Sign in to follow this  
fish-ncfc

goran maric

He was offered a contract, I''m guessing he''s signed it?He was injured last I know, to what extent, I''m not sure. Hopefully not badly.

[quote user="AJ"]He was offered a contract, I''m guessing he''s signed it?

He was injured last I know, to what extent, I''m not sure. Hopefully not badly.
[/quote]

Whoa there Mr Presumptious, what makes you think he''s signed a contract? Don''t you think we''d have heard by now if he had? More likely he''s still weighing up his options, of which there are apparently many...

[quote user="canaryjock"]

[quote user="AJ"]He was offered a contract, I''m guessing he''s signed it?

He was injured last I know, to what extent, I''m not sure. Hopefully not badly.
[/quote]

Whoa there Mr Presumptious, what makes you think he''s signed a contract? Don''t you think we''d have heard by now if he had? More likely he''s still weighing up his options, of which there are apparently many...

[/quote]

I don''t think he was presuming, I think he was guessing.

“I will just reiterate what I said - I know the player''s decision but it wouldn''t be right of me to give that decision out now,” Gunn said.

“We have made him an offer, he has had other offers on the table from other clubs so as a matter of, I suppose, sensitivity we won''t be commenting on the decision, but I do know his decision.”

Doesn''t sound that positive to me...

[quote user="Salahuddin"]“I will just reiterate what I said - I know the player''s decision but it wouldn''t be right of me to give that decision out now,” Gunn said. [/quote]

Thats his biggest error, he would have been better just saying "we are waiting to hear"

My guess is it''s something to do with Palace. He was on trial there and maybe they offered him a deal too. In which case, whichever way he has jumped, they may want to keep it quiet until after that game to avoid embarassment. Fair enough.

[quote user="SNAP"]My guess is it''s something to do with Palace. He was on trial there and maybe they offered him a deal too. In which case, whichever way he has jumped, they may want to keep it quiet until after that game to avoid embarassment. Fair enough.[/quote]

Definitely the most plausible explanation I''ve heard.

It''s strange becuase if we received a flat ''NO'' I can''t see why it wouldn''t have been announced (especially as they could have snuk it in with the Grant Holt arrival). Yet if we had received a ''YES'' you imagine this would only be subject to a medical etc which is generally announced too (maybe as he''s unattached they didn''t want to do this in the case that if he failed it would become public knowledge and scupper his chances at getting another club?)

I''m sure it will become clear tomorrow!

Gunn and mcnally don''t discuss things until they''re all done which suggests he could be in the having a medical category. However, gunns comments don''t sound positive to me. My guess is he''s joining palace.

Yes, he''s going to sign for Palace isn''t he?

Gunn''s quote is about as negative about the prospects of him signing as it could be, without saying he isn''t coming in-which he couild have-so I agree, he''s off to Palace (no doubt they were watching him whilst he was on trial and playing in Scotland?) but won''t be involved tonight and the deal with them won''t be announced until tomorrow.

Would love for all of that to be conspiritorial bollocks and that he does sign-but....

Maybe the Wiggins deal was smoothed through more easily on the understanding we backed off re.Maric?

More conspiritorial musings!

He only played once for palace and i dont believe they were keen.  Lets not forget they still have Lee and would imagine Maric is at a similar level.  Surely he''s on route for a medical and Gunn just doesnt want to alert others.  Cant see why he wouldnt say Goran has opted to pursue other options otherwise

I''m very encouraged by the comments and I take them as a clear indication that he WILL be signing....

“I will just reiterate what I said - I know the player''s decision but it wouldn''t be right of me to give that decision out now”

If he had said no, Gunn could easily say that he rejected our offer and is considering his other options. There is no reason why you should delay announcing that. Why keep having to answer questions about a player you knew had turned us down when you could stop the speculation?

“We have made him an offer, he has had other offers on the table from other clubs so as a matter of, I suppose, sensitivity we won''t be commenting on the decision, but I do know his decision.”

I think the sensitivity here is the potential for the other clubs to come back with a larger offer. If we say he''s signing for us before he''s put pen to paper, it leaves the door open for the other clubs to improve their terms and hijack the deal.

I honestly believe he will be a city player by the Wigan game.

Update from Cam

There are rumours about tonight that Maric has said he is willing to join Norwich City (this is from the Maric end) and I stress it is a rumour.  Personally we cannot stand it up at the moment although one of the Belgrade papers thinks it is on which sadly also proves nothing.  We can''t get to the agent who has gone into "not commenting" mode but has at least reappeared from the Urals which is a relief all round.  

I have no idea why there is any delay in this: it could be agreeing final terms, it might be waiting for international clearance for him to join you or it might be a wrangle over how much the agent gets thup who did after all set it up via DVD.   Many a slip tween cup and lip as they say.

Crucially we cannot find out whether Maric is still in Belgrade.  His personal agent is definitely not in Norwich but he is being represented in the UK by a third party agency (common process for that area of the world) and I''m afraid it''s a no comment this end as well.

At least Goran now has an agent who is answering his phone again but sadly not prepared to talk to us at the moment.

I think if we get him then great, and if Palace get him then surely we can go back with a cheeky offer for Lee as he will be even further down the pecking order!

