatever. It can''t be that hard to post a link to a website or write "I read in the Daily Mirror today..".

[quote user="IllawarraCanary"]Although a big fan of Hoolahan (and players of his ilk) IF this story is true can it be excused? I wonder what would happen to an ASDA employee who did a similar thing toa group of customers. I sincerely hope it is not true.[/quote]

Depends entirely on the circumstances, he will no doubt be fined if found guilty, we have no idea what the level of abuse was that he recieved. I don''t ever advocate allowing players to get away with everythings just becuase they''ve got talent but he is pretty much our only truly creative player, if he were to go over this it would destroy whatever shred of morale those associated with the club still cling to.

So it''s ok for "fans" to hurl abuse at him but he''s not permitted to return the compliment?  Let''s not forget he was not on the pitch he was outside the ground on his way home.  had he been out for a meal that evening with friends/family and some so called fan started hurling abuse at him I suppose he''s supposed to sit there and smile politely is he?  I''m buggered if I would.

I wouldn''t blame him if he left immediately.

[quote user="OldRobert"]If he indeed did make a gesture after that performance, then that shows he doesn''t give a damn, so as far as I''m concerned he can GO and the sooner the better.[:@][/quote]Balls! It shows no such thing. Reactions like yours are half the problem - it''s all just so black and white isn''t it? He worked hard on the pitch on Saturday and was one of only 2 or 3 who kept asking for the ball and didn''t go hiding. After the game something happened with a small group of ''supporters'' who had waited outside the players car park to bait them as they left. He evidently took some abuse and gave some back. What would you rather - that he stopped and handed out signed shirts? It didn''t happen on the pitch, the fans were there with the exclusive motive of being abusive (a reasonable assumption but an assumption I''ll grant you). All I can say is that it''s a good thing that the hiring and firing aint up to you. Hopefully someone with an iota of common sense will deal with it!

[quote user="Scooby"]

So it''s ok for "fans" to hurl abuse at him but he''s not permitted to return the compliment?  Let''s not forget he was not on the pitch he was outside the ground on his way home.  had he been out for a meal that evening with friends/family and some so called fan started hurling abuse at him I suppose he''s supposed to sit there and smile politely is he?  I''m buggered if I would.

I wouldn''t blame him if he left immediately.

[/quote]Was it really after a meal? I thought it was leaving Carra? None the less the fact that it wasn''t during a game and that he was being hounded makes all the difference to me. I don''t think he''s done much wrong.

Not only do we have to hang our heads in shame at the result but also at a section of our supporters who think its fun to bait players off the pitch ... idiots. Its almost like being a Newcastle Utd supporter [8o|]

Amazing, I write a story and everyone discusses it on a different site!!

[quote user="OldRobert"]If he indeed did make a gesture after that performance, then that shows he doesn''t give a damn, so as far as I''m concerned he can GO and the sooner the better.[:@]
[/quote]

We have absolutely no idea what the circumstances were that led him to make the gesture and it is highly likely that a player who actually explicitly requested to stay after we were relgated received some kind of provocation from the fans involved. It may have been foolish to make the gesture given the fact that as we all know footballers are judged much more harshly than us mere mortals, but to suggest that a player who it would appear to actually love this club enough to stay when he could walk into almost any team in the championship should go over something so trivial is totally disproportionate.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Or it shows he''s as peed off about what happened Saturday and was just as angry as we were.  Just the other side of the argument.

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more! This is feeble in my opinion .. and I wouldn''t blame him if he can''t wait to get out of here now.

So Kick It Off is the source for this? Wow. ACE has no inside information and just rehashes from elsewhere. Plus the grammar in that article makes it look like it was written by singing canary and then ACE put it on his site..

We have absolutely no idea what the circumstances were that led him to make the gesture and it is highly likely that a player who actually explicitly requested to stay after we were relgated received some kind of provocation from the fans involved. It may have been foolish to make the gesture given the fact that as we all know footballers are judged much more harshly than us mere mortals, but to suggest that a player who it would appear actually loves this club enough to stay when he could walk into almost any team in the championship should go over something so trivial is totally disproportionate

Corrections. For god''s sake we need an edit button on this site

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]So Kick It Off is the source for this? Wow. ACE has no inside information and just rehashes from elsewhere. Plus the grammar in that article makes it look like it was written by singing canary and then ACE put it on his site..
[/quote]

AS I have said before here and on other posts this came from the club representatives at the Capital Canaires AGM last night. Hoolahan plus the two fans who ran onto the pitch during the game will be investigated by an independent inquiry panel.

BGD - Are footballers really judged more harshly than us mere mortals?. Do you really think that some one who works for a customer facing organisation would get away with it if they were found to have made a rude gesture at those customers, no matter what the provocation. You know and I know it would be instant dismisal, and the said mere mortal would not have the luxury of being snapped up by another customer facing organisation (or any organisation for that matter)......How many footballers have been consigned to the dole queue for being naughty boys?, not many (if any), they even have more chance of being re-employed after serving aprison sentence!!

[quote user="Ankles"]

Well done

[/quote]hardly drunk prats!!! we are in the worst posistion of our clubs history! fair play to them!

As a fan who was there and saw this first hand I will go on record as saying this;

I would place most of the protesters in the 12 - 18 age group particularly the ones who were involved in this incident.

When Hoolahan passed the protesters the car stopped and a woman got out of the passenger seat and allegedly made comments to some of the protesters. Following the alleged comments several fans followed the car to the end of Carrow Road where the alleged gesture was made.

Nothing was directed at Hoolahan, UNTIL the female in the passenger seat got out close to the city stand entrance and allegedly made comments to some of the protesters.

The Chants being used include but were not limited to;

"That was embarrasing"

"We want Delia Out"

"Always S*** on the old blue and white"

NOTHING was directed at specific players or managment staff.

Simon Lappin and another player shortly after drove straight past the protest, Lappin didn''t bat an eyelid and the other player whom I didn''t see closely to put a name to raised his hand in thanks to the people who moved out of his way. Wes Hoolahan then drove past and the whole ugly scene played out.

My only other comment is this. There is more than one exit from the players carpark. Only 3 players drove down Carrow Road. The Changing rooms face out on to Carrow Road so the players would have heard what was going on. Would it have been wise to have left via another exit if you didn''t fancy the confrontation. 

[quote user="Ankles"]

Well done

[/quote]

An eye-witness speaks:

"I was further up the road not protesting. Wes drove past laughing with finger up before even reaching the fans. I was in a state of shock couldn''t believe it had happened. I was so livid when he stopped in front of me laughing I opening my wallet to ask did he want to take anything else from me... Not ashamed to say it and I''m sure if any of you witnessed what happened it would have stirred a reaction because it was that shocking. "

Doesn''t sound like a mouthy drunken prat.

Why not cut Hoolahan some slack? I''d love to know how some of you would react if you had a noisy mob hurling abuse in your direction. I can tell you that my reaction quite possibly would have been the same as his - he must have felt embarrassed and humiliated by Saturday''s performance. I''m sure he regretted his actions immediately afterwards. What a brilliant idea it is to try to push one of our better players out!