Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

Does anybody think our current squad would cope in the Championship?

I''ve read plenty of posts saying Gunn''s done excellently getting our squad together, and few think it''s worth a punt on promotion.  So here''s a slightly different angle.  If we''d stayed up, and Gunn assembled the same squad, do you think we''d cope or be relegation fodder?

good question shake and vac...

although I think if we somehow managed to avoid relegation we would not have the current squad, seems quite a simple fact but I believe the board would still be in a ''comfort zone'' and not acted the way they have in the transfer market.

no way of knowing (unless we got up this term) but for what it is worth i would bet on this side staying in the champ quite easily. Problem is getting there. Is it good enough to get to the Championship? It''s harder to get in than stay in I would say.

I''ve read plenty of posts saying Gunn''s done excellently getting our squad together, and few think it''s worth a punt on promotion.  So here''s a slightly different angle.  If we''d stayed up, and Gunn assembled the same squad, do you think we''d cope or be relegation fodder?

Relegation fodder.

This team would get stuffed in the Championship I reckon. If we stayed up and made exactly the same signings (perhaps bar two or three) then I would be very worried indeed.

I think if we had stayed up we would have targeted lower Premiership players (like Ryan France from Hull on a free) and players like Leroy Lita who were looking for another easy payday. I think we would have stagnated into another mid table or lower league finish.

Hopefully this season will give us a confidence boost and return us to this "winning mentality" that everyone is banging on about.

To answer your question more directly, I think if the squad we have now played in the Championship we would struggle, players like Doc and Nelson would struggle against quality strikers like Ched Evans and I''m not convinced we would have finished any higher than 12th at best.

However, for the league we are in, I think the squad has a nice shape, for me, the hard work for Gunn and his team starts here - in getting the players he has (who in theory are good enough) to play as a TEAM.

I think this team could get in the middle between mid-table and relegation avoiding... my prediction would be like 16th.

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]

good question shake and vac...

although I think if we somehow managed to avoid relegation we would not have the current squad, seems quite a simple fact but I believe the board would still be in a ''comfort zone'' and not acted the way they have in the transfer market.

[/quote]Cope yes, excel probably not. Whilst it is too early to judge their capabilities, I think they could escape the bottom three in the Championship simply because I think Gunn is building a team that will play as a team. Not sure Roeder''s loan policy ever did that except when they could all follow on behind the shirt tails of Evans or Lita scoring ability. This doesn''t mean we have any guarantee of finishing top six in Div 1. Far from it - our opponents will not all have been sitting on their hands and some will have the ability to hurt us from an early stage. But Gunn has done well in assembling his squad and whilst there will be some duds, with a bit of luck from the refereeing decisions we could have a squad which could challenge at Championship level.

At a push yes, but we''d be lucky. Of the player''s Gunn''s brought in Hughes sounds like quality, particularly if McGee wanted to take him to Aberdeen and I think Holt could cut with most mid table championship sides as well, but can''t see any of the new arrivals being championship standard yet. They need a season to gell together to get them up to that level, which is unfortunately exactly what we''ve got. I do however feel that we''ve got a top 6 Div 3 side and that we will be up there with Leeds and Huddersfield challenging for automatic promotion come the end of the season. Won''t be surprised if it''s a slow start though, with so many new faces I can''t see us coming out of the blocks that quickly, will probably be october before we really start to see the team playing well.That said if we''re not top six by christmas or at the very least starting to win games then Gunn will have to go!

The current side would be comfortably relegated in the league above.  \i think people have got far to carried away and need to reserve judgement on results

funny you should say that i was thinking the same thing!!!

we seem to have alot more depth than last year and the players are certainly bigger.

i think we would hold our own in the championship with the team we have now .

we have young players who want to win and how ever anyone takes pre season friendlies i must admit to go unbeaten so far proves we have a good squad .

top 6 finish this season i feel .

Teams play well under good managers, im unsure with Gunn will deliver, but i hope he proves me wrong!!

Roedent brought good players but couldn''t get them to play, this lot are not proven, which may be a good thing in the terms they want to play at a higher level.....it will be an interesting time!!

roll on the football!

