Sign in to follow this  
Downloads

Hughes

Couldn''t make today''s game, wondered if someone who was there could give their assessment of him. My brother went to them game but can''t get to talk to him yet.

He''s the only player i haven''t seen, or had a report back on from someone else.

Thanks in advance.

I was rather dissapointed. Thought he would be an excellent signing. But early indications from todays game suggest I may be wrong. Didn''t really get stuck into the game. Was hoping to see him creating things for us but that didn''t seem apparent. Wasn''t putting much of a foot in either so I was quite underwhelmed.

Considering the hype surrounding the signing of him, i don''t think he looked better than his partner. Adayemi and Gill were comfortably his equal in my opinion.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]I was rather dissapointed. Thought he would be an excellent signing. But early indications from todays game suggest I may be wrong. Didn''t really get stuck into the game. Was hoping to see him creating things for us but that didn''t seem apparent. Wasn''t putting much of a foot in either so I was quite underwhelmed.[/quote]Although it is fair to say he''s only just been passed fit enough to play pre-season, so maybe judgement is unfair yet, although i do agree wit hyou.

[quote user="hogesar"]Considering the hype surrounding the signing of him, i don''t think he looked better than his partner. Adayemi and Gill were comfortably his equal in my opinion.
[/quote]

I thought Gill was better. Was really impressed with Gill when he came on. Adeyemi didn''t have enough time but judging on his last performance I''d put him ahead as well. Although, I''m hoping he will improve as it was only Hughes'' first game.

Looked decent. His passes were generally accurate and positive, his movement good and occasionally showed ability dribbling. He looked like he had a bit of intelligence about him as well - played some clever passes, straight out of the Ian Crook book of how to pass a ball! On the negative side does not take a good free kick or corner (based on the two or three occasions he attempted today) and did not get forward as much as I''d have liked him to.

Thanks very much. That''s the beauty of this season then, we have 3 others if he doesn''t go at it full tilt, who will welcome the opportunity to play.

Let''s hope he''s just not match fit.

I think the comments he has received are a little unfair. I don''t think any of the new signings can really be judged quite so decisively as some have above quite yet. We have to remember Hughes was playing for the first time today and against Premiership opposition. And in my opinion he looked handy.

He had a quiet game, but wasnt ineffective, and didnt give the ball away. I believe he floated the ball over for Semi to run onto for the 1st goal, and he made the pass for Martins 2nd goal, so had a part to play in the first 2 goals. Obviously as its his first game for us he wouldnt be mesmirising. Not sure if he will make the starting 11 on Sat but definitely will be on the bench at least.

Nobody had a bad game today, in my opinion. However, if I was to pick a ''least effective'' (starting) player I would have to say Hughes- though the fact that he got an assist for Martin''s second goal speaks volumes for how good we looked today!

He showed some good touches (football cliche #1) and put himself about a bit (football cliche #2) and covered well when they began to break, but I feel there will be more to come as people have rightly pointed out, this is his first pre-season action and it was against Premier opposition.

Potentially could be very good. On the other hand, could be Fozzy 2.0.

Given that he''s had virtually no pre season and is way off match fitness I think he looked pretty promising. Good on the ball and quite mobile, I think he''ll be a very useful player.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Given that he''s had virtually no pre season and is way off match fitness I think he looked pretty promising. Good on the ball and quite mobile, I think he''ll be a very useful player.

[/quote]

Agreed. Thought he did pretty well overall. Use of the ball was very good, lots of nice and tidy little touches. Look forward to seeing more of him as he builds up his fitness.

Should have a good combo in the middle of the park with OTJ alongside him and Adeyemi and Gill for backup.

Early days. If he reproduces the form he showed up here in Scotland with Motherwell then Norwich have won a watch.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I think he looked pretty promising. Good on the ball and quite mobile.

[/quote]I''ve seen five or so posts already stating that ''he doesn''t want to put a foot in'' or variations on that theme. Now you know as well as I do Beau that it it''s a small step from that sort of comment to ''he lacks passion'' and ultimately ''looks like he doesn''t want to be here''. Minor points such as being good on the ball (Come on, what on earth has that got to do with being a decent footballer) will be ignored. I give him six months [;)]

Seriously, your posts demonstrate such a lack of awareness of what the reality on the pitch is, that it is genuinely scary.Hughes, as you may have noticed played his first game yesterday, after a niggling injury.  He obviously, blindingly obviously even to the terminally stupid, was just short of match fitness.  He looked neat on the ball, but lacking in pace and stamina.You were underwhelmed simply because you have absolutely no clue of what is going on.  [quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]I was rather dissapointed. Thought he would be an excellent signing. But early indications from todays game suggest I may be wrong. Didn''t really get stuck into the game. Was hoping to see him creating things for us but that didn''t seem apparent. Wasn''t putting much of a foot in either so I was quite underwhelmed.[/quote]

I dont know too much about Hughes, but after hearing what Leicester fans said.

