Sign in to follow this  
No Quarter

Humble pie anybody??

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]What puzzles me is that for some reason, a few people seem to think everyone who has serious doubts about Gunn as a manager actually want him to fail just so they can all say "I told you so", which is clearly wide of the mark. I''ve posted quite a few times (mostly around the time he was appointed) on this subject and I''ve been very critical of him as a manager but I''d love it if all those posts were dug up come next May saying how wrong I was as that means we''ve done well.

We''ve clearly had a good pre-season and I really enjoyed yesterday''s match, and you can''t fault the way we''ve gone about putting a squad together - certainly it''s been beyond what I was expecting so no complaints on that score yet. But it won''t count for anything if we have a rubbish season. We have to hit the ground running with a win next Saturday. Although I am much more hopeful than I was a few weeks ago I still have reservations - but to be honest, this is the first time in years we''ve got no idea what to expect. We''re in a league with teams and players we know little about, we''ve signed players we mostly know little about, with some new faces on the board and a rookie manager whose only achievement so far is to lead us to a relegation. Anything can happen this year. I''m looking forward to it as it really could all click and work out but by the same token I''m very worried that it could all go to pot very quickly.
[/quote]

Good post Graham. I too had ,and have, serious doubts about Gunny, and, while very happy with the activity over the summer, I still need convincing that he can make the required tactical decisions during games, an area where he was sadly lacking last season.

The good news is that I understand that Butters is taking much more of a lead role this season with Gunny more of a figurehead and Crooky concentrating on the reserves, so we have rather more structure instead of management by committee, which seldom works.

What the OP must understand is that there is a huge difference between having reservations and hoping for failure. We have all been fed so much crap in recent years that to question things is almost second nature, but that doesn''t mean that we don''t want the club to do well.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]What puzzles me is that for some reason, a few people seem to think everyone who has serious doubts about Gunn as a manager actually want him to fail just so they can all say "I told you so", which is clearly wide of the mark. I''ve posted quite a few times (mostly around the time he was appointed) on this subject and I''ve been very critical of him as a manager but I''d love it if all those posts were dug up come next May saying how wrong I was as that means we''ve done well.We''ve clearly had a good pre-season and I really enjoyed yesterday''s match, and you can''t fault the way we''ve gone about putting a squad together - certainly it''s been beyond what I was expecting so no complaints on that score yet. But it won''t count for anything if we have a rubbish season. We have to hit the ground running with a win next Saturday. Although I am much more hopeful than I was a few weeks ago I still have reservations - but to be honest, this is the first time in years we''ve got no idea what to expect. We''re in a league with teams and players we know little about, we''ve signed players we mostly know little about, with some new faces on the board and a rookie manager whose only achievement so far is to lead us to a relegation. Anything can happen this year. I''m looking forward to it as it really could all click and work out but by the same token I''m very worried that it could all go to pot very quickly.[/quote]GHThank you for putting this whole debate into perspective. I think many (perhaps even the majority?) of fans think exactly like you. We ended last season in a black depression having surrendered in the last game and could not see anything improving under the current ownership. (Contrary to the idiot ramblings of the chicken, I have never been a ''Deliarite'').I posted early in pre-season about the CEO appointment possibly being the most important signing the club could make and, frankly, I was amazed at the quality of the appointment. The subsequent engagement of Bowker, who had been a fierce critic of the regime, as Chairman was, I believe, another sign (however late) that lessons had been learned.The subsequent signings and the way the pre-season has been handled all exceed my expectations and, I believe, that there ARE grounds for optimism. However, this is Norwich we are talking about and I would echo your sentiments above. Yes, most of us (except for the embittered and rabid minority) will be hoping against hope that our optimism is justified and we gain promotion at the first attempt. If we do, albeit from ''Division 3'', it will be a fine achievement and I will not fail to salute Team Gunn and acknowledge that they have disproved my initial doubts.Oh, and because I am fair minded and not bigoted, I might even reserve a cheer for Delia for,at last, recognising the need to bring in solid, football orientated, professionals!!!