Take a look at recent teams who have been promoted to the championship. Swansea for example, have no real stars in their side (maybe scotland) and have been very comfortable in the championship. they know how to win games, something that we have not been very consistant at recently. If we get to a good start and the team gels over the season then this team may be strong enough for the championship. i think the team is in a better physical shape for championship football, we have the muscle but just need the fire power!

There are so many variables that come into play in reality above and beyond the component parts of a team that it''s impossible to say really until we see this lot in competitive action.It''s not just who they are but how they perform together - having said that, I think that it''s difficult to envisage any team surrendering to relegation much more lamely than the motley crew that we finished last season with.  

[quote user="bristol_canary"]Take a look at recent teams who have been promoted to the championship. Swansea for example, have no real stars in their side (maybe scotland) and have been very comfortable in the championship. they know how to win games, something that we have not been very consistant at recently. If we get to a good start and the team gels over the season then this team may be strong enough for the championship. i think the team is in a better physical shape for championship football, we have the muscle but just need the fire power!
[/quote]

Agreed!

[quote user="macdougall''s perm"]There are so many variables that come into play in reality above and beyond the component parts of a team that it''s impossible to say really until we see this lot in competitive action.It''s not just who they are but how they perform together - having said that, I think that it''s difficult to envisage any team surrendering to relegation much more lamely than the motley crew that we finished last

Agreed!

Maybe it''s the weather making everything look more rosy, but moral does look very high in the players i''ve seen in the friendlies, a lot of smiles and everyone putting in 100%. Behaviourally we look a lot more confident than last season even in the better performances like vs Watford or QPR.

I think we''ll have better idea of the answer to this question after tonight, think we''ll be competitive in midfield and defence as those players have had time to play together, but at the moment we lack the fire power to really push Palace close. Holt will need a little more time to get himself fit and develop an understanding with Hoolahan and Martin before he starts banging them in. Will be looking to the midfield to create lots of chances tonight but don''t see us putting too many away.

I''m doubtful this squad will cope with League 1 let alone the Chumps.........we''re doing it on the cheap again......and look where thats got us!

The squad looks good enough for me to stay in the Championship, it should do very well in this league, but I still think Gunn has to prove himself as a manager, how will he deal with subs,players etc. Gunn doing well so far but time will tell.

for this squad to survive in the Championshion i think we would need a very very good center back and another striker...im hoping this team is good enough to get us promoted[Y]

Who knows really..

Who expected Ipswich to do so well when they last got promoted to the Prem or who expected That quality West Ham side to get religated under Glenn Roeder??

Football is a funny game.

[quote user="First Wizard"]I believe this squad won''t even cope with League 1, let alone anywhere else![/quote]honestly???? i hope you are eating those words come the end of the season!!!

[quote user="First Wizard"]I believe this squad won''t even cope with League 1, let alone anywhere else![/quote]

I''m not convinced that you know what you believe [:D]

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]I believe this squad won''t even cope with League 1, let alone anywhere else![/quote]

I''m not convinced that you know what you believe [:D]

[/quote]

Nor I these days MP, I only know I have little confidence in the squad, and even less in the manager, it stinks of on the cheap again.

[quote user="First Wizard"]I''m doubtful this squad will cope with League 1 let alone the Chumps.........we''re doing it on the cheap again......and look where thats got us![/quote] Spot on Mr Wizzard , to many idiots getting carried away on the back of a few free signings and some meaningless pre season friendlies , this squad wont gain promotion and would be relegation certainties a league higher .

[quote user="Freebie City F.C."][quote user="First Wizard"]I''m doubtful this squad will cope with League 1 let alone the Chumps.........we''re doing it on the cheap again......and look where thats got us![/quote] Spot on Mr Wizzard , to many idiots getting carried away on the back of a few free signings and some meaningless pre season friendlies , this squad wont gain promotion and would be relegation certainties a league higher .
[/quote]

Who''s getting carried away? I would agree with you that it''s impossible to make judgements on the strength of ''some meaningless pre season friendlies''. Doesn''t seem to have stopped you doing so though does it? [*-)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]I believe this squad won''t even cope with League 1, let alone anywhere else![/quote]If we won''t cope with league one...you''re essentially saying this squad will be relegated? I''d be willing to place any bet where the money goes to the academy that we won''t be relegated...as would many people i think Wiz....[:)]