Sign in to follow this  
super dave

Russell to Burnley

From what I heard tonight from a customer at work, Russell''s move to Burnley should be completed by Thursday for a fee of 650kLast week Preston had a bid of 500k accepted by Norwich, which was then matched by Burnley but Norwich rejected Burnley''s original offer as they''re now a premiership club and Norwich felt they should be able to squeeze a little bit more out of them.Luckily Burnley have upped their offer and it should all be concluded shortlyI feel that we were lucky they did up their offer and should''ve been more than happy to accept the original bid of 500k as the whole deal could have collapsed over 150kHopefully the money received will go straight into the transfer kitty

Let''s hope it all goes through.

I wish him well as think he is a good player who suffered last season.  Think he will go to Burnley and be a revelation and look well worth the 650K.

Fingers crossed- would be excellent news all round.

A second target man,  some midfield creativity or a right back should come next - esp with the keeper playing tonight

If Burnley pay 650k for Russell they need their heads examining.  Firstly he isn''t a Premiership player, and when everyone was fit last year he couldn''t get into our midfield and look where we ended up.  I wish him well as he always put it in but this would be a great bit of business for Norwich.

I think if we get Maric in then it is the midfield that could do with some money spending on it.

Selling 2 of our midfield for £1m or thereabouts surely justifies bringing in some quality.  Would love to see us get someone like a young Ian Crook!

if we sign maric, any money we make i would keep hold of until january. At that point we might need the cash to replace someone etc. Also, currently we have a lot of new players to bed in... not saying one more will be too much but without say, cureton going i can''t see where we''d need to bring someone in for. GK - Theoklitos, Alnwick, RuddDR - Otsemobor, Spillane DL - Drury, Wiggins, HaberghamDC - Doherty, Nelson, Stefanovic, Stephens, Dumic, (Askou)ML - Hoolahan, Lappin, McVeigh, LathropeMR - Whaley, Pattison, SmithMC - Hughes, Adeyemi, Tudor-Jones, Gill SC -  Holt, (Maric, Bright), KellySC - McDonald, Martin, Cureton, DaleyYou would only poss go for a right-back here, but i think with Spillane there and the youngster at Spurs Mtandari a possible signing we''re probably okay. For a League One side that is a pretty big squad and dare I say it, quite a strong squad as well.

May be wrong but my impression is that we wont get Maric. I do feel injury/suspension/form cover for Holt is essential though so who else is there?  Back to lee? 

I think you are probably right there Chirp, would be nice to have a financial cushion in case injuries hit us like last year.  Even if it is only to bring in loanees to cover long term absences at least we would not end up stricken.

Keeping the cash until Jan is soley dependant on bringing in a striker (targetman) before the season starts. I think Maric will sign, if not let''s see how bright gets on this evening. I would imagine he''ll put on a performance especially with knowledge of Maric''s possible arrival in the back of his mind.It''s obvious, but although we need strength in depth, we can only start with 11 and have 7 on the bench... we don''t want to have a players sitting in the stands twiddling their thumbs so to an extent, two in each position like right or left back is enough. In midfield we have more than enough cover. Central that is. Hughes I would imagine will be first choice, and then there are fellow newbies Gill and OTJ and then Smith who has a good reputation at Colney and of course man/boy of the moment Adeyemi, whose performance on Saturday made many a Canary fan piddle on their chair :-).

[quote user="The Chirp"]if we sign maric, any money we make i would keep hold of until january. At that point we might need the cash to replace someone etc.

Also, currently we have a lot of new players to bed in... not saying one more will be too much but without say, cureton going i can''t see where we''d need to bring someone in for.

GK - Theoklitos, Alnwick, Rudd
DR - Otsemobor, Spillane
DL - Drury, Wiggins, Habergham
DC - Doherty, Nelson, Stefanovic, Stephens, Dumic, (Askou)
ML - Hoolahan, Lappin, McVeigh, Lathrope
MR - Whaley, Pattison, Smith
MC - Hughes, Adeyemi, Tudor-Jones, Gill
SC -  Holt, (Maric, Bright), Kelly
SC - McDonald, Martin, Cureton, Daley

You would only poss go for a right-back here, but i think with Spillane there and the youngster at Spurs Mtandari a possible signing we''re probably okay.

