Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Leeds Want Hoolahan... :(

[quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="NottsCanary"]Fact of the matter is that we need to keep him, I wouldnt say that he is world class or even maybe prem standard! However, I think after seeing several games that he is one of our best players, or is our best player! Even if oyu didnt put it down to skill, he is one of the few players that constantly wants the ball, and works hard. I think we shouldnt even consider selling him![/quote]

Yes, but not at any cost. Leeds are a much bigger club than Norwich and must be firmer favourites than us for auto promotion so there will clearly be an attraction for Hoolahan and, of course, he isn''t getting any younger.

[/quote]

Leeds are not that much bigger than us these days and IMHO are not that great a bet for promotion having seen them play a few times last season. yes they are one of the favourites but have no better chance than us. If we were to accept an offer it will need to be a very big one!

[/quote]

I agree that Leeds have been langushing in the lower divisions for a few seasons now but there is no disputing their pedigree, the huge size of their fan base and their potential. IMO Leeds are a much bigger club than Norwich from whatever pespective you look from. That''s not to belittle Norwich, I just think that it''s fact. If Norwich fail to gain promotion this season I guess that attendances here will plummet. If you like that will be the true perspective. In any case, Hoolahan has got to secure his future so if Leeds offer him a much better financial deal than we are able to then the writing will be on the wall.

[/quote]

Thats why half their ground was shut last season as their huge fan base couldn''t be arsed to turn up???????, Wheres we have still turned up week in week out even when we were awful!!!!!!!.

That aside both teams are were they are s who is the biggest club is irelevent as is history as that''s what it is history in the past!!!.

Hoolahan won''t go to leeds as  i bet all the money for delph will go to paying off their very large debits, Now that is something about leeds which is bigger then us.........LOL!!!!

[quote user="chocolate nutter"][quote user="Bob Franklin"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bob Franklin"]

[quote user="NottsCanary"]Fact of the matter is that we need to keep him, I wouldnt say that he is world class or even maybe prem standard! However, I think after seeing several games that he is one of our best players, or is our best player! Even if oyu didnt put it down to skill, he is one of the few players that constantly wants the ball, and works hard. I think we shouldnt even consider selling him![/quote]

Yes, but not at any cost. Leeds are a much bigger club than Norwich and must be firmer favourites than us for auto promotion so there will clearly be an attraction for Hoolahan and, of course, he isn''t getting any younger.

[/quote]

Leeds are not that much bigger than us these days and IMHO are not that great a bet for promotion having seen them play a few times last season. yes they are one of the favourites but have no better chance than us. If we were to accept an offer it will need to be a very big one!

[/quote]

I agree that Leeds have been langushing in the lower divisions for a few seasons now but there is no disputing their pedigree, the huge size of their fan base and their potential. IMO Leeds are a much bigger club than Norwich from whatever pespective you look from. That''s not to belittle Norwich, I just think that it''s fact. If Norwich fail to gain promotion this season I guess that attendances here will plummet. If you like that will be the true perspective. In any case, Hoolahan has got to secure his future so if Leeds offer him a much better financial deal than we are able to then the writing will be on the wall.

[/quote]

Thats why half their ground was shut last season as their huge fan base couldn''t be arsed to turn up???????, Wheres we have still turned up week in week out even when we were awful!!!!!!!.

That aside both teams are were they are s who is the biggest club is irelevent as is history as that''s what it is history in the past!!!.

Hoolahan won''t go to leeds as  i bet all the money for delph will go to paying off their very large debits, Now that is something about leeds which is bigger then us.........LOL!!!!

[/quote]

Good post mate, made me smile anyway.

[quote user="hogesar"]Uncle being a Leeds fan, i''ll quote what he said to me online:

"Apparently So Grayson Was With Him @ Blackpool And Wants Him Onboard Lol All Over Elland Road Yesterday M8 Apparently Hes The Man To Replace Delph"

Lets be honest, it''s not like they couldn''t afford him. Thoughts?
[/quote]

He is better placed at Norwich,

Facts are 3 years in league 1 and still there! Plus elland road and leeds is a dump hole!

Hoolahan will be a Norwich player for this season!

Hoolahan wants to play in the Prem and he will go wherever he thinks he can do this if we do not show that we are on the way back up (at least to the champ).  I think our performances in pre-season and the signings will be helping people like him to see a light at the end of the tunnel and so do not think he will go to Leeds in this transfer window.

Come Jan if we are mid table and they are riding high and still interested then it might be another story.

