Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 III

Winning habit continues - and increases pressure accordingly

But for the last few minutes against Man Utd U21''s we would have won every pre-season game so far. Not much to brag about to be sure, but the results overall are more important than the sum of their parts. Look at pre-season results for the likes of Man Utd or Arsenal in years gone by. Not too many "doesn''t matter, it''s only pre-season" results there. The winning mentality is instilled whatever the match, whatever the opposition, whomever is selected, and every win reinforces that belief and mentality.

Gunn has proved nothing yet and won''t do until competitive matches begin. However the pre-season, from the selection of opponents becoming gradually more challenging, to the team bonding which by all accounts is working well, to the obviously good signings, has been the best pre-season I can remember, and it gives us every chance going into the new season.

The big question is can Gunn sustain a successful team once tactics and motivation become an issue? Only an appalling run of injuries to key players could excuse him not producing a winning team now. Everything else he could wish for is in place. By his own hand he has produced the perfect platform for success, and now he has to live or die on results alone. If he can''t do it now he never will.

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

But for the last few minutes against Man Utd U21''s we would have won every pre-season game so far. Not much to brag about to be sure, but the results overall are more important than the sum of their parts. Look at pre-season results for the likes of Man Utd or Arsenal in years gone by. Not too many "doesn''t matter, it''s only pre-season" results there. The winning mentality is instilled whatever the match, whatever the opposition, whomever is selected, and every win reinforces that belief and mentality.

Gunn has proved nothing yet and won''t do until competitive matches begin. However the pre-season, from the selection of opponents becoming gradually more challenging, to the team bonding which by all accounts is working well, to the obviously good signings, has been the best pre-season I can remember, and it gives us every chance going into the new season.

The big question is can Gunn sustain a successful team once tactics and motivation become an issue? Only an appalling run of injuries to key players could excuse him not producing a winning team now. Everything else he could wish for is in place. By his own hand he has produced the perfect platform for success, and now he has to live or die on results alone. If he can''t do it now he never will.

[/quote]

Very nice post.

I don''t think too many are getting carried away. As you rightly say Gunn hasn''t won a LG 1 match yet.

You have to give credit to the fact that a number of the pre-season transfer goals have been achieved given the budget constraints.

I aplaud those who didn''t claim their rebate as this made a big difference to our transfer budget.

It was levelled at the club that we lacked ambition. That may have been true in the past but the board have backed Gunn when they could have said maybe 5 permanent players maixmum with the rest being young players.

I frankly expected us to be playing a lot more youth team players this year.

What would be a fantastic senario is that we have a great start and are able to introduce the younger players without putting undue pressure on them. (maybe in the minor cup matches)

The truth is...... Gunn will be under pressure to produce......... and produce quickly........... and to be honest with the backing he has had from the board and fans.......... anything less than top 6 is a complete failure.

Saying that I think we will do well. I think many teams will be nervous about coming to Carrow road.

A number of the newly promoted teams would never have played in front of that many people.

The overall size of our team should make us intimidating to younger players that will make up many of the teams in LG1.

Hopefully we will keep our unbeaten record going in the pre-season.

But we face by far our toughest test with Wigan. They look to be taking no prisoners with their thumping of Preston.    

Yep, not keen on us keeping on winning like this on a regular basis. Come on Gunny sort it out. I blame Delia.

I agree Canary, the ramping up of the opposition as we have moved through the friendlies makes a whole lot of sense,and the gelling of the team seems to be on target. Of course things will be tougher when the real action starts but we have at least given ourselves a chance of getting a good start to the season. I think we are seeing the benefits of the management team approach with Gunny maybe setting the agenda (with McNally) and Butterworth and Crook putting it into action.

Yes it is only Div 3, and no we shouldn''t be there but we have no ''right'' to be elswhere but, hell, I am optimistic. Even if it takes a couple of seasons.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

I aplaud those who didn''t claim their rebate as this made a big difference to our transfer budget.

[/quote]

I also applaud those who did claim the rebate, as it sent a message which seems to have got through at long last.  The focus is back on football. 

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

I also applaud those who did claim the rebate, as it sent a message which seems to have got through at long last.  The focus is back on football. 

[/quote]

Yep, certainly shocked those at the top...Let''s hope they don''t get complacent and again lose the ''football focus''...[Y]

A very good interesting thread.

Must agree with Cherub though.2/3rds claiming rebate sent a few shock waves through The Carra.... and not before time.

Credit to Mr Chairman and CEO for seemingly transforming the atmosphere in the club and just as importantly sending out the correct message to the football world. No longer the soft touch. Marvellous!

original post at 3.31am !!  you an insomniac or ''working'' nights??

I love the sentiment of the post but we have to remember we''ve only played Fakenham, Dartford, Raith Rovers, St Johnstone, Airdrie, Dereham, a load of 17-year-olds from Manchester and Crystal Palace. When Crystal Palace stand out head-and-shoulders as the best team we''ve played so far, that says a lot.

But yes, I am glad the winning mentality is coming back to the club and players are clicking. It''s also nice to beat Palace, whenever we play them.

Yes games getting harder and pressure yes maybe but i was a very proud canarie this morning we beat our bogey team AWAY !!!! friendly or not  ave it!!  feeling confident now bring on colchester

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

I love the sentiment of the post but we have to remember we''ve only played Fakenham, Dartford, Raith Rovers, St Johnstone, Airdrie, Dereham, a load of 17-year-olds from Manchester and Crystal Palace. When Crystal Palace stand out head-and-shoulders as the best team we''ve played so far, that says a lot.

But yes, I am glad the winning mentality is coming back to the club and players are clicking. It''s also nice to beat Palace, whenever we play them.

[/quote]

What St Johnstone as in the team which won the Scottish 1st division and are therefore SPL quality? also to correct you Man Utd youngsters were the best team we''ve played so far; Palace were awful!

What St Johnstone as in the team which won the Scottish 1st division and are therefore SPL quality? also to correct you Man Utd youngsters were the best team we''ve played so far; Palace were awful!

you what?? was laughing at this before i finished the sentence!!

Let''s enjoy a successful pre-season and give the new team and the management team a chance to set the League One on fire.

Good to see the new Chairman talking up expectations and demanding promotion first time.

Can they do it? I think that they can. The early away games will be a good indication of how much our hopes will be meet.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[/quote]

A Palace side that should be better than any team we will play in the league this season!

Pre-season games mean bugger all to be honest, I can remember before the 88-89 season we got hammered by Hull, Hereford & Ipswich and then went & won our first 4 games and led Divison 1 for half a season!

[quote user="Norfolk Dumpling"]Let''s enjoy a successful pre-season and give the new team and the management team a chance to set the League One on fire. Good to see the new Chairman talking up expectations and demanding promotion first time. Can they do it? I think that they can. The early away games will be a good indication of how much our hopes will be meet.[/quote]

I agree. There can be no excuses.......... take a look at this page for current transfers in LG 1

http://soccerlens.com/english-league-one-transfers/

Compare us with most of the others in the division. Plus I can see us adding 2-3 more players.

We are looking to get out of this division at the first attempt and building for a life in the champs.