Decent discussion (bar the usual inappropriate anti-Delia obsessive) on a positive ''looking'' pre season. I was not pro Gunn as Manager, but I have never campaigned against a Manager (whereas I have campaigned against a Board i.e Chase). I think in hindsight we can all see some things more clearly e.g the misplaced loanees system, therefore our views do evolve. I look forward to meeting Bryan tomorrow at Greens, on Barrack St. I may have a question for him.

I realised long ago that it''s hardly worth posting anything remotely optimistic on here as you will undoubtedly be shouted down by all those whose only objective is to spout endless negativity. Should we be top at Xmas, even unbeaten, there will still be those who will post ya dont win nuffink til the end of da season.  Should we finish the season in the top 2 with Gunny at the helm then many of us so called Percy positive Deliarites will take great delight in ramming every quote straight back down your moaning throats.

Has anyone else noticed that there is already a growing number of  I''ve never said I don''t want Gunn posts floating around?  Methinks there might be more back peddling than the Tour de France appearing before too long.

If however, I am proven to be entirely wrong (which I am OPTIMISTIC enough to think I won''t be) I''ll have a large bottle of real ale to wash mine down with [;)]

[quote user="Scooby"]

I realised long ago that it''s hardly worth posting anything remotely optimistic on here as you will undoubtedly be shouted down by all those whose only objective is to spout endless negativity. Should we be top at Xmas, even unbeaten, there will still be those who will post ya dont win nuffink til the end of da season.  Should we finish the season in the top 2 with Gunny at the helm then many of us so called Percy positive Deliarites will take great delight in ramming every quote straight back down your moaning throats.

Has anyone else noticed that there is already a growing number of  I''ve never said I don''t want Gunn posts floating around?  Methinks there might be more back peddling than the Tour de France appearing before too long.

If however, I am proven to be entirely wrong (which I am OPTIMISTIC enough to think I won''t be) I''ll have a large bottle of real ale to wash mine down with [;)]

[/quote]

The thing is scooby, if we win the league by 50 points i still won''t be celebrating. Relieved? yes. Excited and happy? No. We''ve endured season after season of rubbish and we are now reaping the rewards of poor decision making from our so called "custodians" in league 3 football. As for Gunny, well he wasn''t the Right man for the job was he? We''d be in the championship if he was, but he''s a great Norwich figure and has done a lot of growing up this summer with the help of Crooky and Butterworth so in that respect he deserves all credit and support for the tough season ahead.

Im new to this thread so this might have been said before, but why should I eat humble pie now? Ok we''ve won some pre-season games that come May 2010 will mean nothing. The 3-2 result against Wigan will be a distant memory. I will only eat humble pie if Gunny gets us promoted.

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP"][quote user="Scooby"]

[/quote]

The thing is scooby, if we win the league by 50 points i still won''t be celebrating. Relieved? yes. Excited and happy? No. We''ve endured season after season of rubbish and we are now reaping the rewards of poor decision making from our so called "custodians" in league 3 football. As for Gunny, well he wasn''t the Right man for the job was he? We''d be in the championship if he was, but he''s a great Norwich figure and has done a lot of growing up this summer with the help of Crooky and Butterworth so in that respect he deserves all credit and support for the tough season ahead.

[/quote]

Do you honestly mean those words Arthur?

The way I see it a football season begins in August and ends in May. If during that time a club is good enough to win their league even on goal difference it must surely be cause for celebration. Winning a league, any league, is a hell of an achievement. Do you think Forest didn''t celebrate getting out of the Third Division because they had previously won 2 European Cups?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP"][quote user="Scooby"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The way I see it a football season begins in August and ends in May. If during that time a club is good enough to win their league even on goal difference it must surely be cause for celebration. Winning a league, any league, is a hell of an achievement. Do you think Forest didn''t celebrate getting out of the Third Division because they had previously won 2 European Cups?

[/quote]

My friends in Leicester didnt celebrate last season, they felt the same way I do now.