I and a huge number of supporters would be very, very angry if Hoolahan goes in this transfer window.I know ''money talks'' and I would not be in the least bit surprised to find that the idiot Doncaster had sold us short yet again with a sell on clause but I also think the new Board are hyper sensitive to public opinion at the moment. For once, I think that the more people who holler and shout about this, the more chance there is of the Board keping him.On the positive side and just in case they read this, they have the perfect opportunity to demonstrate that things really have changed and give themselves a massive boost in goodwill by coming out and saying Wes is not for sale and we have offered him a new, extended, contract (with no sell on clause!).If, after all this, the player wants to move (and assuming there isn''t a sell on clause), we should start the bidding at £2m and see who is interested. (Although, from his body language in pre-season, he doesn''t look like somebody who wants away- perhaps he is looking forward to the new season with, effectively, a team built around him...)Anyway, let''s keep the post count going on this subject and take every opportunity to make sure the Board know how we feel...when are the supporter''s groups meeting the Board?

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"]

[quote user="hogesar"]Uncle being a Leeds fan, i''ll quote what he said to me online:

"Apparently So Grayson Was With Him @ Blackpool And Wants Him Onboard Lol All Over Elland Road Yesterday M8 Apparently Hes The Man To Replace Delph"

Lets be honest, it''s not like they couldn''t afford him. Thoughts?
[/quote]

He is better placed at Norwich,

Facts are 3 years in league 1 and still there! Plus elland road and leeds is a dump hole!

Hoolahan will be a Norwich player for this season!

[/quote]Hopefully he will and could be big difference between promotion or not.

If Wes thinks about it he must realise that its taken him a whole season to bed in at Norwich, including some very bad patches, and that the side is now effectively built around him. Whether Leeds or any other side would be prepared to give him the freedom he has in our system is debatable. He is very much a confidence player and, as we''ve seen, when his confidence is low he can be very ordinary (not least because he is one of the most one footed professional footballers I have ever seen!). Moving and  starting again would be a huge risk for him.

Isn''t there a huge amount of "gun jumping" going on here?

The whole thing about keeping Hoolahan from Gunn was obviously prompted by a question from a jurno and although he didn''t say he wouldn''t sell him, it was as strong a comment as could be reasonably made. Gunn has often mentioned that players that want to leave will be sold, and the old addage "money talks" is classic managerspeak (like newspeak but more mention of sick parrots and games of two half etc).

There is a link between Grayson and Hoolahan so that will draw rumour but this whole things seems to come from message board chatter. Until something more solid emerges it''s probably best to ignore it all and assume Hoolahan will be a Norwich player for the foreseeable future.

He is one of our highest earners as Roeder made a lot of effort to lure him from Blackpool, and unless there is a jump up a league he will probably be happy with his lot right now, he is certainly playing like he is.

In no way would he be a "replacement for Delph" as they are entirely different kinds of players and it sounds more like the Leed''s fans (or maybe just the one) want Hoolahan.

They may be bigger but....

Leeds United 24,197
Norwich City    24,542Assuming our gates stay the same as they did last seasonIf I was him and considering the pre season I would take a bird in the hand view if we keep going like we are he
  • In what looks like a really good team
  • plays in a free role
  • settled in the area
It would be a risk to move to leeds better to wait until jan and then go to a champ club.Though if a bid of around a mill comes in and they will pay him mega bucks I would take that if i was him since you could break your leg in the first game.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

The whole thing about keeping Hoolahan from Gunn was obviously prompted by a question from a jurno and although he didn''t say he wouldn''t sell him, it was as strong a comment as could be reasonably made. Gunn has often mentioned that players that want to leave will be sold, and the old addage "money talks" is classic managerspeak (like newspeak but more mention of sick parrots and games of two half etc).

There is a link between Grayson and Hoolahan so that will draw rumour but this whole things seems to come from message board chatter. Until something more solid emerges it''s probably best to ignore it all and assume Hoolahan will be a Norwich player for the foreseeable future.

He is one of our highest earners as Roeder made a lot of effort to lure him from Blackpool, and unless there is a jump up a league he will probably be happy with his lot right now, he is certainly playing like he is.

In no way would he be a "replacement for Delph" as they are entirely different kinds of players and it sounds more like the Leed''s fans (or maybe just the one) want Hoolahan.

[/quote]You are absolutely right in what you say about ''gun jumping'' and how this whole thing started (thank you Archant) but my trust in the Board is very conditional at the moment and I can just see the whole business taking on a momentum of its own and, before we know it, ''we tried our best, but what could we do?''.I just thought it would do no harm to make a ''pre-emptive strike'' so that the Board know that any move would be highly unpopular amongst their ''customers''.

