Sign in to follow this  
taintedtom2000

Encouraging chat with a Shewsbury fan

Just thought I''d share with you the veiws of a Shrewsbury fan I work with in regard to Grant Holt. Basically he said that Holt was far too good for league two as well as being far above his stations at Shewsbury.

I questioned Holts strike rate (after the debate about the goals from open play / penatlties ratio). He said that this is a bit misguided and that to call Holt an out and out ''Goal Scorer'' would be wrong. Holt is apparently a big striker who prefers to play in his strike partner, his 28 goals last season was just an indication of the level at which he was playing in relation to his abilities.

Here is a short list of what my mate said:-

- You will very rarely see him misplace a pass

- His first touch is impecable

- He is a burly center forward who will really beat down defences

- Extremely reliable penalty taker

- Do not expect too many goals, but expect lots of assisits if played with a quick and skillful partner

- Excellent link up play with the rest of the team

- Popular squad member

- A real nice guy

- Will give his all whatever the score

All in all I think a good assesment and quite promising, especially possibly partnered with cody or a new signing?

Hopefully he''ll get a good run out tonight, will be a really good chance to compare him with Lee who will presumably be at the other end of the pitch!

I''m looking forward to seeing how well he fares against Championship defenders tonight.

Obviously ''Sod''s Law'' states Alan Lee will score a hat trick tonight, lets just hope Holt does the same.

He sounds like a great singing, would have been nice to see more of him on Saturday. Its encouraging to see him reviewed so highly by a fan of his former team. They''re often the people to have the most accusations about a player. Hopefully he''ll play with Cody, they could be a decent combination I reckon.

[quote user="taintedtom2000"]

Just thought I''d share with you the veiws of a Shrewsbury fan I work with in regard to Grant Holt. Basically he said that Holt was far too good for league two as well as being far above his stations at Shewsbury.

I questioned Holts strike rate (after the debate about the goals from open play / penatlties ratio). He said that this is a bit misguided and that to call Holt an out and out ''Goal Scorer'' would be wrong. Holt is apparently a big striker who prefers to play in his strike partner, his 28 goals last season was just an indication of the level at which he was playing in relation to his abilities.

- Do not expect too many goals, but expect lots of assisits if played with a quick and skillful partner

- Popular squad member

- A real nice guy

All in all I think a good assesment and quite promising, especially possibly partnered with cody or a new signing?

[/quote]cureton then?

[quote user="Admiral Nelson"][quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]This is the problem though. I bet we still won''t go sign a quick striker. Hopefully though[/quote] Is McDonald not quick enough for you?[/quote]

Yeah, but I''m not sure McDonald is going to be able to get 20-goals a season in his first full season as a professional player. I sure hope he can because I think he has potential to be an excellent player. But I''m not sure if he will quite be ready for that this season.

hahaha... Oh dear... is this what it has come to?

Encouraging chats with a Shrewsbury fan??? [:$]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

You do make me laugh how everything you post on here is solely to get a reaction Smudge!

Even you must be more optimistic for the coming season and you must now concerned about your bet for top 6 come Boxing day?

I live in Shrewsbury and I watched Holty play throughout last season - I think he''s a good signing for us, but let us not forget he''s just come from League 2 - and we need to be buying Championship quality players at least - so I don''t think we can expect TOO much from him.  That said, he''s an excellent target man, and as has been previously alluded to, his link up play is also top notch.

At Shrewsbury the fans called him "Superman" because he was often a cut above the rest at League 2 level.  He wears hit heart on his sleeve, and will shout at other players if he doesn''t feel they''re giving their all.  He could well be the perfect foil to Cody, as he''ll create chances for him with his head AND his feet.  He never really had a quick striker to work with at Shrewsbury, but I think he''d thrive alongside one.  Holt scored one of the best goals I have EVER seen (no exaggeration) in an away match against Rochdale last season; he picked the ball up on the edge of the area before flicking it over the head of an unrushing defender in Gascoigne-esque fashion and volleying it with his weaker left foot in to the top corner.  So he''s got ability, that''s for sure.

On the negative side, "Superman" faded somewhat towards the end of last season.  I feel his "kryptonite" was the huge weight of expectation put upon him by Shrews fans - he just looked plain knackered in the last few games, and was anonymous in the play-off final.  He also has a tendency to miss complete sitters (which means he''ll fit in well!), and often lacks composure in front of goal.  With this in mind, I''ll just reitterate what I said before - we shouldn''t put too much pressure on him to be our saviour, especially as he''ll get less chances at League 1 level than he was used to in League 2.

The comparisons with Iwan aren''t too wide of the mark, to be fair, although Holt is a more creative player and has a surprisingly good touch.

OTBC.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

YEP!! [8-|]  nothing wrong with that as far as I see!

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

You do make me laugh how everything you post on here is solely to get a reaction Smudge!

Even you must be more optimistic for the coming season and you must now concerned about your bet for top 6 come Boxing day?

[/quote]

Was that with you the bet?

I am looking forward to collecting my money... [:D]

[quote user="taintedtom2000"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

YEP!! [8-|]  nothing wrong with that as far as I see!

[/quote]

That is what I am concerned about... give it time!  [;)]

[quote user="taintedtom2000"]

- Popular squad member

- A real nice guy

[/quote]

Perhaps Goran Maric?

But cheers for the info [Y]

[quote user="Delia Out!"][quote user="taintedtom2000"]

- Popular squad member

- A real nice guy

[/quote]

Perhaps Goran Maric?

But cheers for the info [Y]

Not sure why, but I was of the impression that Maric was also a target man style striker? I hope we don''t just go with McDonald and Cureton in support of Maric / Holt. I still think were missing a quick striker who has some experience at legue 1 level!