Sign in to follow this  
Captain Controversy

Pretty dissapointed about Stefanovic

Saw him a couple of times last season before his injury, and particulary against brum he was immense. Shame hes going I think. Not much love for him on here, but I feel he would have been awesome in this league.However - Im going on sat! First ever ''division 3'' match - and I''m looking forward to it. I even have optimism!

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

Is Stef and all the other high wage earners being forced out ?

All the latest chat about Hoolihan is almost inviting a bid !

[/quote]

I reckon that''s a bullseye Wazzy.......

A 34 year-old  who lacks pace, has just had a very serious injury, and who is on high wages despite today publically saying he "wants out"...

Or significantly younger defenders in Jens Askou AND Michael Nelson on League One wages, who turned down other clubs to come here...

I know exactly who I''d choose. Stefanovic wasn''t forced out, he merely wanted to leave.

I''m at a loss as to why people are agonising so much over his departure? Last season he gave away a host of penalties, whilst gettting sent off much more regularly than Doherty, yet the latter is the one constantly criticised. Something not quite right there...

Losing Pattison/Russel/Stefanovic is no bad thing in my opinion. Yes Dejan was a fine player at his peak, but that is long gone, and none of those 3 would have made any real impact on my first team squad if I was in charge. When they''re on high wages and not going to be involved, they have to go. Wouldn''t be too suprised (and none too disappointed either) if Cureton was next.

As long as we keep everyone we''ve got (ie Hoolahan and co) other than Russel/Stefanovic & maybe Cureton, we will be more than fine.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]

A 34 year-old  who lacks pace, has just had a very serious injury, and who is on high wages despite today publically saying he "wants out"...

Or significantly younger defenders in Jens Askou AND Michael Nelson on League One wages, who turned down other clubs to come here...

I know exactly who I''d choose. Stefanovic wasn''t forced out, he merely wanted to leave.

I''m at a loss as to why people are agonising so much over his departure? Last season he gave away a host of penalties, whilst gettting sent off much more regularly than Doherty, yet the latter is the one constantly criticised. Something not quite right there...

Losing Pattison/Russel/Stefanovic is no bad thing in my opinion. Yes Dejan was a fine player at his peak, but that is long gone, and none of those 3 would have made any real impact on my first team squad if I was in charge. When they''re on high wages and not going to be involved, they have to go. Wouldn''t be too suprised (and none too disappointed either) if Cureton was next.

As long as we keep everyone we''ve got (ie Hoolahan and co) other than Russel/Stefanovic & maybe Cureton, we will be more than fine.

[/quote]

At the end of last season he publicly said he would stay and fight.

Perhps being told he will not feature has made him change his mind.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="1st Wazzock"]

Is Stef and all the other high wage earners being forced out ?

All the latest chat about Hoolihan is almost inviting a bid !

[/quote]

I reckon that''s a bullseye Wazzy.......

[/quote]I genuinely don''t think Hoolahan is going anywhere. At least not until January. He came out in the papers last month sying he had no intention of going anywhere when it was rumoured.

I don''t think my friend was far off today when he said Gunn seems to be from Delia''s school of media thought. If he states he''s concerned about keeping hold of him and Hoolahan goes nowhere it looks like Gunn has managed to keep hold of him. It may bring in bids that are too good to turn down and it will now just look like Hoolahan was the one who wanted to leave.

Could just be a consperacy theory but it could be the case. I still don''t think he''s going anywhere though. What could have changed since he said he''s going nowhere? An unbeaten pre-season, and he''s looked really good. Fitness levels are high and there''s an excitement about the club for a change.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]

Wouldn''t be too suprised (and none too disappointed either) if Cureton was next.

[/quote]That would make this the perfect transfer window imo. Lots of strength in depth in the squad- cover in all areas of defence, midfield and attack.

Dejan was clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the defence at times last year, his positioning and ability to play the ball out of defence made him invaluable.

Yes he gave away a couple of pens, but wasn''t one of them very dubious?

He has been forced out by Gunn, buying 2 defenders and then not picking Dejan for any friendlies sent a very clear "you aren''t needed" signal. It is unknown if Gunn told Dejan to look for other clubs or is he started it of his own accord. It looks as if he might be off to Southampton - which would be a bit of a double blow to be honest.

Is Nelson really a better defender that Dejan? And at 29 he isn''t really one for the future either or particularly quick.

I understand the need to move Dejan on, just a shame I guess.

[quote user="CT "][quote user="CanaryJames"]

Wouldn''t be too suprised (and none too disappointed either) if Cureton was next.

[/quote]

That would make this the perfect transfer window imo.
Lots of strength in depth in the squad- cover in all areas of defence, midfield and attack.

[/quote]

Definitely agree, although I''d possibly consider someone like Adomah to act as an extra striker/winger because I think we could do with a bit more pace up-front, and Adomah''s versatility would come in handy to compete with Hoolahan/Whaley/etc, especially as McVeigh''s only a short-term answer in truth. We could always agree to loan him back to Barnet for the season if it suited them more...as long as we had a re-call clause?

Apart from that, just 1 or 2 loans when needed throughout the season until January in areas we may need strengthening because of injuries. Then in January, we can re-assess and depending where we are in the League, make any more changes we need.

If Russe/Stefanovic/Cureton all left and Adomah joined I''d be absolutely ecstatic.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Dejan was clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the defence at times last year, his positioning and ability to play the ball out of defence made him invaluable. Yes he gave away a couple of pens, but wasn''t one of them very dubious? [/quote]

Sorry but its not clear to me at all. His lack of pace was a liability last year and this year he will be slower still. I dont remember any of his penaltys being classed as dubious. Docs conceded a penalty and was sent off by D''urso but the red card was overturned after replays showed he won the ball. Maybe you are confusing it with that?