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]I and a huge number of supporters would be very, very angry if Hoolahan goes in this transfer window.

I know ''money talks'' and I would not be in the least bit surprised to find that the idiot Doncaster had sold us short yet again with a sell on clause but I also think the new Board are hyper sensitive to public opinion at the moment. For once, I think that the more people who holler and shout about this, the more chance there is of the Board keping him.

On the positive side and just in case they read this, they have the perfect opportunity to demonstrate that things really have changed and give themselves a massive boost in goodwill by coming out and saying Wes is not for sale and we have offered him a new, extended, contract (with no sell on clause!).

If, after all this, the player wants to move (and assuming there isn''t a sell on clause), we should start the bidding at £2m and see who is interested. (Although, from his body language in pre-season, he doesn''t look like somebody who wants away- perhaps he is looking forward to the new season with, effectively, a team built around him...)

Anyway, let''s keep the post count going on this subject and take every opportunity to make sure the Board know how we feel...when are the supporter''s groups meeting the Board?
[/quote]

Come on YY, you know that "Sell-on clauses are a fact of footballing life" (Only if the name of your club starts with an "N" and ends with a "CH" of course.....[:S]).....

If Leeds are the only club interested in Wes than that suits me fine.

He won''t be leaving for another club in this league.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]I and a huge number of supporters would be very, very angry if Hoolahan goes in this transfer window.I know ''money talks'' and I would not be in the least bit surprised to find that the idiot Doncaster had sold us short yet again with a sell on clause but I also think the new Board are hyper sensitive to public opinion at the moment. For once, I think that the more people who holler and shout about this, the more chance there is of the Board keping him.On the positive side and just in case they read this, they have the perfect opportunity to demonstrate that things really have changed and give themselves a massive boost in goodwill by coming out and saying Wes is not for sale and we have offered him a new, extended, contract (with no sell on clause!).If, after all this, the player wants to move (and assuming there isn''t a sell on clause), we should start the bidding at £2m and see who is interested. (Although, from his body language in pre-season, he doesn''t look like somebody who wants away- perhaps he is looking forward to the new season with, effectively, a team built around him...)Anyway, let''s keep the post count going on this subject and take every opportunity to make sure the Board know how we feel...when are the supporter''s groups meeting the Board?[/quote]

Come on YY, you know that "Sell-on clauses are a fact of footballing life" (Only if the name of your club starts with an "N" and ends with a "CH" of course.....[:S]).....

[/quote]Of all the mismanagement that has taken place in the last few years, this is the piece that really annoys me! You would think that a guy who had legal training would manage to put together a contract that worked to his employer''s benefit..... but no, time and again we have ended up short changed while agents, players and other managers have laughed at us.Everybody understands that players have a price and, if from their own perspective, they are bettering their career by moving to a higher division or higher profile club then, in the end, there''s not much you can do about it. At least, if our club receives a decent wad for a replacement, it sweetens the pill. What really rankles though is when we either get nothing because a contract was allowed to expire or a derisory amount because of a penal sell on clause- rank incompetence in my view!

YY, to be honest if there was evidence of sell-on clauses which benefit the player were widespread in the game i`d be the first to admit old Doomy was right.  There really isn`t, and i remember even at the time he made the above quote West Brom were auctioning off 3 players for about £15m which effectively bankrolled their promotion.  Look at Leeds- not a sell-on clause in sight for Delph or Beckford.

IMO Doomy was more than happy with sell-on clauses because in his spinny little mind he realised he could flog a player off for a profit and then claim there was nothing the club could do about it because of that nasty sell-on clause. 

I`m confident that with someone who`s actually experienced and knows something about football now in charge we`ll see a clear change- it just obviously should have happened 3-4 years ago.

I can understand why we had to have a sell-on clause with earnshaw. As so often under Worthy/Doncaster we were once again operating last minute in the transfer window having sold our best striker and were so desperate we probably had to agree to anything he asked for. I think having a sell-on clause where you are trying to entice a player from a prem club to one which has been relegated (as was the case with Earnshaw) is more common. In that case though the problem was the level of the sell-on clause which basically precluded us ever getting any profit on the player. It was once again therefore a short term, plastering over the cracks type approach.

