Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Palace 0 - 1 Norwich

We have managed to beat what sounded a strong palace side with a team that has a good chance of starting the first game of the season.

Promising signs!!!!! [:D]

yeah, shame we couldn''t have had this side last summer, sounds like they put in a great shift out there. I remember how good Whaley was 2 years ago and seriously think he''ll be back to his best with us as he needed a change. Got more confidence in the midfeild duo on the back of this too, to think we might have Hughes, Stefanovic, Askou and Maric to add to this lot, looking good for now. Not gonna make anymore bold statements, not even got past the 8th Aug yet

This was Palace''s first pre-season defeat, so a great result! My only worry is Hoolahan was again very impressive and Palace might be tempted to put a bid in!

We must keep Hoolahan at all costs!

It''s obviously encouraging to beat a solid Championship side away from home but at the end of the day it''s not 3pts and what matters is how we perform from August through to May in competitive matches

Pre-season has been excellent so far. Getting the winning mentality is so important and makeup of squad looks good with more to come. We couldn''t have expected more.

Palace view (sort of)...

Palace suffer pre-season defeat

9:27pm Tuesday 28th July 2009

comment Comments (0)   Have your say »

Crystal Palace lost their first match of pre-season tonight as Norwich City recorded a 1-0 win at Selhurst Park.

Simon Whaley’s second-half strike was enough to end Palace’s

unbeaten run in a match where the Eagles struggled to make any chances.

There were also worrying scenes in the second half when Michael

Nelson had to be stretchered from the field in a neck brace following a

mid-air collision with Jose Fonte.

Palace played a 4-3-3 with Alan Lee flanked by Victor Moses and

Freddie Sears upfront but created just the one chance in the first half

when Sears could only shoot over from Nick Carle’s pass.

At the other end Wes Hoolahan hit the post direct from a corner and curled a left-footed shot wide.

After the break Clint Hill had a header cleared off the line by Gary Doherty before the Canaries took the lead.

Gary Holt twisted his way past Paddy McCarthy and laid the ball back for the unmarked Whaley to side foot home.

Sears came close to levelling a minute later but Michael Theoklitos pushed his 20-yard effort around the post.

Chris Bright came close to adding a second for Norwich late on but

his close range shoot deflected off Matt Lawrence and looped over.

There was another appearance for trialist Stefan Cox from Lewes

late on and Fonte played the last 20 minutes upfront after Lee went

off.

Crystal Palace: Julian Speroni, Nathanial Clyne (Danny Butterfield,

70), Paddy McCarthy, Jose Fonte, Clint Hill (Stefan Cox, 85), Shaun

Derry (Alessane N’Diaye, 90), Neil Danns, Nick Carle (Lee Hills, 70),

Victor Moses (Sean Scannell, h-t), Alan Lee (Matt Lawrence, 70),

Freddie Sears.

Norwich City: Michael Theoklitos, Michael Spillane, Gary Doherty,

Adam Drury (Paul McVeigh, 79) Matthew Gill, Michael Nelson (Chris

Bright, 81) Wes Hoolahan, Owain Tudor-Jones (Tom Adeyemi, 85), Simon

Whalley (Dario Dumic, 87), Grant Holt (Simon Lappin, 69), Chris Martin

GARY Holt twisted his way past McCarthy and laid the ball back... now I would pay money to see that ;)

Yes I agree.[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I would imagine baring injury, this will be our 1st 11 come Colchester.[/quote]

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I would imagine baring injury, this will be our 1st 11 come Colchester.[/quote]

I thought that too, just about our strongest line up, hope SPillane keeps right back but can see hughes coming in for Gill and Maric maybe for Martin?

[quote user="colneycanary"]This was Palace''s first pre-season defeat, so a great result! My only worry is Hoolahan was again very impressive and Palace might be tempted to put a bid in! We must keep Hoolahan at all costs![/quote]

I wouldn''t worry, they don''t have a bean to spend and they need strikers. All they have is Lee and Sears.

It is looking good so far and signs are promising for the season ahead.  I just hope we can take this form on and get a decent result against Wigan (whom I expect to beat us) and then be ready for Colchester in a weeks time.

It is nearly here again!

[quote user="Lincs CR"]GARY Holt twisted his way past McCarthy and laid the ball back... now I would pay money to see that ;)[/quote]I did. It was nearly worth the outrageous 15 quid Palace see fit to charge for a quiet Tuesday night in the black hole of southest south London. Most annoying away journey ever. I vow not to bother every time. Nice draggy backy turney thing from the big fella though. Also Whaley did 2 palace defenders a-la Hucks with a shimmying sprint between them. Nice!

I went last night and my confidence in norwich getting out of this leauge has grown. I have no doubt that we will be  aforce in this leauge.

The whole team looked very useful.

Holt looked like a warhorse battle for everthing, Should have scored but worked hard to set up the goal. Wes in the 2nd half  was quality, he drifted in the middle looking for the ball and had palace worried.

I have to disagree with the comment about Martin looking good. I thought he was poor, ok in the first half but not intrested in the 2nd.

I know it was only a friendly but god Palace were poor.

The only bad news other than Nelson getting KO''d was the £2.50 for a small coke in the bar. :(

[quote user="SE London Canary"]

I went last night and my confidence in norwich getting out of this leauge has grown. I have no doubt that we will be  aforce in this leauge.

The whole team looked very useful.

Holt looked like a warhorse battle for everthing, Should have scored but worked hard to set up the goal. Wes in the 2nd half  was quality, he drifted in the middle looking for the ball and had palace worried.

I have to disagree with the comment about Martin looking good. I thought he was poor, ok in the first half but not intrested in the 2nd.

I know it was only a friendly but god Palace were poor.

The only bad news other than Nelson getting KO''d was the £2.50 for a small coke in the bar. :(

[/quote]Palace were poor. I wonder how much that had to do with our side getting amongst them and creating passing moves. I also think they underestimated us. Warnock looked livid for almost the entire match.

Warnock did look very moody, as he does most games. His managment and tatics are so pradictable. Big guy at the back big guy up front, Big guy at the back hooofs it up to big guy up front.

We out played them and at parts it looked pleasing on the eye.