Sign in to follow this  
LQ

Supporters groups meeting with the new Board

Why should anyone be surprised to think that siomethings may not have changed? Why should they? The owners that led us to where we are today are still the owners. We can hope that our new CE is more football results focussed than the Doomster and he and Gunny appear to have performed remarkably well this close season. However the real power lies where it always has for the past 13 years or so. If the battered trout doesn''t have a crystal ball re managerial appointments the least she can do is recognise her atrocious record in that area and keep her nose out of the process next time around.

Some seem happy to think all is well and let''s hope they are right. on the otherhand perhaps they don''t need a suntan as their noses are brown enough already?

[quote user="crafty canary"]Why should anyone be surprised to think that siomethings may not have changed? Why should they? The owners that led us to where we are today are still the owners. We can hope that our new CE is more football results focussed than the Doomster and he and Gunny appear to have performed remarkably well this close season. However the real power lies where it always has for the past 13 years or so. If the battered trout doesn''t have a crystal ball re managerial appointments the least she can do is recognise her atrocious record in that area and keep her nose out of the process next time around.

Some seem happy to think all is well and let''s hope they are right. on the otherhand perhaps they don''t need a suntan as their noses are brown enough already?[/quote]Ooooh - get you!Do you have claws to go with your handbag?It''s pathetic comments like this that make me wonder why I bother.Have fun congratulating yourself on such a great post.

Point 3 of Daphne''s post with regard to the admission that our majority shareholders had no idea how bad it was getting under Roeder had a few bums shuffling uncomfortably on a number of seats.

For me Mcnally is a man''s man but there is a lot of work in progressas. Walking the walk is a different matter to talking the talk.

The non appearance of the new Chairman sat uncomfortably with me as this meeting had been on the radar for weeks and none of us present last night were made aware prior to the meeting.I hope living in Cambridgeshire will not be a hinderence.

Now as far as the man from Archant is concerned i was not impressed at all.

Lisa,the man who ran the show was called John Kitson who for those who were not present is a cross between Dale Winton and Alan Carr.Before anyone starts i am not homophobic.Certainly a character but did a damn good job.Employed by Aviva i believe.

I wrote copious notes of the meeting, of what was said, what questions were asked – just under 2000 words in total, with my own personal slant on matters, (will not get on here!) just for my own record. 

I was the one that received Delia’s rather tart reply (Daphne’s words!) and was quite impressed with myself to have my question turned around to a “What would you do” with regard to appointing a manager which normally means that they’ve no clue how to answer. McNally’s (?) response that generally seven of ten managerial appointments are generally successful was another eye opener as NCFC must be way behind this percentage. Maybe they’ll get lucky with Gunny, after all anyone can throw a pair of dice enough times and double-six will turn up eventually. 

Some comments/responses from the Board that I noted :- 

1. The immediate priorities of David McNally were (a) to oversee Gunny rebuilding the squad and (b) the working out how to manage the debt, but the debt issue came up in a number of other responses.

2. MWJ’s throw away comment in response to David Hawley’s question about moving the ground was a worrying one. “We can’t even sell the land we have”, or words to that effect, makes me wonder how a decent dent in the debt will ever be achieved.

3. MWJ pouncing on a comment from the floor when “saleability” was misheard for “sustainability” suggested to me that a change of ownership was miles away. A sensitive subject methinks.

4. The Manage the Manager responses left me speechless about not knowing what Roeder was doing and the comment from the floor re the telephone call to Doncaster about the problems Roeder was creating. It left me thinking that this was a crass dereliction of duty as directors, nothing less, and that they had learnt nothing from overseeing previous managers.

5. McNally was impressive and only fell short of a decent response to Peter Wolsey’s detailed first question regarding the finances. Overall McNally spoke impressively and with purpose and in a way that I would expect of a CEO of a decent size business.

6. I was disappointed with what new things Michael Foulger, Delia and MWJ had to say, as apart from we may appoint a new director, and there was precisely nothing of note that I could recall.

The appointment of McNally seems key in all this, and if needs to make decisions that are unpalatable to Delia and MWJ that are for the good of NCFC I hope he’ll do so, after all he worked for Mohammed Al Fayed for four years so I expect he’s used to dealing with a person that is used to getting their own way. Delia and MWJ cannot afford (in cash and credibility terms) for him to fail. 

McNally seems well on top of his own brief already which is encouraging. 