What I dont get out of all of this is why we know whether he is signing for us or not, why is it so sensative?Surely Gunn can say No - unfortunately he is not signing for us if that is the case. I can understand if he is mulling over offers but Gunn has said that so where exactly is the sensative bit?

The sensitive bit is he is probably signing imminently and Gunn doesnt want to alert other suitors that at this moment in time he remains available

Basically, the way i see it, he has chosen to go elsewhere but the other club do not wish to announce it yet so we can''t either.

Surely if he had said yes to us then we would surely come out and tell everyone that we are just finalising everything etc. What is sensitive about him accepting us and turning others down????

Having said that, surely if he''d said no to us we''d just come out and say ''he has declined our offer, we know he has other offers on the table and we presume he will be going elsewhere''

But then why have Kris Bright on trial????

Oh i don''t know, this is an irritating game that is starting to frustrate me..................................

If he had turned us down there would be no reason at all for us not to say so. Why would we want to be sensitive to other clubs if he has rejected us. Gunn would just have said he''s decided to pursue options elsewhere. Much more likely he has truned down other clubs and Gunn wants him to be able to tell them personally.

It wouldn''t suprise me if Maric has received another offer which appeals to him more than Norwich. I reckon he''s having a trial right now with the other club, and Maric has told Gunn if it doesn''t work out at this club he''ll sign for Norwich. (i..e. Norwich is a fall-back/second choice). Until the trial is completed and news of whether or not the other club have offered Maric a contract, Gunn can''t move on it. Gunn''ll be well aware that Norwich is Maric''s second choice, so won''t be exactly chuffed about it. But if the other club has a greater stature in it''s own country, it''s fairly understandable.

That''s how I *think* I see things.

I hope CUSDP is right that we are about to sign Askou and Maric as I think they would both add strength in depth to the squad.If you believe Colin and the South London Press, Palace are not interested in Maric!

"Crystal Palace boss Neil Warnock is not expected to offer deals to Goran Maric or Danny Maguire.

The pair both played for the Eagles in their opening pre-season

friendly on Thursday, with former Barcelona B striker Maric scoring the

opening goal in their 4-0 win.

But the South London Press understands that Warnock doesn''t believe

that Maric, who is set to train with Norwich this week, is the answer

to boosting his attacking firepower.

Former QPR midfielder Danny Maguire, who spent time training with

the Eagles towards the end of last season, looks set to miss out on a

deal too as Warnock intends to spend his budget in other areas"

I''ve just had a text from ''a source'', the very same one that told me about Grant Holt

I can confirm that Maric has indeed been offered another deal with an English side. He has been told that there is no guaratee of first team football with this other team, however City have, this may swing things back into our direction. This team only offered the deal to Maric once we offered him a deal. I don''t have any details on the side or the terms that they have offered however i would think that this almost definately is Crystal Palace.

Things will develop during the week and City are confident that Maric will sign for us later in the week.

Watch this space!

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]

I''ve just had a text from ''a source'', the very same one that told me about Grant Holt

I can confirm that Maric has indeed been offered another deal with an English side. He has been told that there is no guaratee of first team football with this other team, however City have, this may swing things back into our direction. This team only offered the deal to Maric once we offered him a deal. I don''t have any details on the side or the terms that they have offered however i would think that this almost definately is Crystal Palace.

Things will develop during the week and City are confident that Maric will sign for us later in the week.

Watch this space!

[/quote]

I can''t see Gunn or any other manager guaranteeing a player first team football. He may say that he ''sees him as a big part of his plans'' but either way, I doubt whether he would then communicate this to anyone else (no disrespect to your ''source''). If this became public knowledge what impact would it have on the strikers - knowing that another player was guaranteed a start?

[quote user="Stevo"][quote user="Sideshow Tim"]

Watch this space!

[/quote]

I can''t see Gunn or any other manager guaranteeing a player first team football. He may say that he ''sees him as a big part of his plans'' but either way, I doubt whether he would then communicate this to anyone else (no disrespect to your ''source''). If this became public knowledge what impact would it have on the strikers - knowing that another player was guaranteed a start?

[/quote]

But a manager will have his thoughts on who should in the first team and this is what is being referred to. I''m only passing on what i''ve been told!

This is a very odd situation.If he is signing for another club then how would a simple ''No he wont be signing for us unfortunately, he has rejected our contract offer'' give away who he may or may not be signing for.I can believe that he is on trial or that another club has made an offer to him - we already know part of that as Gunn said he had offers from other clubs on the table to consider.Here is the dilema. He has probably been offered contracts by clubs at higher levels but for the same money. You look at the top leagues around the world and you will see that most are unlike the premeirship - they are more like 5-10 premiership teams and the rest championship level teams.He has choices - does he want to be remembered as a great footballer, to have a club where he has the chance to be genuinely loved. Or does he want to sign for a club that cannot even guarantee him football.I would not be surprised if Gunn has offered him regular football. Lets not forget that our strikeforce is not brilliant. Grant Holt, Martin, Cureton and Cody. Martin is still young and learning, Cureton is getting no younger and missing more and Cody is good but very fresh.Maric could be competition for Holt and could also play alongside him if you have quick wingers who can put in decent balls to the box and also link up with the strikers in attack.