He could be another Fotheringham lol

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]I''ve seen five or so posts already stating that ''he doesn''t want to put a foot in'' or variations on that theme. Now you know as well as I do Beau that it it''s a small step from that sort of comment to ''he lacks passion'' and ultimately ''looks like he doesn''t want to be here''. Minor points such as being good on the ball (Come on, what on earth has that got to do with being a decent footballer) will be ignored. I give him six months [;)][/quote]So utterly true it makes me sad."Get INTO ''em Hughes" will soon be spouting forth from the Barclay, then the blame game will start etc etc. Funny, cos I can''t remember the greatest midfielder Norwich have had in the last 20 years (Ian Crook) ever "putting his foot in".

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]I''ve seen five or so posts already stating that ''he doesn''t want to put a foot in'' or variations on that theme. Now you know as well as I do Beau that it it''s a small step from that sort of comment to ''he lacks passion'' and ultimately ''looks like he doesn''t want to be here''. Minor points such as being good on the ball (Come on, what on earth has that got to do with being a decent footballer) will be ignored. I give him six months [;)][/quote]So utterly true it makes me sad."Get INTO ''em Hughes" will soon be spouting forth from the Barclay, then the blame game will start etc etc. Funny, cos I can''t remember the greatest midfielder Norwich have had in the last 20 years (Ian Crook) ever "putting his foot in".[/quote]Bang on. I look forward to seeing him contribute.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

I''ve seen five or so posts already stating that ''he doesn''t want to put a foot in'' or variations on that theme. Now you know as well as I do Beau that it it''s a small step from that sort of comment to ''he lacks passion'' and ultimately ''looks like he doesn''t want to be here''. Minor points such as being good on the ball (Come on, what on earth has that got to do with being a decent footballer) will be ignored. I give him six months [;)]
[/quote]

So utterly true it makes me sad.

"Get INTO ''em Hughes" will soon be spouting forth from the Barclay, then the blame game will start etc etc. Funny, cos I can''t remember the greatest midfielder Norwich have had in the last 20 years (Ian Crook) ever "putting his foot in".
[/quote]

Its not just us its an English thing. I think it was most ridiculous when people were getting angry with Earnshaw for not tracking back though.

[quote user="ref89"]Seriously, your posts demonstrate such a lack of awareness of what the reality on the pitch is, that it is genuinely scary.

Hughes, as you may have noticed played his first game yesterday, after a niggling injury.  He obviously, blindingly obviously even to the terminally stupid, was just short of match fitness.  He looked neat on the ball, but lacking in pace and stamina.

You were underwhelmed simply because you have absolutely no clue of what is going on. 

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]I was rather dissapointed. Thought he would be an excellent signing. But early indications from todays game suggest I may be wrong. Didn''t really get stuck into the game. Was hoping to see him creating things for us but that didn''t seem apparent. Wasn''t putting much of a foot in either so I was quite underwhelmed.[/quote][/quote]

Sorry Lord knowitall - Forgive me for not bowing down in your greatness. [:|]

Your lack of simple knowledge that a messageboard usually creates divided opinions is genuinely scary. The post asked what I thought of his performance. I posted what I thought, and I stick by it. The question was not asking ''why'' I thought this - but, had you read any of my other posts, you would have realise I actually said this is obviously because it is his first game. Never mind, nothing like a good argument is there [Y]

But, what do I know? You are the special one, sir.

Well...just seen the highlights and Hughes didnt have a bad "quiet" game!

Goal 1) His ball doen th eright for Semmy to persue and cross for Martin to score....

Goal 2) Good feet and pass to Martin to score.....

To me, thats creating.

I went saturday, true his fitness didnt look upto the standard of the rest of the team but we looked to use him as an outlet and gave him a lot of the ball to distribute and build up play. I thought he looked tidy on the ball and think he will be a good player once fit.