I stayed until 10:30, chucking out time, and was back home at quarter past midnight.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Point 3 of Daphne''s post with regard to the admission that our majority shareholders had no idea how bad it was getting under Roeder had a few bums shuffling uncomfortably on a number of seats.

For me Mcnally is a man''s man but there is a lot of work in progressas. Walking the walk is a different matter to talking the talk.

The non appearance of the new Chairman sat uncomfortably with me as this meeting had been on the radar for weeks and none of us present last night were made aware prior to the meeting.I hope living in Cambridgeshire will not be a hinderence.

Lisa,the man who ran the show was called John Kitson who for those who were not present is a cross between Dale Winton and Alan Carr.Before anyone starts i am not homophobic.Certainly a character but did a damn good job.Employed by Aviva i believe.

[/quote]

Here is a funny thing.  Both the man from Archant  and Mr Kitson have IP postcodes along with Delia.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

I wrote copious notes of the meeting, of what was said, what questions were asked – just under 2000 words in total, with my own personal slant on matters, (will not get on here!) just for my own record. 

I was the one that received Delia’s rather tart reply (Daphne’s words!) and was quite impressed with myself to have my question turned around to a “What would you do” with regard to appointing a manager which normally means that they’ve no clue how to answer. McNally’s (?) response that generally seven of ten managerial appointments are generally successful was another eye opener as NCFC must be way behind this percentage. Maybe they’ll get lucky with Gunny, after all anyone can throw a pair of dice enough times and double-six will turn up eventually. 

Some comments/responses from the Board that I noted :- 

1. The immediate priorities of David McNally were (a) to oversee Gunny rebuilding the squad and (b) the working out how to manage the debt, but the debt issue came up in a number of other responses.

2. MWJ’s throw away comment in response to David Hawley’s question about moving the ground was a worrying one. “We can’t even sell the land we have”, or words to that effect, makes me wonder how a decent dent in the debt will ever be achieved.

3. MWJ pouncing on a comment from the floor when “saleability” was misheard for “sustainability” suggested to me that a change of ownership was miles away. A sensitive subject methinks.

4. The Manage the Manager responses left me speechless about not knowing what Roeder was doing and the comment from the floor re the telephone call to Doncaster about the problems Roeder was creating. It left me thinking that this was a crass dereliction of duty as directors, nothing less, and that they had learnt nothing from overseeing previous managers.

5. McNally was impressive and only fell short of a decent response to Peter Wolsey’s detailed first question regarding the finances. Overall McNally spoke impressively and with purpose and in a way that I would expect of a CEO of a decent size business.

6. I was disappointed with what new things Michael Foulger, Delia and MWJ had to say, as apart from we may appoint a new director, and there was precisely nothing of note that I could recall.

The appointment of McNally seems key in all this, and if needs to make decisions that are unpalatable to Delia and MWJ that are for the good of NCFC I hope he’ll do so, after all he worked for Mohammed Al Fayed for four years so I expect he’s used to dealing with a person that is used to getting their own way. Delia and MWJ cannot afford (in cash and credibility terms) for him to fail. 

McNally seems well on top of his own brief already which is encouraging. 

I stayed until 10:30, chucking out time, and was back home at quarter past midnight.

[/quote]

thanks for this info Tim, very interesting and at least it would appear that we have one competent person in the Boardroom. LQ can you see the concerns that a lot of us have? Ok Crafty''s post is more hostile but some of the reveletions coming out of the meeting are alarming. The Chairman can''t make it, hostile responses from Delia/WWJ, not knowing what was going on under Roeder etc. I think as Tim says, the sale of the club or even the intention to sell, is miles away, because there doesn''t appear to be the desire to sell. And in order to really move forward that has to happen, because Delia and MWJ don''t have the cash or ability to get us back to where we should be.

Barcaly Boy wrote:

thanks for this info Tim, very interesting and at least it would appear that we have one competent person in the Boardroom. LQ can you see the concerns that a lot of us have? Ok Crafty''s post is more hostile but some of the reveletions coming out of the meeting are alarming. The Chairman can''t make it, hostile responses from Delia/WWJ, not knowing what was going on under Roeder etc. I think as Tim says, the sale of the club or even the intention to sell, is miles away, because there doesn''t appear to be the desire to sell. And in order to really move forward that has to happen, because Delia and MWJ don''t have the cash or ability to get us back to where we should be.

