Sign in to follow this  
Norma Stick

If Askou signs what is your preffered central defensive partnership?

Wel seeing as how Doc is the captain I would guess he will be starting most games, so Doc and Askou for me...

[quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"]For me, it has to be Nelson and Askou. I think both of these have more to offer than Doherty. Thoughts...........[/quote]

I''m yet to see Nelson and Askou play but I doubt either of them are better defenders than Doherty.

And I think Gunn, Butterworth and Crook will see it that way too.

Fair point a fit Dejan has to play, if he actually stays with us that is....

I hope Dejan does stay. His experience would prove invaluable at this level. He is obviously not the quickest player, but he seems to be exactly where the ball turns up before it actually does. A sign of a quality defender

In all honesty i would be happy with any two from the choice we have but if i had to pick Nelson and Askou for me!

Doc and Dejan or Nelson.

Doc was commanding last night, really impressed with how he dominated both Alan Lee and Freddie Sears, also pretty obvious that he will start as he is the captain otherwise why not give it to another player. I think they''ll use Dejan as cover at least initially as he''s too old and injury prone to play every game. Askou is promising but he doesn''t look as good as either Doc or Nelson, was caught out a couple of times in the second half by the Man Utd IX and is not quite as tall or strong as either (I know Doc gave away a pen in that match but he was magnficent against Palarse).

I would say if i had all four fighting fit and on their best form. Proberably Askou and Stefanovic for me. Doherty on the bench. But in reality Doerty will be first choice and the other 3 will be fighting to be alongside him. Stefanovic has a long career behind him with massive experience and also that left foot would suit for Gary but then again he is injury prone as we all know and needs to get back to full fitness. Askou seems a very impressive center half and Nelson who i haven''t seen has had a no nonsense tag placed on him which suits this league with the physical side of things..

I would like to see Doherty and Askou.

Mind you I think we have too many Centre Backs!

Doherty, Askou, Nelson, Stefanovic, Dumic, Spillane etc.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"]For me, it has to be Nelson and Askou. I think both of these have more to offer than Doherty. Thoughts...........[/quote]

I''m yet to see Nelson and Askou play but I doubt either of them are better defenders than Doherty.

And I think Gunn, Butterworth and Crook will see it that way too.

[/quote]

You must be having a laugh!!!!! I would take either of them over Doherty in a heart beat.

My preferred pairing would be Stefanovic and Askou.

However, given the likelihood of Stefanovic''s pre-season absence turning permanent, and Doc''s captaincy, I think Gunn will be looking to pair Doc and Nelson. If Askou starts against Colchester because Nelson hasn''t recovered though, possession could prove 9/10 of the law.

How many of these people calling for Askou to walk straight in have actually seen enough of him to make their mind up. I haven''t and while i haven''t its better the devil you know for me!There were lots of people calling for powell and mtandari to be signed up after fakenham, but have gone quiet and after seeing powell (and don''t even know if the other was playing) at dereham, they were hopeless, you''d have taken cureton over powell anyday!!!!Maybe we should judge the guy askou once we''ve seen him at our level. On that note, isn''t it funny how some new signings are slated before they''ve kicke a ball and others are put on a pedestal???? Funny ol'' lot us "message boarders"

It will be Doc and Nelson with Askou, Dumic and Stephens has back up - i expect Dejan will be off loaded when fit to balance the books.

To be honest it will be nice to have 4 -6 good players to choose from unlike last year all capable of a cleen sheet

[quote user="DGC"]How many of these people calling for Askou to walk straight in have actually seen enough of him to make their mind up. I haven''t and while i haven''t its better the devil you know for me!

There were lots of people calling for powell and mtandari to be signed up after fakenham, but have gone quiet and after seeing powell (and don''t even know if the other was playing) at dereham, they were hopeless, you''d have taken cureton over powell anyday!!!!

Maybe we should judge the guy askou once we''ve seen him at our level. On that note, isn''t it funny how some new signings are slated before they''ve kicke a ball and others are put on a pedestal???? Funny ol'' lot us "message boarders"
[/quote]

Not quite sure why you''re bringing up strikers but, as you are, I thought Powell was by far the best player on the pitch at Fakenham and probably worth a shout.  Big, strong, very quick and two good feet, scored 2 and hit the woodwork twice.  Choice between him and "cows arse Curo"? No contest.

Back to the original post, I''m afraid, much as I like the old Doc, that he''d be 4th on the pecking list from what I''ve seen so far.   1/ A fit Dejan  2/ Askou or Nelson.  I don''t know if either of them are natural lefties so that would make a difference.  Anyone know?

[quote user="Scooby"]

[quote user="DGC"]How many of these people calling for Askou to walk straight in have actually seen enough of him to make their mind up. I haven''t and while i haven''t its better the devil you know for me!

There were lots of people calling for powell and mtandari to be signed up after fakenham, but have gone quiet and after seeing powell (and don''t even know if the other was playing) at dereham, they were hopeless, you''d have taken cureton over powell anyday!!!!

Maybe we should judge the guy askou once we''ve seen him at our level. On that note, isn''t it funny how some new signings are slated before they''ve kicke a ball and others are put on a pedestal???? Funny ol'' lot us "message boarders"
[/quote]

Not quite sure why you''re bringing up strikers but, as you are, I thought Powell was by far the best player on the pitch at Fakenham and probably worth a shout.  Big, strong, very quick and two good feet, scored 2 and hit the woodwork twice.  Choice between him and "cows arse Curo"? No contest.

Back to the original post, I''m afraid, much as I like the old Doc, that he''d be 4th on the pecking list from what I''ve seen so far.   1/ A fit Dejan  2/ Askou or Nelson.  I don''t know if either of them are natural lefties so that would make a difference.  Anyone know?

[/quote]

Dejan is left footed, is he not?

[quote user="Delia Out"]

I would like to see Doherty and Askou.

Mind you I think we have too many Centre Backs!

Doherty, Askou, Nelson, Stefanovic, Dumic, Spillane etc.

[/quote]

Plus David Stephens.......

Isn''t this much better than last year when we were wondering if we had ANY centre backs with Drury being forced to start.

These are the "good" problems to have.

Virtually every player in our squad will be looking over their shoulder knowing they will get dropped if they don''t perform.

With 50+ games this year and 7 subs we are going to need a lot of players.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"][quote user="Scooby"]

[quote user="DGC"]How many of these people calling for Askou to walk straight in have actually seen enough of him to make their mind up. I haven''t and while i haven''t its better the devil you know for me!There were lots of people calling for powell and mtandari to be signed up after fakenham, but have gone quiet and after seeing powell (and don''t even know if the other was playing) at dereham, they were hopeless, you''d have taken cureton over powell anyday!!!!Maybe we should judge the guy askou once we''ve seen him at our level. On that note, isn''t it funny how some new signings are slated before they''ve kicke a ball and others are put on a pedestal???? Funny ol'' lot us "message boarders"[/quote]

[/quote]

Dejan is left footed, is he not?

[/quote]yes he isplayed as a left back for a year for pompey.

how about play all 3, in a 3 4 3 formation

theo

nelson            doc             askou

otj

whaley                    gill/hughes               pattison/lappin

hoolahan

grant                martin/maric/cody