Sign in to follow this  
Canary Man of Kent

Askou offered contract

Must say he looked very good and if signed could turn out to be our best defender!

Agree with the others - if we can get Askou and Maric in then I think Gunn will have given us a decent chance of mounting a serious promotion challenge this season.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Must say he looked very good and if signed could turn out to be our best defender![/quote]

I think Nelson was our best defensive aquistion and seeing as Docherty is team captain it looks as though Askou could be a backup

Was impressed with Askou on Saturday, even though I wasn''t sure who he was at the time, hope he signs.

This could actually prove to be a very important signing if it happens. I wouldn''t be suprised if Doc & Nelson notched up a few suspensions between them this season, and with Stefanovic nowhere to be seen, someone like Askou would be essential. (Provided he doesn''t end up being a first-choice, which also wouldn''t suprise me irrespective of captaincy allocations).

Another situation of having to bring in endless centre back loans (like last season), or worse putting Adam Drury at centre back (like last season) would be horrendous to have to watch again.

God bless Steeno.

From what I''ve heard about him on Saturday Askou sounds good enough to be a first choice centre back.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Must say he looked very good and if signed could turn out to be our best defender![/quote]

couldnt agree more...

my reasoning is that Nelson has played in the lower leagues and is aware of the rough and tumble that goes on......I see him as someone we need in the first eleven. I''d like to have a younger centre back with him (Askou) rather than pairing him with a some times hit or miss Doc......just my two cents though

[quote user="Rum ol boy"]

I think Nelson was our best defensive aquistion and seeing as Docherty is team captain it looks as though Askou could be a backup

[/quote]

Having seen Nelson on Saturday I would have to say i am very dubious. A big lump who will win balls in the air no problme but on the floor looked very immobile. Perhaps harsh to judge on the basis of one performance but i''m not sure i''d have him in the starting line-up.

Having seen Nelson on Saturday I would have to say i am very dubious. A big lump who will win balls in the air no problme but on the floor looked very immobile. Perhaps harsh to judge on the basis of one performance but i''m not sure i''d have him in the starting line-up.

But he will be the sort of player we need in a few games when we are playing the roughty toughty stuff.

Is Askou quick?

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

But he will be the sort of player we need in a few games when we are playing the roughty toughty stuff.

Is Askou quick?

[/quote]

Yes he did seem quite quick ...well quicker than the Doc annnyway :L

[quote user="lynn canary"]My nans quicker than the Doc[/quote]

This is an example of the kind of stick the doc unfairly gets when actually he is very quick for a cb and will certainly be the quickest CB we have at the club. A few years ago over 100m was second only to huckerby in our squad when they did time trials in training.

It is easy to slag the Doc off.

Some people like to have a player they can bash, Hughes, Fozzy, Semmy............

I am not the biggest fan of the Doc but i will admit that he is easily our best leader and is the right person to lead us to promotion.

Fully agree with that statement, thought Nelson played well at Dartford but was a bit worried about his lack of pace.

Wonder if Gunny is now considering playing Askou alongside Docs at the start of the season as reports on the tour of Scotland said

players were getting past Nelson quite easily with pace.

Docs is often critised by City fans for being out of position but if you watched most of our games you will have noticed he is always

having to cover other defenders mistakes, should have been player of the year and think him and Askou would be a good partnership