I think that you''re probably right in terms of where Delia/MWJ think they are at, it appears that they have chosen to take a much less hands on role and leave it to the ''experts'' and hope that they will be able to bask in the reflected glory if there is success, whilst retaining their own perceived roles of munificent supporters. At the same time, they know that they have overseen a motorway pile up in terms of the last few years and are finally releasing the reins of power albeit not ownership. I don''t think McN and Bowkett are puppets, I firmly believe that they will say it as they see it and will rapidly leave if the Smiths refuse to back them. I''ve been in businesses long enough to see that those at the top can often be undermined by those at a more operating level particularly during times of change following failure.

I''m happy that we''ve put a squad together for now, and I watch with interest what happens next in the boardroom, but overall I''m reasonably optimistic,and while everyone is now looking to the future, I can imagine whenever the Smiths show obdurance they will be beaten with a stick marked ''the recent past'' by McN to get his way.      

Yes, Barclay Boy, I can appreciate the concerns which is why I pointed out that the Chairman wasn''t present, that it was all rhetoric at this point and that it would be easy to say ''same old, same old''.But I don''t get this whole hostile response dig that some have regarding answers from the top table. As far as I''m concerned people speak as equals and I''m not here to see anyone kowtowing to anyone else - that goes equally for a fan and for a Board member. I''m not interested in platitudes and niceties. So what if MWJ says "we can''t sell the land we have"? Isn''t that just honest? Maybe some don''t actually want honesty they just want subservience.There were worrying revelations about the past but for me that was a plus point - it shows they''ve been discussed and taken on board. Depends on your viewpoint I suppose.I have a predilection towards giving people a chance, innocent until proven guilty and all that. That''s what McNally, Bowkett and Phillips will get from me - a chance to prove they can change things rather than assuming they can''t. But that''s me.p.s. I''ve spoken to many associates and friends in the media (locally and nationally) and in football (nationally) and every single one of them shares my view on the new directors.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

Here is a funny thing.  Both the man from Archant  and Mr Kitson have IP postcodes along with Delia.

[/quote]

Kitson lives at Mattishall which is not an IP postcode so looks like your detective work has let you down Cam.Best leave that to the professionals hey?

Reading through all of this (thanks for posting you anointed few[:P] ) I was taken aback by McNally saying 7 out of 10 managerial appointments are successful. But then I guess it''s dependent on what people class as successful. The measuring stick for our club, at least how opinions on here read to me, would be top 6 Championship or better. That being the case only Worthington of the managers appointed by this board has been successful which is well below McNallys 70%. To put it into perspective Coventry City have had at least half a dozen managers since their relegation in 2001 and have never managed a top 6 finish. And a quick look at clubs up and down the land not matching their supporters expectations rather confirms my view that McNallys 70% is rather high unless his idea of successful is very different to the beliefs held on here. If we somehow manage to return to the Championship this season will Gunns appointment be deemed successful? After all we would only be returning to where we were when he took over.

I believe appointing managers is an absolute nightmare. I am quite happy that it appears the board are finally going back to producing a team and hopefully appointing from within. Peter Grant and Glen Roeder were huge expensive mistakes and none of their men were left to carry on beyond them. I hope that a new dynasty has been formed and the next manager of Norwich City is Butterworth or Crook.

When Roeder and Grant were appointed we were told that the board had taken advice from some very well respected footballing people. Now unless that advice was ignored they were quite obviously "led up the garden path". Although it''s true that the buck stops at the top, and advice or not they have to take responsibility for those failures, what more could they have done?

They have just appointed a new CE. Most of you seem to be impressed. I wonder what the success rate is for CE''s and what is used to measure that success.

What is his definition of success though, not being relegated? Mid table finishes? Promotion?  Last 16 of cup competitions?

Anyone there ask for clarification on this

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kitson lives at Mattishall which is not an IP postcode so looks like your detective work has let you down Cam.Best leave that to the professionals hey?

[/quote]

Aside from the "Barn" they also have another addy with an IP postcode.

Hint: it is near what passes for "seaside" in Suffolk.[:P]

Tim/Daphne/LQ,

What was Peter Wolsey''s question about finance (see Tim''s post above point 5) that McNally struggled with?

"McNally was impressive and only fell short of a decent response to Peter Wolsey’s detailed first question regarding the finances. Overall McNally spoke impressively and with purpose and in a way that I would expect of a CEO of a decent size business."

