Sign in to follow this  
ncfclad

Jon Otsemobor must be on the bench

against Colchester...

from past experience I would have got rid, but after today I am happy to give him one more chance and put him on the bench and then bring him on for say 20 mins most games and see if he keeps the same level as todays performance and if he does then put him in the starting line up after he has showed that its not just a one off today.

I just dont like the idea of risking him in the side based on one good performance today. I think defensively Spillane is a better choice at right back.

[quote user="ncfclad"]against Colchester...

from past experience I would have got rid, but after today I am happy to give him one more chance and put him on the bench and then bring him on for say 20 mins most games and see if he keeps the same level as todays performance and if he does then put him in the starting line up after he has showed that its not just a one off today.

I just dont like the idea of risking him in the side based on one good performance today. I think defensively Spillane is a better choice at right back.[/quote]So let''s get this straight, you wouldn''t take the risk of putting L1''s right back of the season a couple of years ago in the first eleven, despite a very good performance today, but you would take the risk of putting Spillane in the squad, based on 0 competitive performances? Thought Spillane did well today, but Otsemobor looked like a different player to the usual, and will offer a massive amount going forward.Special praise for Drury, was extremely solid today I thought.

I agree, players have their level and League One just might be Otsemabor''s level. If he''s had a good game today, i see no reason not to play him.

He was excellent today and to not start him against Colchester would be total madness.

It would be nearly as stupid as not starting Martin.

It''s a nice choice to have. Both Spillane and Otsemobor have impressed pre-season. For me, it''s Spillane, though. Defensively stronger, and offensively still able (if not as able as Otsemobor).Either way, though, these are the sort of problems you want as a fan of a football club.

[quote user="ncfclad"]against Colchester... from past experience I would have got rid, but after today I am happy to give him one more chance and put him on the bench and then bring him on for say 20 mins most games and see if he keeps the same level as todays performance and if he does then put him in the starting line up after he has showed that its not just a one off today. I just dont like the idea of risking him in the side based on one good performance today. I think defensively Spillane is a better choice at right back.[/quote]

you must be about 14 you don''t bring a right back on for the last 20, whats the point?

He was poor last season but I''ve always held on to the hope that he''d recover and show us what he can do, which he is doing at the moment.

I know Spillane has a lot of fans but, in my opinion, he''s a long way off being as good a fullback as Semmy (especially when he''s in the mood).

[quote user="GJP"]

He was poor last season but I''ve always held on to the hope that he''d recover and show us what he can do, which he is doing at the moment.

I know Spillane has a lot of fans but, in my opinion, he''s a long way off being as good a fullback as Semmy (especially when he''s in the mood).

[/quote]lets hope its more rather tham less this season...Semmy has it all if he can be ar$ed

We also need to remember Otsemobor is a more attacking right back whereas Spillane would be a more defensive full back. Spillane may well feature at right back for away games if Gunn chooses not to commit as many men forward and attack on the break.

For me, Otsemobor to start

After last season I would have been more than happy if he had never played for us again. However after the second half performance today I have changed my opinion of him. In that 45 minutes he put in more effort and more attacking quality than the whole of last season. The big question though is why?

Is it the way he is being managed?

Has he had the riot act read to him?

Or more likely form the first time does he realise that his position is under threat and he could end up a reserve player for a 3rd Division side.

Whatever the reason I hope this new attitude and form continues.

[quote user="jbghost"]

After last season I would have been more than happy if he had never played for us again. However after the second half performance today I have changed my opinion of him. In that 45 minutes he put in more effort and more attacking quality than the whole of last season. The big question though is why?

Is it the way he is being managed?

Has he had the riot act read to him?

Or more likely form the first time does he realise that his position is under threat and he could end up a reserve player for a 3rd Division side.

Whatever the reason I hope this new attitude and form continues.

[/quote]Did he also have a breathing problem last season??? if he wasnt fit enough surely he would not have played

Otsemobor.... needs managing,it seems Gunn and his team hav done this, he was class today and the potenional was always there.!! A must in my books

we will wait and see...

my prediction is that he will go back to his old ways, cus ive seen him have the odd game when everyone raves about him, then folllowed by poor performances.

As for bringing a right back on for the last 20 mins, its cus of his pace i think he would be good against tired players when going forward.

After his performance today, i would start him. He is just starting to find a bit of confidence so i would start him next week. I think the back four which started todays game will start next saturday against Colchester as it sounds like they had a solid game.

Championship''s his level, when he turns up and gives sufficient effort. We all no that, thats what is so frustrating about him.

And today he was excellent, and is a must in the starting line up for next weekend.

Utter tosh mate where are you coming from.....he was rightly given motm against Wigan and is a different player now he is getting decent coaching and playing in a much better side with REGULAR playmates who are all playing with confidence. You talk absolute squit, were you even aware of the tactics that were being used on the right side against Wigan......I doubt it as your spectacles are really tainted!

