Sign in to follow this  
Rustys 1st Touch

Starting XI vs Colchester

What starting XI do you think we will put out against Colchester? Heres my prediction.                                              TheoklitosOtsemobor                Doherty                    Nelson                 Drury

Whalley                     OTJ                          Hughes                Hoolahan

Holt                          MartinSubs: Alnwick, Askou, Gill, Maric, Lappin.

GK - Theo

RB - Semmy

CB - Doc

CB - Nelson

LB - Driry

RM - Whaley

CM - OTJ

CM - Gill

LM - Hoolahan

St - Holt

ST Martin

Alnwick, Spillane, Hughes, Cody, WLY, Askou and Maric.

Wiggins isn''t fit yet, i''d probably have the same team as you (which is what i think Gunn will do too) plus McDonald and Spillane on the bench.

I think Hughes will be ahead of Gill/Adeyemi as he seemed to be on set piece duties based on the Wigan game. Not sure what Cody''s fitness levels are like as he hasn''t played much pre season. Without him our bench lacks a bit of pace to test the defense at the end of the game.

I''m expecting Gill to be first choice as Gunn made him a vice-captain and him and OTJ worked together brilliantly against Palace.

I think Hughes is the preferred option in midfield (once fully fit). Guessing he made Gill and Nelson vice captains as Gill might not be on the pitch at all times, but is a natural leader.

Also wouldn''t be surprised to see 3 in middle for some games with just Holt upfront. Add to that Gill can also do a job on the right, not as a quick winger but something a little more solid.

Nice to have so many options and a little flexibility.

I would see this lineup with subs in brackets:

Theoklitos (Alnwick)

Ostembor (Spillane)
Doherty
Askou (to negate Platt''s height advantage)
Drury

Whaley (McVeigh)
Tudur Jones
Gill (Hughes)
Hoolahan (Lappin) (also in case Drury''s hurt)

Holt (Maric)
Martin (McDonald)

Adeyemi''s chance will come, I''m sure, but he''s still 17 and this game will be crucial to get the season started right. Martin deserves to keep his place after 2 goals against Wigan.

With a mid-week match coming up, Holt and Maric can share the CF role while McDonald''s pace could tell in the second half if Martin tires.

The other subs get the nod for their versatility and ability to cover various positions.

My thoughts anyway.

GK: Theoklitos

RB: Otsemobor

CB: Doherty

CB: Askou

LB: Drury

RM: Whaley

CM: Tudur Jones

CM: Gill

LM: Hoolahan

ST: Holt

ST: Martin

Subs: Alnwick, Nelson, Hughes, McVeigh/Adayemi, Maric, McDonald

Theo DruryDoc''ersNelson (Should he be 100% if not Askou)OstseeeemmborrrrrrrrHoola HoopOTJFish-GillWhaleyHolt Martin - with a 100% appearnce from Maric. Subs, I don''t care. As long as we have decent cover.I''d like to see Adeymi play a league game early, and i''d also like to see how WLY gets on again, in front of CR.

Theo

Spillaine, Doc, Askou, Drury

Whaley, OTJ, Gil, Hools

Holt, Maric / Martin (both at some point for me).

Subs: Rudd, Nelson, Semmy, Cody, Martin / Maric (see above), Hughes, Adeyemi or WLY

THEOKLITIS

OTSEMOBOR DOHERTY NELSON DRURY

WHALEY TUDUR-JONES HUGHES HOOLAHAN

MARTIN HOLT

SUBS: ALWNICK, ASKOU, SPILLANE, GILL, MCDONALD, MARIC, CURETON

Key Notes:

Otsemobor - deserves a chance after his performance against Wigan

Martin - ditto

My guess is:TheoOtsemobor - Doc - Askou - DruryWhaley - Gill - Tudor Jones - HoolahanMartin - HoltSubs: Alnwick, Nelson, Hughes, Spillane, Cureton, Maric, AdeyemiWe have (on paper) a much stronger squad than last season. In addition to the players mentioned we have good players like: McDonald, Stefanovic, Wiggins, McVeigh and Lappin.We also have some young promising players such as Dumic, Stephens, Rudd and Steer.And remember that officially we still have Russell and Pattison - who both are quality players at this level.I think we will be League 1 champions. Normally I am much more pessimistic (before last season I thought we would be relegated, and I was correct).

I agree with most of that but I think McVeigh would be on the bench ahead of Cureton. No disrespect to the guy but McVeigh has more to his game and can play wide, in the hole or up front. Cureton believe it or not is only a striker although his shots seem more like defencive clearences these days and doesnt seem to make an impact from the bench either.

Theo

Ots   Doc   Nelson   Drury

Whaley   OTJ Gill    Hoolahan

Martin     Holt

Subs

Alnwick  Spillane Askou Hughes WLY Maric Macdonald

Are 3 question marks for me:

1. Has Semi done enough pre-season to get the nod over Spillane?

2. Hughes or Gill in midfield or will he play Hooly in the hole and play both?

3. If 4-4-2 who gets the nod between Maric and Martin?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Would say that question should be the other way round..

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]After Otsemobor''s antics last season? For me at the start of pre-season, the right back spot was Spillane''s to lose.

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree. Gunn put out what at the time was his strongest line-up against Palace and for me at that point Spillane was in the box seat for the right back birth. Otsemabor did, however, do very well when he came on and by all accounts had a great game against Wigan so i think its really hard to call. If he''s on his game I would go with Otsemabor for his pace going forward but Spillane gives us even more physical presence, some real aggression and is a better defender!

Martin/Maric also very hard to call. Maric has clearly not been brought in to sit on the bench but would be very harsh to drop Martin after 2 goals at the weekend!

Lest we forget this was the team that lost to Charlton in the Cup, less than eight months ago:

Marshall

Otsemobor Omozusi Doherty Drury

Croft Fotheringham Clingan Bell

Cort Lupoli

Subs: Nelson Bertrand Lappin Russell Hoolahan Pattison Smith

I think I would prefer all the above options to the team above.

It''s good to see competition for places and some better quality at the club.

Only three of the starting line up and three (plus Russell) of the subs still here.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]great! Yet another starting 11 thread![/quote]

It clearly states "Starting XI" in the thread title so why read it and then post on it if it is of no interest to you?

I would go with:

Theoklitos

Spillane, Nelson, Doherty, Drury

Whaley, OTJ, Gill, Hoolahan

Maric, Holt

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]great! Yet another starting 11 thread![/quote]

Yes, but this one''s actually relevant, since its been started prior to an actual game, rather than a month ago like some...

Its a hard one this, I''ll be having a crack tonight...