Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

WORRYING article regarding Wes

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=4798 As has now been picked up by the Pink Un.This worries me greatly in that it reads "we haven''t had any bids yet, but if we do he could be gone, and I''m putting in an early indication of that so''s not to provoke outrage when a bid is accepted"Well there would be outrage, and quite rightly. That Wes has played for us so well in pre-season and not been ommitted as with Clingan and Russell, shows me that he has nailed his colours to the mast. There should be NO bid acceptable for this player this season if we want to bounce back to the champ at the first attempt!

AT THE VERY LEAST nothing considered before January and even then ONLY if a Huckerby of proven fitness has walked through the door.

Not a great deal he can do if its written into his contract at a guess.

What''s promotion worth? About £5 million at the least? Wes isn''t single handedly going to get us promoted but unless we got a bid roughly worth the value of going up, we should ignore it.

[quote user="Barbie"]Not a great deal he can do if its written into his contract at a guess.[/quote]

yea i''m reading into that he may have a release clause....could be out of our hands. gonna be a big loss if he goes

This, to me, is an indication as to whether or not McNally and Bowker have the ''cojones'' to cut the (Colmans) mustard.If we are serious about going for promotion this year, we should be moving heaven and earth to keep him. If he goes now, all the doubts about ambition and ''same old, same old'' will resurface and an awful lot of goodwill will instantly evaporate. [:@]

What kind of game is the club playing? We are the actual source of the quote "no bids for him yet". Why draw attention to him? Are we shop windowing at this stage? Surely not!

[quote user="Barbie"]Not a great deal he can do if its written into his contract at a guess.[/quote]That makes sense. The only reason they''d be bracing us is if they know there''s a price at which it''s out of our hands. How horrible [:(]

[quote user="Romantic"]What kind of game is the club playing? We are the actual source of the quote "no bids for him yet".

Why draw attention to him? Are we shop windowing at this stage? Surely not!
[/quote]

This article may as well have the headline "Somebody make an offer, we could do with the cash"! I''m not happy at all with this article, it makes us look desperate!! Wes is our key this season & if we sell up the board for the first time will be on the receiving end of my verbal insults! 

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"][quote user="Barbie"]Not a great deal he can do if its written into his contract at a guess.[/quote]That makes sense. The only reason they''d be bracing us is if they know there''s a price at which it''s out of our hands. How horrible [:(][/quote]We could offer him a new contract without a clause.

[quote user="Babyface"][quote user="Crazy Eddie"][quote user="Barbie"]Not a great deal he can do if its written into his contract at a guess.[/quote]That makes sense. The only reason they''d be bracing us is if they know there''s a price at which it''s out of our hands. How horrible [:(][/quote]We could offer him a new contract without a clause.[/quote]We could, and, indeed, we should. I wonder, though, would he sign it? There''s a difference between not saying you want to leave and committing yourself longer-term to a team in a division you''d rather not be in. Perhaps we can persuade him not to talk to champ clubs this window (Prem sides, fair enough), or pray there''s no offer matching his value, and if we are in a commanding position in Jan, then offer him the contract?

The new look Norwich board, management and team have done their utmost to remove the bitter taste that was in a lot of supporters mouths at the end of last season. Good pre season results, encouraging signings etc. Selling Wes would go a long way to putting that taste right back in there!! I have been saying this for a while on this board..... we really can''t afford to lose him!!

It looks to me like a article that was caused by questioning from a journalist.Put the line "Are you worried that other clubs will look to sign Hoolahan?" before Gunns first quote.  fits perfectly.

You can ask any question and then put a l spin on the answer given.

The new set up at Carrow Road are not going to undo all the good work of the summer with one rash act.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Looks like more Archant-style stirring things up to me.
[/quote]

Certainly reads as though someones got a massive wooden spoon lol

[quote user="7rew"]It looks to me like a article that was caused by questioning from a journalist.Put the line "Are you worried that other clubs will look to sign Hoolahan?" before Gunns first quote.  fits perfectly.[/quote]I agree. I thought the moment I read it, it sounded like the response to a question. An example of how damaging senseless journo''s can be.

