Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Svensson

Assuming he has sorted out his bad form from the first two matches, do you think Svensson would be a good replacement for Doherty up front? Acting as a bit of a target man. Theres nothing wrong wit Doc but hes more of a defender and i would feel more confident with a striker playing up front.

(i have not forgotten about McKenzie but im just exploring other options)

Definitely - although I still believe that Leon should be given a chance - how on earth is he going to get the confidence & the experience if Worthington doesn''t give him a chance to get some games under his belt????

From what I have seen - Sven is not fast enough to be a target man and also is unable to jump, he tends to drop back more and act as a link man in midfield - saw him on plently of occasions last season - his link play is excellent - but target man no.

I think we can only try sven again if we learn to pass rather than use him as a target man.  As you point out he is a superb link man with a very good touch in both feet.  Unfortunately his feet are rarely 7ft off the ground which is usually the height the ball gets played to him.  Get the ball into his chest or lower and he will control, hold up and lay off well.    My main concern about sven is that he is simply too slow around the pitch for the prem game.

As such even if we did imprve our delivery to the front man I would then be looking to play Jonson or Leon as they are far more mobile and also play well with the ball into their feet..

Either way Doc has to drop back - is time for Leon.

OTBC