Sign in to follow this  
Romantic

If We Lose To Colchester...?

Play the hypothetical for a moment. In absolute honesty, which camp (as things are generally extremely polarised on this here forum) will you fall into if we take a defeat on Saturday? The reason I ask is because I - like many - have enjoyed seeing man management, team construction, dead wood removal and squad competition over the last few weeks. But all this in mind, we''ve played no league games yet and it would be naive to assume that an outfit like Colchester will be a walk over.So if we don''t get the ideal start which way will you swing? Abject panic or philosophical patience? (yes I know I''m being facetious but there''s a genuine question there really.)

There was part of me that wanted us to lose to Wigan so that we could address the deficiencies ahead of the league campaign.

If we lose to Colchester it is not the end of the world, but will be a real eye opener as to what this league has in store for us.

However I really do not think we will lose to them!

Yes, it is a good question.

I''m prepared to give Gunn time. I have always been one of the few supporters of Gunn and I always said give him six months this season.

I will pass judgement at Christmas not August.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Yes, it is a good question.

I''m prepared to give Gunn time. I have always been one of the few supporters of Gunn and I always said give him six months this season.

I will pass judgement at Christmas not August.[/quote]That''s the type of direction I swing in but I''m not sure everyone will agree!

It''s a long season and there will be setbacks. However if  we are to bounce straight back we need to make Carrow Road a fortress, so home defeats would not be good.

[quote user="Romantic"]Play the hypothetical for a moment. In absolute honesty, which camp (as things are generally extremely polarised on this here forum) will you fall into if we take a defeat on Saturday?

The reason I ask is because I - like many - have enjoyed seeing man management, team construction, dead wood removal and squad competition over the last few weeks. But all this in mind, we''ve played no league games yet and it would be naive to assume that an outfit like Colchester will be a walk over.

So if we don''t get the ideal start which way will you swing? Abject panic or philosophical patience? (yes I know I''m being facetious but there''s a genuine question there really.)
[/quote]nothing is won or lost on the 1st game of the season.....we will win anyway [Y]

Agreed Beausant.  At the start of the season the first thing I want is an unbeaten run, when this goes it is then the unbeaten home run that matters most.  To be beaten there on the first day of the season does not bear thinking about!

I would be desperately unhappy if we lost on Saturday because it would deflate the confidence bubble which has been building over the last few weeks.Having said that, these things do happen and it only takes one bad decision (what''s Mr D''Urso doing on Saturday?) or mistake and we could be sitting at the bottom of the table on Saturday night.Onr thing which I would not be doing is calling for Gunn''s head. The worst thing we could do at the moment is to throw everything up in the air again. The players now at the club are Gunn''s and have chosen to stay / come here and work with him and his team and we must allow him space to build momentum.The question of how long we wait if it is all going pear shaped is the really difficult one and, frankly, at the moment, I am not prepared to think about that.....

don''t get me wrong I''d be pretty annoyed if we lost but to be honest the club have exceeded my expectations this preseason............we have done away with loans and have created a good solid core of our own players, they need time to gel. I think we will get a good run out of this squad but its not going to go all our way......its a tough league

[quote user="First Wizard"]Ifs, buts and maybe''s.................let just wait and see, yes?[/quote]More a question about peoples stance as regards their response to a potentially difficult day than a score or performance prediction.

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="First Wizard"]Ifs, buts and maybe''s.................let just wait and see, yes?[/quote]

More a question about peoples stance as regards their response to a potentially difficult day than a score or performance prediction.
[/quote]

Who truly can predict how they will feel if we lose? 

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="First Wizard"]Ifs, buts and maybe''s.................let just wait and see, yes?[/quote]

More a question about peoples stance as regards their response to a potentially difficult day than a score or performance prediction.
[/quote]

Okay Romantic, I would be hugely disappointed if we can''t beat Colchester at home, but one game does not a season make.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Okay Romantic, I would be hugely disappointed if we can''t beat Colchester at home, but one game does not a season make.

[/quote]

But it does give ''one'' a good excuse to rant on about how Gunny should not be in charge and why Delia and Michael should leave forthwith. [;)]

I bet Smudger cant wait for us to lose so he can tell us all how stupid we were :)I will pass judgement at Xmas. Like wizard said, 1 match doesnt make a season

Be unhappy but as long as we compete and play the right team and formation then its a long season so get behind them!

