Sign in to follow this  
fish-ncfc

Colchester

I''ll do it here anyway:                               TheoSpillane        Askou            Nelson            Drury            Whaley    Tudor-Jones     Hughes                            Hoolahan                     Maric           Holt                   

I think the doc will be in there instead, as he''s captain, but I don''t think he warrants a starting position over Askou, unless we are aiming for a pen a match agin

[quote user="scrimmage"]I think the doc will be in there instead, as he''s captain, but I don''t think he warrants a starting position over Askou, unless we are aiming for a pen a match agin[/quote]For God''s sake, he''s not the best defender in the world, but at least be fair - the guy only gave away one valid penalty last season! Clingan gave away more, I believe...

OK, I''ll be fair, everyone says he''s slow but i believe last season he was one of the fastest players at the club, behind only semmy? He''s an average defender, clumsy at times, gets sent off about half as often as Darel Russell and gets turned fairly easy quite often. He can be solid and normally when I''m at a match I believe he''ll win the ball over their strikers. I also think he''s a good captain as he is vocal and lets other team members know what''s going on and encourages them. On the other hand, Askou is a quality defender who is good in the air and on the ground, gets forward and can score a goal or two as well. Maybe he would be better as a sub once Doc has been sent off :p

The Doc will be a rock in league 1, make no mistake. I think he could be one of our most important players this season. He''s a totally immovable lump, but fit as a fiddle nowadays. The sort of strikers he''ll be up against in league one will bounce off him all day long.

I agree that in the prem and to a lesser extent in the championship he can be found out and can get turned by tricky/clever type strikers but he won''t face much of that in the day to day rough and tumble of league 1.

He''s one of the first names on the sheet for me. Yes Nutty, you read that right!

Theo

Spillane       Doc      Askou     Drury

Whaley    Tudur Jones Gill     Hoolahan

Maric           Holt

Theo

Semmy       Doc      Askou     Drury

Whaley    Tudur Jones Hughes     Hoolahan

Maric           Holt

[quote user="scrimmage"]OK, I''ll be fair, everyone says he''s slow but i believe last season he was one of the fastest players at the club, behind only semmy? He''s an average defender, clumsy at times, gets sent off about half as often as Darel Russell and gets turned fairly easy quite often. He can be solid and normally when I''m at a match I believe he''ll win the ball over their strikers. I also think he''s a good captain as he is vocal and lets other team members know what''s going on and encourages them. On the other hand, Askou is a quality defender who is good in the air and on the ground, gets forward and can score a goal or two as well. Maybe he would be better as a sub once Doc has been sent off :p[/quote]I think Doc''s fast when he gets going, but has the acceleration and turning circle of a cruise liner. [;)] Was very impressed with Askou vs. Man Utd U12s, much less so with Nelson, but not had a chance to see him properly to be fair. Perhaps a Doc/Askou partnership would be first choice?

For christs sake - Doc is going to be a solid defender at this level.  This constant abuse for a guy who had several partners at the ack last season, had a dody keeper behind him and got no protection from a shocking midfield is bordering on moronic.[quote user="scrimmage"]I think the doc will be in there instead, as he''s captain, but I don''t think he warrants a starting position over Askou, unless we are aiming for a pen a match agin[/quote]

And what are you basing you "quality defender" tag on, one show against the Man Utd kids?If he is so loody good how come nobody else was clamouring for him?  He offers another option to Doc and NElson and gives us more options, but please do not slate a key player and then say a rand new signing is "quality" without any evidence - you just look silly.[quote user="scrimmage"]OK, I''ll be fair, everyone says he''s slow but i believe last season he was one of the fastest players at the club, behind only semmy? He''s an average defender, clumsy at times, gets sent off about half as often as Darel Russell and gets turned fairly easy quite often. He can be solid and normally when I''m at a match I believe he''ll win the ball over their strikers. I also think he''s a good captain as he is vocal and lets other team members know what''s going on and encourages them. On the other hand, Askou is a quality defender who is good in the air and on the ground, gets forward and can score a goal or two as well. Maybe he would be better as a sub once Doc has been sent off :p[/quote]

No I''m going on what the people who saw him in scotland said. He put in solid performances and won everything in the air apparently. OK I admit that Doc will probably be solid in league 1 as it''s more his level now. And others were after him. Gunn said both him and Maric had other offers on the table, but the FACILITIES made them come here.