To me the whole Otsemobor thing look like a confidence issue. He looked for most of last season terrified to make a mistake and in being so made even more.Semmy is clearly not the most intelligent football on the planet you only need to watch him for 10 game to figure that out. However I think he spend his whole time or at least he did, totally confused as to what his role is and what the manager wants him to do.Clearly he believes he is more likely to be caught out at the back if he''s piling forward all the time and obviously he''s had managers instructing him to use his pace to attack. Couple this with a manager like Roeder who was a bully and quite happy to single out individuals for a slating if there mistakes cost goals and you''ve got one confused, unconfident and rather unhappy player. We have in Semmy a player with pace to burn and he can make so very telling last ditch tackles from time to time. He’s never going to be a Premiership star but hey we''re a long way from that being a problem.He has to prove himself this season but I think he just might and I also think he could be one of our greatest assets this term. This is his league. The same league he was voted fullback of the year in.Give the guy a break until we see what he can do in a different league under a different manager. Surely that goes for all the lads.OTBC

Semis best moments have always been going forward - which were fewer last season.

But right is primarily about defending, and he has been shocking at that for the last two seasons, costing us countless goals and points - more than outweighing the effects of his attacking play.

Who do I think is the better defender? At the mo that is Spillane for me, but if Ots starts he does so with a clean sheet. But if he shows that inconsistent concentration that is so costly then he has to be replaced and quickly.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

Him and Whaley clearly get on well and work hard for each other.

I wouldn''t want to change that at the moment.

[/quote]Agree entirely. I think the Semi / Whaley partnership could be hugely productive for us this season and needs to be nurtured.I also agree about the tactics/ confidence issue. Clearly, Semi needs to be given simple, straightforward, instructions and some reassurance that he is an important part of the team in order to get the best out of him. Let''s not forget he played a handful of games in the prem too so he must have something. Probably no coincidence that he thrived under Dario Gradi at Crewe!

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]

Him and Whaley clearly get on well and work hard for each other.

I wouldn''t want to change that at the moment.

[/quote]Agree entirely. I think the Semi / Whaley partnership could be hugely productive for us this season and needs to be nurtured.I also agree about the tactics/ confidence issue. Clearly, Semi needs to be given simple, straightforward, instructions and some reassurance that he is an important part of the team in order to get the best out of him. Let''s not forget he played a handful of games in the prem too so he must have something. Probably no coincidence that he thrived under Dario Gradi at Crewe![/quote]

Whaley covered when he broke, i didnt see croft doing that. There were taking well, and i feel it will be a vital partnership!

[quote user="ncfclad"]against Colchester...

I just dont like the idea of risking him in the side based on one good performance today. I think defensively Spillane is a better choice at right back.[/quote]idiotobviously didnt go to the wigan match.

your an idiot for thinking cus he had one good game he is going to suddenly become a great player for us.

Yes I was at the Wigan game where he was probably our best player behind Hoolahan, but yes I was also at the Charlton game that mattered the most at the time when he was at fault for 2/3 goals because he was being his usual self.

I havent forgiven him for that and I feel he needs to earn his place in the team again, one good game isnt going to do it for me.

i cant believe the amount of criticism i have got for saying he shouldnt start against Colchester.

I hope I am wrong because he has a lot of potential if he could gain confidence or stop being lazy. If he starts against Colchester I will support him, but he has had one good game in a preseason friendly and suddenly everyone has forgotten his inept performances during the last two seasons.

[quote user="THINK BLUE"]After his attitude last season I would ideally never have to put up with watching Otsemobor in a yellow shirt ever again.[/quote]

Spot on, he`s had a good  game in a friendly but bottles it when under pressure, potential has always been there but the commitment, brain and attitude are very very suspect.

I haven''t seen any of the games, because of where I live. I merely have to ask about Semi whether his excellence was in going forward, or whether it was equally in defence.In the past he has caused problems defensively by going to sleep. Do he contribute to the second Wigan goal?

[quote user="Salopian"]I haven''t seen any of the games, because of where I live. I merely have to ask about Semi whether his excellence was in going forward, or whether it was equally in defence.

In the past he has caused problems defensively by going to sleep. Do he contribute to the second Wigan goal?
[/quote]

I would say both he made some superb charges up the wing, he was constantly looking for the ball from theo short (which Crooky was also begging Theo to do, but to no avail) and has link up play with Whaley that we didn''t see with Croft. where as he didn''t know if he should go beyond him or wait for the pass to set Croft off.

Defensively first half i thought he looked assured and did the job properly, dealt well with most threats. Unlike Drury, who had the uneviable job of babysitting Martins defensive mistakes and covering him.

Second half Jon covered Doc when he let his man go and raced back to stop a 1 on 1, did well with ariel threats from coners.

The best bit however was someones kid behind me saying that Otsemobor had boobs. [:D]