Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

THEO

After watching him on Sat, slighty concerned, he looks quite small for a keeper, looks like a Fabien Bartez style keeper with his short sleeved top, did''nt seem to want to come for any high balls, his kicking was aimed at Wigan players.......... does not install me with confidence!!

Shay Given is the same height as him so I wouldn''t read too much into that. Give him a few games before you get worried. I''d rather a keeper who stayed when he wasn''t confident of getting the ball rather than a Barthez who came for everything!

The only problem i see in him atm is that he doesn''t listen to the coaches. Throughout the Wigan game, Crook was shouting at him to use the channels, give it short and look for Jon, but instead always kicked it long.

it would have been goood to have given theo more time in pre season to get little things like this sorted out. It''s to do with getting to know your back four well and then mixing it up between long and short balls. Going route one all the time is not the way to go about things so no wonder Crook was saying something. Again, something i am sure is nothing to worry about.

[quote user="The Chirp"]it would have been goood to have given theo more time in pre season to get little things like this sorted out.

It''s to do with getting to know your back four well and then mixing it up between long and short balls.

Going route one all the time is not the way to go about things so no wonder Crook was saying something.

Again, something i am sure is nothing to worry about.
[/quote]

Maybe so but it is very easy to look across the back line quickly and it was something that continued into the second half. Which was getting Butterworth jumping up and down everytime he got the ball.

From what I saw I believe he will be fine in this league, his kicking overall was good (although he needs to look for Holts signals) and it looks like we finally have someone who is willing to shout at the back four.

Agree Legend Iwan, he was shouting alot in the wigan game, which was good, letting the back 4 know that he was there! He did look quite comfortable catching the ball, but not so when it was a cross. Having said tthat, he didnt just stand there, but pushed it out to wide posistions away from the goal which for me is the next best thing!

He can not dive to his left, very akward looking (Check 2nd goal vs Wigan is key example of this i''ve been told) - Dad is a former semi-pro goal keeper, and his "old age" likes to inform me of he was better than! lmao Bless him.

[quote user="Gunn Revolution"]He can not dive to his left, very akward looking (Check 2nd goal vs Wigan is key example of this i''ve been told) - Dad is a former semi-pro goal keeper, and his "old age" likes to inform me of he was better than! lmao Bless him.
[/quote] I play in goal for my works team, not a very good standard but is a good laugh. I''m not very good at diving to my right, I''m left handed and it seems much more natural to dive to my left (we''re playing Vodafone Slough tonight, please don''t tell them)! For penalties I stand well to the right, trying to force their player to aim to my left!

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]The only problem i see in him atm is that he doesn''t listen to the coaches. Throughout the Wigan game, Crook was shouting at him to use the channels, give it short and look for Jon, but instead always kicked it long.[/quote] I thought Gunn stated in the paper himself and Crook stayed in the stands all the game against Wigan? Might have mis-read it but.. Surely Crooky wasn''t shouting from the stands at Theoklitos to use the channels!!??

[quote user="Michael Bates"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]The only problem i see in him atm is that he doesn''t listen to the coaches. Throughout the Wigan game, Crook was shouting at him to use the channels, give it short and look for Jon, but instead always kicked it long.[/quote] I thought Gunn stated in the paper himself and Crook stayed in the stands all the game against Wigan? Might have mis-read it but.. Surely Crooky wasn''t shouting from the stands at Theoklitos to use the channels!!??[/quote]

Yeah i got it wrong it was Crichton (standing the whole game with the ear piece in) and Butterworth taking the team. Critchton was shouting use the channels.

I must adnit although it was only his second game he did look edgy when crosses were flying around the box and if is not dealt with by the coaches he will have problems because other teams coaches will just put every cross on top of him, rough him up and really make life difficult for him. It is very difficult to be facing your own goal as a defender heading the ball away. I think Paul Crichton will work on this aspect of his game very quickly and hopefully get it right so he does sort out his feet movements and get better routes to the ball. As for his distribution it was poor and he really should have been using the full backs a lot quicker. It is difficult when you only play one up top as he has one target to aim for and 2 defenders round that target. Hopefully he will come good as he has good stature is loud but for me a little static when the ball is being delivered into the box. Lets back Paul Crichton to get these things right and hope that it was just nerves in his first home game

I have to admit I have reservations about him, his positioning is wayward I feel, eg the nearpost goal he conceded saturday.

I''ve got a feeling the youngsters will replace him by the end of the season !

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="Gunn Revolution"]He can not dive to his left, very akward looking (Check 2nd goal vs Wigan is key example of this i''ve been told) - Dad is a former semi-pro goal keeper, and his "old age" likes to inform me of he was better than! lmao Bless him.[/quote] I play in goal for my works team, not a very good standard but is a good laugh. I''m not very good at diving to my right, I''m left handed and it seems much more natural to dive to my left (we''re playing Vodafone Slough tonight, please don''t tell them)! For penalties I stand well to the right, trying to force their player to aim to my left![/quote]it is a natural thing, its a major trait and issue for most keepers, they folow their tendencies in things lie hand preference etc. but he should have it trained out of him in terms of technique. i wouldnt worry about it.

Why are we even bothering with this topic?  We all know he has to go.  Why would you even consider playing him again?  We have Alnwick, use him!! Even Declan Rudd has shown more, come to mention it so has Jed Steer.  Why play him again if you have other options?  There is no point playing him if there is the remotest chance it could happen again.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]TOLD YOU SO!![/quote]

Me too sad to say, I feel lack of confidence in the keeper, whether misplaced or not, will eventually spread through the rest of the team more than any other position would.