Just been thinking about this again. Actually, I think WE can make a huge difference on Saturday.Many of the players will not have played in front of what will almost certainly be a full house of around 25,000 on Saturday. If the atmosphere is tense and edgy and, if ,say, we go a goal behind and sections of the crowd start to get on the backs of certain individuals, you may find players hiding and not wanting the ball in case they make a mistake. (Semi is the perfect example- On Saturday, he was eager for the ball and prepared to run and take on players but we can all remember times when he avoided space and looked like he wanted to get rid of the ball anywhere as soon as he got it!)On the other hand, if we give unconditional support and really roar on the team, I suspect it will be a real inspiration to them and they will crave more.Let''s put all the past divisions behind us and make up our minds to recreate FCR as it used to be- somewhere intimidating to the opposition!

No, we drew 2-2 at Bradford, though we were 2-0 up with six minutes to play.We haven''t actually won our opening match since 2002 and apart from the promotion season, it''s certainly set the tone for what followed...

I seem to remember that in the 85-86 season we made a slowish start, after the bitter disappointment of relegation in our Milk Cup season. But we settled and stormed the division, winning the title with a few weeks to spare.

I don''t think we will lose on Saturday; but I''m prepared to see where we are by October /Novemebr before making a judgement, and to give the team my full vocal support throughout.

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="Jim Kent"]Yes, it is a good question. I''m prepared to give Gunn time. I have always been one of the few supporters of Gunn and I always said give him six months this season. I will pass judgement at Christmas not August.[/quote]

That''s the type of direction I swing in but I''m not sure everyone will agree!
[/quote]

I say 10 games in is the first time to really take stock of where we currently stand.

I will not be overly critical of the players or Gunny after just one game or even 10.

If we are not successful at this level then it will be because of not enough has been addressed at boardroom level.  Saying that I think that Gunny has a squad that looks like it can at least compete for top 6, which I was not too hopeful of even a month ago.  Give them time but not too much!

We need to be up there and challenging from the off in my view otherwise sections of our fans support will obviously turn. 

It is vital that we start off by getting at least some kind of result on Saturday and with a couple of what could prove to be tricky away trips to follow I think we really need to be looking at 3 points to avoid negativity creeping in early doors.

It certainly is exciting for the first time in 3 or 4 years anyhow.  I am looking forward to seeing how the story of this season unfurls.

Go Gunny & Co... go prove me wrong!!!  [:D]

[quote user="Smudger"]We need to be up there and challenging from the off in my view otherwise sections of our fans support will obviously turn.[/quote]Hehe!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Smudger"]We need to be up there and challenging from the off in my view otherwise sections of our fans support will obviously turn.[/quote]Hehe![/quote]

Tickled something have I Lapp?

Are you going on Saturday? 

Hope to see you soon.  Good to here that the new Grandchild is doing well... [;)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="Jim Kent"]Yes, it is a good question. I''m prepared to give Gunn time. I have always been one of the few supporters of Gunn and I always said give him six months this season. I will pass judgement at Christmas not August.[/quote]That''s the type of direction I swing in but I''m not sure everyone will agree![/quote]

I say 10 games in is the first time to really take stock of where we currently stand.

I will not be overly critical of the players or Gunny after just one game or even 10.

If we are not successful at this level then it will be because of not enough has been addressed at boardroom level.  Saying that I think that Gunny has a squad that looks like it can at least compete for top 6, which I was not too hopeful of even a month ago.  Give them time but not too much!

We need to be up there and challenging from the off in my view otherwise sections of our fans support will obviously turn. 

It is vital that we start off by getting at least some kind of result on Saturday and with a couple of what could prove to be tricky away trips to follow I think we really need to be looking at 3 points to avoid negativity creeping in early doors.

It certainly is exciting for the first time in 3 or 4 years anyhow.  I am looking forward to seeing how the story of this season unfurls.

[/quote]A balanced post Smudger, cheers.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="Jim Kent"]Yes, it is a good question. I''m prepared to give Gunn time. I have always been one of the few supporters of Gunn and I always said give him six months this season. I will pass judgement at Christmas not August.[/quote]

That''s the type of direction I swing in but I''m not sure everyone will agree!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Blimey - the man can put together a balanced and sensible post when he wants - nice one!

Wouldn''t be the end of the world although a spanking wouldn''t do much for confidence levels. We never seem to win the first game so if we do perhaps it''s great things to come.....

I noticed that the football guru''s in today''s '' Times '' have us finishing second behind Leeds with MK Dons third. 

I''d take that right now. 

7-10 games, if we find our selves already 8 points off 1st place.. I might be lowering my sights a little from 1st to 2-4th. Another ten games, lower my sights a little more.. Another ten games.. up-my sight to my head and shoot.This wont happen though as we''re going to win the league.

..and the JPT..and the League Cup; )