Sign in to follow this  
No Quarter

Humble pie anybody??

Following a good unbeaten pre season, I have a feeling that a few of the vociferous Gunn out brigade from last season may well be choking on their ridiculous, hate filled words come the new season. Sure, we haven''t played a "competetive" match yet, but the early signs are extremely encouraging. Gunn and his team have abviously targeted the areas of the squad that need improving (i.e all of it) and have not just made the numbers of the squad up, but have actually put a lot of thought into the blending of the players as a team.  We can already see several decent partnerships in the side, and these will only improve as the season progresses. 

I was always very pro Gunn from the outset, which led to me being on the receiving end of some ridiculous abuse on this message board.  I hope and pray that Gunny and team carry on the brilliant work thus far into the new season, and make some of these people (Row, Loan City FC, that wrestler bloke, First Wizard plus a ton of others) have their offensive little statements toward Gunny and myself stuck back down their throats.

[quote user="No Quarter"]

Following a good unbeaten pre season, I have a feeling that a few of the vociferous Gunn out brigade from last season may well be choking on their ridiculous, hate filled words come the new season. Sure, we haven''t played a "competetive" match yet, but the early signs are extremely encouraging. Gunn and his team have abviously targeted the areas of the squad that need improving (i.e all of it) and have not just made the numbers of the squad up, but have actually put a lot of thought into the blending of the players as a team.  We can already see several decent partnerships in the side, and these will only improve as the season progresses. 

I was always very pro Gunn from the outset, which led to me being on the receiving end of some ridiculous abuse on this message board.  I hope and pray that Gunny and team carry on the brilliant work thus far into the new season, and make some of these people (Row, Loan City FC, that wrestler bloke, First Wizard plus a ton of others) have their offensive little statements toward Gunny and myself stuck back down their throats.

[/quote]

15 league games me thinks! then we will see,but yes a great start and some good foundations laid!

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"]I''m not anti-Gunn. But the last time I checked you dont win anything in August. I recommend posting this again in April or May.
[/quote]beat me to it [Y]

I''ve never slagged Gunny off. I may have questioned him tactically but that''s it. But be cautious with the timing of such posts. I''m superstitious and paranoid enough not to start counting my chickens just yet. On Gunn though - hats off so far for his obvious man management once given the time to build a squad and develop players into roles which suit them. Let''s hope that this plays the type of dividends that the message board swingometer is indicating.LET''S SEE.

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"]I''m not anti-Gunn. But the last time I checked you dont win anything in August. I recommend posting this again in April or May.
[/quote]

Where have I said that we HAVE won anything?  I''m just stating that we''ve had a good pre season, made significant improvements to the squad, and that I hope this continue throughout next season.  My point is that I bet all the hardcore Gunn out crew are getting a wee bit nervous about the new season, and probably wish they hadn''t been quite so vociferous with their opinions.........

[/quote]

Oh do behave No Quarter.

A good pre-season means nothing, its next week and after what counts, if Gunn does well and gets us out of this league, I''ll put my hands up and apologise, however, if not..................[:|]

[/quote]

Im wasnt pro or anti Gunn. I dont think he was the right man at the time as we needed an experienced man in. He proved he wasnt the right man as we got relegated, but saying that he could be the right man to get us back up. We have only played meaningless friendlys so far so dont get ahead of yourself mate. I hope he has great success and becomes a city legend off the pitch as he was on it. But to say "eat humble pie" when Gunn got us relegated to this league in the 1st place is a bit dramatic. Lets see where we are at the end of the season and hope we get promoted, but the fact will always remain that Gunn WASNT the right man to save us from relegation but COULD be the man to get us up and redeem himself.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="No Quarter"]

[/quote]

Oh do behave No Quarter.

A good pre-season means nothing, its next week and after what counts, if Gunn does well and gets us out of this league, I''ll put my hands up and apologise, however, if not..................[:|]

[/quote]

I wouldn''t say it means nothing, surely going into a new season having won a few pre season matches enables you to hit the ground running.  Surely the players will be more confident following yesterdays win, than they would if we''d been spanked 6-0??  If we do have a good season and get promoted, I want you to issue a hand written apology to Gunny and his family following the dispicable things you have written about them, and then make your way to the City Hall for a public flogging [:)] 

[/quote]

Where have I said that we HAVE won anything?  I''m just stating that we''ve had a good pre season, made significant improvements to the squad, and that I hope this continue throughout next season.  My point is that I bet all the hardcore Gunn out crew are getting a wee bit nervous about the new season, and probably wish they hadn''t been quite so vociferous with their opinions.........

