Sign in to follow this  
@NYCANARIES

Norwich City Preview on UF

I have the honor of previewing Bigus’ beloved Norwich City Canaries. There is some risk to this enterprise. The man can be, um, tempestuous when it comes to his club. He’s trusting me, a Chelsea supporter!, to do the preview of NCFC’s critical first year in League One after the drop this past spring. After the jump, you can see how I fare…

(All the positive energy in Norwich is overwhelming, I need unbiased clarification on on our chances this year , can we win the title or am I just overdosing on the Kool aid? - Bigus)

If you are a friend of Bigus, you end up learning about City. Much of this knowledge comes from osmosis. After all, fully half of the words the man speaks about football are directly Norwich-related. I’ve known the man well for several years, we’ve had countless email arguments and countless pints. That’s a lot of Norwich.

Over the last several years, Norwich has gone from promotion glory (to the Premiership), to a quick drop to the Championship, followed by a drop down the Championship table and, last year, the painful drop to League One. To know Bigus is to feel the pain of this recent run of poor results. Many of us have studied up on the club. Personally, I can say that I know more about Norwich than any non-Premiership club - and that includes MLS clubs.

For example, I know that the club is owned by Delia Smith and some friends. Delia is a television chef and cookbook writer. Delia saved the club several years back and is a beloved Norwich figure. However, she also is about tapped in terms of additional investment into the club. Several years of bad manager hires has wasted what resources she and her friends really have available to commit to the cash sinkhole that is club ownership.

This culminated last year in a club with fully 17 transfers on board over the course of the season. Loan transfers were failed manager Glenn Roeder’s preferred method of bringing quality into a club that had barely survived relegation the previous season. Loaners can bring a club higher-division quality, but at the price of loyalty. All of those transfers knew that they would likely return to their club at year end. Norwich finished this past season not only relegated, but in a very real sense without a squad of players that they owned.

Bryan Gunn was promoted to caretaker manager about half way through last season. Gunn was goal keeper on the legendary Norwich side back in 1993. This was the first year of the Premier League and Norwich went on a fantastic run in the UEFA Cup, beating Bayern Munich, in Munich, 2-1. (If you do not know that Norwich beat Bayern in Munich, you simply have never met Bigus).

Gunn came back to the club in 1999. He then filled assorted roles such as “sponsorship manager,” “community ambassador,” and “club liaison” before finally being Glenn Roeder’s goalkeeping coach for 6 months. He’s a Norwich legend. He’s beloved by the support. 19,000 season ticket holders renewed this year for the League One campaign - many in direct endorsement of Gunny. But the man’s only football management experience, at any level, was last seasons failed relegation battle. Hiring him last year was, to my mind, reckless and indicative of Delia’s falling resources. Bigus and I have argued this point countless times. We simply have no evidence that Bryan Gunn has any skill as a football manager. Norwich is a pretty big club. They’ve been in the top flight or second division about their entire history. Bryan Gunn? Because he was keeper in your glory days and a good guy? (By the way, Gunn’s two assistants? Both also were on that famous Norwich side. Both named Ian. Seriously.) I dunno….

(Norwich City’s most successful managers were promoted from within with little or no managerial experience. Ken Brown won the league cup, Mike Walker had us third in the Prem and on a European dream, he was also a goalkeeper. - Bigus)

But that was last year. That was the Championship. This year, it’s League One. I have to say, Gunny has had a pretty good summer.

Norwich lost three of their better players to Championship clubs - David Marshall, Sammy Clingan and Lee Croft. They really had to sell these boys (Croft was a free agent) since they were among the few valuable assets they could flip for cash to build a new side. Again, Roeder’s transfers haunt them. What Gunn has done with the proceeds, however, has been impressive.

Changing of the guard. Gunn has brought in 12 new players this summer.

12 new players have been brought in, only one, a backup keeper from Tottenham, a loan. The squad has been remade. Very small and slight last year, they are taller and stronger. New defenders Michael Nelson and Jens Berthell-Askou have been impressive in preseason play.

Newly acquired Norwich-native middie Matt Gill has battled, and has potential central partners in the arriving Owain Tudur-Jones and Stephen Hughes. Winger Simon Whaley has added pace (and goals), to replace Croft. Tall striker Grant Holt, who knocked in 20 for Shrewsbury last season (28 in all competitions), shows real promise. Australian keeper Michael Theoklitos replaces Marshall.

Wes Hoolahan and Cody McDonald, who showed real flashes of brilliance last year, return along with forgotten Simon Lappin and Adam Drury. Gunn appears to be remaking the side on the fly and with a strong personality for the critical campaign ahead.

The preseason has gone well. Norwich have yet to lose in an extensive run of friendlies, capped by a 3-2 win at home to Wigan.

This Saturday, the Canaries play their first match of the season, at home, against Colchester United. Preparations and transfer activity arguably could not have gone better this summer. So what can we expect this season? Will the Norwich faithful be rewarded with an immediate return to their rightful place in the Championship?

Here’s where reality may intervene. League One has gotten stronger in recent years and this year truly is up in the air. Regular Premiership clubs Leeds, Southampton and Charlton will expect to do well. Regular contenders Tranmere, Huddersfield and Southend expect to make a playoff push. Brentford and MK Dons intrigue. Then there are last year’s playoff losers Millwall, who return a pretty strong side.

Into this fray march the Canaries under Bryan Gunn. Will an entirely new squad gel quickly enough when, literally, every match matters and a quick start is important? And how will Gunn’s tactics and man management hold up? If you look around League One for very long, you will find some surprisingly impressive managers. Can Gunny quickly make a team out of these parts? Can he match wits against these managers? These are the questions that leave most Norwich supporters cautiously optimistic.

