Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

I want to believe, but.....

I''ve got caught out so many times following City over the last 52 years, so I''d like to ask all those on here who went to the Wigan game the following questions:

1. Based on a friendly, which isn''t that competitive to be fair, how do you rate City''s performance? marks out of 10 please.

2. Our best and worse players?

3. Gunns performance?

4. Is there real hope for the new season now?

Many thanks.

1. 8/10 for our performance. For the most part we looked solid, we were first to every loose ball and certainly looked the most competitive of the two sides. For the first time in a few years it looked like we were playing as a coherent unit. Only drawbacks were a few lapses of concentration for the two Wigan goals, Wes was a bit guilty of doing "too much in the wrong places" for Insomnia''s goal and was made to look silly, but that was pretty much the only mistake he made all game. Most importantly though we came back from behind twice when last years team would have rolled over, against Premier League opposition at that.

2. Best players- Hoolahan pulled all the strings throughout the game, made one mistake for the first goal but apart from that ran the show, his ball for Whaley''s goal was absolutely perfect. Semi and Whaley looked extremely dangerous on the right and looked completely on the same wavelength. Drury looked back to his reliable best and Tudor-Jones looked tidy in the middle.
Worst players- In fairness nobody stood out as bad, every performed well. Martin occasionally looked lost playing on the left but to the lads credit he got into the right places at the right times for his goals and took them both well. Cureton tried when he came on but looked half a yard too slow, bless him.

3. I think Theo played in goal

4. Yes, most definitely, on yesterday''s performance I think we could  have competed going into a season in the Championship. I think we should easily finish in the top six if not the top two, based on this performace. I''m very optimistic, hope I''m not proved wrong.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I''ve got caught out so many times following City over the last 52 years, so I''d like to ask all those on here who went to the Wigan game the following questions:

1. Based on a friendly, which isn''t that competitive to be fair, how do you rate City''s performance? marks out of 10 please.

3. Gunns performance?

Many thanks.

[/quote]1. city were competitive,although the 2 wigan goals were mistakes by us! dont think we will be punished in league 1. Wigan didnt seem that strong for a premier side, but given our position it was  a great win!2. i felt ostembor was great to see him burst forward and crossed brillantly.  3. As normal!!!4. yes!! im feeling the love!

Considering it was a friendly, we played very well and more than matched them in basically all areas of the pitch. Guilty of perhaps being a bit too deep at times, but it did pay off in a sense, the counter attacking Whaley goal was absolutely fantastic. I''d have to give it a 7 or 8 out of 10, although if it was a competitive match in a cup, im sure alot of people would be giving it 9''s and 10''s Wiz!

I hate to say it, but Semmy was very, very good yesterday. I''ve spent the close season hating him, for his lack of effort at Charlton, and how poor he''s been over the season. However, his pre-season matches would suggest he''s trying to make up for it as best as possible. Used his pace well, linked with Whaley well, got forward lots and was even effective in his passing and crossing to an extent. No one had a bad game to be fair, and all of the players showed at least some promise. Unfortunately (and i think you knew this was going to come up [:)]), Cureton. Curo Curo Curo. Just didn''t look dangerous. Was not happy to hear the boo''s when he came on, i thought it was out of order, he''s still a canary and he will always try. It''s not his fault he''s losing pace, its come with his age. Unfortunately, that lack of pace makes him look very uneffective.

3. Gunns performance?

I don''t really know what you''re asking here. Tactically, i thought it worked quite well. Martin appeared to be playing on the left wing, to help cover Drury as Wes was in a free role. Although when attacking Martin worked hard to push himself up with Holt, and his work rate was very good. He scored two goals, so i guess no one can question the tactical side of the match.

There is, but people shouldn''t get carried away. League One will not be easy, and teams wont just come to Carrow Road expecting to lose. Our chances next season could again rely heavily on injuries. Hoolahan really showed what he''s capable off and the damage he could cause in League One if given a free role. He was probably to blame for the first goal, trying to do to much with a lot of pressure on him. However, he was lively, ran everywhere, played some wonderful long and short balls (reverse pass for the Whaley goal? fantastic) and therefore keeping him fit is vital. It''s the same for any team. We need that bit of luck this season, we can''t afford the likes of Wes, Whaley etc to get injured, as it could hurt us.

