Sign in to follow this  
Puzzy magnet

Ipswich is in Norfolk according to the Observer...how dare they?

The Observer (England)

August 2, 2009

Keane leads assault of next generation on big league: Young Championship managers prepare to strut their stuff on the BBC, writes Jamie Jackson

SECTION: OBSERVER OBSERVER SPORT PAGES; Pg. 7

LENGTH: 746 words

ROY KEANE, Darren Ferguson, Nigel Clough, Gareth Southgate, Chris Coleman, Simon Davey, Ian Holloway, Nigel Pearson, Billy Davies, Brendan Rodgers, Jim Magilton, Nigel Adkins, Brian Laws, Paulo Sousa, Malky Mackay and Roberto Di Matteo.

These are the 16 bright and very young managers - all are in their mid-40s or below - who will be orchestrating training, picking the teams and offering the invaluable post-match soundbites during each frantic week of the Championship season.

English football''s next generation of gaffers is now firmly established in the tier below the Premier League. And, alongside Sky Sports, the BBC''s new package of football coverage, which will show 10 live Championship games (kicking off with Newcastle''s trip to West Brom on Saturday), means every glower, pout and tactical blunder of the Championship 16 as they try to plot their way to the big league will be made available to a wider audience.

Keane, as always, is the star turn, a manager who this week had the Ipswich Town team he took over towards the end of last season in an army boot camp in Colchester. Beyond the priceless picture of Keane in army fatigues (worth a google) and the Irishman''s straight face when claiming his squad "enjoyed" their two days with the 7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery, only a repeat of the promotion won with Sunderland three years ago will please this professional Mr Scary.

Still only 37, Keane, when discussing the trickiness of tempting premium talent to Norfolk, has already registered some pre-emptive grumbles. "It''s going to be difficult to get one or two out of the Premier League because of the prices and wages.

"People are quick to tell me how much I spent at Sunderland, but in the first few months I bought Dwight Yorke, Liam Miller, Stan Varga, Ross Wallace, Graham Kavanagh and Dave Connolly. Then in the January window I brought in Carlos Edwards, Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans on loan.

"I spent about six million £. If I can spend six million and get this team promoted I''ll be very pleased."

Keane has so far recruited Lee Martin, Colin Healy and Damien Delaney for a total close to £ 2m, plus the teenagers Troy Brown and Shane O''Connor. He hopes Ipswich will be contenders but points to the newly deposed big beasts as favourites.

"It''s going to be a real test in the Championship with some tough away games. I''d like to think we''ll be in the mix if I can get a few more players in, [but] over the last few years you look at the teams who got relegated from the Premier League and generally two of the three bounce straight back, so Newcastle, Middlesbrough and West Brom will be looking to go back up."

Southgate, at 38, has the loyalty of Steve Gibson, chairman at the Riverside, to repay. Di Matteo, 39, who became West Brom manager this summer after taking MK Dons to the League One play-offs, will be keen to show success in Milton Keynes does not hex a move up the divisions following Paul Ince''s failure at Blackburn last season.

"You also have Cardiff City, who just missed out on the play-offs, Sheffield United, too," Keane adds. Cardiff, who entertain Adkins'' newly promoted Scunthorpe, and Sheffield United boast two of the seven managers aged 50 or over - Dave Jones, 52, and Kevin Blackwell, 50, respectively, although only the Cardiff manager has won promotion to the Premier League, with Wolves in 2003.

Ferguson can boast two promotions in consecutive seasons with Peterborough. The managerial debut of the son of Sir Alex in English football''s second tier begins at Derby on Saturday.

But if the BBC can find room in its schedules on the evening of 8 December (a Tuesday) then televising Peterborough''s visit to Ipswich, and Ferguson''s meeting with Keane, his father''s former favourite, should make a riveting watch.

Ferguson, who signed a fresh four-year deal at London Road, plans to continue the attacking style that has marked his father''s very best United teams. "I think 4-4-2 is our best formation. We need to have a little bit of flexibility - the lads know how to play different formations - but if it ain''t broke don''t fix it."

The final word, though, goes to the man from Cork and concerns the travails of management: "There is no comparison between playing and managing - nothing will ever come close to playing. Playing was a doddle."

Far harder, as well, to survive and prosper in the Championship for Keane and his 15 young colleagues.

Tough on Mr Tough: Roy Keane says he finds managing harder than playing

Apparently under the new boundary commission rulings, Ipswich will be part of Norfolk.

Its gone down really well.

