Sign in to follow this  
CanaryJames

Spillane's Best Position

Almost certain he''ll be used in the defence rather than the midfield when he is used, but question marks over whether he''ll feature at RB or CB?

He needs to nail down one position and work on making it his own.

So what are peoples thoughts on his best position? If he''s going to be used as a RB, then we need to bring in another CB (as well as Askou) in my opinion. Similarly, if he''s going to be used as a CB, we need to bring in another RB.

What 4 centre backs (Dejan, Askou, Doc and Nelson) isn''t enough? With Stephens and Dumic as cover?

I think he could cover right back as backup for Otsemabor, although i would rather have a new right back, but it ain''t gonna happen.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Unfortunately for him probably on the bench, the fact that he can play in these different positions makes him the ideal sub[/quote]

I''d agree 100% with that. He''d definitely be a bench player for the early games at least.

I''m just going on the 2 players for each position theory, with the assumption that Stefanovic won''t be fit or playing here this season. Whatever people''s thoughts on Dejan, you''ve got to assume the worse after an injury like that at his age.

ie) RB: Otsemobor, Spillane or new RB?
     CB: Nelson, Doherty
     CB: Askou, Spillane or new CB?

I''d rather have 2 fully established and natural players in each position than rely on someone like Tudor-Jones to fill in. I don''t think Dumic or Stephens are ready yet either. Give them another year and perhaps a loan move and they''ll be almost there. Finally with Stefanovic, he won''t be fit at the start of the season (I''m guessing) so we''ve got to count him out for now, especially given his wages - which mean he may well leave anyway once fit.

Say T-J''s having a great season at CM, then we lose a couple of CB''s. Could we cope with losing his presence in the midfield?

The indications to me are that Dejan will be returning as there hasn''t been any info to say otherwise as yet? And Gunn''s recent chats indicate that he had 3 centre backs prior to signing his fourth.

I know people keep going on about his age, but didn''t he say that this was his first real long term injury in his playing career? An injury like this doesn''t mean he''s a crock. I think we should wait and see.

I''d agree 100% with that. He''d definitely be a bench player for the early games at least.

I''m just going on the 2 players for each position theory, with the assumption that Stefanovic won''t be fit or playing here this season. Whatever people''s thoughts on Dejan, you''ve got to assume the worse after an injury like that at his age.

ie) RB: Otsemobor, Spillane or new RB?
     CB: Nelson, Doherty
     CB: Askou, Spillane or new CB?

everyone forgets stefanovic don'' they?

It''s up to him in training to show Gunn that he is worthy of a place in the 1st 11. CB is his prefered choice and to play there, he still needs bulking up in my eyes.