On a sidenote, Whaley has scored twice in a row now. Hopefully he''ll chip in with a good amount of goals while he''s here, something Croft never managed to do consistently.

3. Gunns performance?

Many thanks.

[/quote]1. 8/10. Although a friendly, Wigan were not happy to be losing to us and resorted to some meaty challenges out of frustration.2. Hoolahan and Otsemebor stood out. The Otsemebor/ Whaley partnership could be really exciting. Drury looked back to his best and was not out of place playing against Prem players. Nobody played badly and the TEAM (amazing, we have one!) worked hard for each other.Felt very sad for JC. Clearly not going to figure this season and really needs a move to revitalise him.3. Couldn''t really judge Gunn''s performance as substitutions were more about giving people match time rather than tactics. The coaching team seem to have some got some nice partnerships building all over the pitch.4. Given we have (apparently!) decent players as back up to our first team and options to play different styles against different teams, I would have a degree of optimism......however, this is Norwich we are talking about!!! (I actually think we could finish in the top 3, but daren''t admit it!)

[quote user="hogesar"]

Considering it was a friendly, we played very well and more than matched them in basically all areas of the pitch. Guilty of perhaps being a bit too deep at times, but it did pay off in a sense, the counter attacking Whaley goal was absolutely fantastic. I''d have to give it a 7 or 8 out of 10, although if it was a competitive match in a cup, im sure alot of people would be giving it 9''s and 10''s Wiz!

I hate to say it, but Semmy was very, very good yesterday. I''ve spent the close season hating him, for his lack of effort at Charlton, and how poor he''s been over the season. However, his pre-season matches would suggest he''s trying to make up for it as best as possible. Used his pace well, linked with Whaley well, got forward lots and was even effective in his passing and crossing to an extent. No one had a bad game to be fair, and all of the players showed at least some promise. Unfortunately (and i think you knew this was going to come up [:)]), Cureton. Curo Curo Curo. Just didn''t look dangerous. Was not happy to hear the boo''s when he came on, i thought it was out of order, he''s still a canary and he will always try. It''s not his fault he''s losing pace, its come with his age. Unfortunately, that lack of pace makes him look very uneffective.

3. Gunns performance?

I don''t really know what you''re asking here. Tactically, i thought it worked quite well. Martin appeared to be playing on the left wing, to help cover Drury as Wes was in a free role. Although when attacking Martin worked hard to push himself up with Holt, and his work rate was very good. He scored two goals, so i guess no one can question the tactical side of the match.

There is, but people shouldn''t get carried away. League One will not be easy, and teams wont just come to Carrow Road expecting to lose. Our chances next season could again rely heavily on injuries. Hoolahan really showed what he''s capable off and the damage he could cause in League One if given a free role. He was probably to blame for the first goal, trying to do to much with a lot of pressure on him. However, he was lively, ran everywhere, played some wonderful long and short balls (reverse pass for the Whaley goal? fantastic) and therefore keeping him fit is vital. It''s the same for any team. We need that bit of luck this season, we can''t afford the likes of Wes, Whaley etc to get injured, as it could hurt us.

On a sidenote, Whaley has scored twice in a row now. Hopefully he''ll chip in with a good amount of goals while he''s here, something Croft never managed to do consistently.

[/quote]

Cheers hogesar, thats helped me a lot, thanks to everyone else too.[Y]

3. Gunns performance?

Many thanks.

[/quote]

1) I''d give that an 8/10. If we play as well as that this season we willfinish top 6 without doubt, Defence were strong, Wigans first goal was an individual error which put the defence on the back foot, good finish by N''Zogbia. 2nd goal was Premiership quality if I remember, quick movement and one hell of a fierce shot. Our goals were very well worked.

2) Best players: Hoolahan, Doc, Martin.

Worst: No one was bad. Least effective perhaps: Drury, Holt, Theo.

3) Was sitting in the City stand but didn''t actually see Gunny, so I''m not sure if he was there (this would suprise me though - can anyone clarify if they saw him yesterday)?

4) Very much so. Hopefully we wont play to the standards of the team we are facing, but play to our own standards.