[/quote]i think people are refering to the TITLE of your post not the post itself [Y]

Congratulations!!!! You are the winner of the August award for petty points scoring against your fellow Norwich fans.(In case you hadn''t noticed all that petty bickering seemed to have disappeared recently).

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am hardly a "hardcore" Gunn outer, but I remained un-convinced at the end of last season, but for whatever reason he got the job so come August 8 I will be backing him and the team as best I can.  However I will not be crowing from the rooftops like some of our fans are already.  Yes we did not lose in pre-season, but we have done that before and had poor seasons, so I am going to start claiming that we will walk this league, this season and that Gunn is the new king! 

If we dont get to carried away, we wont feel the pain quite as much should we not finish as high as most seem to think we will.

Remember 2005/06?  Yes a lot of fans thought we would walk away with the Championship then and last season we were dog s*** for most of it. 

How short some peoples memories are.

Come on CITY!!

I have been impressed with Pre-Season but at the end of the day its a results business. I wish him all the best for the coming season but if we are not in the top 6 at Christmas, I think Gunn would need to be removed.

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP."][quote user="No Quarter"]

[/quote]

Im wasnt pro or anti Gunn. I dont think he was the right man at the time as we needed an experienced man in. He proved he wasnt the right man as we got relegated, but saying that he could be the right man to get us back up. We have only played meaningless friendlys so far so dont get ahead of yourself mate. I hope he has great success and becomes a city legend off the pitch as he was on it. But to say "eat humble pie" when Gunn got us relegated to this league in the 1st place is a bit dramatic. Lets see where we are at the end of the season and hope we get promoted, but the fact will always remain that Gunn WASNT the right man to save us from relegation but COULD be the man to get us up and redeem himself.

[/quote]

The thing is Sir Arthur, in history Gunny will always be blamed for getting us relegated as he was the manager at the time, however I do believe the rot had alraedy been put into place. Yes he had January to put his players in, but he never had no cash to purchase so all he could do was get in loans payed for by board members. If he had his eye on any of the players he has brought to the club now, he would have had to pay for them most probably with money we never had, getting money out of Doncaster was like getting blood out of a stone.

Thank Christ I''m going away for a few weeks to avoid this juvenile tripe.....It''s already forgotten that we''re in Division Three it seems and come May mid table will be heralded as a success.

Delia Smith wins again........

[quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP."]

Point taken, but I still believe a more experinced man would have given us a better chance.

[/quote]

So do I, but Gunny was I believe put into place to calm the supporters, basically the board threw him into the lions den and for that they should never be forgiven.

We had stared relegation in the face for several seasons, and it was no fluke that we got relegated with arguably the worst City team I have ever witnessed.  Roeder had assembled this team, not for the benefit of NCFC, but for the benefit of himself, and his relationship with his premiership manager buddies.  He took premiership loan players on, as a favour to his "mates", to get them fit, give them match time and  possibly put them in the shop window.  He had no interest in the history or future of NCFC whatsoever, just his own reputation with his peer group.  Relegation cannot be blamed on Gunny.  It would have taken something of biblical proportions to have motivated that bunch of mercenaries into playing their socks off for Norwich City (a club those players couldn''t care less about).    What we have now however, is a manager who has the interests of NCFC 100% at heart, who is well aware of the history of the club (he and his team were a huge part of it personally), and has rebuilt a squad with this in mind. The players he has signed obviously see NCFC as a step up in their careers, rather than a step down and a bit of a giggle whilst earning a fortune. And he has been backed by a new board, who have clearly identified the failings of the previous board.  I believe this will be a recipe for success next season. 

And yes, of course I''m point scoring and being petty with my original post.  The aggro I received by my pro Gunn stance last season was ridiculous, and now seeing the tide changing slightly on this board with more positive posts about Gunn, who wouldn''t do the same??

[/quote]

Pre season means nothing, so dont get on your high horse yet. We have a third division team with a third division manager, you must be very easily pleased!

