Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Does anyone else fınd the statement 'rebate money buys Holt' a bit weırd?

Dont get me wrong here I am delıghted that we''ve sıgned the bıg man.

It just seems a bıt odd that they make such a bold statement about rebate money buyıng what could be a major pıece of the jıgsaw. As someone who had theır tıcket rebate claımed am I meant to feel guılty that my rebate was claımed?

Maybe Im just beıng overly cynıcal (thıs ıs cıty we''re talkıng about [:P]) or maybe I am correct to be slıghtly wary of the ıntentıons of theır statement.

Am I rıght to thınk they are tryıng to make those of us who claımed guılty or should I just gıve them the benefıt of the doubt?

What do you guys thınk?

If they don''t say it about someone then thgey''ll be accused of pocketing the money!If you listen to the press conference Gunn seemed to be lead there through a series of questions asked explicitly about the rebate money by a journalist.

You are probably right there 7rew however I hope our ''this is the big one'' signing was not reliant on fans not accepting an offer the previous incompetent board made.

I can''t see McNally allowing such a precarious situation to debvelop on his watch.

They promised to spend the money on new players and so it would be more cynical if they had just used it to pay the existing wages bill. I didn''t claim my rebate and now suspect that I am the proud owner of Grant Holt''s left nipple. I will monitor it''s progress through the season...

Nope.

Would guess it was said to show that the fans who did leave their money in that it was worthwhile. Think you''re reading too much into it.

[quote user="7rew"]If they don''t say it about someone then they''ll be accused of pocketing the money!If you listen to the press conference Gunn seemed to be lead there through a series of questions asked explicitly about the rebate money by a journalist.[/quote]They will anyway, what have they done with the Clingan money? [;)]

Do you think he meant to say, if more people had followed suit, we could have bought Lee as well ?, anyone on a guilt trip yet, ?

I definately think that it wasnt meant to be having a go at anyone. More likely they realised what a bad PR error the thing was and wanted to try to make themselves look good by saying specifically where the money went.

Personally though, I think the rebate money will not make the slightest difference to what they would or would not have done this summer. 350k isnt much in the overall budget and I bet Foulger was gonna but his piece in anyway.

But what if we sell him for a profit do we get a bit of interest back or a reduced price for our next season ticket? just a thought thats all, something like a reward and pay back for showing loyalty

To be fair i think the Board are basically saying ''we''ve spent the rebate money,don''t expect much more'' which is fair enough. As said already,if they didn''t come out with the comment people would think they''ve squandered the money. I''ll give the Board the benifit on this one. Shame it got to this in the first place.

Anyone thought that this is a mjor bluff to tell opposing clubs we dont have much money left after the purchase of Holt. Then when we enquire on players they dont over-inflate the price tags?? Just a thought that they are playing a clever game :)

[quote user="pete_norw"]Do you think he meant to say, if more people had followed suit, we could have bought Lee as well ?, anyone on a guilt trip yet, ?[/quote]

Nope, division 3 prices, for division 3 football. [:)]

I''ve acually made a  very similar point on anothet thread. Not only is it offensive to even start to suggest that it is the 1 in 3 who gave the club Div 2 money for Div 3 football that made the signing of Holt possible it also piles far too much pressure on his shoulders.

In reality we would not have needed the rebate money if the board had not wasted so many millions of pounds on failed managers and flawed policies as they spent years penny pinching on the football side of the business. Indeed I would go so far as to say we would not even have been looking at players of the pedigree of Grant Holt had the club been even remotely well managed and to get this from a manager who took us from a position of safety to relegation with an appauling track record, defies belief.

Poorly chosen words from Mr Gunn. I wonder who put them in his mouth....

[quote user="CT "]

It just seems a bıt odd that they make such a bold statement about rebate money buyıng what could be a major pıece of the jıgsaw. As someone who had theır tıcket rebate claımed am I meant to feel guılty that my rebate was claımed?

Maybe Im just beıng overly cynıcal (thıs ıs cıty we''re talkıng about [:P]) or maybe I am correct to be slıghtly wary of the ıntentıons of theır statement.

Am I rıght to thınk they are tryıng to make those of us who claımed guılty or should I just gıve them the benefıt of the doubt?

What do you guys thınk?

[/quote]

I think the fact you can come on here with the ordasity to not use any dots on your i''s is a bit weird.

[quote user="refjezhitchin"][quote user="CT "]

What do you guys thınk?

[/quote]

I think the fact you can come on here with the ordasity to not use any dots on your i''s is a bit weird.

[/quote]That''s a rum ''un

To me it''s neither a guilt trip or a stetement of intent to other clubs.

It was the board trying to build bridges with the fans, by telling the fans exactly who the rebate money has brought the fans know that it was worth them not claiming it and that the board have learnt from previous mistakes by using it to buy players, not to fund some off field activity.

I don''t think there''s anything cynical in this what so ever like i say, just a genuine attempt to build bridges with the more disgruntled fans who no longer have any trust left in the board.

[quote user="fleggy"]''ordasity'' - pot, kettle, black methinks.[/quote]

explain

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]

[quote user="fleggy"]''ordasity'' - pot, kettle, black methinks.[/quote]

explain

[/quote]Audacity!

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]You missed the ''i'' in this bumpy![/quote]Not dotting the i''s is harder than it looks [:''(]

I don''t find it weird at all, and not sure what CT means. I left my rebate with the Club, after a good deal of soul searching, and am pleased that it has been spent on a type of player that we have all been saying we need for two or more seasons. This close season has been remarkable for the openness with which Gunn has gone about getting players into the squad. This announcement seems part of that. What on earth is the point of picking holes in it?

its short as it is long really .

they could say anything and we would just have thier word for it .

so what about the money from marshall ..?

we were told foulgers money plus rebates were nearly 700k holt cost(could be wrong) nearer 500k .

so if thats the case we still have 200k for another player then !!!