Sign in to follow this  
Boba Fett

Best away visits over the years

Ok so we know which grounds and fans are a bit dodgy but on a consistant basis which clubs have you visited that have been genuinely good afternoon/evenings out for fans/boozers/ground etc?

For me Huddersfield was always a good away ground although often rubbish results, no problems in pubs decent ground and facilities and decent funny and welcoming  fans. 

Also i have enjoyed Loftus Road a few time for the same reasons.  The last one that springs to mind is Fulham!  Very civil usually loads of fans crammed into 2 pubs, good banter with fulham fans and decent location (Near the church from the Omen dont ya know!) 

Fulham (twice) was good, barring the results!

Always thought Sheffield Wednesday was a decent place having been there 3 times and had no problems, so I was suprised to see it up as one of the "worst". Similarly, had no problems with the Chelsea fans in the Prem season - a couple even said we were one of the best teams to go there that season despite getting thumped 4-0!

The Play-off Final was a good trip with opposition fans who came across as decent for the afteroon at least! But for me the best away match would be Southampton in the Premiership year again. Although, yet again the result was a let down - thrilling match though...

Oh and to continue "going against the grain", Leeds a couple of years ago when we drew 2-2 was pretty decent. In truth their fans came off suprisingly well!

I always enjoyed going to Crewe, the fans always seemed friendly and the ground was traditional, also liked going to Ninian Park - atmosphere was always good and the option of terracing was a nice change to the normal away-day, went there a number of times over the years and never had any problems with the locals.

Burnley away, we won 5-2 and i had £5 on us scoring 3 or more and when we left the ground heard i''d picked the winner & a each way 2nd place on the National.  Total winnings just over £380 and it was really the result that cemented the belief we were going up champions

Liverpool 1976 (we won 3-1)

Everton 1993 (we won 5-1)

Munich 1993

Hard to beat those, obviously the results made it but would also mention the Inter game in Europe as well.

Sheff Wed (A), last game of the season 2 seasons ago, got hammered but cracking atmosphere and Hucks'' last game for City and Dions'' last one in football. Dion got the send off he deserved just a sham Hux didn''t.

Vitesse Arnham and whilst on one hand it seems like last week on the other hand it seems like a lifetime ago. 

On the domestic front the 5-3 at Burnley was an absolute riot as was the 4 - 4 at Rotherham earlier in the same season. 

The Kops last stand was a good one, Jerry doing the business again. 

4 -2 at Highbury on the opening day of the season Marco Van Robbins arriving in grand style. 

Wembley 1985. 

It keeps you going to games though

Birmingham away last year was a good''un! And Notts Forest! Awesome atmosphere at both!

Barnsley the year we got to the play offs has to be my favourite ever away day, we won 2-0 and the atmosphere was immense. Four and a half thousand of us singing from start to finish, they were relegated and there was a bit of on pitch entertainment from their fans at the end. Grimsby away in the snow in the milk cup in 1985 was another good one, I remember getting back on the coach at one in the morning and the doors on my Triumph Dolomite sprint were frozen shut it was that cold but at least we won the match so it wasn''t all bad.

Leicester away the season they went up to the Prem with Pompey. Drew 1-1 (Mark Rivers) It was like a morgue the sight of 3000 Norwich fans on their feet singing ''Stand up if you''re still alive'' even had the local plod laughing.

Reading away in the promotion season.. the ball hit the ref on the back of the head and Mullers scored from the rebound.. the away end went ballistic! i dont think i have ever seen us celebrate an away goal like that before.. even against Ipswich...

jas :)

[quote user="Bury Green"]

The Kops last stand was a good one,[/quote]

Rats....I totally overlooked that one....great day out, cracking atmosphere and when Jerry scored the Kop singing ''You''re supposed to let us win'' typified the Scouse rascals.

Burnley away 5-3. Great day, great win and great atmosphere. Could tell all the real hardcore fans where there that day.

Rotherham away was also a classic.

Going back a few years, Barnsley away when we sent them down. We won 2-0 to keep our play-off hope a alive. Great days!

Nottingham Forest 2008 when we won 2-1 with 10 men. When matty patty scored that goal in front of us it was the best atmosphere ever!A close second goes to ched evans goal against ipswich when we lost (my first visit to portaloo road)

ipswich away 82/83 when peter slasher mendham hit two and martin o`niell got the winner in the last minute ( i think ). Was boxing day game too .

I remember that one - I was staying with my partner at her sister''s just the other side of Uttoxeter and had to hitch to the game. Got a lift with a bloke from King''s Lynn (my home town), met my mate for a pint before the game, thoroughly enjoyed the game (was it our first away win of the season?). then spookily flagged down the same bloke on his way back to Uttoxeter!

Man U 1990 midweek in the rain

Arsenal 4-2 1992  (possibly my favourite game ever.  we couldn''t stop coming from behind to win that season!)

Chelsea 3-2 when Beasant was at fault for all 3 goals

Wolves play-off 2nd leg (the tension when they scored was torturous but when the whistle blew........)

Barnsley in play-off season

Watford in promotion season (sang every ncfc song in history on train back to london-even "Chase out"!

West Ham recent prem season (cracking support from Norwich, standing and singing all game)

Ipswich (every game before the stupid sunday kick-offs, atmosphere used to be white hot.  Particularly remember Cureton with green hair!)

Always enjoyed Grimsby, especially FA cup despite terrible performance

trips to sheffield are always good, despite the results, and the atmosphere at crewe in 03 was very good.often find a good night out in the most random of games too, the luton away on a tuesday night wasnt bad for it and so was the 4-4 at rotherham.

[quote user="Iwans Left Foot"]Ipswich away 2008 was hardly a good away day![/quote]No it wasnt that why i said cheds goal not the match

After much consideration, I''d have to go for the great 3-2 come back at the Bridge. Flecky''s badge kissing and Dave Pheasant''s career suicide all viewed from pleasingly curved dilapidated terracing.

Marvellous stuff.

Major

lets make every away game this season a good one with lots of standing and singing  [;)]

Bramall Lane circa ''86. Ken Brown''s brilliant team hammered the Blunts 5-2. Mind you, it was a rather worrying walk to the railway station after the game though. The natives were none too amused by the scoreline!