I thought Gunn was the wrong appointment after Roeder''s sacking, and I was furious at his reappointment in the summer. I would be thrilled to be proved wrong. Surely most of those who were against Gunn''s appointment would prefer to see the club do well than to be proved right.

[quote user="No Quarter"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="No Quarter"]

[/quote]

Oh do behave No Quarter.

[/quote]

I wouldn''t say it means nothing, surely going into a new season having won a few pre season matches enables you to hit the ground running.  Surely the players will be more confident following yesterdays win, than they would if we''d been spanked 6-0??  If we do have a good season and get promoted, I want you to issue a hand written apology to Gunny and his family following the dispicable things you have written about them, and then make your way to the City Hall for a public flogging [:)] 

[/quote]

You should be aware that I enjoy a good flogging especially in public![;)]

[quote user="St. Cluck"]

Thank Christ I''m going away for a few weeks to avoid this juvenile tripe.....It''s already forgotten that we''re in Division Three it seems and come May mid table will be heralded as a success.

Delia Smith wins again........

[/quote]Could I be the first to wish you a very happy trip. In fact, why don''t you take a really extended holiday and come back after the season finishes? That way you would be able to criticise the management, Board, players and supporters with the benefit of full 20/20 hindsight and without the inconvenience of watching any football (or is it listening to commentaries?).

Relegation cannot be blamed on Gunny.[/quote]

Disagree, he has to take some blame. Im glad hes doing well and think he will do well for the future and of course I love the bloke. But you cant blame it all on players. He had enough games to turn it around and didnt. I blame the board for relegation, but a small, and I do mean small, amount of blame has to lay with GUNN.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="No Quarter"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="No Quarter"]

[/quote]

Oh do behave No Quarter.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You should be aware that I enjoy a good flogging especially in public![;)]

[/quote]

Is that flogging or dogging??[:P][:P]

no humble pie

My Dad pasted away five years ago but always said that Bryan Gunn would be a great manager for NCFC.

So when he was announced back in Jan I couldnt believe it and have always wanted it to work, even after relegation.

[quote user="ncfclad"]no humble pie My Dad pasted away five years ago but always said that Bryan Gunn would be a great manager for NCFC. So when he was announced back in Jan I couldnt believe it and have always wanted it to work, even after relegation.[/quote]

I hope it works out, your dad would be chuffed. All the best mate.

[quote user="ncfclad"]no humble pie My Dad pasted away five years ago but always said that Bryan Gunn would be a great manager for NCFC. So when he was announced back in Jan I couldnt believe it and have always wanted it to work, even after relegation.[/quote]

[Y][Y]

Pre-season means absolutely nothing. For example, I''m pretty sure Spurs had a good pre-season last year and then took 2 points from 8 games.

We had stared relegation in the face for several seasons, and it was no fluke that we got relegated with arguably the worst City team I have ever witnessed.  Roeder had assembled this team, not for the benefit of NCFC, but for the benefit of himself, and his relationship with his premiership manager buddies.  He took premiership loan players on, as a favour to his "mates", to get them fit, give them match time and  possibly put them in the shop window.  He had no interest in the history or future of NCFC whatsoever, just his own reputation with his peer group.  Relegation cannot be blamed on Gunny.  It would have taken something of biblical proportions to have motivated that bunch of mercenaries into playing their socks off for Norwich City (a club those players couldn''t care less about).    What we have now however, is a manager who has the interests of NCFC 100% at heart, who is well aware of the history of the club (he and his team were a huge part of it personally), and has rebuilt a squad with this in mind. The players he has signed obviously see NCFC as a step up in their careers, rather than a step down and a bit of a giggle whilst earning a fortune. And he has been backed by a new board, who have clearly identified the failings of the previous board.  I believe this will be a recipe for success next season. 

And yes, of course I''m point scoring and being petty with my original post.  The aggro I received by my pro Gun stance last season was ridiculous, and now seeing the tide changing slightly on this board with more positive posts about Gunn, who wouldn''t do the same??

[/quote]

100% the bloke was a complete fool. I''m no  fan  of Delia but Rodent certainly pi**** up  her back  as well  as the fans with  all  the loans  players who  didn''t care.