For a League One side that is a pretty big squad and dare I say it, quite a strong squad as well.
[/quote]

A lot of (unproven) youngsters in there.  Adeyemi looks superb but he even if he carries that though to competetive league games he will hit at least one flat spot in the season as far as his form is concerned.

McVeigh is going to be a regular contributor but I suggest rarely for a full game.  He is the only creative cover for Hoolahan who is likely to suffer an injury during the season.  Breaking down defences with guile is a skill we will need as some teams will try to do nothing but defend against us.

out of the youngsters i would only expect to see Smith, Adeyemi, Dumic and Stephens next season... Poss Daley but i doubt it. Pace in this league is key. However without someone like Pattison going I can''t see us bringing in another winger... Like I said above, it means we''ll have an extra body sitting in the stands but getting paid. I wished we went for Andy Barcham or Gillingham. Watch this guy go when we play them this season. His pace is frightening. There aren''t many as good as him in L1 (thankfully).

[quote user="rjwc22"]

I wish him well as think he is a good player who suffered last season.  Think he will go to Burnley and be a revelation and look well worth the 650K.

[/quote]

I strongly doubt it. I feel his tackling is dangerous and poor and his passing is nothing whatsoever to write home about. I have been looking forward to him leaving since I saw him sent off at the Ricoh Arena along with the Doc on his first game back from suspension. I doubt he will be anything but back up for back up and if we get these quoted prices then I''d snatch their hand off.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

[/quote]ha ha ha ha no chance...

[quote user="rjwc22"]I think you are probably right there Chirp, would be nice to have a financial cushion in case injuries hit us like last year.  Even if it is only to bring in loanees to cover long term absences at least we would not end up stricken.[/quote]Hello Mrs. Russell, you obviously want the best for your boy, we do understand.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

I think if we get Maric in then it is the midfield that could do with some money spending on it.

Selling 2 of our midfield for £1m or thereabouts surely justifies bringing in some quality.  Would love to see us get someone like a young Ian Crook!

[/quote]

We need two more experienced strikers first. Hopefully Maric will be one. Who will be the other? Lambert?

[quote user="theunquotableone"]

We need two more experienced strikers first. Hopefully Maric will be one. Who will be the other? Lambert?

[/quote]Just out of interest how do you view Jamie Lad?  If we got Maric and then swapped JC for another experienced striker, would we still need another?I agree Lambert would be lovely, but the realist in me thinks it unlikely unfortunately.

I think Cureton swapped for a Lambert or similar proven striker at this level would be good business. Love Jamie the man, but his passion hasn''t translated to success on the pitch and a move would benefit him and us. Ironically, fate has handed his best possible fixture in our opening game. If he''s involved there and doesn''t score he may as well give up...

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="theunquotableone"]

[/quote]

Just out of interest how do you view Jamie Lad?  If we got Maric and then swapped JC for another experienced striker, would we still need another?

I agree Lambert would be lovely, but the realist in me thinks it unlikely unfortunately.
[/quote]

Assume Maric signs on and becomes the second experienced striker.

I think we would be lucky to give Cureton away on a free (and free up some wage budget)  and I can''t see us getting a good experienced striker in exchange. Thus we have to look for another free or pay some money out for a third experienced striker.

Earlier this summer there were was a comment about Huddersfield and Lambert. A fee of £750k was mentioned but not the wage level. If we offload Russell we may be able to afford Lambert. However you may be right and Lambert is out of our price range.

BTW. I would try to send Daley and Renton (amongst others)out on loan this season.

P.S. I haven''t forgotten your comment about the railways on a different thread and will start a new thread in the non footy section during the next couple of days.

If we were to offer Bristol city Jamie Cureton plus 400k for Rickie Lambert that would be a good deal all round. I really do think Cureton should move on. Things haven''t gone to plan for him here, so maybe he should try his luck elsewhere.

[quote user="Canary02 III"]I think Cureton swapped for a Lambert or similar proven striker at this level would be good business. Love Jamie the man, but his passion hasn''t translated to success on the pitch and a move would benefit him and us. Ironically, fate has handed his best possible fixture in our opening game. If he''s involved there and doesn''t score he may as well give up...[/quote]

Who with half a brain would swap lambert for cureton!!!??? maybe cureton +£1 million and u MIGHT get a deal!