[quote user="Big Dog "] 

The Observer (England)

August 2, 2009

Keane leads assault of next generation on big league: Young Championship managers prepare to strut their stuff on the BBC, writes Jamie Jackson

SECTION: OBSERVER OBSERVER SPORT PAGES; Pg. 7

LENGTH: 746 words

ROY KEANE, Darren Ferguson, Nigel Clough, Gareth Southgate, Chris Coleman, Simon Davey, Ian Holloway, Nigel Pearson, Billy Davies, Brendan Rodgers, Jim Magilton, Nigel Adkins, Brian Laws, Paulo Sousa, Malky Mackay and Roberto Di Matteo.

These are the 16 bright and very young managers - all are in their mid-40s or below - who will be orchestrating training, picking the teams and offering the invaluable post-match soundbites during each frantic week of the Championship season.

English football''s next generation of gaffers is now firmly established in the tier below the Premier League. And, alongside Sky Sports, the BBC''s new package of football coverage, which will show 10 live Championship games (kicking off with Newcastle''s trip to West Brom on Saturday), means every glower, pout and tactical blunder of the Championship 16 as they try to plot their way to the big league will be made available to a wider audience.

Keane, as always, is the star turn, a manager who this week had the Ipswich Town team he took over towards the end of last season in an army boot camp in Colchester. Beyond the priceless picture of Keane in army fatigues (worth a google) and the Irishman''s straight face when claiming his squad "enjoyed" their two days with the 7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery, only a repeat of the promotion won with Sunderland three years ago will please this professional Mr Scary.

Still only 37, Keane, when discussing the trickiness of tempting premium talent to Norfolk, has already registered some pre-emptive grumbles. "It''s going to be difficult to get one or two out of the Premier League because of the prices and wages.

"People are quick to tell me how much I spent at Sunderland, but in the first few months I bought Dwight Yorke, Liam Miller, Stan Varga, Ross Wallace, Graham Kavanagh and Dave Connolly. Then in the January window I brought in Carlos Edwards, Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans on loan.

"I spent about six million £. If I can spend six million and get this team promoted I''ll be very pleased."

Keane has so far recruited Lee Martin, Colin Healy and Damien Delaney for a total close to £ 2m, plus the teenagers Troy Brown and Shane O''Connor. He hopes Ipswich will be contenders but points to the newly deposed big beasts as favourites.

"It''s going to be a real test in the Championship with some tough away games. I''d like to think we''ll be in the mix if I can get a few more players in, [but] over the last few years you look at the teams who got relegated from the Premier League and generally two of the three bounce straight back, so Newcastle, Middlesbrough and West Brom will be looking to go back up."

Southgate, at 38, has the loyalty of Steve Gibson, chairman at the Riverside, to repay. Di Matteo, 39, who became West Brom manager this summer after taking MK Dons to the League One play-offs, will be keen to show success in Milton Keynes does not hex a move up the divisions following Paul Ince''s failure at Blackburn last season.

"You also have Cardiff City, who just missed out on the play-offs, Sheffield United, too," Keane adds. Cardiff, who entertain Adkins'' newly promoted Scunthorpe, and Sheffield United boast two of the seven managers aged 50 or over - Dave Jones, 52, and Kevin Blackwell, 50, respectively, although only the Cardiff manager has won promotion to the Premier League, with Wolves in 2003.

Ferguson can boast two promotions in consecutive seasons with Peterborough. The managerial debut of the son of Sir Alex in English football''s second tier begins at Derby on Saturday.

But if the BBC can find room in its schedules on the evening of 8 December (a Tuesday) then televising Peterborough''s visit to Ipswich, and Ferguson''s meeting with Keane, his father''s former favourite, should make a riveting watch.

Ferguson, who signed a fresh four-year deal at London Road, plans to continue the attacking style that has marked his father''s very best United teams. "I think 4-4-2 is our best formation. We need to have a little bit of flexibility - the lads know how to play different formations - but if it ain''t broke don''t fix it."

The final word, though, goes to the man from Cork and concerns the travails of management: "There is no comparison between playing and managing - nothing will ever come close to playing. Playing was a doddle."

Far harder, as well, to survive and prosper in the Championship for Keane and his 15 young colleagues.

Tough on Mr Tough: Roy Keane says he finds managing harder than playing

[/quote]

disgusting find the reporter!

The Oserver is owned by The Guardian isn''t it? And after 16 years of ownership it has yet to make a profit, and the plug is likely to be pulled. This sort of journalism is probably why!

Nearly as bad as Adrian Chiles on the One Show talking about Bobby Robson and saying he appeared on our show when he was given the freedom of the CITY of Ipswich - they can only hope !!!!!