Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Gunn's best move

IMO Gunny''s best move was taken last season when he asked who actually WANTED to play for us. The team spirirt in preseason has been a joy to observe and everyone seems really up for it.

Last season relegation came largely because of those performances (QPR away etc) when it was patently obvious that the loan brigade and some of the perms just didn''t care if we won or not.

Team spirit really does count for a lot. Well done BG

Fair point.  I think having this team spirit is going to be key this season as this will make the difference on those cold winter evenings away at Brighton and Oldham etc.

The players all know what is at stake this year as well which will make a difference.

To true. I also think the size of the squad now will have a big part to play. Last year, it was pretty much guarenteed if you were fit you would play, but with so much compatition for places now there''s no room for some of the cant be @rsed performances of last year. Semmy on Saturday was a perfect example. If he played like that week in week out, we''d effectivly have a new player on the books.

If there''s one thing we can definitely credit Gunn with it''s a desire to develop a team mentality and an obvious gift for man management. On tactics i''ll keep my peace for now but this particular part of his game is certainly strong.

Hmm,Gunny''s best move..... watching the game from the stands!!!! It is interesting that the radio mike lost comunication at times...... perphaps team Gunn realise this is the best way to deal with his "tactics"?

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Last season relegation came largely because of those performances (QPR away etc) when it was patently obvious that the loan brigade and some of the perms just didn''t care if we won or not.[/quote]No, that''s not the case. The team was set up and sent out appallingly

against Reading at home, and Charlton away last season. Not to mention

a few other games, Shef Weds at home, Ipswich away spring to mind. There was no issue of "desire"

or "hunger" in those games. It was just the wrong team, with the wrong

tactics. Also, by loan brigade, do you mean Gow, Mooney, Leijer, Lee, Carney etc all brought in by Gunn?I''m all for this new wave of optimism, and I''m all for permanent signings, but no point in changing history.

Perhaps Gunn''s "forte" is the man managment side of things, whilst Crook and Butterworth are more involved in the tactics and coaching.If so, thats no bad thing at all.

in my opinion he needs to get off to a winning start and breed a little bit of arogance into the squad so when those winternights come along they want to grind the opposition into the dust. however a very good start is paramount to the plan.