Just because Cureton hasn''t done well here, does not mean he won''t do good elsewhere. I think the pressure just gets to him here. He did good for Barnsley when he went on loan. He still has to be worth 300k-400k.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]Earlier this summer there were was a comment about Huddersfield and Lambert. A fee of £750k was mentioned but not the wage level. If we offload Russell we may be able to afford Lambert. However you may be right and Lambert is out of our price range.[/quote]Tangy, this was the Huddersfield chairmans take on the Lambert situation...........

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1822_5418850,00.html

It could be argued that if he helped us to promotion he would be worth it and the next three years he would be at his prime.

However, if he didn''t live up to expectations and we aren''t promoted we would find ourselves in the same situation as we do with Cureton now.

If true, then once again this proves that our CEO is making quite a difference.

Can you imagine any of these deals going through so well if Doomy was still here? Not a chance!

With a ''hard man'' as Chairman helps too!!

Whatever Gunn does, SPEND the transfer money as soon as!!! If he waits until January it would have disappeared into the black hole of carrow road never to be seen again!!!

[quote user="theunquotableone"][quote user="7rew"][quote user="theunquotableone"]

[/quote]Just out of interest how do you view Jamie Lad?  If we got Maric and then swapped JC for another experienced striker, would we still need another?I agree Lambert would be lovely, but the realist in me thinks it unlikely unfortunately.[/quote]

Assume Maric signs on and becomes the second experienced striker.

I think we would be lucky to give Cureton away on a free (and free up some wage budget)  and I can''t see us getting a good experienced striker in exchange. Thus we have to look for another free or pay some money out for a third experienced striker.

Earlier this summer there were was a comment about Huddersfield and Lambert. A fee of £750k was mentioned but not the wage level. If we offload Russell we may be able to afford Lambert. However you may be right and Lambert is out of our price range.

BTW. I would try to send Daley and Renton (amongst others)out on loan this season.

P.S. I haven''t forgotten your comment about the railways on a different thread and will start a new thread in the non footy section during the next couple of days.

[/quote]I can''t see us getting a good experienced striker in direct exchange either, but I would imagine that wages for cureton and what Lambert (or the ilk) would want would be similar enough.  In my mind then to get a good experienced striker we do then need to be looking at a Cureton + fee deal simply because rid of Curetons wages.I reckon whether we can afford the likes of Lambert probably depends then on how much other clubs value Cureton and Russel - my most optomistic feeling is we could do it but it would be tight.I will look out for that thread, I enjoy that kind of discussion.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="theunquotableonewhostillwontgetridofthatbloodyquestionmark"][quote user="7rew"][quote user="theunquotableone"]We need two more experienced strikers first. Hopefully Maric will be one. Who will be the other? Lambert?[/quote]Just out of interest how do you view Jamie Lad?  If we got Maric and then swapped JC for another experienced striker, would we still need another?I agree Lambert would be lovely, but the realist in me thinks it unlikely unfortunately.[/quote]Assume Maric signs on and becomes the second experienced striker.I think we would be lucky to give Cureton away on a free (and free up some wage budget)  and I can''t see us getting a good experienced striker in exchange. Thus we have to look for another free or pay some money out for a third experienced striker.Earlier this summer there were was a comment about Huddersfield and Lambert. A fee of £750k was mentioned but not the wage level. If we offload Russell we may be able to afford Lambert. However you may be right and Lambert is out of our price range.BTW. I would try to send Daley and Renton (amongst others)out on loan this season.P.S. I haven''t forgotten your comment about the railways on a different thread and will start a new thread in the non footy section during the next couple of days.[/quote]
I can''t see us getting a good experienced striker in direct exchange either, but I would imagine that wages for cureton and what Lambert (or the ilk) would want would be similar enough.  In my mind then to get a good experienced striker we do then need to be looking at a Cureton + fee deal simply because rid of Curetons wages.[/quote]I think Maic will complete the jigsaw. There are always the emergency loans if either is injured.