Prediction? I think that Norwich will battle for a playoff spot. But I do not think that they will be promoted. Too much, too soon. Sorry, Bigus. But I will be right there cheering them on. In any case, Norwich have presented a case study in how to approach your first season after relegation. Good luck to them!

There ya go.

Really? I think it is devoid of insight and says nothing that can''t be gleaned from scanning Wikipedia.

Perhaps Biggus posted this because the piece''s overly long preamble seems to be mainly about him?

I posted it because I thought it was interesting that an American Chelsea fan had had a go based on his interest in our club. I didn''t read yours, let me know when I can.

Here''s my go:

Chelsea were a nothing team fileding berks like Kerry Dixon and David Speedie. Then a Russian crook bought them as a plaything and sponked a lot of money up the wall trying to buy the riseable Chumpions McLeague TM. He''ll soon be a in a cage in  Moscow courtroom and Chelsea will be back where they deserve to be.

My, Bumpkin, aren''t you a disagreeable moron...

I''m proud that I know more about my friend''s NCFC than you do about Chelsea. And I''m particularly pleased that you don''t like my piece on UF. I wasn''t aiming to please mouthbreathing troglodytes like yourself.

While I am no Chelsea fan or one of the Russian, I think it''s awesome that Americans love football to the point that ESPN is buying rights and sites like UF are getting heavy readership. Arshavins goal made top ten plays on ESPN this week, quite an achievement for a sport in another country. The growth of English football here is fantastic. 75,000 sell outs for Prem teams on tour and lots of interest. As for Autoglass, his name should tell you when he became a Chelsea fan.

The majority of people simply get brought up loving a club and stick by it forever.  I''m not a fan of the money obsessed nature of football at the moment but you can hardly blame those people who do have oligarch owners and the like, it''s not the fan''s fault.

Or those who live in other countries and choose. Although 2 weeks ago, I met a Norwich fan from Virginia. In a 70s City shirt, he has never been to CR yet loves Norwich City and supports from a distance. Thought that was brilliant.

[quote user="Bigus"]Or those who live in other countries and choose. Although 2 weeks ago, I met a Norwich fan from Virginia. In a 70s City shirt, he has never been to CR yet loves Norwich City and supports from a distance. Thought that was brilliant.[/quote]And there will be a reason why he loves Norwich City and will stand by it, same as Dave (XXL), he loves Norwich because of Canaries yet now he will always love it. 

Norwich is a local club for LOCAL people.

Yanks should stick to their own joke sports, the ones which only thet play or care about and can award themselves laughable World Superbowl Series trinkets in.

[quote user="Major Bumpkin DSO"]

Norwich is a local club for LOCAL people.

Yanks should stick to their own joke sports, the ones which only thet play or care about and can award themselves laughable World Superbowl Series trinkets in.

[/quote]

You really are an objectionable lttle fellow aren''t you.  I wasn''t born in Norfolk yet I have been a Norwich supporter for 40 years! I have lived here for many years although my career has taken me all over the world where I have met many Canary fans who have never been to CR.  I am a season ticket holder myself and have been going to CR for nearly 30 years.  Who knows why, as young kids, we choose the teams we wish to follow and continue to do so for the whole of our lives but I do know one thing, idiots like you do not get to have a say!!

Oh and change your username, I doubt very much if you have one and it''s an insult to those who have earned it.

American and corporate hospitality. Two things football in general and Norwich City in particular can do without. Pass the prawn sandwiches Scooby old chap.

Support your local team!

I fail to see what corporate hospitality and prawn sandwiches have to do with supporting whoever you choose?

[quote user="Major Bumpkin DSO"]

American and corporate hospitality. Two things football in general and Norwich City in particular can do without. Pass the prawn sandwiches Scooby old chap.

Support your local team!

[/quote]You are really trying to be a jerk, aren''t you?  Supporters like yourself do Norwich no favors, believe me. Crawl back into your hole and support Norwich with your gob shut please.  You''ll be doing NCFC a world of good.

Its a well emough written peice. Clearly very heavily influenced by what Bigus has said to his mate though and some consequential inaccuracies. For instance i would query whether the majority of the 19,000 season ticket holders renewed their season tickets out of personal backing for Gunn!

How old are you Bumpkin? Just curious if there is still hope for you.  You sure do try to uphold all those negative stereotypes of Norfolk folk that the rest of us seek to dismantle. Your xenophobia is laughable.

Dear Jackanapes AKA Major Bumpkin,

Local people? Is being born in Eaton good enough for you or should I scold myself severly for starting the NY Canaries because I no longer live in Norwich? I''ll just stop supporting my team as they are now 3500 miles away shall I? Hilarious.

Having foreign supporters from all over the globe that love our club, and continue to support it in League One is fantastic. In fact, most of them probably spend more money on merchandise and trips than you do, actually making them more valuable to the club than yourself. One home game for me means I travel more miles than you would if you went to every away game for two seasons straight yet you have the pomposity to criticize others.

One day you will look back and read the contemptible, nonsensical tripe you gush into the public domain and a simple question will cross your mind..."When did I become such a tit?".

Eaton? Too posh. You probably prefer rowing and rugby and pretend to like "soccer" so that the rough boys don''t pick on you.

Perhaps a nice big slice of mom''s apple pie will cheer you up.

As an American, does the your waist measurement exceed your height?