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP"][quote user="Scooby"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My friends in Leicester didnt celebrate last season, they felt the same way I do now.

[/quote]

Fair point Arthur mate. I guess it takes all sorts to make a fan base and every club has it''s fair share of happy clappers and old misery guts[;)]

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~1638781,00.html

I can''t see why anyone wouldn''t celebrate if we won the league. Fair enough, we should never have got ourselves into the position we are in now, and made so many entirely avoidable mistakes. But the fact is we are where we are and we may as well make the best of it. Let''s face it we have more rubbish seasons than good ones so I think if we do have a good one this year we should enjoy it as much as possible. There''s nothing better than winning matches regularly and winning promotions and titles.

[;)][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP"][quote user="Scooby"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair point Arthur mate. I guess it takes all sorts to make a fan base and every club has it''s fair share of happy clappers and old misery guts[;)]

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~1638781,00.html

[/quote]

Notice how most of the people in those photos celebrating are face paiters and kids? Im not saying I wont be happy, I just wouldnt celebrate in the same way as if we had been promoted to the Premiership. Promotion push is expected this year by fans, board and coaching staff.

Of course though I will only celebrate with a few malts and a chinky with Doris Nigel old chum.[;)]

[quote user="No Quarter"]

Following a good unbeaten pre season, I have a feeling that a few of the vociferous Gunn out brigade from last season may well be choking on their ridiculous, hate filled words come the new season. Sure, we haven''t played a "competetive" match yet, but the early signs are extremely encouraging. Gunn and his team have abviously targeted the areas of the squad that need improving (i.e all of it) and have not just made the numbers of the squad up, but have actually put a lot of thought into the blending of the players as a team.  We can already see several decent partnerships in the side, and these will only improve as the season progresses. 

I was always very pro Gunn from the outset, which led to me being on the receiving end of some ridiculous abuse on this message board.  I hope and pray that Gunny and team carry on the brilliant work thus far into the new season, and make some of these people (Row, Loan City FC, that wrestler bloke, First Wizard plus a ton of others) have their offensive little statements toward Gunny and myself stuck back down their throats.

[/quote]Muppet.

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."]Come on Mr Quarter why dont you tell us all how you knew Gunny was going to be this massive success ?
[/quote]

Yeah, enlighten us please.

Just putting some cream on my pie........Come on though, who honestly thought THAT would have happened.........bloody hell, I''m stuffed........

[quote user="No Quarter"]

Just putting some cream on my pie........Come on though, who honestly thought THAT would have happened.........bloody hell, I''m stuffed........

[/quote]

lol [:D]

Credit to you for fronting up NQ

Joshing aside, today was THE worst NCFC performance I have ever witnessed.  Not one player did anything remotely positive.  The passing was shambolic, we were second to every ball and any ball we did keep hold of, we soon lost. As for the back 5, the less said about them the better.  I am just DESPERATE for Gunny to succeed, and pray that this was just a huge blip.  Gunny was goalkeeper during the most successful period I have ever enjoyed, along with Crooky and Butters, and I believe their motives are 100% in the interests of this club, and I cannot turn on them.  It''s so damn heart wrenching.      

same crap different players league 2 here we come, untill I see otherwise thats how I see us ending up as ong as Gunn stays

[quote user="No Quarter"]Joshing aside, today was THE worst NCFC performance I have ever witnessed.  Not one player did anything remotely positive.  The passing was shambolic, we were second to every ball and any ball we did keep hold of, we soon lost. As for the back 5, the less said about them the better.  I am just DESPERATE for Gunny to succeed, and pray that this was just a huge blip.  Gunny was goalkeeper during the most successful period I have ever enjoyed, along with Crooky and Butters, and I believe their motives are 100% in the interests of this club, and I cannot turn on them.  It''s so damn heart wrenching.      [/quote]  But unfotunatly having the club at heart doesn''t win football matches. every fan was desperate for them to be a success but a manager lives and dies on results.