I would, for example, not have any problem if Hoolahan had a sell-on clause in his contract saying he could go for £5million if we were still in the championship which, given we got him dirt cheap, would in all probability have represented good business even if he had been a smash hit. I''m not saying I would like it or have it if it could be at all avoided but that would seem like a reasonable clause to have in a contract where a player has joined on the basis we would be pushing for promotion.

alrite, lets get a bit of clarity yere, wes is not gods gift but at the same time he is up there with the best players in this league and more importantly players who would happily play in this league. It''s no coincidence that the gunn revival last season stopped when wes got injured as he gives us the creative streak we so badly lack without him.

leeds are also our biggest rival in league 1 and this adds to it.

Therefore i think it would be stupid to sell him unless we can get the money to buy a class replacement and another player to better the 1st team with the funds. He''s happy and in contract here and we have no real financial need to sell him.

Because of this, i''ll be livid if he goes for any less than £1.5 million or we don''t get 2 class new players with the money, especially if he goes to Leeds. Because of that, they''re better looking elsewhere as are we. Any clause would be for champ or higher teams only.

[quote user="First Wizard"]To sell to our main rivals would be crass stupidity![/quote]Exactly. Selling him to a Championship club would hinder are chances enough, but to do it to a league rival would make matters even worse.I don''t think we should sell him at all. We talk about how much money promotion means, but on top of that we have to remember he''s more than capable of doing a job in the Championship.

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

You are absolutely right in what you say about ''gun jumping'' and how this whole thing started (thank you Archant) but my trust in the Board is very conditional at the moment and I can just see the whole business taking on a momentum of its own and, before we know it, ''we tried our best, but what could we do?''.

I just thought it would do no harm to make a ''pre-emptive strike'' so that the Board know that any move would be highly unpopular amongst their ''customers''.

[/quote]

And there was me thinking that having an Archant board member might avoid this.....

Of course there is nothing concrete in the rumors but I will say this............

If we sell it will blow my mind after we have spent the whole of the pre-season basically playing a style/formation which suits Hoolahan role..........

Some advice for the board..........if we sell Hoolahan (a) it better be for a shed load of money (b) Hucks better be walking in the door just as Hoolahan is walking out............

Anything short of the above would probably kill a lot of the goodwill the club has built with the fans over the summer.........

Saying that......... Hoolahan is the kind of player you build your team around which leads to many problems..............

Ironically before the pre-season most people were not too upset if we let Hoolahan go. (most were in favor of swapping Hoolahan for Alan Lee)

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]alrite, lets get a bit of clarity yere, wes is not gods gift but at the same time he is up there with the best players in this league and more importantly players who would happily play in this league. It''s no coincidence that the gunn revival last season stopped when wes got injured as he gives us the creative streak we so badly lack without him. leeds are also our biggest rival in league 1 and this adds to it. Therefore i think it would be stupid to sell him unless we can get the money to buy a class replacement and another player to better the 1st team with the funds. He''s happy and in contract here and we have no real financial need to sell him. Because of this, i''ll be livid if he goes for any less than £1.5 million or we don''t get 2 class new players with the money, especially if he goes to Leeds. Because of that, they''re better looking elsewhere as are we. Any clause would be for champ or higher teams only.[/quote]

Totally agree Jim, most of the rest of the squad assembled will help us compete in this league, Hoolahan''s bit of creativity and class are the key to getting out of it. Selling him would be bad, selling him to a club that''s going to be competing for one of the two automatic promotion spots would be very bad, and we don''t have a good track record of spending transfer money gained from selling players.

Hypothetically of course.   What if the board did sell Wes in the Jan transfer window, but softened the blow with bringing Hucks back.  Who would be happy with this?

As far as i''m concerned we need to build our team round Wes - Hucks is past it, we need to move.  Although I would not be adverse to a coaching role for him.

"Come on YY, you know that "Sell-on clauses are a fact of footballing life" (Only if the name of your club starts with an "N" and ends with a "CH" of course....."

Northwich?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

YY, to be honest if there was evidence of sell-on clauses which benefit the player were widespread in the game i`d be the first to admit old Doomy was right.  There really isn`t, and i remember even at the time he made the above quote West Brom were auctioning off 3 players for about £15m which effectively bankrolled their promotion.  Look at Leeds- not a sell-on clause in sight for Delph or Beckford.

IMO Doomy was more than happy with sell-on clauses because in his spinny little mind he realised he could flog a player off for a profit and then claim there was nothing the club could do about it because of that nasty sell-on clause. 

I`m confident that with someone who`s actually experienced and knows something about football now in charge we`ll see a clear change- it just obviously should have happened 3-4 years ago.

[/quote]Bradford actually got around 650k in sell on clauses after Delph''s transfer to Villa