Q3 was from Peter Wolsey of the Norwich City Shareholders Association who spoke very passionately about NCFC and asked: (1) Would the wage bill be more than £3million, and (2) How would the board "Manage/Control the Manager".

From my recall Peter Wolsey was well informed, was critical for the reasons for the debt, and was very knowledgeable about the accounts for the last five years. I wouldn''t have expected David McNally to have the same level of detail and history after six weeks as CEO. My view was that McNally seemed a little taken aback by the eloquence and detail of the question which was maybe why he was not so assured when he started his response.

Perhaps I was a little harsh on him as this was the only time in the 90 minutes when McNally seemed to be on the back foot.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Q3 was from Peter Wolsey of the Norwich City Shareholders Association who spoke very passionately about NCFC and asked: (1) Would the wage bill be more than £3million, and (2) How would the board "Manage/Control the Manager".

From my recall Peter Wolsey was well informed, was critical for the reasons for the debt, and was very knowledgeable about the accounts for the last five years. I wouldn''t have expected David McNally to have the same level of detail and history after six weeks as CEO. My view was that McNally seemed a little taken aback by the eloquence and detail of the question which was maybe why he was not so assured when he started his response.

Perhaps I was a little harsh on him as this was the only time in the 90 minutes when McNally seemed to be on the back foot.

[/quote]

Just to add, Peter speaks every year at the AGM and he is a retired Barclays Bank manager hence his knowledge of finance.

I also find it incredible that they didn''t know about the deterioration on the playing side under Roeder, they were at the games after all.  Do the board actually speak to the players or player reps at all ?  Given that they threw 2 million into the pot last season, you would have thought that they might have a little more interest in what was going on.  That said, I suppose there is a fine line between keeping an eye on things and interference.  Maybe the CEO could have been doing that for them, but was busy playing email tennis with supporters in his cosy office.Do you know what, I''m starting to become a little bit cynical in my old age.  I hope that McNally will do what needs to be done - he''s had a good start if the transfers in are anything to go by.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I also find it incredible that they didn''t know about the deterioration on the playing side under Roeder, they were at the games after all.  Do the board actually speak to the players or player reps at all ?  Given that they threw 2 million into the pot last season, you would have thought that they might have a little more interest in what was going on.  That said, I suppose there is a fine line between keeping an eye on things and interference.  Maybe the CEO could have been doing that for them, but was busy playing email tennis with supporters in his cosy office.

Do you know what, I''m starting to become a little bit cynical in my old age.  I hope that McNally will do what needs to be done - he''s had a good start if the transfers in are anything to go by.
[/quote]

BBB,

Are you thinking of joining us over on the ''dark side''?

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I also find it incredible that they didn''t know about the deterioration on the playing side under Roeder, they were at the games after all.  Do the board actually speak to the players or player reps at all ?  Given that they threw 2 million into the pot last season, you would have thought that they might have a little more interest in what was going on.  That said, I suppose there is a fine line between keeping an eye on things and interference.  Maybe the CEO could have been doing that for them, but was busy playing email tennis with supporters in his cosy office.

Do you know what, I''m starting to become a little bit cynical in my old age.  I hope that McNally will do what needs to be done - he''s had a good start if the transfers in are anything to go by.
[/quote]

BBB,

Are you thinking of joining us over on the ''dark side''?

[/quote]

That''s the Jarrold Stand isn''t it?

[quote user="LQ"][quote user="crafty canary"]Why should anyone be surprised to think that siomethings may not have changed? Why should they? The owners that led us to where we are today are still the owners. We can hope that our new CE is more football results focussed than the Doomster and he and Gunny appear to have performed remarkably well this close season. However the real power lies where it always has for the past 13 years or so. If the battered trout doesn''t have a crystal ball re managerial appointments the least she can do is recognise her atrocious record in that area and keep her nose out of the process next time around.

Some seem happy to think all is well and let''s hope they are right. on the otherhand perhaps they don''t need a suntan as their noses are brown enough already?[/quote]Ooooh - get you!Do you have claws to go with your handbag?It''s pathetic comments like this that make me wonder why I bother.Have fun congratulating yourself on such a great post.

[/quote]

Perhaps you should read your response again before accusing others of making pathetic comments.

Tell me where the Stowmarket 2 have changed.

Do they still own the business?

Do they still have no intention of going?

Do they know what this manager is up to?