[quote user="Largey"]3) Was sitting in the City stand but didn''t actually see Gunny, so I''m not sure if he was there (this would suprise me though - can anyone clarify if they saw him yesterday)?[/quote]Was about to say this, where was he? There was a chant of "Bryan, give us a wave" but still couldn''t see him. Butterworth was very much the prescence on the touchline.

He was sitting in the directors box wasn''t he, a few places to the left of Delia, where Roeder used to sit?

Agree with most of the thoughts above, although I thought Drury had a decent game.

He was there, and he was communicating with the touchline through Crichton, who you may have noticed had a headset on and spent hald the game looking at the directors box while talking into a mike clipped on his top....[quote user="PBTC"][quote user="Largey"]3) Was sitting in the City stand but didn''t actually see Gunny, so I''m not sure if he was there (this would suprise me though - can anyone clarify if they saw him yesterday)?[/quote]Was about to say this, where was he? There was a chant of "Bryan, give us a wave" but still couldn''t see him. Butterworth was very much the prescence on the touchline.[/quote]

It was a friendly Wiz and nothing can be gleaned from it.........

Our new signings are desperate to be noticed at this stage and will have played like enthusiastic little minnows against the Wigan "big boys" ( a joke in itself).

Lets wait until the real thing tests them and the reasons why they are other clubs'' rejects comes to light.... and Gunn once again shows why he took us down after 19 games and should never have been given the job.

It''s going to be a hard slog this season and both players and followers will soon discover they aren''t as mighty a force as they currently (and naively) think.

12th place at best.......

There is having a opposing view based on evidence, and there is being a prat.  [quote user="St. Cluck"]

Our new signings are desperate to be noticed at this stage and will have played like enthusiastic little minnows against the Wigan "big boys" ( a joke in itself).

Lets wait until the real thing tests them and the reasons why they are other clubs'' rejects comes to light.... and Gunn once again shows why he took us down after 19 games and should never have been given the job.

It''s going to be a hard slog this season and both players and followers will soon discover they aren''t as mighty a force as they currently (and naively) think.

[/quote]

[quote user="St. Cluck"]

[/quote]

YEAH *punches the air and clenches fists*, you''ve got me really up for the new season.  Blimey, I would imagine they employed you as a motivational speaker during the war......

Also worth saying that the Prem season begins a week later, so Wigan will hardly have been firing on all cylinders. Obviously it''s better to win the pre-season games than lose them, but I don''t think they tell you much.

[quote user="ref89"]There is having a opposing view based on evidence, and there is being a prat.  [quote user="St. Cluck"]

[/quote][/quote]Don''t ever give St Cluck a chance to say "I told you so"......this numpty will rub it in the real supporters faces as soon as he gets a chance. Probably by digging through the message board and dragging up old posts where he made a sporadic, ill informed statement that relates to whatever situation we''re in at the time.  A bit like the bible, where you can find an excuse not to do something or a justification for just about any situation. It''s pathetic all this one upmanship from some people on this board. Utter ego maniac.....Honestly mate, you need to get out more.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="hogesar"]

3. Gunns performance?

[/quote]

Cheers hogesar, thats helped me a lot, thanks to everyone else too.[Y]

[/quote]Anytime Wiz [:D]

[quote user="CashCasinoCrane"][quote user="ref89"]There is having a opposing view based on evidence, and there is being a prat. 

[quote user="St. Cluck"]

[/quote][/quote]

Don''t ever give St Cluck a chance to say "I told you so"......this numpty will rub it in the real supporters faces as soon as he gets a chance. Probably by digging through the message board and dragging up old posts where he made a sporadic, ill informed statement that relates to whatever situation we''re in at the time.  A bit like the bible, where you can find an excuse not to do something or a justification for just about any situation. It''s pathetic all this one upmanship from some people on this board. Utter ego maniac.....Honestly mate, you need to get out more.
[/quote]

Trouble is I''ve yet to be proved wrong in all this time. Nervous I might be right yet again?

Being the "Special One" brings with it a degree of responsibility.... 