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"][quote user="7rew"]It looks to me like a article that was caused by questioning from a journalist.Put the line "Are you worried that other clubs will look to sign Hoolahan?" before Gunns first quote.  fits perfectly.[/quote]I agree. I thought the moment I read it, it sounded like the response to a question. An example of how damaging senseless journo''s can be.[/quote]If they had left the "Yes" off the start of the quote, then it wouldn''t have sounded like a responce to a question.Fools.

[quote user="Norfolk Dumpling"]You can ask any question and then put a l spin on the answer given.

The new set up at Carrow Road are not going to undo all the good work of the summer with one rash act.[/quote]The worry would be if this has brought him to other teams/agents attention, and if what Gunn is intimating with his "money talks" remark is that Wes has a minimum release clause in his contract.

Gunn should not even be commenting on it and Archant should not be sh*t stirring if they are asking questions like that.

All that article and those quotes have done is stir up speculation about a player when there was none previously and bring it to the attention of other teams and managers that we would be prepared to sell if the price is right. Can''t believe after all the good work this pre-season they would be prepared to even hint on record that we might sell out best player!

Very, very concerned at this article.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Gunn should not even be commenting on it and Archant should not be sh*t stirring if they are asking questions like that.

All that article and those quotes have done is stir up speculation about a player when there was none previously and bring it to the attention of other teams and managers that we would be prepared to sell if the price is right. Can''t believe after all the good work this pre-season they would be prepared to even hint on record that we might sell out best player!

Very, very concerned at this article.

[/quote]

It''s worrying that''s for sure.

Well, nice to see the local papers seem to want us to lose Wes. They, along with Gunn, should of just kept quiet because that article could almost be seen as saying "We like Wes, but a million or so and he''s gone".

[quote user="Delias Tasty Nibblets"]

With Wes - Top 6 + Happy me.

Without Wes - Mid Table + Angry me.

[/quote]Wouldn''t say it''s as simple as that. If those of us who''ve been congratulating the management for building strength in depth and creating pressure for places are right then it''s not a 1 man squad. I''d be mighty disappointed at the ''Norwichness'' of it if we lost him at this stage though.

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="Delias Tasty Nibblets"]

[/quote]Wouldn''t say it''s as simple as that. If those of us who''ve been congratulating the management for building strength in depth and creating pressure for places are right then it''s not a 1 man squad. I''d be mighty disappointed at the ''Norwichness'' of it if we lost him at this stage though.[/quote]Thing is, he''s looked so good pre-season it would make it all the worse if we lost him. If he''d looked useless, weak, and not that effective during pre-season people wouldn''t mind. The fact we''ve seen what he could do for us this season, would mean i''d be absolutely gutted to see him leave now.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Romantic"][quote user="Delias Tasty Nibblets"]

[/quote]Wouldn''t say it''s as simple as that. If those of us who''ve been congratulating the management for building strength in depth and creating pressure for places are right then it''s not a 1 man squad. I''d be mighty disappointed at the ''Norwichness'' of it if we lost him at this stage though.[/quote]Thing is, he''s looked so good pre-season it would make it all the worse if we lost him. If he''d looked useless, weak, and not that effective during pre-season people wouldn''t mind. The fact we''ve seen what he could do for us this season, would mean i''d be absolutely gutted to see him leave now.[/quote]Yeah I''d be gutted too but I''m not sure it''s fair on the rest of the squad to suggest it would definitely de-rail our chances. Thing is we just can not let it happen and I hope that the article is a storm in a tea cup. I must admit I''ve thought more than a couple of times that it''s amazing we still have him...

Thing is it could derail the chances of the whole team - not just by losing the quality of Hoolahan, but as a statement of intent. It would show lack of ambition from the very top. The other players know Wes is one of our best players and selling him on the back of several good pre-season performances could have a shocking impact on morale. Morale may be high right now but one would think its a very fragile thing right now following relegation last year and with an unproven manager. Selling Wes may lead to a drop in Morale and confidence that may not return for a long long time.

we haven''t had any bids yet, but if we do he could be gone, and I''m putting in an early indication of that so''s not to provoke outrage when a bid is accepted