As I said in my post I am impressed by the job Mcnally and Gunn have done this close season. However I''ll be interested to see what happens when McNally tries to implement a major policy that the S2 don''t agree with. Mcnally Resigns! is a headline I fear is awaiting to happen but hopefully we have returned to the Championship at least before we''d ever have to read it.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I used to have an IP postcode but lived in Norfolk, my missus had an NR postcode and lived in Suffolk...

...without wanting to get bogged in the nuances of our postal system.

Was any comment made about that actual details of how the board would start to reduce/maintain our overall level of debt? Reducing the wage bill is always mentioned, however with relegation bringing a reduction in TV/sponsorship/ticketing revenues surely it cannot be significant to use as a stand alone method of debt management?

I worry that at League One level our revenue streams are not substantial enough to manage our level of debt and we are simply struggling against the current awaiting a financial saviour.

I too would like to add my thanks for the reports from those who attended.

I am one of those who thinks the the Stow 2 have run the club disgracefully and maybe put too much trust in the Doomy one. It was alarming for them to admit that they did not have their fingers on the pulse yet again re Rodent. For Delia to jump down Tim''s throat for a perfectly good question is, I''m afraid, typical.

I am much more confident that, in the Chairman and the CEO, we have two directors who will not put up with the Stow 2''s ignorance and stupidty.

If McNally storms out, so will Mr Chairman and that will put the majority shareholders in a very difficult position.

Finally, it is obvious that Delia/MWJ are simply holding out until property prices regain some value. Once that happens they will be off - I hope!

Perhaps the reason the cook snaps at people asking reasonable questions is, that as the majority owner of the business, she doesn''t have to listen and finds the hoi-polloi questioning her irritating in the extreme.

Does anyone know how this McNally chap got the job? Is someone responsible for his appointment or was he sent by God to take on the ignorant and stupid club owners?

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]unfortunately I don''t think self sufficiency works in English Football these days LQ, and that line worries me a lot. To be succesful at the present time you need the club to be well run, AND have a benefactor with deep pockets, who is prepared to put money in and not neccesarily expect to see it again. And we do not have one. I will be convinced of the new Board''s ambition when we at least spend as much on incoming new players as we gain on outgoing ones. You can spend a lot of money and have a rubbish team and you can spend a lot of money and have a succesful team. But it''s very very difficult to gain real success without spending and we do not seem to have much to spend these days.[/quote]

I agree with the above statement somewhat but I think you can achieve Prem status without it..............

A number of teams such as Burnley and Hull have done it on far less resources than we have currently............it''s still possible.

Many have prayed for a rich outsider to come in and take over the club...............

Look how that is currently working on the South coast................ Not so hot..........

At Southampton we have a billionaire owner who is content to keep his hands in his pockets while all their best players have been sold.

At Portsmouth............. well frankly they have sold everyone with a pulse to cover debts and virtually anyone with an opinion thinks they are favs for relegation.

(Poll among the journalists who follow the club rated them favs to go down)

Football economics is very scary at the moment......... some of these rich investors are hurting the game by inflating wages and transfer fees...........This is a bubble waiting to burst.

Ironically those clubs who cut their cloth might actually end up doing well if we see a number of bigger clubs collapse.

People have knocked Liverpool, Man Utd and Asenal for selling these players even for incredibly silly money...........

Personally I think they are very smart. Sir Alex is keeping the powder dry when Clubs like Man City and Real Madrid have run out of money and the valuations return to a reasonable level.

[/quote]

and agree with you up to a point, the clubs you quote in trouble either lost their benefactor or do not have a benefactor, ie rich owner does not neccesarily equal benefactor, only if prepared to spend some of their riches! As for Burnely and Hull I think they have been more ambitious than us over the last few years in my opinion. One example being Patterson to Burnely, our bidding stopped at 850k, I think they got him for 1mill, the rest is history. We wouldn''t pay the extra 250k required for Martin Taylor, so for the sake of 400k, approx the same amount the club has had to pay in rebates to fans, we quite possibly would not be kicking off in the 3rd division on Saturday. I do not have a problem if clubs come knocking on the door and offering us silly money for players, as long as that is reinvested in bringing in quality replacements, the main reason we find ourselves where we are is that this has not been done in the past few seasons.

[/quote]

Agree 100%, exactly.

A rich owner is not worth squat if he is not willing to put his hands in his pockets...........