[quote user="St. Cluck"][quote user="CashCasinoCrane"][quote user="ref89"]There is having a opposing view based on evidence, and there is being a prat.  [quote user="St. Cluck"]

[/quote][/quote]Don''t ever give St Cluck a chance to say "I told you so"......this numpty will rub it in the real supporters faces as soon as he gets a chance. Probably by digging through the message board and dragging up old posts where he made a sporadic, ill informed statement that relates to whatever situation we''re in at the time.  A bit like the bible, where you can find an excuse not to do something or a justification for just about any situation. It''s pathetic all this one upmanship from some people on this board. Utter ego maniac.....Honestly mate, you need to get out more.[/quote]

Trouble is I''ve yet to be proved wrong in all this time. Nervous I might be right yet again?

[/quote]Not nervous, I just couldn''t bare the thought of you inflating your ego even more with the possibility you may be right!!! You won''t throw it in my face though, because I never make bold predictions on this board about where we''ll end up or what''ll happen. I don''t know if you even go to games to be honest......Still, gotta love your unwavering confidence in your psychic ability! [:O]

[quote user="St. Cluck"][quote user="CashCasinoCrane"][quote user="ref89"]There is having a opposing view based on evidence, and there is being a prat. 

[quote user="St. Cluck"]

[/quote][/quote]

Don''t ever give St Cluck a chance to say "I told you so"......this numpty will rub it in the real supporters faces as soon as he gets a chance. Probably by digging through the message board and dragging up old posts where he made a sporadic, ill informed statement that relates to whatever situation we''re in at the time.  A bit like the bible, where you can find an excuse not to do something or a justification for just about any situation. It''s pathetic all this one upmanship from some people on this board. Utter ego maniac.....Honestly mate, you need to get out more.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, you''re "special" all right.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Also worth saying that the Prem season begins a week later, so Wigan will hardly have been firing on all cylinders. Obviously it''s better to win the pre-season games than lose them, but I don''t think they tell you much.[/quote]Yeah, but they had thumped Preston the week before, so unless Preston were truly pants then they must have been firing on most cylinders.

[quote user="No Quarter"][quote user="St. Cluck"]

[/quote]

YEAH *punches the air and clenches fists*, you''ve got me really up for the new season.  Blimey, I would imagine they employed you as a motivational speaker during the war......

[/quote]It''s called "projection" No Quarter.He can''t deal with the fact that not everyone shares his bitter, jaded view of our club and his sad empty life generally.Therefore he tries to spread his personal misery wherever he goes. Bet he''s a right laugh at a party!

In some respects Cluck is right. Not much can be taken from friendlies and the season will be a slog. However he is as per usual wrong on other points. For example, I dont see many of our players as other teams rejects. Most of the ones landed on frees were offered deals by their clubs. Also while we are in no real position to say we are definatley going back up, Cluck is no more clued up to say we wont. Its all guess work. But on one unfortunate fact Cluck has a point, his negative predicitons have had a habit of being right in recent seasons.

[quote user="Cluck"]

[/quote]  Bloody hell! Not so much a case of glass half empty! poor b@@ger doesn''t even have a glass [:P]

[quote user="ref89"]There is having a opposing view based on evidence, and there is being a prat. 

[quote user="St. Cluck"]

[/quote][/quote]

lol i know

He is a bit of a chump.

3. Gunns performance?

Many thanks.

[/quote]

1.   7/8

2.   Best: Hoolahan and Otsemobor
      Worst: (Harsh because nobody was ''bad'', but ...) Hughes and Holt (imo).

3.   4-5-1 was an odd one, apart from that its a friendly. Can''t judge a manager in a friendly.

4. Definately.

[quote user="king canary"]In some respects Cluck is right. Not much can be taken from friendlies and the season will be a slog. However he is as per usual wrong on other points. For example, I dont see many of our players as other teams rejects. Most of the ones landed on frees were offered deals by their clubs. Also while we are in no real position to say we are definatley going back up, Cluck is no more clued up to say we wont. Its all guess work. But on one unfortunate fact Cluck has a point, his negative predicitons have had a habit of being right in recent seasons.[/quote]

Is there a reason why Cluck (or, indeed, Wiz) didn''t come to Carrow Road yesterday to judge for himself what we were like?

Like I''ve already said.... if I''m ever wrong in my expectations I will allow you to point it out to me. So far that hasn''t happened has it?

I can quite easily live with being considered "the special one" on this forum .... but it seems many of you lot can''t (or won''t) accept it.

That is hardly my fault .........