The truth is Delia/MWJ and Foulger have put a "significant" % of their cash into the club relative to their total net worth.

Probably a huge % if you figure in liquid assets not just paper ones that cannot be sold easilly.

Delia/MWJ are not amongst the super rich in real terms.

Most rich people got rich by being smart enough to not "invest" in things that will lose them money.

Football is not an investment.

The fact is anyone "investing" in football has a naive streak. Part of them wants to believe.

I ceratinly didn''t buy shares in the club because I thought I was going to make a load of money LOL

The truth is they have also made some huge mistakes in the past. I don''t think anyone can deny the facts.

We can look at individual mistakes but frankly its a combination of many things which led to our downfall.

The very start of our downfall was actually the promotion year we WON the championship.............

The club dropped their guard and became somewhat arrogant even though everything rolled our way that year, we never really recovered from that high point.

My feeling is Delia/MWJ will only be as successful as the people they bring into the club in board positions, because they are pretty naive football wise.

Ironically IMHO I think history will show Doncaster and Mumby played a big part in some of the worst decisions by the club. 

So far the board appointments this year look to have been very good ones IMHO.

We have invested far more than any other LG1 team this year while cutting costs relative to our reduced income.

I think virtually every team in this division would currently swap their squad for ours without blinking.

There comes a point where we must acknowledge the mistakes of the past but also know that its what we do going forward is the only thing that can change our situation.......

So far I think we are starting to head in the right direction as a club. Gunn may or may not be the right man as manager...... only time will tell.

I am going to support him 100% until it''s proven that he is not the man to lead us back into the championship.

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Does anyone know how this McNally chap got the job? Is someone responsible for his appointment or was he sent by God to take on the ignorant and stupid club owners?

[/quote]

Nutty, you''re not suggesting the knowledgeable Sister Wendy just had more exposure than she could take of Delia and sent for help?

Bury Yellow,

"Finally, it is obvious that Delia/MWJ are simply holding out until property prices regain some value. Once that happens they will be off - I hope"

This is the guts of the issue, but unfortunately, may take some time and in the meantime more interest will need to be paid upon dead land.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Reading through all of this (thanks for posting you anointed few[:P] ) I was taken aback by McNally saying 7 out of 10 managerial appointments are successful. But then I guess it''s dependent on what people class as successful. The measuring stick for our club, at least how opinions on here read to me, would be top 6 Championship or better. That being the case only Worthington of the managers appointed by this board has been successful which is well below McNallys 70%. To put it into perspective Coventry City have had at least half a dozen managers since their relegation in 2001 and have never managed a top 6 finish. And a quick look at clubs up and down the land not matching their supporters expectations rather confirms my view that McNallys 70% is rather high unless his idea of successful is very different to the beliefs held on here. If we somehow manage to return to the Championship this season will Gunns appointment be deemed successful? After all we would only be returning to where we were when he took over.

I believe appointing managers is an absolute nightmare. I am quite happy that it appears the board are finally going back to producing a team and hopefully appointing from within. Peter Grant and Glen Roeder were huge expensive mistakes and none of their men were left to carry on beyond them. I hope that a new dynasty has been formed and the next manager of Norwich City is Butterworth or Crook.

When Roeder and Grant were appointed we were told that the board had taken advice from some very well respected footballing people. Now unless that advice was ignored they were quite obviously "led up the garden path". Although it''s true that the buck stops at the top, and advice or not they have to take responsibility for those failures, what more could they have done?

They have just appointed a new CE. Most of you seem to be impressed. I wonder what the success rate is for CE''s and what is used to measure that success.

[/quote]

I am going to partially disagree with some of the points of your post..........

Ultimately virtually every single manager is a failure because the sack is certain...........

But I will actually contend that Glenn Roeder was NOT a failure on some levels........

Firstly he came into a disaster of a club/squad and managed to turn it around and keep us up when it looked like we were down. (That''s not a failure!)

Secondly any assertion that he was an EXPENSIVE mistake are totally totally false...........

If you look at his transfer dealings he actually sold FAR more than he spent............even if you don''t include Clingan.

The high wages were not Roeders fault....... they were part of wage structure in place at the club since the Prem season. (a major part of our downfall)

His biggest mistakes were his arrogance and going to the loan market in the second season after being successful in the first season.

His arrogance totally lost the majority of fans which no manager can survive.

It was amazing how he went from savior to villian so quickly.